• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Done with so-called smart technology!

I agree with you. I refused to get a cell phone because of the scam the telephone companies were pulling, charging both parties for the same call. I am only responsible for the calls I make. I refuse to pay for the calls other people make. So I kept my POTS landline.

I've never owned a smart phone or a cell phone, nor do I intend to get either. If people want to contact me they can reach me at my home.

Wow, you're even more more low-tech than me.

I commend you for not giving in to the hype over these stupid phones. They serve a purpose, but this so-called smart technology has turned many people into a bunch of robotic zombies buried in their devices with no interpersonal skills. Their only social life they seem to have is through a touch screen.
:roll:

A smart phone costs roughly five or six hundred bucks. Replacing a broken screen can cost up to $200. A smart phone case, which prevents a broken screen, costs $15.

Besides, a phone without a case is slippery AF, and they're so thin now that it's awkward to keep in a comfortable grip. A case addresses both problems.

I ditched smart phones for more reasons than their extreme fragility but it played a part.

The cost was another factor. I wasn't even using the damn things very much other than making calls and actually speaking person to person like a phone's true intention. Once in a while I used it for text messages, but I had no use for all those other features so I wasn't getting anywhere near my money's worth.

At this point I'm perfectly content with a simple flip phone and a home computer. I need a smart device like I need my liver extracted.

I actually downgraded my cell from a Samsung Galaxy S9, to a Motorola G7 Power over the summer.

I have owned all of the Galaxy series phones and they were all great, except they were power hogs. I was always breaking the charging ports, particularly on the S5. If I was running Google maps the battery drain down in about a hour or so if I didn't have it on charge, where I can run the G7 for for about 4 1/2 hours on Google maps.

The Motorola G7 Power doesn't need a charge for 4-5 days if your not web browsing and playing videos.

I let it go 6 days without a charge over the Thanksgiving holidays and it was still at 31% power....that was while it was just sitting there and answering the occasional call.

The Motorola was only $247.00 out the door which is less than 1/2 of what I paid for the S9.

It's Bluetooth 4.2 and not 5.0, which I can't understand given the manufacturing date. The camera sucks compared to the S9 but workable.

But overall, it's been the best cell phone I have owned to this point and a great bang for the buck for people who don't have much money to throw out on a phone.

I actually feel sorry for you tech dorks because most of you are obsessed with your smart gadgets to the point where you practically allow them to live your life for you. That's not smart, it's pathetic!

Before I get in my car, I actually do something unusual which is knowing where the hell I'm going before I drive so I don't have to use a silly navigation tool. I also don't need to download an app or have my car and phone "shake hands". Holy freaking cow!

I am happy to know that you buy Apple products, however. The more you and other people like you throw your money away on that stuff, the wealthier it makes Apple shareholders like me.

The thing I find fascinating is your eagerness to share your Luddite hissy fit so badly that it filters down through everything you know and feel.
I suspect you're even noticing a vaguely metallic taste in the honey you put in your tea.
Maybe you should find another issue to obsess over, like animal husbandry or something
I don't currently own any Apple products. I do own a Hackintosh workstation but that's a cheat.

Your ignorance is clouding your ability to comprehend, I'm afraid.
No one said you have to download apps every time you get in the car.
I get in my car, toss my phone into the little cubby hole, start the car, punch in the address on the screen and go.
That's it.
I only had to download something once, and pair the vehicle and my phone ONCE, when we first bought the car.
Now it's automatic, like a dog or cat greeting a familiar face at the window.

No one is forcing you to accept new tech.

Wow, you're even more more low-tech than me.

I commend you for not giving in to the hype over these stupid phones. They serve a purpose, but this so-called smart technology has turned many people into a bunch of robotic zombies buried in their devices with no interpersonal skills. Their only social life they seem to have is through a touch screen.
:roll:

I wouldn't say I was "low-tech." After all, I am using a computer to make this post. However, I prefer my technology to be specific to a particular task. I own a phone to communicate with others. Not to tell time, or Google directions, or watch the latest movies. I have other devices for that. My phone stays at home because I don't want to be tied to a communication device 24/7. I do not want a mobile phone any more than I want a mobile computer.

I also got rid of my TV subscription in 2006, which lowered my blood pressure by 10 points. I have only watched DVDs for the last 14 years. All the latest news I get from the Internet.

The thing I find fascinating is your eagerness to share your Luddite hissy fit so badly that it filters down through everything you know and feel.
I suspect you're even noticing a vaguely metallic taste in the honey you put in your tea.
Maybe you should find another issue to obsess over, like animal husbandry or something
I don't currently own any Apple products. I do own a Hackintosh workstation but that's a cheat.

Your ignorance is clouding your ability to comprehend, I'm afraid.
No one said you have to download apps every time you get in the car.
I get in my car, toss my phone into the little cubby hole, start the car, punch in the address on the screen and go.
That's it.
I only had to download something once, and pair the vehicle and my phone ONCE, when we first bought the car.
Now it's automatic, like a dog or cat greeting a familiar face at the window.

No one is forcing you to accept new tech.

Hold on a minute.

You stated before that your car's navigation system told you turn turn the wrong way on a one-way street, so you essentially believed what a robot told you, and you ended up going the wrong way, causing your wife to freak out.

And you call me ignorant?

Good god, whatever happened to simply knowing where you're going and paying attention to the road? Judging from that post alone, you're apparently a dangerous driver, and a serious accident is waiting to happen if it hasn't already!

I realize I don't have to download apps everytime I get into a car, but the whole idea of even having all these high-tech devices in your car which guide you in the wrong direction clearly indicates that they're not worth the screws that fasten them together.

Not only are you a tech geek, you're also apparently a tech addict which is really on the same level as being an alcoholic or any other junkie. Like most addicts, you'll likely deny this fact and try to dance around the issue. This is why I truly feel sorry for people like you. It's a sickness and it seems you need serious help.

In the last 4 years, I've gone through 2 smart phones which certainly aren't cheap to replace - both of them were dropped and the glass shattered. Since I rarely use a phone except for the occasional text message, and its original purpose which is to make a call and actually speak with someone, I decided to ditch the smart phone and revert to a flip phone. Go ahead and laugh but it's practical, much cheaper, and way sturdier - it doesn't break if dropped!

Another reason I'm done with smart phones is the addiction so many people have to them. I could never understand the fascination of constantly being glued to these devices, and for what? To be on social media, watching stupid youtube videos, playing ridiculous games, or checking texts and email every freaking minute? No thanks, I have a personal computer for those kinds of things which I only use when absolutely necessary.

Also, I'm saying thanks but no thanks to other so-called smart devices like TVs, doorbells, cars, and whatever else. We as a society have become tech nerds to the point where we rely on robotics to do everything for us. Most of all, smart technology is not exactly safe because of the hackers. I realize a standard desktop computer on an internet cable line can be hacked too but the smart devices stand a greater chance of this because of the wireless technology.

These are just a few of the reasons why you won't catch me buried in a phone or those other worthless contraptions. I'm smarter than the so-called smart devices because I actually prefer human interaction and life in the real world!

And stay of my ****ing lawn while your at it.

Hold on a minute.

You stated before that your car's navigation system told you turn turn the wrong way on a one-way street, so you essentially believed what a robot told you, and you ended up going the wrong way, causing your wife to freak out.

And you call me ignorant?

---In 1998. Did you happen to notice that we laugh about it now? I guess not.
Being a new arrival in Jonesboro, Arkansas, even having a local map glued to my forehead wouldn't have avoided this simple honest mistake.
Modern GPS understand One-Way streets now, with relatively few mistakes.
Google Maps (which is what we use now) even understands traffic conditions and accidents ahead.
Even our stock built in UConnect nav does all that.

PS: Did I really say "You are ignorant" ?
I think I said that your ignorance may be clouding your judgment.
I'm largely ignorant on a great many subjects.
If I make the mistake of wandering into a discussion on Israel and the Middle East, I fail miserably sometimes.
I have a fair to middling general knowledge of Israel-Palestine politics but folks who camp in that forum have an understanding at the granular level.
So, in that forum, my ignorance occasionally clouds MY judgment.
See? IT HAPPENS.

---Good god, whatever happened to simply knowing where you're going and paying attention to the road? Judging from that post alone, you're apparently a dangerous driver, and a serious accident is waiting to happen if it hasn't already!

---Good god, you're a pill, and this has devolved into trolling.
You don't have the first clue as to my driving ability or driving record, so this really is just your verbal diarrhea.

I realize I don't have to download apps everytime I get into a car, but the whole idea of even having all these high-tech devices in your car which guide you in the wrong direction clearly indicates that they're not worth the screws that fasten them together.

Not only are you a tech geek, you're also apparently a tech addict which is really on the same level as being an alcoholic or any other junkie. Like most addicts, you'll likely deny this fact and try to dance around the issue. This is why I truly feel sorry for people like you. It's a sickness and it seems you need serious help.

---In the 1980's/1990's I made a very good living with tech, around $2500-3000 a week on average.
Do you think I should be concerned with what you think?
I hope you wipe your personal space down with some Kleenex and alcohol after that.
I'm sure you had to have blown your wad.

Good night.

I hope you wipe your personal space down with some Kleenex and alcohol after that.
I'm sure you had to have blown your wad.

I wasn't even going to respond to your drivel until I saw this highly mature comment.

It's a perfect example of a response from someone with a sickness - accusing someone of doing the exact thing he's guilty of. In your case, you accused me of trolling, then you made the above statement which actually should be reported to the moderators as trolling, but I'll refrain because I understand you clearly have a problem and need treatment.

Don't worry, you're certainly not the only one with this condition. I've known plenty of guys back in school and at work who pretty much fit into the same category - the kind we used to call dweebs, dorks, geeks, and the like. The socially awkward types with very few interpersonal skills. The types who spend the majority of their lives either buried in books or smart devices and couldn't care less about having a life. The types who think their intelligence and high-tech gadgetry will somehow impress other people, but in reality, it's a shield to cover their ignorance of the real world and their enslavement to technology.

Do you know who the Sheldon character is? He and his nerdy companions are what I picture you and people like you as being copies of.

In the last 4 years, I've gone through 2 smart phones which certainly aren't cheap to replace - both of them were dropped and the glass shattered. Since I rarely use a phone except for the occasional text message, and its original purpose which is to make a call and actually speak with someone, I decided to ditch the smart phone and revert to a flip phone. Go ahead and laugh but it's practical, much cheaper, and way sturdier - it doesn't break if dropped!

Another reason I'm done with smart phones is the addiction so many people have to them. I could never understand the fascination of constantly being glued to these devices, and for what? To be on social media, watching stupid youtube videos, playing ridiculous games, or checking texts and email every freaking minute? No thanks, I have a personal computer for those kinds of things which I only use when absolutely necessary.

Also, I'm saying thanks but no thanks to other so-called smart devices like TVs, doorbells, cars, and whatever else. We as a society have become tech nerds to the point where we rely on robotics to do everything for us. Most of all, smart technology is not exactly safe because of the hackers. I realize a standard desktop computer on an internet cable line can be hacked too but the smart devices stand a greater chance of this because of the wireless technology.

These are just a few of the reasons why you won't catch me buried in a phone or those other worthless contraptions. I'm smarter than the so-called smart devices because I actually prefer human interaction and life in the real world!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this until now, but I used to inadvertently damage my phones and break my screens frequently too until I got this thing called an "otter box" with screen protector for my iPhone. It's like tank armor around your phone, and hooks pretty securely on to your belt so it doesn't get sat on in your back pocket or bent in your front pocket. It's water-resistant, drop-resistant, shock-resistant, etc... Ever since I have gotten that, I have not broken any screens of phones, for many years now. And I have dropped my phone on concrete several times from a fairly significant height.

Just a suggestion if you haven't tried it yet...

Do you know who the Sheldon character is? He and his nerdy companions are what I picture you and people like you as being copies of.

Here's "Sheldon" at the time I was making a nice living as a freelance news stringer.

Jeff Karen Mountains 37.jpg

And Sheldon now, some thirty-two years later:

JeffKarenIzzys.jpg

When did you learn to read?
What age were you when you learned to read?

Here's "Sheldon" at the time I was making a nice living as a freelance news stringer.

View attachment 67269606

And Sheldon now, some thirty-two years later:

View attachment 67269607

When did you learn to read?
What age were you when you learned to read?

And this is supposed to make a point - how?

Questioning when I learned to read is relative to the topic - how?

Again, your reply is typical of a person with a sickness. It proves nothing and doesn't alter my opinion 1 way or another. Sheldons come in all forms, but they all exhibit that same eccentric dorky quality - if you can actually call it a quality. You clearly have an addiction and should be seeking treatment.

Not to get off topic too much about being "done" with smart phones but what age do most people think is appropriate for a child to get a cell phone, any kind? I can't believe the amount of kids I see with phones these days and even when I look it up it says the average is 10.3 years old:

Bill Gates Says This Is the '''Safest''' Age to Give a Child a Smartphone | Inc.com

According to the latest research, on average, a child gets his or her first smartphone at 10.3 years old. That same study shows that by age 12, a full 50 percent of children have social media accounts (primarily Facebook and Instagram).
Not so with the Gates family. In a recent interview with The Mirror, Bill Gates said he didn't let any of his children get their own phone until they were 14 years old.

That's right: His kids, now 20, 17, and 14, weren't allowed to have smart phones until they were high school age

Gates is joined in this assessment by James Steyer, CEO of Common Sense Media, a nonprofit that reviews products and content for families. In the Steyer household, kids have to be in high school before they can get a phone -- after demonstrating they can exercise restraint and understand "the value of face-to-face communication.".

I have to agree with Gates and Steyer, I am still holding off until my 11 year old is older to have a phone or goes on social media even though they are begging for it I know they are just not ready for it. I can parent her and spend time with her, I don't need a phone to do it.

And this is supposed to make a point - how?

Questioning when I learned to read is relative to the topic - how?

Again, your reply is typical of a person with a sickness. It proves nothing and doesn't alter my opinion 1 way or another. Sheldons come in all forms, but they all exhibit that same eccentric dorky quality - if you can actually call it a quality. You clearly have an addiction and should be seeking treatment.

Could you reassert YOUR point? Is your point that you are irritated by people who like high tech?
Is your point that we are all "Sheldons", which I guess is your definition of a tech geek?
Is your point that you believe techies are mentally ill?
Is your point that tech people lack social skills?

And lastly, what do you believe should be the proper response from persons like myself to your point?
You accuse me of "having a sickness".
What, in your opinion, is this sickness, specifically?

Is this all about "your opinion"?

PS: Your refusal to answer as to what age you were when you learned to read is noted.

Not to get off topic too much about being "done" with smart phones but what age do most people think is appropriate for a child to get a cell phone, any kind? I can't believe the amount of kids I see with phones these days and even when I look it up it says the average is 10.3 years old:

Bill Gates Says This Is the '''Safest''' Age to Give a Child a Smartphone | Inc.com

I have to agree with Gates and Steyer, I am still holding off until my 11 year old is older to have a phone or goes on social media even though they are begging for it I know they are just not ready for it. I can parent her and spend time with her, I don't need a phone to do it.

They don't actually NEED a cell phone at all, at least until their own safety is an issue but even then, there is no need to give a child a fully featured smart phone. They can do just fine with a regular cell phone that can make phone calls...if there is a definable need to have one for safety purposes.

Outside of that, tech is a powerful tool and like any other powerful tool, users can cause problems that they're not ready to deal with if they're too young or not mature enough to use it properly.

I gave you a "like" for the post buy I completely disagree with you. You dropped your phone which has a glass screen ad it broke? There are many ways to prevent that from happening, one of which is a sturdy rubber case, or a chain that recoil that you can put on your belt.

These are not just cellphones. They are our connection to the outside world and to information. Humans now have in the pam of their hands more information than anyone else ever had before them. What used to take hours, weeks and even months to learn can be done in seconds or minutes. I perceive a time in the not too distant future that schools will no longer be necessary except for some basics. We won't need history or geography or math. We will just need to know how to enter the search terms audibly into our device and the answer will come up instantaneously. "Who fought in WW11 and why?" would instantly be whispered in your ear receiver and most likely you will only have to think the thought instead of audibilizing it. Get in your self driving car, attach you cell to the car computer, tell it where you want to go and you are whisked off with no concern of any accidents while you speed down the highway at 145 mph while listening to Bach or downloading to your brain the history of Taiwan that you will be visiting tomorrow.

Technology creates problems. That's just the way the world works. Humans need to get over the hurdles of learning it and working with it. 4 year olds now know that you have to put your finger on the screen and slide it to bring forth new scenes and ideas. The future is very bright.

Technology creates problems. That's just the way the world works. Humans need to get over the hurdles of learning it and working with it. 4 year olds now know that you have to put your finger on the screen and slide it to bring forth new scenes and ideas. The future is very bright.

Technology is always disruptive. The idea that human beings sometimes chafe at the adjustments, and the idea that industry sometimes suffers the slings and arrows of disruption is hard to dispute.

At one time, FIRE and the WHEEL were disruptive to a certain extent.
At one time AUTOMOBILES were disruptive.
Everything is potentially disruptive to a certain extent.

In 1964 my parents took us kids to the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows New York, where I got my first glimpse at the Bell System/Western Electric futuristic presentation on what they called "PicturePhone".

picturephone.jpg

Forty-four years later, I popped open my laptop and logged onto Skype, so that my then eighty-nine year old mother could see and talk to her grandson Judah, who was stationed in Iraq at the time.

judahhaasandmom.jpg

The transition away from the Bell System's efforts at bringing PicturePhone to the market was the disruption, but the reality is, Skype IS PicturePhone for all practical purposes because Skype also offers the ability to use it AS a telephone, with your own telephone number, so it is capable of both regular phone calls AND video chat all in one package.

My 89 year old mother did not know and wouldn't have cared about the techie details, all she knows is, she was able to see and speak with her grandson stationed overseas.

I did promise my mother in 1964 that someday she would be able to use PicturePhone herself, in her own home.
Mission Accomplished :D

Could you reassert YOUR point? Is your point that you are irritated by people who like high tech?

I'm irritated by people that are addicted to high-tech as you evidently are. Ordinarily I wouldn't care because it's your business. The problem arises when the addiction becomes a disturbance or even a hazard to others around you.

A good example is your admittance to relying on a car's navigation system that guided you incorrectly, which caused you to drive the wrong direction on a one-way street. I mean seriously dude, if you actually used the brain you were born with and paid attention to the road and the signage instead of a worthless POS, that incident could have been easily prevented. Doesn't matter if it was 1998, 2008, or last week. You wouldn't have found it so funny if it resulted in a situation which cost the lives of innocent people in your path!

Is your point that we are all "Sheldons", which I guess is your definition of a tech geek?

Every tech-addicted person I've run across exhibits pretty much the same personality traits as the Sheldon character does.

Is your point that you believe techies are mentally ill?

I said they have a sickness, which refers to an obsessive-compulsive addiction. I see it all the time with people hypnotized by their stupid phones. The few times they actually look someone in the eye and communicate verbally, it's usually boasting about their new uploaded apps, or how they have smart-this or smart-that. Seriously, who in the real world gives a flying flip?

Is your point that tech people lack social skills?

Generally speaking, yes, and you would have gotten this point if you bothered to read what I wrote previously.

And lastly, what do you believe should be the proper response from persons like myself to your point?
You accuse me of "having a sickness".
What, in your opinion, is this sickness, specifically?

Holy cow, do you not have basic reading comprehension skills? I already stated this very clearly. :roll:

Is this all about "your opinion"?

Yeah and so what? Having opinions is what a discussion forum like this is about. You have an extensive posting history on this site - no surprise - so perhaps you should have caught on to this by now, yes?

PS: Your refusal to answer as to what age you were when you learned to read is noted.

And irrelevant to the topic at hand. This as well as your other pointless comments on this thread have been noted.

They don't actually NEED a cell phone at all, at least until their own safety is an issue but even then, there is no need to give a child a fully featured smart phone. They can do just fine with a regular cell phone that can make phone calls...if there is a definable need to have one for safety purposes.

Outside of that, tech is a powerful tool and like any other powerful tool, users can cause problems that they're not ready to deal with if they're too young or not mature enough to use it properly.

Wow, you finally made a sensible post which I can fully agree with. Congratulations!

I gave you a "like" for the post buy I completely disagree with you. You dropped your phone which has a glass screen ad it broke? There are many ways to prevent that from happening, one of which is a sturdy rubber case, or a chain that recoil that you can put on your belt.

These are not just cellphones. They are our connection to the outside world and to information. Humans now have in the pam of their hands more information than anyone else ever had before them. What used to take hours, weeks and even months to learn can be done in seconds or minutes. I perceive a time in the not too distant future that schools will no longer be necessary except for some basics. We won't need history or geography or math. We will just need to know how to enter the search terms audibly into our device and the answer will come up instantaneously. "Who fought in WW11 and why?" would instantly be whispered in your ear receiver and most likely you will only have to think the thought instead of audibilizing it. Get in your self driving car, attach you cell to the car computer, tell it where you want to go and you are whisked off with no concern of any accidents while you speed down the highway at 145 mph while listening to Bach or downloading to your brain the history of Taiwan that you will be visiting tomorrow.

Protective cases have been stated on here many times and I'm fully aware of their availability.

My decision to get rid of smart phones went far beyond the fact that they're extremely delicate and easily breakable. Many other factors played a part.

Main reason is - I simply do not need smart phones, which are anything but smart. I hardly ever used mine other than making calls or the occasional text. I can easily do that on a much sturdier flip phone. Looking up information and checking email can be accomplished just as effectively and efficiently on my home computer when needed.

When I get in my car, I simply want to start the engine and drive myself. Screw automation, the downloads, or "shaking hands" with other devices. It's a shame that humans are reaching the point where they don't want to think or do for themselves, but instead rely on some bullsh!t robotic device to live their lives for them.

So you think we won't need schools very much in the future? School isn't only about the academics, but the social skills and communication that are sorely lacking in society anymore. Tech geeks are the leaders when it comes to lacking in these skills.

What about physical education? Many kids are already out of shape and obese as it is. Eliminate schools and that would mean getting rid of phys-ed and youth sports too. If that happens, all we're doing is paving the way for future generations of inactive phone-gawking, tech-obsessed nitwits. We already have plenty of kids and adults who fit this bill perfectly.

The future you painted sounds anything but bright!

I wonder if there is an app for that.

Alright! I now have the idea for a great app. SMOOCH. You run it on your phones, then reach over and touch each others' phones together, registering a 'smooch'! Think of the fun at parties! And at family gatherings! Think it will catch on?

Probabley enough to make a little dough. This is America after all.

Back
Top Bottom