• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

England and Scotland revert back to restrictions on social gatherings

Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September - BBC News

Starting on Monday we are going back to a limit on social gatherings, no more than 6 people. This doesn't include work, schools, funerals or sporting events though so I have no idea what Boris hopes to possibly achieve with this half measure.

These days you have to do what you have to do to limit the spread of the virus. Britain is a country that hasn't been able to slow down infection rates so no surprise they have to take drastic measures again. Though the British government seem to kinda stumble on the finish line again. All restrictions probably help somewhat though.

Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September - BBC News

Starting on Monday we are going back to a limit on social gatherings, no more than 6 people. This doesn't include work, schools, funerals or sporting events though so I have no idea what Boris hopes to possibly achieve with this half measure.

The UK has demolished the myth that simply being an island nation gives you the ability to easily stop the coronavirus. It's an advantage, sure, but only one of many.

And not every nation that is doing well with the coronavirus is an island nation. Australia, Senegal, Germany (after their first wave), etc. are managing their outbreaks quite well.

The UK has demolished the myth that simply being an island nation gives you the ability to easily stop the coronavirus. It's an advantage, sure, but only one of many.

And not every nation that is doing well with the coronavirus is an island nation. Australia, Senegal, Germany (after their first wave), etc. are managing their outbreaks quite well.

It doesn't help though when thousands of Brits have been flying around Europe over the last couple of months going on Holiday. I really think a 2nd lockdown ( if its comes) will be a huge reality check for a lot of people.

New cases and deaths have come way down in the UK, now lower than most, and are waaay better than in the US. This bit better can only help and is more than we are doing or Public Threat-in-Chief Trump is encouraging.

It will fail, just as everything Boris touches. Say what you may about the Spanish or French or Italians.. they have track and trace systems in place that work for the most part... the UK does not. Add to that, the half assed measures in England and you the perfect pot to make a Covid-19 stew in. I have seen many incompetent governments over my lifetime, but there is no doubt that at the moment the Boris and Trump administrations are the worst in recent history.... even beating out the Aznar Government in Spain that laid the ground work for the Spanish crisis and blamed ETA for bombing the Madrid trains in 2004...

It will fail, just as everything Boris touches. Say what you may about the Spanish or French or Italians.. they have track and trace systems in place that work for the most part... the UK does not. Add to that, the half assed measures in England and you the perfect pot to make a Covid-19 stew in. I have seen many incompetent governments over my lifetime, but there is no doubt that at the moment the Boris and Trump administrations are the worst in recent history.... even beating out the Aznar Government in Spain that laid the ground work for the Spanish crisis and blamed ETA for bombing the Madrid trains in 2004...

I'm not sure if Spain is that good of an example. They have been pretty easy going especially with visiting tourists.

I'm not sure if Spain is that good of an example. They have been pretty easy going especially with visiting tourists.

Not sure what you mean by easy going? Every tourist who arrives have to give a phone number and address, plus go through a temperature check. That is enforced. So if someone was later on found to be infected, then people can be contacted.

The thing about Spain is that you dont only have 4 "regions" like in the UK.. you have 17. Medical stuff is down to the regions, not the central government. So when the state of alarm ended the central government in Madrid gave back the power to the regions. Most regions rose to the challenge. The regions that did not, are also the ones getting hit the hardest. Madrid is the "Boris or England" of Spain at the moment.

The big problem in Madrid is that not only do you have an incompetent (right wing) local government that refused to put in place restrictions, but now that they have, you have areas of Madrid (mostly right wing areas) that refuse to follow the guidelines. From what I understand, the Madrid police are fining over 500 people a day for breaking quarantine and arrests are going up. There is a story up north in Galicia where a woman broke quarantine to go surfing. She was fined but still refused to comply and then was arrested. Yes she was quarantined because of a positive test. Now she is threatening the lives of the people who reported her.. so guessing she will spend even more time in jail.

So it is no wonder that this bug is spreading in Spain, when you have politically motivated right wingers refusing to comply with common sense. Remind you of somewhere?

The standing joke today, is that in parliament the VOX party has called the current Centre-Left-Communist government "the worst government in 70 years"... Democracy only came to Spain 40 years ago, so that includes the Franco regime. Of course VOX are the new Falange party in Spain... so not sure how to take them that seriously :)

Typical Johnson/Cummings Clamp down a bit but give the partygoers a weekend to get it out of their system Literally.

Back at the beginning, the UK government produced a shiny progress chart.

EhyeQPNX0AAZgLt

We are currently officially at level 3 (last changed in JUNE so far as I can see!) But we are actually level 4 and should be shutting down again.

Back
Top Bottom