• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fear is a good thing

neil

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Some people believe that fear is a bad thing. It isn't a bad thing; it's there to protect us.

It's like feeling pain when we touch something extremely hot with our hands; the pain of touching something hot causes us to immediately pull our hands away so it doesn't get burned, damaged, or destroyed.

Some of these things we have may seem bad or undesirable, but they're there to protect & preserve us.

It can be wise to be fearful of something or what someone wants to do, especially when what they want to do is known to have repeatedly had undesirable outcomes.

Some people believe that fear is a bad thing. It isn't a bad thing; it's there to protect us.

It's like feeling pain when we touch something extremely hot with our hands; the pain of touching something hot causes us to immediately pull our hands away so it doesn't get burned, damaged, or destroyed.

Some of these things we have may seem bad or undesirable, but they're there to protect & preserve us.

It can be wise to be fearful of something or what someone wants to do, especially when what they want to do is known to have repeatedly had undesirable outcomes.
How you handle fear determines whether it is good/bad....

fear being good or bad is not black and white, its circumstantial

fear can be very bad it also can be good . . .

Like fear of heights? People have been killed from lack of fear of heights.
oh so you dont know what medical phobia is, got it lol

there are medical phobias that are basically defined as "unhealthy and irrational fear" LMAO

fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️

oh so you dont know what medical phobia is, got it lol

there are medical phobias that are basically defined as "unhealthy and irrational fear" LMAO

fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️
Ok, then let's stick to the topic - fears, not medical phobias; deal?

Ok, then let's stick to the topic - fears, not medical phobias; deal?
those are fears
so again, the fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️

those are fears
so again, the fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️
You're going out of context, though; I posted this thread in the philosophy, not a health & wellness, section of the forum.

You're going out of context, though; I posted this thread in the philosophy, not a health & wellness, section of the forum.
no, im factually not, I'm just stating facts you don't like, that's none of my concern
the fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️

no, im factually not, I'm just stating facts you don't like, that's none of my concern
the fact remains fear is nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️
Yes, you're stating out of context facts & this doesn't help your case; I asked for examples, but all you have been able to resort to so far is medical phobias, which as I stated and will state again, is out of context. I created this thread and am resolving a potential ambiguity; why don't you just say "oh, ok, in that case here's an example..." instead of devolving to intellectual headbutting?

Please either just provide an example of what I'm asking for - or don't.

Yes, you're stating out of context facts & this doesn't help your case; I asked for examples, but all you have been able to resort to so far is medical phobias, which as I stated and will state again, is out of context. I created this thread and am resolving a potential ambiguity; why don't you just say "oh, ok, in that case here's an example..." instead of devolving to intellectual headbutting?

Please either just provide an example of what I'm asking for - or don't.
translation: you still don't like the facts I provided. again not my concern that's your issue.
no matter how much you stomp your feet and falsely claim it is, its not out of context based on your op

if you meant to say something else than your false claims in the OP then you should have sad so

translation:
When someone says "translation" it serves no other purpose than an attempt to project.

you still don't like the facts I provided.
Yes, because they're out of context. Kermit the Frog is green - this is a fact, but I wouldn't like this fact being posted here either, because it's irrelevant. Not liking facts is allowed when they're not relevant or out of context.

again not my concern that's your issue.
Then why are you posting on this thread?

no matter how much you stomp your feet and falsely claim it is, its not out of context based on your op
Wrong.

if you meant to say something else than your false claims in the OP then you should have sad so
You can't provide an in-context example, can you?

This is not an argument; it's nothing more than an assertion, so far. Defend your assertion.

When someone says "translation" it serves no other purpose than an attempt to project.

Yes, because they're out of context. Kermit the Frog is green - this is a fact, but I wouldn't like this fact being posted here either, because it's irrelevant. Not liking facts is allowed when they're not relevant or out of context.

Then why are you posting on this thread?

Wrong.

You can't provide an in-context example, can you?

This is not an argument; it's nothing more than an assertion, so far. Defend your assertion.
hey look another post that changes zero facts, nothing i said is out of context, again your OP failing and you not liking it is your halarious issue not mine LMAO
you are right though, its not an "argument" its just a fact and its already been defended

stomp your feet harder this time its funny as hell!

The fact remains fear is a nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️
😂 🍿

hey look another post that changes zero facts, nothing i said is out of context, again your OP failing and you not liking it is your halarious issue not mine LMAO
you are right though, its not an "argument" its just a fact and its already been defended

stomp your feet harder this time its funny as hell!

The fact remains fear is a nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, that fact will not change 🤷‍♂️
😂 🍿
I gave you an out and you chose to forgo the opportunity, so now you've put yourself on the hook for providing an example. That's on you, not me.

Fear of heights is a phobia; is fear of heights irrational? Like I stated in an earlier post, people have been killed from a lack of fear of heights.

When I was about five we visited the Empire State Building for the first time, and this was back in the days when the fencing at the top was still pretty minimal.
My idiot older brother picked me up and dangled me for about a minute till the parents caught on and stopped it.
What followed was well more than a decade of a VERY irrational fear of heights.
I even fell apart trying to climb a stupid stepladder.

Well, I finally wound up as a Director of Photography and eventually I got offered a shoot where I had to "go there".
I resolved to screw in as much guts and courage as I could, and I got the job done.
I was hanging from a monkey harness in a helicopter, this was the days BEFORE the invention of the Wescam and before drones.
And I had to hang from the suspended cable and monkey harness to GET the KIND of shots needed, just sitting inside and pointing the
camera wasn't going to give me what I needed.

So I spent an hour and a half circling around, suspended ten or fifteen feet down, camera in hand, in that harness while AirExec's pilot provided the platform,
at about 75 miles per hour give or take a few.
It was the famous "Hands Across America" music video.
I shot the farmers harvesting those "purple waves of grain" which were really sort of golden brown.

I still dislike getting up there without something to harness to or hang onto, but now it's just a healthy respect for that
sudden stop when you hit the ground.
Prior to that I had recurring nightmares of falling from tall buildings thanks to the family bully, my older brother.
I also have him to thank for a ruptured diaphragm as well, age seven, and a hernia at age eight.

My fear WAS very irrational, and debilitating.
Now I'm too old and beat up to do much in the way of climbing but when I used to own a little film studio in North Hollywood
it was common to find me up a forty foot ladder screwing around with the lights.
I could not do that until I made my peace with my childhood phobia.

I gave you an out and you chose to forgo the opportunity, so now you've put yourself on the hook for providing an example. That's on you, not me.
facts dont need an out example of phobia was already given LMAO
no matter how much you dance and deflect and try to reframe it won't work it will continue to fail and continue my entertainment

The fact remains fear is a nether god or bad its circumstance and could be either, and there fore your Thread title is also not a statement of fact, that will not change
🤷‍♂️😂

When I was about five we visited the Empire State Building for the first time, and this was back in the days when the fencing at the top was still pretty minimal.
My idiot older brother picked me up and dangled me for about a minute till the parents caught on and stopped it.
What followed was well more than a decade of a VERY irrational fear of heights.
I even fell apart trying to climb a stupid stepladder.

Well, I finally wound up as a Director of Photography and eventually I got offered a shoot where I had to "go there".
I resolved to screw in as much guts and courage as I could, and I got the job done.
I was hanging from a monkey harness in a helicopter, this was the days BEFORE the invention of the Wescam and before drones.
And I had to hang from the suspended cable and monkey harness to GET the KIND of shots needed, just sitting inside and pointing the
camera wasn't going to give me what I needed.

So I spent an hour and a half circling around, suspended ten or fifteen feet down, camera in hand, in that harness while AirExec's pilot provided the platform,
at about 75 miles per hour give or take a few.
It was the famous "Hands Across America" music video.
I shot the farmers harvesting those "purple waves of grain" which were really sort of golden brown.

I still dislike getting up there without something to harness to or hang onto, but now it's just a healthy respect for that
sudden stop when you hit the ground.
Prior to that I had recurring nightmares of falling from tall buildings thanks to the family bully, my older brother.
I also have him to thank for a ruptured diaphragm as well, age seven, and a hernia at age eight.

My fear WAS very irrational, and debilitating.
Now I'm too old and beat up to do much in the way of climbing but when I used to own a little film studio in North Hollywood
it was common to find me up a forty foot ladder screwing around with the lights.
I could not do that until I made my peace with my childhood phobia.
You describe an experience that was traumatizing, and it certainly sounds like it was debilitating, but I would still say it wasn't irrational. Consider that without being very safe and careful such as by using a harness it's not inconceivable that you would've been far more vulnerable to accidentally falling, which could've led to injury or death; it's still not irrational to not want to accidentally fall.

You describe an experience that was traumatizing, and it certainly sounds like it was debilitating, but I would still say it wasn't irrational. Consider that without being very safe and careful such as by using a harness it's not inconceivable that you would've been far more vulnerable to accidentally falling, which could've led to injury or death; it's still not irrational to not want to accidentally fall.

Stepladders...okay?
Fear of climbing a six foot step ladder is well nigh irrational.
You don't get it and my gut tells me you never will, and you're just here to pick stupid arguments that devolve into
childish crap I don't waste my time on.
So you win the argument, okay?

Back
Top Bottom