• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Feisal Abdul Rauf Interview on Larry King Live

Jucon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
In case you missed it...

CNN Larry King Live Interview with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf
9/9/2010: With so much controversy about the Islamic Center near Ground Zero, the Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf agreed to an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien on Larry King live.

They cover many of the questions people have had about the project and about the Imam himself.

Interview in four parts:
YouTube - Part 1: Soledad O'Brien Larry King interview with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf 9/8/2010
YouTube - Part 2: Soledad O'Brien Larry King interview with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf 9/8/2010
YouTube - Part 3: Soledad O'Brien Larry King interview with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf 9/8/2010
YouTube - Part 4: Soledad O'Brien Larry King interview with Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf 9/8/2010

Transcript:
CNN.com - Transcripts

I'm glad he agreed to finally address people's concerns and questions.

Unfortunately it seems that all some media pundits have gotten out of this interview is what they interpret as a "threat" from the Imam when he talked about how we need to handle this debate delicately. I don't know if Fox News is full of idiots or if they are trying to mislead people... but their constant barrage of harassment of this Imam is very disturbing.

i note he doesn't seem to address the concern that the assistant Imam of this mosque is a 9/11 truther.

and yeah, it was a threat. i get my way or you're gonna get creamed is a threat, however much 'nuance' is put into it.

either way, the entire interview is a joke; Imam Rauf is long-practiced in the art of saying one thing in english to western audiences and another in arabic to muslim ones. this is a man who refuses to admit hamas as a terrorist organization (says he doesn't want to 'make enemies') and praises Iran's thugocracy even as it beats its' people in the streets.

Last edited:
There was no threat. Stewart handled that silliness rather well last night. I do wish people would listen to understand as opposed to push illogical stupidty.

i note he doesn't seem to address the concern that the assistant Imam of this mosque is a 9/11 truther.

and yeah, it was a threat. i get my way or you're gonna get creamed is a threat, however much 'nuance' is put into it.

either way, the entire interview is a joke; Imam Rauf is long-practiced in the art of saying one thing in english to western audiences and another in arabic to muslim ones. this is a man who refuses to admit hamas as a terrorist organization (says he doesn't want to 'make enemies') and praises Iran's thugocracy even as it beats its' people in the streets.

As he has said many times, the Imam is open to discussion about the specifics of this Islamic Center. There was no "I'm doing this my way". He specifically said...

RAUF: I am extremely concerned about sensitivity. But I also have a responsibility. If we move from that location, the story will be that the radicals have taken over the discourse. The headlines in the Muslim world will be that Islam is under attack. And I'm less concerned about the radicals in America than I'm concerned about the radicals in the Muslim world.

O'BRIEN: But isn't that also saying you're less concerned about the voices of opposition here?

RAUF: And if we do -- no, no, no, no. I'm sorry, I don't mean it that way. I meant it, the danger from the radicals in the Muslim world to our national security, to the national security of our troops.

I have a niece who works in the Army and served in Iraq. The concern for American citizens who live and work and travel overseas will increasingly be compromised if the radicals are strengthened. And if we do move, it will strengthen the argument of the radicals to recruit, their ability to recruit, and their increasing aggression and violence against our country.

O'BRIEN: Then why is it hard to back up and say, and now that we've done it, let's undo it, let's just say we won't. Let's pick another spot that's been offered?

RAUF: As I just mentioned, our national security now hinges on how we negotiate this, how we speak about it, and what we do. It is important for us now to raise the bar on our conversation--

O'BRIEN: What's the risk? When you say "national security," what's the risk?

RAUF: As I mentioned, because if we move, that means the radicals have shaped the discourse. The radicals will shape the discourse on both sides. And those of us who are moderates on both sides -- you see Soledad, the battle front is not between Muslims and non-Muslims. The real battle front is between moderates on all sides of all the faith traditions and the radicals on all sides. The radicals actually feed off each other. And in some kind of existential way, need each other. And the more that the radicals are able to control the discourse on one side, it strengthens the radicals on the other side and vice versa. We have to turn this around.

O'BRIEN: Let me play a question from an i-reporter. Her name is Cathy Cortson (ph). And she's in Fullerton, California. Let's listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CATHY CORTSON: Why couldn't you find another -- another place? I just feel like there's an ulterior motive. And I know that's probably wrong, but that's how I feel. And I think a lot of Americans feel that way, too. That you want to upset us for some reason. Is that true?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

RAUF: No, it's not true. It is not our intention to create more conflict. This is our intention to say we, as Muslims, we as American Muslims, want to contribute to the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan. We want to enhance relationships with our American non-Muslim fellow countrymen. We want to forge better relationships. And we want to be part of the solution. Not only want to be, we are ready. We are willing. And we are able to be part of the solution. If the problem is perceived to lie in the Muslim community, which definitely a certain amount of that is, if the problem is perceived as a matter of religion, then we -- then the solution also lies in our being engaged in this process. We are not going to achieve peace between the West and the Muslim world without the engagement of Muslims and Western Muslims in particular.

O'BRIEN: You can see the police officer there. That is the location of this proposed Islamic center. I was there yesterday. People carrying placards are walking by. We're back with Imam Feisal. Nice to have you. Feisal, excuse me. Nice to have you.

Wouldn't it further the goal of peacemaking, and you've talked a lot about it, to move it? Why is that an option that's off the table now?

RAUF: Nothing is off the table, Soledad.

O'BRIEN: It's not off the table?

RAUF: But we are consulting. We're talking to various people about how to do this so that we negotiate the best and the safest option. As I mentioned--

O'BRIEN: What are those conversations like? What's on the table?

RAUF: The biggest issue is the national security issue.

O'BRIEN: How do you pull out without looking like you've lost?

RAUF: Without making it look like -- without making it look, both in this country and in the Muslim world. You must remember, Soledad, and Americans must remember, that what we do is watched all over the world, all over the world. And we are very engaged with the Muslim world, very engaged. And our security is really number one. Our national security, our personal security, is extremely important. And this issue has become, now, a national security issue. And therefore, in our conversations, in our decision making process, we have to weigh many, many factors, and that has been dominant among them.

O'BRIEN: Is there a middle ground that has you pull out of the center and do something else? That's what it sounds like you're saying. Is it possible?

RAUF: We are discussing many things right now. But, you know, we haven't found, yet an option that would work in a safe way.

O'BRIEN: What are what you're considering it?

RAUF: As I said, we consider everything in life. But we have to be very cautious here because the voices of the radicals have ratcheted up. And we must make sure that the moderates take over the conversation.

If those sound like threats, then I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this one.

But in my opinion, he is correct in what he's saying. I personally am not worried about the moderate Muslims... I am however very worried about the radical Muslims who see this entire debate and the possibility of forcing this Islamic Center elsewhere as an attack on Islam. Unless this discussion is handled in a moderate manner, as the Imam said, it has and will embolden the radicals on all sides. And that's something I'm very worried about, and obviously the Imam is worried about it too.

The only threat would come from the radicals... and to talk about this threat is not a threat in itself.

There was no threat. Stewart handled that silliness rather well last night. I do wish people would listen to understand as opposed to push illogical stupidty.

Perhaps the word warning would be better than threat. But the fact remains that it seems to be an ominous sign that muslims are able to scare the West into actions. Where does this lead? As a wacky example what ig they said it might be better for the west to stop trying to go green and make our oil less valuable. If not certain people could resent it and westerners might be killed.

Perhaps the word warning would be better than threat. But the fact remains that it seems to be an ominous sign that muslims are able to scare the West into actions. Where does this lead? As a wacky example what ig they said it might be better for the west to stop trying to go green and make our oil less valuable. If not certain people could resent it and westerners might be killed.

Any idiot can see that moving the mosque would be a victory for the radicals in Islam. Keeping the mosque is a victory to the moderates and a defeat to the racist islamophobes that infest the US right.

Any idiot can see that moving the mosque would be a victory for the radicals in Islam. Keeping the mosque is a victory to the moderates and a defeat to the racist islamophobes that infest the US right.

No doubt a tingle went up your leg while watching that interview.

I wouldn't even use warning. I would use a concern. For him, he feels a need to look at concerns. For me, I don't think we should because that gamne gets too silly. But it should also not be presented as him thrying to threaten the US. He clearly wasn't.

No doubt a tingle went up your leg while watching that interview.

Not really, I dont like the guy.. But the idiotic silly season of mis-information is ripe in the US atm, especially on Fox News and it so called journalists.

There was no threat.

of course not. no threat. just you know, pointing out that gosh gee wiz there sure are alot of islamist extremists out there, and you know them, and their exciteability and their natural anger at the US for being complicit in the 9/11 attacks which it then blamed on them; and i can't be held responsible for their behavior if i don't get my way, you know, sure would be a shame if you didn't give me exactly what i want and as a result my friends in Hamas had their friends in Hezbollah target American civilians overseas, or anything....

any idiot might think that, yes; which is why they would be an idiot.

anyone who is even remotely informed with regards to Islamist Fundamentalists would realize that if the Mosque is built.... they will consider that a victory and they will use that to aid their recruiting; and if the Mosque is moved.... they will use that to aid their recruiting. keeping the Mosque at Ground Zero isn't a victory to moderates; unless groups led by 9/11 truthers are defined by you as "moderate".

anyone who is even remotely informed with regards to Islamist Fundamentalists would realize that if the Mosque is built.... they will consider that a victory and they will use that to aid their recruiting; and if the Mosque is moved.... they will use that to aid their recruiting. keeping the Mosque at Ground Zero isn't a victory to moderates; unless groups led by 9/11 truthers are defined by you as "moderate".

If by idiot you mean intelligent. And if by informed you mean misinformed, you might have a point. Reading too much garbage makes jack stupid.

But to the point, we should never care what the radicals think. Only an idiot plays that game. And both sides are just plain ignorant for playing it.

of course not. no threat. just you know, pointing out that gosh gee wiz there sure are alot of islamist extremists out there, and you know them, and their exciteability and their natural anger at the US for being complicit in the 9/11 attacks which it then blamed on them; and i can't be held responsible for their behavior if i don't get my way, you know, sure would be a shame if you didn't give me exactly what i want and as a result my friends in Hamas had their friends in Hezbollah target American civilians overseas, or anything....

No CP, there was no threat. None at all. Period. No reasonable person, not blinded by stupid hatred and silliness would have honestly interpreted that as a threat. Just like most of the misinformation and silly fake questions put out on this, painting this as a threat is just dishonest.

LOL Islamist fundamentalists have claimed for years that the US and the west are at war with Islam, it is their whole reason to exist basically. By denying this community centre with prayer room, then you are proving them right, and that would aid their recruiting, not the other way around.. talk about twisted Fox News unlogic.

Like it or not the US and the west have always claimed that we are better than the radicals because we have laws and rules and are not run by religious dogma set up in the 14th century. And since this community centre in question is fully legal according to the law, and that the US claims to be a multi-religious tolerant society, then there is nothing to do to block the community centre.

What you dont seem to comprehend, it is people like you, those against this community centre that are stirring up all sorts of trouble that can easily be used by the extremists as recruiting tools... "hey look, American's hate Muslims" or "America is at war with Islam.. just look at them trying to ban mosques!"

Nice Fox Spin there.....!!!!

There are more options here than just "we're staying" and "we're leaving".

Back
Top Bottom