• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Europe's daily Covid-19 deaths could reach five times April peak

I should do that now. Thanks for the reminder! :)
Better safe than sorry. And we're not the only ones stocking-up. How do I know? Check-out the availability of Fridges & Freezers, along with the lead/delivery windows!

Paris under curfew as Europe caseload soars
Millions of Europeans on Saturday faced tough new coronavirus restrictions as governments try to combat spiraling infections. Paris and other French cities are under a nighttime curfew that will last for at least a month, while England is banning mixed household gatherings in the capital and other areas and Italy's most populous region is limiting bar openings and suspending sports events. Cases of the disease which has upended life across the globe and wreaked social and economic havoc have been soaring beyond levels seen in the first wave earlier this year, when many countries sought to stem the tide with lockdowns of varying degree.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2003755/paris-under-curfew-as-europe-caseload-soars

It is like living in a horror movie.
What's going on over there? Is the Germ just having its way with us regardless, or is there a reason?

Better safe than sorry. And we're not the only ones stocking-up. How do I know? Check-out the availability of Fridges & Freezers, along with the lead/delivery windows!
Oh Jesus, not again! We still have empty shelves at the grocery store. If people start hoarding again, it's going to be like 1970 Soviet Union.

What's going on over there? Is the Germ just having its way with us regardless, or is there a reason?
The virus is very infectious and we are social by nature. That is a deadly combination.

Daily coronavirus deaths in Europe could reach four or five times their April peak within months without effective countermeasures, the World Health Organization has said, as nine more countries reported record numbers of new infections. Dr Hans Kluge, the WHO’s regional director for Europe, said on Thursday that Europe had recorded its highest weekly number of new Covid-19 cases as the virus again spread rapidly across the continent. “The evolving epidemiological situation in Europe raises great concern: daily cases are up, hospital admissions are up and Covid is now the fifth leading cause of deaths” in the region, killing more than 1,000 people a day, he said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ghest-ever-weekly-covid-cases-says-who-expert

image-1413132714.jpg

Dr Hans Kluge

So, it can get worse before it gets better. What can a person do? I will wear my mask whenever venturing out. Upon returning home I will wash my hands. And finally, unless a trip outdoors is vital, I will be at home. This coming winter will be a time for hibernation.
Think of it this way, maybe it will never get better. Maybe what we are seeing now is just a preview of the death and ruin to come. This could well be the disease that puts humanity out of Gaia’s misery.

Oh Jesus, not again! We still have empty shelves at the grocery store. If people start hoarding again, it's going to be like 1970 Soviet Union.
I was knocked-off my socks, when I went to my local appliance store recently. It was a madhouse! And so much out of stock! And, what goes in all those 2nd & 3rd Fridges & Freezers? Food, of course! Have you priced beef, lately?

It's been that way since March or April. Had an appliance go out and was unable to find a replacement for over 5 months. Still couldn't replace it, finally settled on mis-match colors. Thanks Covid.

It's been that way since March or April. Had an appliance go out and was unable to find a replacement for over 5 months. Still couldn't replace it, finally settled on mis-match colors. Thanks Covid.
Maybe major appliances weren't on the essential businesses list?

it started to pick up again in Scotland when the school kids went back to school and then Universities opened up again and it's went rampant

Wasn't aware it was since the beginning (of Covid). But with the difficulties involved in manufacturing during Covid times, I guess i could see the problem not just being demand, but also supply.

Maybe major appliances weren't on the essential businesses list?
I never did get a good answer from anyone. It was manufacturing, parts supply and shipping, all combined, according to what I could figure out. Hopefully supply is available for those in true need; imagine building a new home and having appliances backordered for a year?

I never did get a good answer from anyone. It was manufacturing, parts supply and shipping, all combined, according to what I could figure out. Hopefully supply is available for those in true need; imagine building a new home and having appliances backordered for a year?
That's got to be really tough on the retailers, too. Businesses are still dropping like dominoes in a line. We're not out of the woods yet with this economic impact.

You didn't really answer my question - do you have a rough timeline of how long a lockdown should last? Why was the first one earlier in the year too short? How much longer should it have lasted to avoid "opening up too fast"?
You can't put time constraints on nature. I have no idea what the ideal length of time for a lockdown is, but there's plenty of evidence of the consequences of reopening too soon.
Mandate mask wearing everywhere with strict penalties for non-compliance and you'll see a steady drop in rates of infection. Reopen when a fully tested, approved and proven to be efficacious vaccine is available for everyone, not before. Businesses will suffer, that's a given, but economies recover over time. If governments used their not inconsiderable financial resources for medical research instead of spending billions on pointless new toys for the military we might be in a better place.

Think of it this way, maybe it will never get better. Maybe what we are seeing now is just a preview of the death and ruin to come. This could well be the disease that puts humanity out of Gaia’s misery.
An extinction event on slow burn? Someone once said that the smallest organism would bring about the downfall of the human race.

If I am a 64 year old with type II diabetes, am I on the last part of my life? I sure hope not. If I can preserve it for a few more years by following guidelines, I will do just that, and everything I can do to save the elderly in my life.

Your attitude about old people is really disgusting. I have lost all argument for people who think like you.

It's your responsibility to protect yourself

Most elderly that are dying are even older than you with more problems

It's your responsibility to protect yourself

Most elderly that are dying are even older than you with more problems
How about your government's responsibility to protect those who elected it? You expect your government to protect you in time of war, so why not now?

How about your government's responsibility to protect those who elected it? You expect your government to protect you in time of war, so why not now?

How about your government's responsibility to protect those who elected it?

That's already happened Snake and isn't working

We have spent at least a few TRILLION on it guy

You can't put time constraints on nature. I have no idea what the ideal length of time for a lockdown is, but there's plenty of evidence of the consequences of reopening too soon.
Mandate mask wearing everywhere with strict penalties for non-compliance and you'll see a steady drop in rates of infection. Reopen when a fully tested, approved and proven to be efficacious vaccine is available for everyone, not before. Businesses will suffer, that's a given, but economies recover over time. If governments used their not inconsiderable financial resources for medical research instead of spending billions on pointless new toys for the military we might be in a better place.
I kinda feel that's the problem. No one has any idea how long a lockdown should be. Easy to see from the backside when they were too short, but doesn't seem like anyone besides China has had an effective lockdown and then been able to open up without resurging case numbers requiring further lockdowns.

I just don't know what will happen if no one can go to a restaurant or bar or have a wedding or go to a movie or play sports or attend school in person for 2-3 years until a vaccine is available. Be interesting to see what shakes out, I guess.

That's got to be really tough on the retailers, too. Businesses are still dropping like dominoes in a line. We're not out of the woods yet with this economic impact.
Not by a long shot. Gonna be a lot more pain coming down the pike, economically speaking, before things start to get better. I don't know that normal is even a forseeable goal anymore, but here's to hoping for "better."

it started to pick up again in Scotland when the school kids went back to school and then Universities opened up again and it's went rampant

Were there restrictions on the return to schools and universities? I know the response in the UK has been a mixed bag of policies varying across the 4 nations; Scotland on the more precautious side.

I kinda feel that's the problem. No one has any idea how long a lockdown should be. Easy to see from the backside when they were too short, but doesn't seem like anyone besides China has had an effective lockdown and then been able to open up without resurging case numbers requiring further lockdowns.

I just don't know what will happen if no one can go to a restaurant or bar or have a wedding or go to a movie or play sports or attend school in person for 2-3 years until a vaccine is available. Be interesting to see what shakes out, I guess.

There's that problem, but what I think is a bigger one is the manner in which a nation comes out of one as well. So far we're seeing that when we have larger reopening policies with less restrictions we get situations where people start congregating in large numbers. In Europe, opening up to travel resulted in many going on holiday and resuming more routine behavior. We're seeing cases rise here in the US as broader reopening policies have people congregating in large groups again (schools etc.).

As for the vaccine, I still feel the bigger win will be effective treatments. I'm not saying a vaccine isn't important, but there will be a lot of efficacy studies before we can conclusively determine how well it will work on the broader population. Treatments will help us get back to some sense of normal in that we can prevent large scale hospitalizations.

You didn't really answer my question - do you have a rough timeline of how long a lockdown should last?

Personally, no. The timing would depend on too many variables (and those variables would differ from place to place).

Why was the first one earlier in the year too short?

Because people started whining about being personally inconvenienced and the politicians thought that that whining might interfere with their chances of re-election.

How much longer should it have lasted to avoid "opening up too fast"?

See answer to first question.

Interesting how where there are the most covid-19 cases are in the countries with the strictest lockdown, masks and other tyrannical orders by their governments.

Really, here are the top 15 countries for COVID-19 cases per million.

20-10-18 zW1 - Worldometer TOP Cases per Million TABLE.JPG

Which of those have the strictest lock downs and other tyrannical orders by their governments and what are those "tyrannical orders"?

Back
Top Bottom