• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk is right about Apple

Google, like Apple, charges 15% on the first $1M, both are 30% after $1M
Well, then I guess elon and everyone should be mad at google and apple not just apple. But, don't tell anyone thats a musk fan boy about that.

How so?

I said that if they don't want to be a cog in the machine, they are free to do it on thier own. Twice even.
You went on about how difficult it was, and then act like it's no big deal. That's with Apple and Google controlling 95% of the app market in the US between them.

Apple has the unilateral ability to remove Twitter from the App Store, which would suppress freedom of speech.

Ron DeSantis mentioned this:

Apple and Twitter are for profit business, they can choose who they do business with as long as they don't discriminate based on the protected classes.
That is free market captialism.

Phones are mainly valuable because of the apps.
But not required.
One can always use a search engine or other means to get to a website they want.
Does having apps make earning more money easier for those who have one?

But not required.
One can always use a search engine or other means to get to a website they want.
Does having apps make earning more money easier for those who have one?

Using apps like Uber is much more convenient to use on a desktop.

Apple and Twitter are for profit business, they can choose who they do business with as long as they don't discriminate based on the protected classes.
That is free market captialism.

And you have no problem with Apple's slave labor camps?

And you have no problem with Apple's slave labor camps?
I have a problem with all slave labor camps. Even Ivanka's shoe factory.
How about you?
Never owned an Apple product.

Are you against free market capitalism?

Convenient to do what?

Get a ride......??

Also the same with wallet apps. I don't want to log in to access my credit cards. It is convenient to open my wallet.

I have a problem with all slave labor camps. Even Ivanka's shoe factory.
How about you?
Never owned an Apple product.

Are you against free market capitalism?

Are we in free market capitalism? Have you seen how the FTC has been acting?

Are we in free market capitalism? Have you seen how the FTC has been acting?
Well, there really is no such thing as free market. Someone somewhere can and does game the system in some way.
Free market is a text book concept.

What has the FTC done?

Get a ride......??

Also the same with wallet apps. I don't want to log in to access my credit cards. It is convenient to open my wallet.
Easier to make money for those who have apps. So, they pay for the easier way to make money.

Well, there really is no such thing as free market. Someone somewhere can and does game the system in some way.
Free market is a text book concept.

What has the FTC done?

So when Apple buys Disney, you will have no problem with that and the FTC approving a merger between these two giants?

You went on about how difficult it was, and then act like it's no big deal. That's with Apple and Google controlling 95% of the app market in the US between them.

They control the delivery of 95% of the app market. They didnt produce 95% of the apps. That means that the people making the apps COULD find another delivery method. The problem with that is it would require them creating all of the backoffice stuff that doing so entails. Apparently, it's worth the 30% fee not to have to do that.

It seems kind silly to complain about them not wanting to undertake that cost of business and then at the same time bitch about the people doing it for them

They control the delivery of 95% of the app market. They didnt produce 95% of the apps. That means that the people making the apps COULD find another delivery method. The problem with that is it would require them creating all of the backoffice stuff that doing so entails. Apparently, it's worth the 30% fee not to have to do that.

It seems kind silly to complain about them not wanting to undertake that cost of business and then at the same time bitch about the people doing it for them
What's the point of making an app if you can't get wide distribution? Your comment doesn't make sense.

What's the point of making an app if you can't get wide distribution? Your comment doesn't make sense.

Of course it does.

You are essentially implying that Apple or Google owe the app developer a bigger distribution audience for nothing.

Of course it does.

You are essentially implying that Apple or Google owe the app developer a bigger distribution audience for nothing.
I'm not implying anything. I'm stating facts.

Why are their only two major players? Isn't that an anticompetitive market?

Not really. Android runs on thousands of diffrents phones by dozens of different phone companies. Phone companies can use Android for free.

Okay,

Let's say it costs Apple to create and Manage the app store $10 a month

And Apple makes over $100 a month in fees.

Look it up. The cost of creating and managing an app store is peanuts compared to how much they make.

Craigslist has less than 50 employees and does a billion in revenue annually.

It is not that hard to manage an app store.

Keep in mind, any apps that are free, Apple doesn't charge the developer anything except the yearly developer fee. So Apple makes no money on those apps.

Apple needs to be held accountable for its actions. Have you seen the Apple Sweatshops that use nets to capture workers from trying to kill themselves?

Apple uses Foxconn for building their phones/computers. Even thought it's China, worker are free to work anywhere.

Apple is essentially charging a tax on the internet. Spotify and Facebook, for example, are stand-alone sites that you can access on the internet. They can be accessed without an apple product. However, Apple wants a piece of the pie essentially for these companies having their app on an ios device.

Those developers are more than welcome to provide all of the other services that being on the Apple or Google stores provide....you know, like that security of purchase that comes guaranteed with buying through those services, for example. That doesn't come free, and I would assume that it would cost more than the 30% fee they are paying or they would do it...or prove they really are just that stupid and have more money than brains, which will eventually remedy itself as well.

It makes zero sense for Apple to get a 30% cut for an in-app purchase when these purchases can be made out-of-the app.

Except they can't. If the developer doesn't create the method to do so, the only place to get it would be through Apple. How is this so hard to understand?

Apple is simply the middleman, and they want a 30% cut. A typical cut for a middleman is 10-15%.

Then cut out the middleman entirely and support your own app. Otherwise, don't complain about the going rate.

Back
Top Bottom