• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

FBI wants palm prints, eye scans, tattoo mapping

I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing. My brain isn't fully engaged.

You clearly said this already being done in jails for criminals. This program is meant for innocent citizens who haven't done anything that warrants being tracked like rats in a cage as opposed to incarcerated criminals.

You clearly said this already being done in jails for criminals. This program is meant for innocent citizens who haven't done anything that warrants being tracked like rats in a cage as opposed to incarcerated criminals.

a camera in a public space does not equate with being a rat in a cage.

This program is meant for innocent citizens who haven't done anything that warrants being tracked like rats in a cage as opposed to incarcerated criminals.

WHICH citizens? I read it, and I got the impression that the AVERAGE citizen, the INNOCENT citizen, etc. will not be subjected to this, with the only exception being applying for sensitive jobs that require security clearance or background checks to work with children...

Which article did you read? I saw nothing of that nature in the article.

Hooked into a FBI computer does seem to equate being a rat in a cage.

I'm not hooked into a computer - I have no gps type device plugged into me allowing someone to be constantly plugged into my whereabouts.

a camera in a public space does not equate with being a rat in a cage.

Ummm never said it did. I was clearly referring to having my eyes scanned, palm printed and having my tattoos in a data base.

Which article did you read? I saw nothing of that nature in the article.

At the front of the article.

The FBI is gearing up to create a massive computer database of people's physical characteristics, all part of an effort the bureau says to better identify criminals and terrorists.

I read the article and it only applies to criminals and those applying for sensitive jobs. I'm not sure where it talked about forced mass enrollment.

If you really think it'll stop at criminals and those applying for sensitive jobs, then I think you're delusioned. They're already talking about using the technology to help prevent idenity theft. How could they do that unless everyone was in the system? Answer: They couldn't.

If you really think it'll stop at criminals and those applying for sensitive jobs, then I think you're delusioned. They're already talking about using the technology to help prevent idenity theft. How could they do that unless everyone was in the system? Answer: They couldn't.

So you are assuming that any enrollment will be forced. Do they force you to give your fingerprints now? I mean, we have been doing this for decades? Where did it lead?

For the record, I think anyone who wouldn't want to secure their identity to themselves is foolish. In this age of the criminal stealing your identity and running up credit cards, committing check fraud, and other thefts I would damn sure consider locking my ID to me personally.

Regardless, you still haven't articulated any threat to a specific freedom. Therefore this is an exercise in personal opinion. Which is fine. We just don't agree on this.

So you are assuming that any enrollment will be forced. Do they force you to give your fingerprints now? I mean, we have been doing this for decades? Where did it lead?
I was printed at birth. Weren't you? Weren't you also assigned your very own number in the system? I was also printed getting a driver's license. And then repeatedly for various jobs, of course.

For the record, I think anyone who wouldn't want to secure their identity to themselves is foolish. In this age of the criminal stealing your identity and running up credit cards, committing check fraud, and other thefts I would damn sure consider locking my ID to me personally.

Regardless, you still haven't articulated any threat to a specific freedom. Therefore this is an exercise in personal opinion. Which is fine. We just don't agree on this.
Dude, you're talking to someone who refused to even use OnStar because of the implications of it. The idea that the government could track me down at any second is quite bothersome to me. Sure, such ID technology could be useful, I don't deny that. Much like gun registration could be useful, but it can also be harmful (and I'm against it too, for the record). It's too much power given to the government. Too easy for them to do bad things with that kind of technology. We should never fear our government and giving them that kind of ability would make them quite fearsome.

As for the loss of freedom, that would come if and when such things are mandated. Ditto for the loss of privacy.

I was printed at birth. Weren't you? Weren't you also assigned your very own number in the system? I was also printed getting a driver's license. And then repeatedly for various jobs, of course.
I had my feet printed. How is a social security number a threat to freedom? It's a means for identification for normal conduct of government and some private business. So? How does it hurt? I was not fingerprinted for my license. Nobody forced you to get your license, you chose to so you would have to rely on public transportation or walking. And if you are printed for a job then that is voluntary. You don't have to work there, you choose to. How is any of this a threat to your freedoms?

Dude, you're talking to someone who refused to even use OnStar because of the implications of it. The idea that the government could track me down at any second is quite bothersome to me. Sure, such ID technology could be useful, I don't deny that. Much like gun registration could be useful, but it can also be harmful (and I'm against it too, for the record). It's too much power given to the government. Too easy for them to do bad things with that kind of technology. We should never fear our government and giving them that kind of ability would make them quite fearsome.
I agree with you on gun registration. We don't do that in my state anyway. And we recently stopped mandating a criminal background and issuing gun permits. Now you just go to the store and they check you against the ATF's banned list. I suppose we just have polar opposite opinions on this technology.

As for the loss of freedom, that would come if and when such things are mandated. Ditto for the loss of privacy.
So how do you justify your fear of the governments use of the technology if you don't have specific threats you can refer to?

How will this database help my children have good jobs?

Please pardon my late entry here ...

Without submitting to "the database" and/or whatever else, they will not be able to have jobs at all.

Assuming most of us believe we each have "inalienable rights" of whatever origin -- life, liberty and the ownership of property (pursuit of happiness) -- we are soon to discover not being allowed to exercise them without first receiving permission. Bottom line: Without being in the database, we will not be allowed to sell our labor in order to have income for food and shelter. Just like in GWB's 9/20/2001 speech in relation to global "progress, pluralism, tolerance and freedom", a study in itself, we will now either conform or die.

I think ideas like this head people down a very bad road.I dont see the need for giving up so much freedom.We really have to grow up as people and except bad things for greater benefits.

I don't think you should be too concerned about this proposal. The government will have orders of magnitude more info on everyone than they are talking about here as soon as government run healthcare is implemented. ;)

Back
Top Bottom