• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump Gives New Details on Social Security Plans

MauiMan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

———————————————————————————
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY, DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS MAN!

Our government (regardless of party) has squandered our wealth and mismanaged SS. It can't go on in perpetuity without some changes. I doubt any change will affect folks collecting SS, changes will be grandfathered in.

If you want Social Security to be around for another 87 years then you must realize something has to be done to preserve it. That can take many forms, cuts, tax increases, raising the age for benefits, and aggressive plan to cut the fraud in the system, are the ones often discussed. At any rate the projections are that the system is going broke and will be forced to cut benefits in the future without some changes in one or all of these areas.
I'm for some minor changes. A small increase in the tax, a raise on the cap on income subject to tax, and a small graduated rise in the age to receive benefits. Nothing too harsh and nothing that would harm those presently on SSI or who would be in the near future. 5-10 years perhaps.

Never voted for traitor trump, never will. President Biden has earned my vote again, he's done an impressive job while in office, and will do more good for our country and citizens with another term in office.

F3gp6avWMAc3JR3.jpg

Never voted for traitor trump, never will. President Biden has earned my vote again, he's done an impressive job while in office, and will do more good for our country and citizens with another term in office.
Biden's latest budget is 1.7 trillion more than is brought in. I hope future generations will forgive us for living high on the hog at their expense.

Our government (regardless of party) has squandered our wealth and mismanaged SS. It can't go on in perpetuity without some changes. I doubt any change will affect folks collecting SS, changes will be grandfathered in.
If you want Social Security to be around for another 87 years then you must realize something has to be done to preserve it. That can take many forms, cuts, tax increases, raising the age for benefits, and aggressive plan to cut the fraud in the system, are the ones often discussed. At any rate the projections are that the system is going broke and will be forced to cut benefits in the future without some changes in one or all of these areas.
I'm for some minor changes. A small increase in the tax, a raise on the cap on income subject to tax, and a small graduated rise in the age to receive benefits. Nothing too harsh and nothing that would harm those presently on SSI or who would be in the near future. 5-10 years perhaps.

Al Gore's lockbox idea would have largely if not entirely fixed it. But he also doesn't want humanity to make its existence about a hundred times harder by burning the environment to the ground, whereas righties have wanted for decades to burn the environment to the ground in order to piss off the left and thereby "own the libs".

They need to implement that idea and have no cutoff for SS witthholding.

Trump: "The middle class largely built this country, and they've been treated very, very badly with policy," he said

And by and large, his Trumpists are so damn stupid they think that guttin SS will help the low to middle class. They're also dishonest enough that if he manages it, they'll just believe him when he blames the Democrats for their suffering.

That's why we're screwed on this and just about every front: the huge mass of righties interested in nothing more than feeling that they have upset the left.

🤷

———————————————————————————
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY, DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS MAN!
I watched the segment of Trump on CNBC Monday morning. Trump called in by phone and rattled on for 40 minutes. To me, the comments on Social Security were just a small part of the complete craziness of the entire interview. He is totally unhinged. Joe Kernan who conducted most of the interview is a strong Republcan. The best comment he could come up with following the interview was something like, "Well, give Trump credit for taking the questions." He didn't address the fact that Trump gave almost no details on the questions and quickly veered off to his typical rants. It was completely nuts.

Biden's latest budget is 1.7 trillion more than is brought in. I hope future generations will forgive us for living high on the hog at their expense.

The US has spent more than it gets in revenue for years. That includes the Trump Presidency. Clinton was the last President who had budgets that did not add to the debt.

don't put it all on Biden it has been going on since Reagan, and it has been the Republican Presidents that have run it up the most.
Reagan almost TRIPLED it, Bush II DOUBLED it , Trump ran it up as much as Obama did , and he did it all in 4 years it took Obama 8 years.
and as for the cap on taxing people on SS , take it off , the average American doesn't earn anywhere near where the cap is, the average American has to pay all year and never get near the cap so take it off and let everybody pay it all year.
and as I have said before we need to have a balanced Budget amendment with some teeth in it,
it should be that we can NOT spend more then we take in , the ONLY exception to this would be in case of a war like WWII or a DEEP recession / Depression , then we should have a 1 or 2 % national sales tax that would ONLY be used to pay off the debt and when it is paid off the sales tax would be suspended and NOT be put back in use until we needed it to pay off any debt we incur because of a war or a depression.
and EVERYBODY should have to pay it NO exceptions and no deductions for it on federal income taxes. even large corporations
fact is everybody got the benefit from running it up so everybody should help pay it off.
Have a nice day

Our government (regardless of party) has squandered our wealth and mismanaged SS.
No, it hasn't.

Every single cent that has been borrowed from the Trust Funds has been repaid. Every. Single. Cent.

The problem is there are more retirees, and proportionately fewer workers getting taxed, than in the past. The result is that by around 2030 or so, payroll taxes will cover around 75% of the benefits. That's not "mismanagement," it's just demographics.

It can't go on in perpetuity without some changes.
That's true, but this is no different than when Reagan made a few tweaks in the 80s. Your options are:

• Reduce benefits
and/or
• Collect more in taxes
and/or
• Fill in the gap with general tax revenues

What we really should do is get rid of the segregated payroll tax, because dollars are fungible, therefore a tax is a tax is a tax. All that the segregated payroll tax does is feed the idiotic and counterproductive "crisis" mentality around SS. :rolleyes:

Contrary to Trump's claims, there is very little fraud or theft, nor "bad management of entitlements."

I doubt any change will affect folks collecting SS, changes will be grandfathered in.
It might. E.g. we could narrow the gap by increase the age of collecting SS; reduce benefits to those not already collecting; getting rid of the tax ceiling; by adding taxes on capital gains, and so on. But that's a choice that Trump is deeply unqualified to make.

F3gp6avWMAc3JR3.jpg
Sounds like you are voting against Trump and not voting for Biden.

WEll, you aren't telling the truth about social security or medicare.

As usual, your post is a lie. It also reeks of desperation with your unrelated ignorant bloopers and blunders garbage. I'd tell you to be better, but I know for you that's not possible. Stop posting nonsense and propaganda, you apparently are still drinking traitor trump's KoolAid......not very wise. His cultists will never face reality and get up off their knees. Too bad, so sad...for them.

The US has spent more than it gets in revenue for years. That includes the Trump Presidency. Clinton was the last President who had budgets that did not add to the debt.
Clinton was pushed into a balance budget by the Republican House Leader Newt Gingrich. It was one of the best things Congress and a President have done domestically. Clinton, famous for constantly "reinventing himself" saw the economic and political benefits of that move.

I watched the segment of Trump on CNBC Monday morning. Trump called in by phone and rattled on for 40 minutes. To me, the comments on Social Security were just a small part of the complete craziness of the entire interview. He is totally unhinged. Joe Kernan who conducted most of the interview is a strong Republcan. The best comment he could come up with following the interview was something like, "Well, give Trump credit for taking the questions." He didn't address the fact that Trump gave almost no details on the questions and quickly veered off to his typical rants. It was completely nuts.

That’s how TrumpSpeak usually goes.

It will only happen if R's control the legislative process, but what have elected R's done recently that leads you to believe they would protect those currently receiving it?

Social Security is going to be a non factor very soon.

We are going to have to come up with a UBI system because employment will be a thing of the past for the overwhelming majority of people very soon because of AI/automation.

SS is going to be moot.

Clinton was pushed into a balance budget by the Republican House Leader Newt Gingrich. It was one of the best things Congress and a President have done domestically. Clinton, famous for constantly "reinventing himself" saw the economic and political benefits of that move.
sigh.
and has any speaker since then pushed a President to sign a balanced budget?
It is common knowledge that Congress holds the purse strings and writes the spending Bills. The President either signs the Bills into law or veto's them.

Then explain why no speaker since Gingrich has pushed a balanced budget spending Bill. Did not happen under Trump, did it?

Baloney! You don’t know what The Crook is going to do.

Al Gore's lockbox idea would have largely if not entirely fixed it. But he also doesn't want humanity to make its existence about a hundred times harder by burning the environment to the ground, whereas righties have wanted for decades to burn the environment to the ground in order to piss off the left and thereby "own the libs".

Trump: "The middle class largely built this country, and they've been treated very, very badly with policy," he said

And by and large, his Trumpists are so damn stupid they think that guttin SS will help the low to middle class. They're also dishonest enough that if he manages it, they'll just believe him when he blames the Democrats for their suffering.

That's why we're screwed on this and just about every front: the huge mass of righties interested in nothing more than feeling that they have upset the left.

🤷
It’s amazing by the Supreme Court decision, we went from having the debt paid off in 2012 to having $30+ trillion dollars in debt and the idea of losing Social Security.

But that’s what you get when you cut taxes without cutting spending.

🤷

The simplest (easiest?) way to keep SS solvent (prevent exhausting the SS ‘trust me’ fund) is to raise the SS FICA ‘payroll’ tax rates(s) by 25% (from 6.2% to 7.75%). Using liberal math, that’s only a 1.55% tax rate increase.

The formula used for computing an individual’s ‘full benefit’ amount is already skewed (bracketed?) to give lower income earners a greater SS retirement ‘supplemental’ benefit (despite having a flat rate FICA ‘payroll’ tax), but it makes little sense to raise the ‘income cap’ which would increase the SS benefits for those making the highest incomes.

Back
Top Bottom