• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Eye for an eye?

Do you support 'eye for an eye'?

• Yes, in most all cases

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Only in my personal life

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Only in my political views

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • It depends (please post explanation)

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Billo_Really said:
It's understandable. If that happened to someone close to me, I would probably feel the same way. The reason I'm against the death penalty is because it doesn't do anything to solve the problem of murder. There has never been a violent baby born in the history of mankind. Something happens between birth and the crime that has changed that person to choose violence. I don't have any answers on this one. But I do know that it is not used fairly in our judicial system. They don't give this punishment to the wealthy. They murder too. But not one rich guy has ever been executed. O.J. is a perfect example.

I wouldn't consider Scott Peterson exactly "poor" either. It is lopsided, but often because money buys justice for some, and THAT portion of our legal system MUST be changed. OJ had a team of lawyers, all working different angles, etc... not to mention, lawyers have TOO much power in selecting juries. They stack em in their favor...

Manson would have been executed, but California had abolished the death penalty, commuting his sentence to life. Maybe socio-economic status plays into the mix, because not many rich people are driven to murdering someone. so who knows... but if that is even the case, why abolish the death penalty because a few rich moron's bought their way to freedom? Is that for the better of society?

Originally Posted by debate_junkie:
I wouldn't consider Scott Peterson exactly "poor" either. It is lopsided, but often because money buys justice for some, and THAT portion of our legal system MUST be changed. OJ had a team of lawyers, all working different angles, etc... not to mention, lawyers have TOO much power in selecting juries. They stack em in their favor...
Peterson wasn't rich. You're right on with the OJ comment. It is my personal belief that the judicial system in this country has absolutely nothing to do with justice, but everything to do with revenue.

Manson would have been executed, but California had abolished the death penalty, commuting his sentence to life. Maybe socio-economic status plays into the mix, because not many rich people are driven to murdering someone. so who knows... but if that is even the case, why abolish the death penalty because a few rich moron's bought their way to freedom? Is that for the better of society?
My thing is solving problems. I don't think the death penalty addresses the problem of why people murder. I want to stop murders. The death penalty doesn't prevent them. Murder is not a rational act.

Billo_Really said:
Peterson wasn't rich. You're right on with the OJ comment. It is my personal belief that the judicial system in this country has absolutely nothing to do with justice, but everything to do with revenue.

My thing is solving problems. I don't think the death penalty addresses the problem of why people murder. I want to stop murders. The death penalty doesn't prevent them. Murder is not a rational act.

I want to stop fatal traffic accidents, but the only way to do that is to remove all motor vehicles from the roads. Alot of what causes murder, is a disregard for authority, for life, for anything but ME... it's all about the "I" and if whoever doesn't give them what they want, they take it. Discussion isn't an option. Don't like what someone says.. kill em. Don't like what someone does, kill em. Want a pair of nike's and someone has em? don't work to get em, just kill em and steal his.

Selfishness can't be cured... neither can idiots who don't know how to raise kids be stopped from procreating. How are you going to cure it?

want to stop fatal traffic accidents, but the only way to do that is to remove all motor vehicles from the roads. Alot of what causes murder, is a disregard for authority, for life, for anything but ME... it's all about the "I" and if whoever doesn't give them what they want, they take it. Discussion isn't an option. Don't like what someone says.. kill em. Don't like what someone does, kill em. Want a pair of nike's and someone has em? don't work to get em, just kill em and steal his.

Selfishness can't be cured... neither can idiots who don't know how to raise kids be stopped from procreating. How are you going to cure it?
I wish I new the answer. But I don't. I do think the cure might be found in more concious parenting. Most parents do what was done to them. Pass on the chain. I disagreed with the way I was raised. I do to this very day.

Maybe if we stopped trying to treat children as little possessions instead of little people that would not give them such an attitude. I hated when my father would tell me to do this "...because I said so!" or "do as I say and not as I do!" These would come after I asked "why" one too many times. Children have a right to be angry. They have a right to have their own opinions. They have a right to speak their mind. But their just told to "be seen and not heard".

Every sadistic killer you can name all had bad childhoods. Make childhoods better and you will have less killers.

Billo_Really said:
I wish I new the answer. But I don't. I do think the cure might be found in more concious parenting. Most parents do what was done to them. Pass on the chain. I disagreed with the way I was raised. I do to this very day.

Maybe if we stopped trying to treat children as little possessions instead of little people that would not give them such an attitude. I hated when my father would tell me to do this "...because I said so!" or "do as I say and not as I do!" These would come after I asked "why" one too many times. Children have a right to be angry. They have a right to have their own opinions. They have a right to speak their mind. But their just told to "be seen and not heard".

Every sadistic killer you can name all had bad childhoods. Make childhoods better and you will have less killers.

Well like I alluded to before, we can't stop idiots from procreating... so it's not going to happen. People are going to mess up their kids, because they don't care to see that there is better.

I lived with a mother who told me everyday I should have been an abortion. Make a choice, pass on the devastation, or decide once and for all that the person you had to call mom or dad didn't have a clue, and find out from someone who does. Ya can't make someone change that... soooo what you have right there, Bill, though admiriable... is unrealistic in all actuality.

Back
Top Bottom