• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fighting racism at schools

What's' your opinion?

• Yes, teaching diversity classes to high school kids is a good idea

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, don't teach diversity classes

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So there's this wealthy Dallas suburb. A viral video showed a bunch of high school kids making racist remarks.

The suburb is 80% white and 4% black.

There was a school meeting and black kids said that they faced racist jokes and remarks on a daily basis.

So the school decided to have a mandatory "diversity" class where kids would be taught to be sensitive to minorities.

White parents lost their minds. School board meetings became a shouting match.

Elections for school board trustees became highly competitive. A lot of out-of-state money was donated to campaigns. People who were against the diversity class were elected.

The diversity class was shut down.

2/3rds of this suburb voted for trump.

A viral video forced a wealthy Texas suburb to confront racism. A 'silent majority' fought back. (nbcnews.com)

My opinion is: I don't see a problem with teaching a kids "diversity" class. Every job I've held has a diversity/sexism class. If schools prepare kids for life, letting kids know that racist behavior isn't allowed in public is a good idea.

What's' your opinion?

They're preparing kids for a life of white privilege.

NO.

"Diversity classes" are a big waste of time & money.

What is needed is for certain folks to improve their attitude and behavior. Then "racism" would disappear naturally.

You cannot force people to like people who act badly.

NO.

What is needed is for certain folks to improve their attitude and behavior. Then "racism" would disappear naturally.

You're not forcing anyone to do anything.

You're telling them that what they are saying is hurtful to others. That you and everyone else are better off if you don't say racist things.

The earlier these classes start the better. Children learn to hate 'others'. They are not born that way.

You're telling them that what they are saying is hurtful to others. That you and everyone else are better off if you don't say racist things.

Who says that certain students are being verbally harassed?

We have learned the hard way that not a few accusers have been fibbing (remember that TV "star" in Chicago?).

So there's this wealthy Dallas suburb. A viral video showed a bunch of high school kids making racist remarks.

There was a school meeting and black kids said that they faced racist jokes and remarks on a daily basis.

So the school decided to have a mandatory "diversity" class where kids would be taught to be sensitive to minorities.

Elections for school board trustees became highly competitive. A lot of out-of-state money was donated to campaigns. People who were against the diversity class were elected.

A viral video forced a wealthy Texas suburb to confront racism. A 'silent majority' fought back. (nbcnews.com)

My opinion is: I don't see a problem with teaching a kids "diversity" class. Every job I've held has a diversity/sexism class. If schools prepare kids for life, letting kids know that racist behavior isn't allowed in public is a good idea.

What's' your opinion?

Very sad picture that we need always be concerned with others but without those concerns we loose our humanity. But I mistrust vemently the way in which caring for others is taught in public schools. Indoctrination by one sect against another results in evermore hatred. And that is the way it’s taught by the teachers union‘s of America.

The more important question to ask is what are the children being taught at home? If you want to fight racism I would say the parents have a bigger role to play than the schools.

"Diversity Training" is a package straight from the Marxist communist organization Black Lives Matter (BLM). This particular package is loaded with both blatant and subtle ("microaggression") false racism definitions and lots of communist critical race theory ideology that is designed to not just employ compensatory reverse racism against Whites, but to destabilize capitalist society culture.

Thus BLM's "Diversity Training" and anything derived from it should not be taught anywhere in northern capitalist countries.

Nevertheless, some form of true sensitivity education does need to be presented, not just by the schools, but also by the parents.

The challenge here is that this school district's situation is not an example of "systemic racism", but merely reflects the attitudes of some kids who are likely having physical/emotional abuse-abandonment problems at home. Kids subjected to this can let out their related pain on others in the form of bullying .. that can include racist talk and action.

If these kids are exposed to school sensitivity education about race then a significant number of them will only increase their racist talk and action as a form of "rebellion".

These kind of kids cannot really be dealt with from a sensitivity/education perspective, and if there's any correction that can occur it must be dealt with in psychotherapy, not just for the kid, but for the parents too, the parents who are nearly always the root of the kid's problem.

This thus makes it difficult for schools to effectively deal with the problem.

Schools can implement a zero-tolerance policy of prohibiting truly undebatable racist talk and action on school grounds with suspension for first offense and expulsion for second offense. This will put the ball back in the parents' court where it really belongs, and such severe punishment is often what's necessary to motivate parents to take action. The danger here though is that if the parents don't handle the situation well then their kid's mere transfer and displacement of pain can get stuffed and then turn into real hatred .. and that's very bad.

What's' your opinion?

I see a problem with "diversity" classes.

That problem being that somebody has to decide what is diversity, what is a problem, and what should be taught.

That decision is always100% agenda driven.

That problem being that somebody has to decide what is diversity, what is a problem, and what should be taught.

This comment supports that.

OTE]

Another racist comment from an anti racist.

What's' your opinion?

My problem is that “diversity” has taken on a meaning that suggests affirmative action, quotes and legislative action. I don’t want a situation where entities have to keep and report statistics on the number of LGBQT, people of color, oldsters etc. they employ, and have some nameless bureaucrat pronounce judgement on the entire - maybe even adjudging fines and penalties.

Diversity has to happen naturally, with little effort otherwise it’s just another administrative burden.

If the goal of the diversity class is to build empathy by simply encouraging white students to hear their fellow students of color and see where they're coming from. White folks are very sensitive, though; the facilitators need to be very warm and inviting in their approach.

What's' your opinion?
Those involved and guilty should be dealt with and punished.

What's' your opinion?

Suspend the assholes who do this, and if they continue to do so expell their asses!

Why is the focus always on white racists? Do all black people love white people? We should address racism as an “everyone” problem and we might get somewhere…

Waste of time. Which then morphs into something even more stupid or evil. The road to hell is paved with the victims of good intentions.

What's' your opinion?
"Race" does not exist in biological taxonomy. It is a word invented by bigots to create hate and divisiveness. Therefore, anyone who uses the word is in fact a bigot. Besides everyone knows that you are automatically considered a "racist" whenever you disagree with leftist filth. So this thread is really about fighting those who disagree with leftist filth.

Doesn't that apply to literally anything taught in schools? It's not as if there aren't controversies and conflicts about what is taught in some actual academic areas too. Something being difficult isn't automatically a reason not to try though.

Doesn't that apply to literally anything taught in schools? It's not as if there aren't controversies and conflicts about what is taught in some actual academic areas too. Something being difficult isn't automatically a reason not to try though.
No. History, for example, should be taught through objective observation. Mathematics and science are not left up to other people's interpretation. When you get into identity politics, such as this "diversity" nonsense, then you are indoctrinating a leftist and very bigoted ideology.

What's' your opinion?

Punish the kids that bullied other students.

Period.

It is a really simple concept.

ZERO bullying...and that includes if kids are making racist remarks to other students.

If schools actually dealt with BULLYING, there'd be a lot less problems.

Punish the kids that bullied other students.

Period.

It is a really simple concept.

ZERO bullying...and that includes if kids are making racist remarks to other students.

If schools actually dealt with BULLYING, there'd be a lot less problems.
When I went to school it was up to the one being bullied to put an end to it. It was not the place of the school. The bullied need to learn how to deal with bullies, it is an integral part of their education. Which is why schools and parents need to butt out, otherwise the bullied will never learn and become bullied their entire lives.

NO.

That's overtly racist and has two "likes".

Back
Top Bottom