• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you like this kind of music ?

?

• Total voters
And there's a reason why their music has been around for decades.
Who cares how long something has been around. Hell my first album was put out in 2008. Technically my music then has been around for a decade and a half. Good is good no matter how old or new it is. It is when people say "music today isn't like what it used to be" that pisses me off. We have thousands of ways to find music both new and old that if you can't broaden your horizons musically you're a lazyass.

Last edited:
We have our own COUNTRYside ?
Country music, also Country &Western, Bluegrass/mountain music, Honky-Tonk, Nashville Sound, Bakersfield Sound.... doesn't just spring forth because there is a "countryside" with grass and milk cows. It comes from inside PEOPLE who live in America.

Now, the roots of it originate partly from Irish, Scottish, and English folk music, and no doubt there isn't also some European flavors added in with for example yodeling. But it had to come from America.

It's kind of like early British rock and roll, which BTW is really good. They took the Black American blues and country and made it into an expression of their own. But country music really does not work unless you are a country person. Many artists here try to be country too, but it really doesn't work unless you are really country people.

And our countryside also produces countrymusic.

I understand people can be fans of something, but at the root of music is a feeling that must be organic. Here in America a lot of White city people attempt to make Black blues music. Some are reasonably okay, but it is never as good as the real thing. No White man can express the feeling in the music that came from Black southern delta experiences.

Nonetheless, it's idiotic music in my opinion because it's cheesy German-language music that makes me cringe.
Germans are great at marching bands. They should stick to that.

Maybe a lot of Americans feel the same about their own countrymusic ...
Trust me, not all country music here is good. Too much tries to be like modern pop and rock and roll. Music is big industry, and record labels will always try to sell crap to any lazy eared people who don't know better.

We have our own COUNTRYside ?

And our countryside also produces countrymusic.

Nonetheless, it's idiotic music in my opinion because it's cheesy German-language music that makes me cringe.

Maybe a lot of Americans feel the same about their own countrymusic ...

There are certainly different opinions in the USA as to even what is (and isn’t) country music.

That station really helped me a lot when my wife Mary Ann passed away. TV just wasn't a void filler that I cared for and I found that station soon after she passed and have had it on every day and night since.

I am a monthly donor now as well.
My condolences for Mary Ann's passing. I find that good music can be such a soothing relief when times get tough.

WE AGREE ON SOMETHING!!!!
Now, what I DO like is when someone takes a song, be it pop or otherwise, and either turns it into something else or does it better than the original.

Here's an example:

The original...

Better...

That leaves out ABBA! And ZZ Top! :)

Woody & Arlo, Buddy, Hendrix are all on the Top Grande. I need to listen more to Tom Waits as he is very highly critically rated. Definitely have to investigate further into Boggs. Bill Monroe, The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Lead Belly, Flatt & Scruggs, original Cajun artists, all have prominent spots on the Top Grande. I could spend a couple of years strictly dedicated to discovering and learning more of Taj Mahal's discography, and I probably should. Tried but I haven't been able yet to appreciate Zappa. I recognize his musical talent and pay the man his due respect, but I haven't yet warmed to his music. I went to one of his concerts here in Houston back in the late 70s and we walked out after 4 songs. (Sorry!) Dr. John was extremely talented but again, I'm not intimately familiar with his catalog. I remember his 70s single "Right Place, Wrong Time." I guess I need to dedicated an additional year to his music. I know I'll enjoy it. Phillips sounds like an interesting character, in a similar vein as W Guthrie politically.

I tried hard to steer GSH's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" into my Top 1000, but it just couldn't be squeezed in. It is spoken word so it's hard to even call it a song though it does obviously have musical and percussion elements. But I love it greatly, and it was so appropriate that it was inducted into the National Recording Registry in 2005. I'm not familiar with his other music, so he'll have to get in line. I'm on a classical music renaissance binge right now.
ZZ top is cool, Abba is out, I’m a fan of Zappa because of his PoV & I think “Trouble coming every day is equal to the best Dylan or Woody songs for power.
I came up on Elvis, Little Richard,Chuck Berry, ect. Dylan’s 1st album made me delve into the folks he was covering. I developed a liking for Blues & old times sounds like some you mentioned. Americana, like the Band, while keeping current with Rock & Roll, Stones, Little Feat, CCR etc, not in tune with much current stuff although I’m sure there’s still good stuff out there.

Now, what I DO like is when someone takes a song, be it pop or otherwise, and either turns it into something else or does it better than the original.

Here's an example:

The original...

Better...

I literally listened to that Jay Hawkins song earlier today!

Anymore sax and keyboards are so under-utilized in music (at least popular music) it's almost criminal. Even some metal bands from Europe are adding in flutes and accordions and other different instruments.

I just recorded an arrangement from a Nintendo game with rock drums, electric guitars, strings, and a damn pan flute!

Music to me isn't about how you sell it. It's about the art.

Oh yes, Americans are quite divided over mainstream country music because of the cheesiness, the inauthenticity, and the corporate whoring. Check out Florida Georgia Line or Rascall Flatts for the worst offenders. Also, the fans tend to be some of the most smooth-brained obnoxious American white trash stereotypes you'll ever encounter.

There are significant variations among performers (artists?) and the songs that they choose to perform within any musical genre (classification?). Country music is often used to describe anything from bluegrass to southern rock and to include folk, ballad an pop songs.

Anymore sax and keyboards are so under-utilized in music (at least popular music) it's almost criminal. Even some metal bands from Europe are adding in flutes and accordions and other different instruments.

I just recorded an arrangement from a Nintendo game with rock drums, electric guitars, strings, and a damn pan flute!

IMHO, the following is a better version:

Oh...yeah...some of my favorite music is gaming music.

I like a lot of the old 8-bit music that has been arranged for orchestra. Final Fantasy music comes to mind.

But game music after the 8-bit era is so freaking varied you can always find something great.

Here's a song from an old game that melds a couple of different styles.

IMHO, the following is a better version:

This is not what I consider taking a song and doing it better than the original. I call this taking a song and doing it differently.

Now, that song has been done "differently" by a LOT of people. But very few people keep the original song....but do it better than Screaming Jay Hawkins.

This is not what I consider taking a song and doing it better than the original. I call this taking a song and doing it differently.

Now, that song has been done "differently" by a LOT of people. But very few people keep the original song....but do it better than Screaming Jay Hawkins.

OK, but IMHO keeping the song completely “original“ is boring.

Original:

Cover:

OK, but IMHO keeping the song completely “original“ is boring.

Original:

Cover:

Well, I was around when the original "Runaway" was released, and I can tell you that it was not consider boring at the time. But, of course, that doesn't mean other artists can't/won't do it better or differently. I like both versions.

But what Angelina Jordan did was keep the original "I Put a Spell on You" and take out the campyness.

Not to harp on Angelina Jordan, but here she is taking a song from the "King of Pop" and turning it into a jazz song.

Gipsy kings, Cheb Khaled, Cesaria Evora, Kiroro. The songs that carried me around the world.

Well, I was around when the original "Runaway" was released, and I can tell you that it was not consider boring at the time. But, of course, that doesn't mean other artists can't/won't do it better or differently. I like both versions.

But what Angelina Jordan did was keep the original "I Put a Spell on You" and take out the campyness.

Not to harp on Angelina Jordan, but here she is taking a song from the "King of Pop" and turning it into a jazz song.

The studio versions of the song Cocaine by JJ Cale and covered by Eric Clapton were very close and released almost simultaneously, but the live versions differed a bit more.

Original:

Cover:

Last edited:

Joe Cocker is good at making a song his own. Not necessarily better, but he owns 'em.

That leaves out ABBA! And ZZ Top! :)

Woody & Arlo, Buddy, Hendrix are all on the Top Grande. I need to listen more to Tom Waits as he is very highly critically rated. Definitely have to investigate further into Boggs. Bill Monroe, The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Lead Belly, Flatt & Scruggs, original Cajun artists, all have prominent spots on the Top Grande. I could spend a couple of years strictly dedicated to discovering and learning more of Taj Mahal's discography, and I probably should. Tried but I haven't been able yet to appreciate Zappa. I recognize his musical talent and pay the man his due respect, but I haven't yet warmed to his music. I went to one of his concerts here in Houston back in the late 70s and we walked out after 4 songs. (Sorry!) Dr. John was extremely talented but again, I'm not intimately familiar with his catalog. I remember his 70s single "Right Place, Wrong Time." I guess I need to dedicated an additional year to his music. I know I'll enjoy it. Phillips sounds like an interesting character, in a similar vein as W Guthrie politically.

I tried hard to steer GSH's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" into my Top 1000, but it just couldn't be squeezed in. It is spoken word so it's hard to even call it a song though it does obviously have musical and percussion elements. But I love it greatly, and it was so appropriate that it was inducted into the National Recording Registry in 2005. I'm not familiar with his other music, so he'll have to get in line. I'm on a classical music renaissance binge right now.
ZZ Top is cool, ABBA I'll pass (from the few I've heard). I'm A Zappa fan, I like his POV & "Trouble Coming Everyday" is up there with the Best Dylan & Woody statement songs. IMO.
I grew up on Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash , Everlys etc. I didn't care for the early Beatles as I thought their covers of American R&R sucked, as I grew smarter, I realized they gave a big boost to the innovators with their homage (sp?).
Bob Dylan's 1st album got me searching out the folks he covered, & Woody Guthrie who he dedicated Song to Woody. I became a big fan of early folk, country & especially Blues. What is now Americana, The Band, CCR, Little Feat etc.
I tried to keep up with Rock & Roll through maybe the 70 up to disco era. I'm not to up on it now. Utah was like a Joe Hill character.
Taj is a Homeboy & my Brother went to Jr. High with him. He played around clubs frequently before the hitting the Big time. I don't have a hard top 1000 or anything but I like a lot of stuff that I don't list here. I respect all people who will get up on a stage & perform, whether or not I care for their thing.
Calling it Rock & Roll kinda shows I'm old.

I do Coe's "Walking Bum".

I’ve seen David Alan Coe live a few times and he drinks and talks much more than he sings songs. I’ve seen his daughter (Shelli) and her band perform a few times (she lives in Austin, TX) and enjoyed hearing her more.

Back
Top Bottom