• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Even Robert E Lee didn't like Confederate monuments!

OK, but my point is that slavery was in the US constitution and thus it was not treasonous to insist on obeying that constitution, in fact, it was treasonous to attack those that wished to have the constitutional provisions adhered to or be allowed to leave the union.

Secession was ruled unconstitutional under 'Texas vs White.' Even the strict constitutionist Antonin Scalia stated, ""If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede." If there was a provision that allowed for secession under the Constitution, surely someone like Scalia would have mentioned it? They seceded, there was no provision under the Constitution for secession, the Confederates were, therefore, traitors.

This does not mean I, personally, wouldn't support secession/treason under the right conditions. The failure of the federal government to protect the 'rights of slaveowners' is not one of them.

Hmm... so if a majority in congress decides to outlaw owning guns or real estate then all states must simply accept that? The idea of the constitution was to require amendment by a super-majority of states not a simple majority in congress.

Hmm... so if a majority in congress decides to outlaw owning guns or real estate then all states must simply accept that? The idea of the constitution was to require amendment by a super-majority of states not a simple majority in congress.

Except Congress had not outlawed slavery. It was still legal in the South up to the point they seceded.

Yep. Lee advised we just forget the whole thing and move on.

He knew that losers shouldn't be memorialized.

Robert E. Lee opposed Confederate monuments | PBS NewsHour

Maybe the monument--like funerals--are more for the living than the dead?

Anyways... there are Vietnam War memorials. Last I checked those American combatants didn't win the Vietnam War.

I don't recall this being a big war cry and need like the air you breathe in the 1980s and 1990s. Why is that? Are Dems and Reps planning on $$$ screwing millions of Americans up the butt in a few months from now or something? As in a need to distract millions from getting $$$ raped by trying to incite their emotional strings? What's next... a long parade of pink vagina caps and near naked gay male twinks on floats united? Less $$$ and more butt grabbing in public and telling Americans they will finally be "free" and "happy" if they pull down all the Confederate monuments?

Look... I'm pretty sure that Rebel Flag is flown out of white pride, white supremacy sympathies. And a lot of those Rebel flag wavers surely lover their Confederate monuments and heroes. But last I checked Obama didn't do jack, zilch, for the North Side of Milwaukee. None of those "New Deal" jobs rebuilding the country flooded into the North Side. So, if he and Democrats and Republicans have problems with some hood in Virginia then my suggestion is they pick up a gun personally, and go there and "handle their business." I'm not riding.

Show me the money (I don't give a hoot about whatever naked gay float with vagina caps spitting on the Cross and cursing Trump you all are planning). No $$$? Then kick rocks. Hillary: "We Americans are one and must stand up against..." Stop right there mega rich Hillary. Are you (Uncle Sam) going to be passing out say... a $50,000 check to me and each black cat from the hood marching? No? Then keep it moving.

"But! But! But! we must save Ukraine!"

Show me the money.

"But! But! But! I would be rich and President if it weren't for Russia! Trump works for Putin!"

Show me the money.

No money? Don't come to me with any concoction of some holy crusader war I must join.

Incorrect your statement is ignorant of the law

Except Congress had not outlawed slavery. It was still legal in the South up to the point they seceded.

That is like saying that the assault weapons ban did not outlaw assault weapons because it had a grandfather clause.

That is like saying that the assault weapons ban did not outlaw assault weapons because it had a grandfather clause.

And why exactly are you comparing the 2nd Amendment to the 3/5 Compromise?

And why exactly are you comparing the 2nd Amendment to the 3/5 Compromise?

Both were ways used to get around amending the constitution to accomplish removing/restricting a right.

Both were ways used to get around amending the constitution to accomplish removing/restricting a right.

I'm afraid I do not follow.

And by God, you will have your revenge!

I need no revenge. The Confederate cause is dead as are the initial traitors. It's a shame the scars they inflicted on this great nation are still felt today.

I need no revenge. The Confederate cause is dead as are the initial traitors. It's a shame the scars they inflicted on this great nation are still felt today.

Why not just let it go, then?

Slavery wasn't outlawed until after the Civil War ended. No, The Emancipation Proclamation didn't outlaw slavery.

Why not just let it go, then?

Because some people insist revering these traitors as heroes instead of the losers they were.

These people claim to be patriotic Americans yet fly the flag of traitors.

Slavery wasn't outlawed until after the Civil War ended. No, The Emancipation Proclamation didn't outlaw slavery.

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? :doh

Because some people insist revering these traitors as heroes instead of the losers they were.

These people claim to be patriotic Americans yet fly the flag of traitors.

Did we win Vietnam?

I never said anything about slavery being outlawed by the Emancipation Proclamation.

I never said you didn't. Stop being so ****ing defensive.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sorry I triggered you.

I never said you didn't. Stop being so ****ing defensive.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sorry I triggered you.

So what was your original point, then?

The traitor part isn't even what gets me. After all, our country was founded by traitors. It is the fact they became traitors in order to preserve an abhorrent system. That is what I find so repugnant.

Who cares about traitors to a higher human authority, that's often a good thing. They were traitors to the ideals of the Constitution, The Enlightenment, social progress for mankind. The world was waking up to the horror of slavery and some inbred redneck white trash made a last stand here.

The remnants are not going to rise up. Enough placating them (against Lee's wishes, heh). Down with the hostile foreign monuments.

Last edited:

Then why did Lincoln try to allow the current slaves in Union states during and after the Emancipation Proclamation?

Why were northern union states making millions of dollars from selling insurance to slave owners in the south for their slaves?

The north has plenty of it's own guilt.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…