• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FBI asked Justice Department to reject Trump claim: report

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

March 5, 2017

FBI Director James Comey reportedly asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election. Senior American officials told The New York Times on Sunday that Comey has said the president's wiretapping allegations are not true and asked the Justice Department on Saturday to publicly correct the record. Comey wants the Justice Department to deflate Trump’s claim because there is no evidence to support it, the Times reported, and it insinuates that Comey's FBI broke the law, the officials told the paper.

Clapper and now Comey want no part of Trumps wiretapping delusions.

Last edited:
re·port·ed·ly
rəˈpôrdədlē/
adverb
according to what some say (used to express the speaker's belief that the information given is not necessarily true).

March 5, 2017

FBI Director James Comey reportedly asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election. Senior American officials told The New York Times on Sunday that Comey has said the president's wiretapping allegations are not true and asked the Justice Department on Saturday to publicly correct the record. FBI Director James Comey reportedly asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election.Senior American officials told The New York Times on Sunday that Comey has said the president's wiretapping allegations are not true and asked the Justice Department on Saturday to publicly correct the record. Comey wants the Justice Department to deflate Trump’s claim because there is no evidence to support it, the Times reported, and it insinuates that Comey's FBI broke the law, the officials told the paper.

re·port·ed·ly
rəˈpôrdədlē/
adverb
according to what some say (used to express the speaker's belief that the information given is not necessarily true).

March 5, 2017

FBI Director James Comey reportedly asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election. Senior American officials told The New York Times on Sunday that Comey has said the president's wiretapping allegations are not true and asked the Justice Department on Saturday to publicly correct the record. FBI Director James Comey reportedly asked the Justice Department this weekend to publicly reject President Trump's claims that former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower before the election.Senior American officials told The New York Times on Sunday that Comey has said the president's wiretapping allegations are not true and asked the Justice Department on Saturday to publicly correct the record. Comey wants the Justice Department to deflate Trump’s claim because there is no evidence to support it, the Times reported, and it insinuates that Comey's FBI broke the law, the officials told the paper.

Meanwhile, Trump's claim was based on a Breitbart article copying a Mark Levin radio infotainment broadcast. "Reportedly" squared, if words multiply.

Do you have an exponentially greater amount of outraged snark over that, or is it reserved only for things that might reflect negatively on trump?

Meanwhile, Trump's claim was based on a Breitbart article copying a Mark Levin radio infotainment broadcast. "Reportedly" squared, if words multiply.

Do you have an exponentially greater amount of outraged snark over that, or is it reserved only for things that might reflect negatively on trump?

You don't know that.

Meanwhile, Trump's claim was based on a Breitbart article copying a Mark Levin radio infotainment broadcast.

Reportedly squared.

well you read my posting it focuses on "reportedly", which is not truth but hearsay.

so to make claims of something as being, when it based on hearsay is not a good thing to promote.

This is an interesting development. I do think it is important to understand that Trump's tweets were based off of some sketchy news sources he read online. I don't see this story really going anywhere important.

Clapper and now Comey want no part of Trumps wiretapping delusions.

Ridiculous. The Justice Dept cannot say Trump!s phones weren't wiretapped. That's just stupid.

Why can't they say that?

Why is it just stupid?

Trump never presented any evidence for his accusation. He didn't even think it through: If a FISA court granted an application to wiretap, then there was evidence of potential wrongdoing. But, Obama could not order it out of hand.

Not only does his accusation lack factual basis and condemn him if true, it doesn't make sense. It would mean that Comey would have to be in on this ant-Trump plot. Yet it was Comey who went to the press with BS allegations that turned out to be nothing that damaged Clinton, just ten days before the eletction.

I continue to wonder what he'll have to do or say for the automatic defense to sit on the sidelines for once.

Comey? You mean that guy that failed to do his job with Clinton? Yeah, that's the guy. I'll be sure to take his opinion seriously as soon as he decides to do his job.

You don't understand Trumpeteers. If He says it, it is true.
I wonder if Trump has any idea of how badly his constant lies tarnish America in the eyes of the world?

I don't think so. I believe he is only cognisant of what benefits numero uno.

It's sadly ironic that the peddler of Make America Great Again constantly inflicts the greatest damage on that America.

You don't know that.

I hope that was not supposed to be a clever takedown. Trump didn't identify any sources when he made his claims. The only thing that seemed to have anything to do with his tweetstorm was, as I said, "a Breitbart article copying a Mark Levin radio infotainment broadcast" (and don't play the "gimme a link" game. If you don't know what I'm referring to, then you're defending Trump without having learned about the situation).

Are his supporters going to really attack people for trying to make deductions in such an atmosphere?

Meanwhile, other supporters on DP have started threads saying that someone went on Fox News and claimed that an anonymous Democrat source told them that based on other unidentified things that source has heard from anonymous sources, "it's all true" - whatever the full "it" is.

He really could shoot a man dead on 5th Ave and get away with it at this point. Nothing matters.

I wonder if Trump has any idea of how badly his constant lies tarnish America in the eyes of the world?

Do you know why you build up your military bigger and more powerful than everyone else? So you don't have to care what anyone else thinks.

Why can't they say that?

Why is it just stupid?

The DOJ might be able to say, after they check with all legal channels, that no warrant was issued by x, y, z depts. They could not say he wasn't wiretapped. Bad guys don't get warrants . . . Within those organizations or without. THATs why.

I hope that was not supposed to be a clever takedown. Trump didn't identify any sources when he made his claims. The only thing that seemed to have anything to do with his tweetstorm was, as I said, "a Breitbart article copying a Mark Levin radio infotainment broadcast" (and don't play the "gimme a link" game. If you don't know what I'm referring to, then you're defending Trump without having learned about the situation).

Are his supporters going to really attack people for trying to make deductions in such an atmosphere?

Meanwhile, other supporters on DP have started threads saying that someone went on Fox News and claimed that an anonymous Democrat source told them that based on other unidentified things that source has heard from anonymous sources, "it's all true" - whatever the full "it" is.

He really could shoot a man dead on 5th Ave and get away with it at this point. Nothing matters.

It's called critical thinking. You should embrace it. Your lack of it often shows.

There doesn't appear to be any current evidence that the Obama administration was breaking the law. But it does seem that a FISA warrant was petitioned and granted. Although the subject matter of that warrant does not appear to be what Trump is claiming. Interesting link attached.

Regardless. The story is getting a little weird.

"The taskforce included six agencies or departments of government. Dealing with the domestic, US, side of the inquiry, were the FBI, the Department of the Treasury, and the Department of Justice. For the foreign and intelligence aspects of the investigation, there were another three agencies: the CIA, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the National Security Agency, responsible for electronic spying.

Lawyers from the National Security Division in the Department of Justice then drew up an application. They took it to the secret US court that deals with intelligence, the Fisa court, named after the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. They wanted permission to intercept the electronic records from two Russian banks.

Their first (FISA warrant) application, in June, was rejected outright by the judge. They returned with a more narrowly drawn order in July and were rejected again. Finally, before a new judge, the order was granted, on 15 October, three weeks before election day."

Trump 'compromising' claims: How and why did we get here? - BBC News

Ridiculous. The Justice Dept cannot say Trump!s phones weren't wiretapped. That's just stupid.

Does the president have the power to declassify warrants issued by FISA courts, or an application for warrant?

This Trump surrogate-reporter exchange is precious:

RADDATZ: Was the principal source the Breitbart story, which links to the New York Times? But the New York Times doesn't say anything definitive. Donald Trump does. There is nothing equivocating about what he says. “I just found out that Obama had my wires tapped.” That's not “look into something.” He says it happened.

HUCKABEE SANDERS: Look, I think the bigger thing is you guys are always telling us to take the media seriously. Well, we are today. We're taking the reports that places like the New York Times, Fox News, BBC, multiple outlets have reported this. All we're saying is, let's take a closer look. Let's look into this. If this happened, if this is accurate, this is the biggest overreach and the biggest scandal.

RADDATZ: The president of the United States is accusing the former president of wiretapping him.

HUCKABEE SANDERS: I think that this is, again, something that if this happened, Martha …

RADDATZ: “If,” “if,” “if,” “if.”

HUCKABEE SANDERS: I agree.

RADDATZ: Why is the president saying it did happen?

HUCKABEE SANDERS: Look, I think he's going off of information that he's seen that has led him to believe that this is a very real potential. And if it is, this is the greatest overreach and the greatest abuse of power that, I think, we have ever seen and a huge attack on democracy itself. And the American people have a right to know if this took place.

RADDATZ: Okay. Let me just say one more time. The president said, “I bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October.” So the president believes it is true?

HUCKABEE SANDERS: I would say that his tweet speaks for itself there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-arent-defending-it/?utm_term=.1c0fbcb47110

Wow...

Trump says it is true, so it must be investigated. Because if it is true, it "is a very real potential", and horrible. What happened to the person making the accusation having evidence? Y'know.....like if Comey, who damaged Clinton with last-minute BS that went nowhere, was actually working for the Obama camp to hurt Trump, then maybe some evidence of that should come from Trump before he makes accusations?

It's a principle legal systems have been familiar with for a long time, but I suppose it's still alien to some.

Hell, again, the guy who damaged Clinton - Comey- asks the FBI to reject the claim:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/...ations-that-obama-tapped-his-phones.html?_r=0

But that's probably all part of their super-clever world domination plot, right Pinky?

Last edited:
You don't understand Trumpeteers. If He says it, it is true.

Well, it is true that Trump Tower was wiretapped. It's also true that it was done via a FISA warrant. Are you telling me that a presidential candidate was secretly surveilled under FISA and Obama wasn't informed? Was anyone actually in charge for the past eight years?

Trump is crazier than a **** house rat. The GOP Congress, Bannon, Miller and Priebus are manipulating the pure d hell out of a man who is playing left home at away games. Trump is nucking futs.

Heads of state in Western nations and our other allies know full well they are dealing with a "leader" who isn't there all the time. America is likely viewed much the same as North Korea or the Philippines.

The US is in rapid decline. It's not all Trumps fault but his inept leadership is sucking hope out of the future for much of the known world. As Americans, without the help of the GOP, all we can do is watch.

Why can't they say that?

Why is it just stupid?

Trump never presented any evidence for his accusation. He didn't even think it through: If a FISA court granted an application to wiretap, then there was evidence of potential wrongdoing. But, Obama could not order it out of hand.

Not only does his accusation lack factual basis and condemn him if true, it doesn't make sense. It would mean that Comey would have to be in on this ant-Trump plot. Yet it was Comey who went to the press with BS allegations that turned out to be nothing that damaged Clinton, just ten days before the eletction.

I continue to wonder what he'll have to do or say for the automatic defense to sit on the sidelines for once.

Because President Trump's phones were tapped. It would be a lie.

Back
Top Bottom