• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump’s tax returns released by US House committee

I don't understand your position. Are you saying it's the place of the IRS IG to investigate, the House, or both? And you have to know that the House absolutely is not going to investigate it, so why would you state that?
I think it would be appropriate for either the IG or the House to investigate. Though technically since this is an IRS internal policy it would probably be most appropriate for the IG. I’m not sure if the House’s oversight authority extends to internal policies within the executive branch or not, though i would guess it does.

I think it would be appropriate for either the IG or the House to investigate. Though technically since this is an IRS internal policy it would probably be most appropriate for the IG. I’m not sure if the House’s oversight authority extends to internal policies within the executive branch or not, though i would guess it does.
The House isn't going to investigate so that's a nonstarter. As for the IG, that's an avenue that I don't fully understand. I don't know what triggers an internal investigation.

Please post your tax returns.
To copycat Top Cat, when I run for any public office I will absolutely do that. And if my tax returns are so embarrassing as to negate my candidacy, then I simply won't run for office.

Those weren't from his returns.
...what do you think they used to show the fraud? Seriously, are you this ignorant to what has been going on? Or are you just hoping no one will notice your dishonestly transparent attempt to ignore all of Trump's tax returns and focus only on a select few?
You're not very good at this whole "comprehending the written word" thing are you?
I'm doing fine, you seem to be struggling with keeping up with the news.
Your lack of self-awareness is staggering. In fact, it's worse than I originally thought.
"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the law on your side, pound the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

Your table is taking quite a beating in this thread.

Regardless what your opinion of Trump is, this sets a dangerous precedent (thanks Democrats). Individual tax returns should never be public knowledge, ever. This was done in an egregious and partisan way to attack Trump. All this means is that Congress can go after anyone and release their tax returns, anyone.
Sure, sure, right after they come and take away everyone's guns.

It’s already known that they did not conduct the audits as they are required to by their own internal policy. It’s definitely a pertinent question for House oversight to ask and they did, which is what started the whole ball rolling.
Is there an actual statement by the IRS that stated they did NOT conduct and Audit. Or again, is it the opinion of the Ways and Means committee as they disagree with his tax return.

With that, What is the point of releasing his Tax Return,

If a policy/audit was not conducted, why was it not, what does releasing Trumps Tax return have to do with the actions of the IRS conducting or not conducting and Audit.

Again... Those in charge can ask and if it wasnt conducted why, if it was directed by the POTUS, then you have your "Smoking Gun" other than that, the release of his Tax returns is useless.

This is just a wild goose change.. that doesnt answer the real underlying questions.

Who do you think would be in trouble for violating an IRS policy?

Try violating an IRS policy is tell us all how it went.

In 2016, Trump said he would release his tax returns as soon as the IRS was done with his audit (which doesn't even make sense because you can release your returns even if under audit.) We now know that was a lie, he wasn't under audit. Moreover, presidents' tax returns are required to be audited by the IRS. However, Trump seemed to have directed the IRS not to review his taxes, a violation of law.

So, why should Trump be unduly rewarded for stalling oversight beyond his presidency?
A9695932-ACE5-4356-9C3B-063532839B68.jpeg

Try violating an IRS policy is tell us all how it went.
Okay, so if I wear jeans to an IRS office end the dress code policy there requires slacks, how long will I serve in prison?

Is there an actual statement by the IRS that stated they did NOT conduct and Audit. Or again, is it the opinion of the Ways and Means committee as they disagree with his tax return.

With that, What is the point of releasing his Tax Return,

If a policy/audit was not conducted, why was it not, what does releasing Trumps Tax return have to do with the actions of the IRS conducting or not conducting and Audit.

Again... Those in charge can ask and if it wasnt conducted why, if it was directed by the POTUS, then you have your "Smoking Gun" other than that, the release of his Tax returns is useless.

This is just a wild goose change.. that doesnt answer the real underlying questions.
That was a statement by the Ways and Means committee. I haven’t seen any reason to doubt what they say is factual though.

Regardless what your opinion of Trump is, this sets a dangerous precedent (thanks Democrats). Individual tax returns should never be public knowledge, ever. This was done in an egregious and partisan way to attack Trump. All this means is that Congress can go after anyone and release their tax returns, anyone.

The Democrats are the party of dangerous precedents.

The Democrat supporters have long mislabeled me as a "Trumpist" solely because I opposed their endless stream of bad precedent setting acts driven by their rabid and irrational anti-Trumpism.

And, in the end, they didn't even get anything from it. All they found out was that Trump used every legal tax haven provided by federal law... the same as every single one of their millionaire and billionaire Democrat politicians.

They likely did this knowing full well that they had no constitutional grounds to do it. They will get a slap on the wrist and scream bloody murder if the Republicans return the favor.

Last edited:
That was a statement by the Ways and Means committee. I haven’t seen any reason to doubt what they say is factual though.
Their statement was that they found things in Trumps Tax return they didnt agree with implying that an Audit did NOT occur. This does NOT confirm that an Audit did NOT occur, this is their statement of Opinion not FACT.

The ways an means, I dont recall sending a specific letter to the IRS requesting a confirmation that they did or did NOT conduct an audit. That has yet to be actually confirmed.

Last edited:
Okay, so if I wear jeans to an IRS office end the dress code policy there requires slacks, how long will I serve in prison?

Yes, because that's exactly the same as the IRS failing to audit a President.

Yes, because that's exactly the same as the IRS failing to audit a President.
The point is, the only people who would be in trouble for failing to follow an IRS policy are IRS employees.

Their statement was that they found things in Trumps Tax return they didnt agree with implying that an Audit did NOT occur. This does NOT confirm that an Audit did NOT occur, this is their statement of Opinion not FACT.

The ways a means, I dont recall sending a specific letter to the IRS requesting a confirmation that they did or did NOT conduct an audit. That has yet to be actually confirmed.
The statement by Neal was that an audit had not been conducted if Trump’s 2016 taxes until he’d sent the IRS a letter asking about the status of the audits in 2019. I’m really not sure what point you’re trying to make.

I mean we will learn more but the main issue here is he fought the irs from even auditing his taxes while telling the American public he couldn't release them because they were being audited..

Which Is a lie.

Just like how he said they automatically get audited..but only if you don't fight it and put what's his name in charge of the irs. Who stalled and ransacked the irs anyways so they couldn't do their required job..

The defenders will naturally try to make this about the democrats releasing the tax info all the while ignoring that once again trump lied to them and threw them under the bus.

But that's what you get when you have no principles

And not one cultist cares.

He seems rather agitated that the Dems cut through the red tape and got it done.

Something he has always promised has come through and he's upset about it. What gives?

The statement by Neal was that an audit had not been conducted if Trump’s 2016 taxes until he’d sent the IRS a letter asking about the status of the audits in 2019. I’m really not sure what point you’re trying to make.
Reading the policy further, I now realize something else.

There is NOTHING in the policy that states each year is mandatory, It just says that an audit of the POTUS and VPOTUS. Meaning that any or all of the 4 years could be audited.

WITH that.. if we are to play semantics.... Can we confirm since the policy, has ALL years of Each POTUS & VPOTUS been audited or a select year is audited.

This would blow a hole in this whole thing. Reading further and reading the House and Ways committee report.

I think the last couple of Presidents had "select" years audited, Not EACH and every year.

Fact is.... at least 1 year was audit.
Fact currently all returns are public which he was a public servant.

Currently he faces no charges,
IRS has not sent any referrals to the DOJ or FBI
Any IRS audit issues would likely end up being a penalty or fine, generally civil unless they can connect it to a crime which no one is acutally accusing him of such.

the "Only" Public opinion is that he paid no taxes in 2020..... which I bet MANY millionaires/billionaires.. paid little to no taxes during those year.

You're the guys always waving around the constitution and telling everyone this that and the other thing is not in the constitution, like abortion. I do not understand your desire to die on trump's tax return hill? Not a crook? Seriously? Trump asking for a loan, my property is worth $200 million, time to pay taxes on same property, it's worth $20 million. So what trump lied right, no big deal but he's not a crook.
Re-read what he said. Trump's tax returns didn't show him to be a crook. He never said Trump wasn't a crook.

Please post your tax returns.
You completely missed the point of my post.

Missed the Point.jpg

I suggest you re-read it as it seemed pretty clear and to miss the point by that much .... well, I don't think I can help.

there ya go
It sets no such precedent. This has nothing to do with individual returns. I have heard this line so many times that he must be a right wing talking point. Is this something Hannity or Carlson has come up with? Its rather nonsensical.

Trump is not just some private citizen. He was President. He also was unusually secretive about the sources of his income and to who he was beholden. People had a right to know such even before he earned the party nomination. Candidates should honor the custom of making your returns public for many good reasons. People have a right to the sources of a candidates income, particularly if its foreign sourced. In Trump's case, there were numerous, credible allegations of emoluments and a history of tax fraud (he has presided over two entities that were guilty of tax fraud), and people have a right to know if their President is a crook (which he is).

This is on Trump. The returns should have been turned over years ago, but he chose to try to run out the clock by gaming the legal system. I do acknowledge that the Democrats releasing this returns to the public is a bit of gamesmanship, but it's Trump that chose the game. I will point out that Trump said he was fine with releasing his returns (the RWM tells us we are suppose to believe other things he said, like "go peacefully").

I have zero pity for Trump's "rights" here, this was a game he decided to play.

This has nothing to do with private citizen Trump, he has to do with a man who once was president and made some material omissions to his constituents.
Should I ever run for President, I will release all of my taxes. Until such time, its moot.

Last edited:
They weren’t required by law to audit his taxes. I don’t know why people keep repeating this lie.
Apparently Obama’s taxes were audited as Biden’s have been. Trump’s were not for his first years, but then were when Democrats raised the issue. Apparently it is a mandatory administrative rule that the IRS is to do this, but not part of any law. And you are forgetting Trump’s lie from the campaign about being unable to release his taxes due to an audit.

Back
Top Bottom