• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fed Up Teachers Refuse to Teach Summer School in Texas.....

I think some teachers are overpaid and some underpaid. The problem is that teachers' salaries are based on how many years they've taught instead of how well they do their jobs.
I would disagree. I would argue the problem is...

I know teachers who have been teaching 25 years that make $70,000+ in a low income district and they don't do jack squat.
...is this.

The problem is on teachers who have no pride in what they do, no integrity.

then tell us the formula which should be in use to make salaries equitable
There's nothing really wrong with the way teachers are compensated now. The problem lies in getting teachers to appreciate what they do and for school districts to take steps to remove teachers who are not trying. A lot of people think having tenure means a teacher cannot be fired, but (at least in my state) that is just a myth. A tenured teacher can be fired, and while I don't advocate firing teachers for some meaningless test scores (and test scores, for so many reasons, are meaningless), I don't have any patience for teachers who don't respect the profession of teaching.

I think some teachers are overpaid and some underpaid. The problem is that teachers' salaries are based on how many years they've taught instead of how well they do their jobs. I know teachers who have been teaching 25 years that make $70,000+ in a low income district and they don't do jack squat. And the flip side - I know teachers who have been teaching under 5 years making maybe $30,000 and they are incredibly hard workers and really good at their jobs. Tell me on what planet that makes sense.

Planet Seniority in the Galaxy of Unfair. In the Universe of Life.

The school district in Houston, TX offers an online option for 3-12 right now that is available to students who reside in most Texas school districts. There are also several other DoE-recognized, college-accepted home schooling programs available online, as well.

Thanks for I did not know that K-12 is also carried out online. I applied to a general one K-12.com and it then has several schools all around USA, some probably in Texas also.

Otherwise the list is flooded. Do you have specific links?

I filled out the lists in that K-12.com entirely but it asked me of a "Teacher's License" along the way. You guys need licenses over there to teach? Are not degree's in Master's or Doctorate with specialization in teaching enough?

DISD offers health insurance for employees and their beneficiaries...

Well, that is a good thing. Mainly, my point in my prior post was that this has nothing to do with union contracts. That seems to be an easy scapegoat these days for trying to explain why teachers are walking away rather than facing the real issue of why many are feeling demoralized. In this particular case, it sounds like its coming from top administration.

Well I hope all you Texas teachers that are off for the Summer Still keep your eyes out for the lil ones.....especially lil girls. Texas has some evil puke running around. Which they don't know what he looks like. But they do have a description for a vehicle.

Not that I am saying none do or that doesn't apply for those elsewhere. Just that this incident happened this past Monday. So All Texans should be on alert.

Saginaw Horror: Texas Toddler Found Naked and Bound Under Tarp by Neighborhood Teenagers (PHOTOS/VIDEO) : News : Headlines & Global News

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't heard about this. Terrible. Article you link then links to Daily Mail, which says that police are looking for a red truck with a green splotch.

Thanks for I did not know that K-12 is also carried out online. I applied to a general one K-12.com and it then has several schools all around USA, some probably in Texas also.

I filled out the lists in that K-12.com entirely but it asked me of a "Teacher's License" along the way. You guys need licenses over there to teach? Are not degree's in Master's or Doctorate with specialization in teaching enough?

Each state has its own certification requirements. I've had teacher certification in three states and principal certification in two states. In SC I took the NTE (National Teachers Exam) for certification. In Florida I took the state exams for teacher certification (content specific) and principal certification. In Texas I had to take a teacher content area certification exam, pedagogy exam, and principal exam. I then took another exam for additional teacher certification in a different area. (All exams must be successfully completed.) :)

Certification may only be attained after graduating from an accredited college or university teacher education program, which includes student teaching. (Now you can attain certification without having to student teach.) Then you must graduate from an accredited content specific graduate program to be eligible for principal certification, guidance counselor certification, etc.

The process to to sit for certification exams usually takes at least four years of formal education in an undergraduate program for teacher certification, and an additional two years (some programs may require less time) in a graduate program for principal, guidance counselor, or other specialty certification beyond teacher.

Last edited:
I don't know how many states offer "emergency certification," but many do, and this is an alternative route if one has the right degrees and experience.

I don't know how many states offer "emergency certification," but many do, and this is an alternative route if one has the right degrees and experience.

here, they will provide an interim authority and 12 months for the recipient to satisfy the certification criteria

I think alternative certification is great.

Here's the one I was referring to. Free 3-12 Texas Online Public School | Texas Connections Academy

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062015882 said:
Each state has its own certification requirements. I've had teacher certification in three states and principal certification in two states. In SC I took the NTE (National Teachers Exam) for certification. In Florida I took the state exams for teacher certification (content specific) and principal certification. In Texas I had to take a teacher content area certification exam, pedagogy exam, and principal exam. I then took another exam for additional teacher certification in a different area. (All exams must be successfully completed.) :)

Certification may only be attained after graduating from an accredited college or university teacher education program, which includes student teaching. (Now you can attain certification without having to student teach.) Then you must graduate from an accredited content specific graduate program to be eligible for principal certification, guidance counselor certification, etc.

The process to to sit for certification exams usually takes at least four years of formal education in an undergraduate program for teacher certification, and an additional two years (some programs may require less time) in a graduate program for principal, guidance counselor, or other specialty certification beyond teacher.

There I was having my hopes high :)

First I need to find an opening, see in which state the school is offering the opening, then see if I take the alternative teacher's license (for the time being), and then re-apply.

Plus I am not an American. Will that be an issue for online?

The response I got back as hastily that they were looking at other applicants lasted less than a full day. No teaching license to teaching position.

There are no licenses required to teach here in Dardania. If one has a master's degree or a PhD it is assumed that they are experts already and would qualify to both teach and do research. No need to further check how much one knows for that then implies distrust to the teaching universities themselves.

First I need to find an opening, see in which state the school is offering the opening, then see if I take the alternative teacher's license (for the time being), and then re-apply.

Plus I am not an American. Will that be an issue for online?

Not necessarily. I guess this will depend on the state's and the school district's criteria. I found this: Teacher certification for foreign-educated teachers

The link discusses ESL requirements. Another important factor will be your experience teaching online and familiarity with whatever delivery system is being used. If this experience is extensive, I'd think you'd be an attractive candidate.

Not necessarily. I guess this will depend on the state's and the school district's criteria. I found this: Teacher certification for foreign-educated teachers

The link discusses ESL requirements. Another important factor will be your experience teaching online and familiarity with whatever delivery system is being used. If this experience is extensive, I'd think you'd be an attractive candidate.

The gap between a degree and teaching has a faculty of its own. I probably should start from the beginning such as applying for working visa at the US Embassy here first.

Wonder if it is a special kind of a working visa since this is carried out online. I am not technically there.

I think I was confused about what you meant about "online." Are you referring to applying online to work here in the United States, or is your intention to teach online for an American school district or college/university?

I just went to Google and typed in "Can I apply for a U.S. work vis online" and got this: Temporary Worker Visas

There are other links as well.

Back
Top Bottom