• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you have a God given right to refuse Vaccine mandates?

Crakhobarbie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The Supreme Court made it quite clear in Jacobson v Massachusetts over a hundred years ago that states can indeed mandate vaccination for the public good.

Yesterday, they affirmed that decision in Klassen v Indiana University with regard to institutional vaccine mandates.

I.e., they concluded that you do *not* have a God-given right to refuse vaccination mandates.

Don't care what no court says, God gave me the right to own guns, to be stupid, and take no vaccines.
I know - because it says that right there in that there Bible.

The Supreme Court made it quite clear in Jacobson v Massachusetts over a hundred years ago that states can indeed mandate vaccination for the public good.

Yesterday, they affirmed that decision in Klassen v Indiana University with regard to institutional vaccine mandates.

I.e., they concluded that you do *not* have a God-given right to refuse vaccination mandates.
Over a hundred years ago in 1857 the SCOTUS brought down the Dred Scott v Sanford decision. So clearly the court screws up from time to time.

Over a hundred years ago in 1857 the SCOTUS brought down the Dred Scott v Sanford decision. So clearly the court screws up from time to time.
Just to attend kindergarten, most public schools require vaccinations for Polio. Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP) Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Hepatitis B. Adding covid to the mix doesn't seem off base considering.

Dred Scot was overruled by the 14th amendment. That decision by the SCOTUS is among the top 5 worst decisions, mostly because of Justice Roger Taney.

I seem to recall it's written in the bible somewhere "If a someone bids you have one vaccine shot, get a second one also." Matthew 5 something, I believe.

God wrote the constitution?

There was a time when people...most people...didnt know that blacks and women were as intelligent as males. There was institutional belief in racial and male supremacy. These things were later disproven...and educated people, including judges...were able to fix past ignorance.

Should the Const and our laws not change to reflect reality?

Sure, but that's not evidence that this particular decision was wrong.

At the end of the day, the government can and will take reasonable efforts to ensure you don't increase the risk to someone else. That old saying about your right to swing your fist ends at my nose, and whatnot.

Well of course...you also have the God-given right to suffer the consequences...

Of not taking it...duh...

Sure, but the tricky part is that the rest of us tend to end up paying the price also. A virus is inherently a collective problem with collective consequences.

Don't care what no court says, God gave me the right to own guns, to be stupid, and take no vaccines.
I know - because it says that right there in that there Bible.

As long as you get the edition bible that fits your views you are good to go.

Sure, but the tricky part is that the rest of us tend to end up paying the price also. A virus is inherently a collective problem with collective consequences.
That's this thing called life...

Back
Top Bottom