• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Employers of Illegal Immigrants

Should Employers of Illegals be prosecuted

• yes

Votes: 56 90.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is not an excuse or reason to hire illegal workers or pay them less than minimum wage. That is the song and dance that far too many use to justify why employers hire illegals and pay them less than the going wage. Employers do it because they can and the added bonus is they can get away with it.

The vast majority of illegal aliens get paid more than minimum wage. There are not enough people, even convicted felons, to go around to work near minimum wage. This results in some lower skill employers hiring people without checking histories.

Most of you have no idea how business works. Around here ALL of the residential roofing companies (except the one man operations) hire illegals. Here's how it works; if you have a couple of dozen roofing companies, and only a few start hiring illegals, those few will underbid EVERYONE else. They will make it almost impossible for companies using American workers to stay in business. So either you fold up, go out of business, or start hiring illegals yourself. I've seen this progression in roofing, painting, concrete work, landscaping, hotels, restaurants, and lots of other businesses. In business, you are ALWAYS in competition with the lowest bidder.

How do you fix the problem? Empower unions. (I know, it sounds crazy from a conservative like me). But it cannot be fixed by employers. They are trapped in a low bid system. But what if every industry was unionized? Once again, around here commercial construction is unionized, while residential construction is not. There are NO illegals on a commercial construction site around here. The unions would NOT tolerate it. You would have a war on your hands. No commercial general contractor in his/her right mind would try to employ illegals.

What if ALL hotel work was unionized? There would be no illegals in the hotel business anymore. And hotel work would pay a living wage with some benefits. You would have to pay about $10 more per night to stay there, though, but you would probably save that much on your taxes since much less of it would go to welfare.

And if EVERY industry were unionized it would create a level playing field for ALL employers.

Who gets hired first? Illegal aliens or convicted felons?

i feel it is a little hipocritical to demonize those coming to America illegally just trying for a better life.

and not feel the same way about those American employers waving the cash in the air saying all you have to do is get here and you can have a job.

I noticed you did not mention all your sanctuary cities scattered across the country. These sanctuaries send a clear message, come here and you will not be deported and if you commit a crime will release you back into our society. Now the good part of sanctuary cities / states, they have to provide jobs for them, you have to provide health care, give them food stamps, provide housing, education, cell phones etc etc. And I would say these sanctuary cities and states are where all your employers of illegals are based. Sanctuary cities / states, need employers to hire the illegals, if they don't then you have the biggest homeless population that you have to care for.

Exactly what message does sanctuary cities /states broadcast, "come to our city/state and you'll be taken care of."

i feel it is a little hipocritical to demonize those coming to America illegally just trying for a better life.

and not feel the same way about those American employers waving the cash in the air saying all you have to do is get here and you can have a job.

and a government ready to punish the illegals but make it where Americans if they will follow a few simple rules can hire the illegals with no danger of prosecution.

Can you show an employer that waves cash in the air trying to attract illegals?

Who gets hired first? Illegal aliens or convicted felons?

If you're asking who gets hired first right now, as we speak. Illegals, hands down. Not much of a downside to hiring illegals as it stands now.

Hiring convicted felons can carry a lot of risk. And often , even if the employer is willing, their insurance carrier is not.

I once had a post high student, who, in her slightly younger days, had assaulted a fellow office worker and done some time for it. So she had a record as a convicted felon. I tried at several companies I knew to get her a job. No one would touch her. As an office manager explained to me, the legal risk just wasn't worth it. If the woman did ever assault another co-worker, here's how it would go in civil court, AFTER the co-worker victim had filed her lawsuit;

Plaintiff attorney," So, you KNOWINGLY hired a person with a history of violent attacks in the work place".

See where this will lead. A big fat judgement against the employer, that's where.

and a government ready to punish the illegals but make it where Americans if they will follow a few simple rules can hire the illegals with no danger of prosecution.
We have laws in effect now that do just that. Possibly stiffening penalties would help. We have to have standard of documentation employers must have to verify an employee's status.

We have laws in effect now that do just that. Possibly stiffening penalties would help. We have to have standard of documentation employers must have to verify an employee's status.

They're just not enforced.

They're just not enforced.
Yeah, they are. Not so much in California where we seem to protect illegals religiously.

You have to hammer the employers that hire illegals knowingly; and do it in such a way as to make other employers cringe when they even consider knowingly hiring illegals.

You only have to crucify the first few before word spreads quickly.

Yeah, they are. Not so much in California where we seem to protect illegals religiously.

They aren't anywhere that the left wing has political power at least.

Funny how the left talk about employers while we have the left wanting to get rid of ICE, have sanctuary cities, a sanctuary state, they give illegals driver's licenses, let illegals vote in local elections, and they give illegals free health care to the point where both California and New York City are coming up with single payer systems that will even cover illegals. Then the left says it is employers giving illegals the incentives to come here illegally.

One of the best examples of the corruption of our government is the fact that we can't get a simple mandatory E-Verify passed. This is how you know that both parties are completely disingenuous when talking about immigration.

ABOUT E-VERIFY

E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

E-Verify is a voluntary program.
However, employers with federal contracts or subcontracts that contain the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause are required to enroll in E-Verify as a condition of federal contracting. Employers may also be required to participate in E-Verify if their states have legislation mandating the use of E-Verify, such as a condition of business licensing. Finally, in some instances employers may be required to participate in E-Verify as a result of a legal ruling.

E-Verify, which is available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, is currently the best means available to electronically confirm employment eligibility.

https://www.e-verify.gov/

One of the best examples of the corruption of our government is the fact that we can't get a simple mandatory E-Verify passed. This is how you know that both parties are completely disingenuous when talking about immigration.

absolutely

but only one party uses the issue as a political football.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mc...ics-government/congress/article213791734.html

House immigration bill will not include mandate on checking employees' legal status
BY KATE IRBY

AND EMILY CADEI

JUNE 26, 2018 05:24 PM

WASHINGTON
An effort to mandate that every employer use a system to check that their employees are working in the country legally was rejected by House leaders Tuesday — a strong signal that those pushing immigration reform do not believe it has enough support to be passed as part of a comprehensive immigration bill.

I voted yes. But with a caveat. Yes they should be prosecuted, harshly. But ONLY if it can be proven in a court of law that they knowingly hired an illegal immigrant. Illegal aliens like to use fake documents and/or stolen identities in order to get jobs that they normally cannot get without such documents. It is not a companies fault if they did everything that they were supposed to yet still unknowingly hired an illegal alien.

I voted yes. But with a caveat. Yes they should be prosecuted, harshly. But ONLY if it can be proven in a court of law that they knowingly hired an illegal immigrant. Illegal aliens like to use fake documents and/or stolen identities in order to get jobs that they normally cannot get without such documents. It is not a companies fault if they did everything that they were supposed to yet still unknowingly hired an illegal alien.

That's fair, which is why things like e-verify are important so that you can PROVE that you did everything you were supposed to do. If the government tells you this person is legal, it's the government's problem, not the employer's.

Of course, if an employer knowingly and willingly employs an illegal immigrant, they should face prosescution.

One major problem? Identity theft.

Many illegals obtain fake documentation. The most successful method of which is using an existing social security number that belongs to a citizen, supplemented by obtaining driver's license/State ID under the citizen's name, usually from a State the actual citizen does not live in.

A SSAN can be used several times and the citizen may not become aware of the situation until some other red flag appears; i.e. the citizen files for unemployment and "unreported" wages/employment shows up, or an IRS audit due to "under-reporting" income.

Source?

That's fair, which is why things like e-verify are important so that you can PROVE that you did everything you were supposed to do. If the government tells you this person is legal, it's the government's problem, not the employer's.

Which is one reason why I support mandatory e-verify for attaining employment.....among many other things, like getting a bank account.

Which is one reason why I support mandatory e-verify for attaining employment.....among many other things, like getting a bank account.

I support it for a huge number of things. No one who is not a legal resident should be able to rent an apartment (from anyone) or buy property or have a bank account or hold a job of any kind (day labor included) or get any kind of social services whatsoever. If we could stop illegals from doing any of that, the vast majority of them would go home.

I support it for a huge number of things. No one who is not a legal resident should be able to rent an apartment (from anyone) or buy property or have a bank account or hold a job of any kind (day labor included) or get any kind of social services whatsoever. If we could stop illegals from doing any of that, the vast majority of them would go home.

I've said the same in past posts. I would also add returning the 14th Amendment back to its original intent regarding birthright citizenship. It was never meant to apply to illegal aliens. If needed I'd get a new amendment in place to "fix" the misconception that it does.

Back
Top Bottom