• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Atheists Ever Experience Spiritual Discoveries & Revelations ?

As a child, you made a mistake is all. No big.

Most science classes and most basic human reasoning, leads people to understand that you can't see everything that's physical. Physics deals with all sorts of things you don't see with the naked eye looking into a mirror. Biology too. The study of the mind in psychology, etc. The study of history. The economy. Etc. Maybe you missed out on the fundamentals, but there is no rush, you an always pick them up now that you're aware.

As to spiritual stuff, generally not at all, it's not real. I have had fantastic experiences about things not real, and can see how some might term them "spiritual", but I know better.
For me this revelation of the spiritual that first arrested my attention as a child has only been reinforced with the age of my listening soul.
Many spiritual discoveries you have apparently missed out on, but not to worry it is never to late to overcome this spiritual handicapping of yours and experience the greatest power that a human has available to them in this world , which is spiritual, and with which literal miracles such as of the joy of forgiveness ,and power of love are performed .
Awaking from your spiritual idleness, and a challenging spiritual future is just around the corner for you my friend ,

" I will turn aside, and see this great sight ," ( Exodus 3:3 )

I ask this question from the perspective of one who held no firm belief in God or an afterlife at the time .
I can distinctly remember as a small child looking into a mirror & looking at the way my body moved based upon thoughts prompting it , and coming to a very real discovery that there was a part of me that was completely apart from the physical.
It was quite a startling revelation for me as a child I remember.
To the point that I can remember my mother becoming very alarmed over a one or two day period where I would do nothing but spend time gazing into a mirror .
Realizing for the first time that the physical part of me was listening and was being completely undergirded by a non-physical part of me ,
Not only that , but realizing that this non-physical part , was a part that nobody else could ever see, touch ,or know .
The non-physical was the real me.
As opposed to the assembly of cells that I could see in the mirror .
My Spirit.
Do atheists allow themselves to have any spiritual side to them at all, or is this strictly forbidden territory to them that they make a conscious choice to avoid .
Or does it all depend on the individual ?
I have only ever heard Atheists focused exclusively on the disbelief in God, but never any other spiritual matter .
Just Curious .

Some atheists have had spiritual experience(s), and have become believers because of it.
Some, even to the point of becoming prominent vocal defenders of the faith.

I've found this list and will read them for myself. Sharing it:

Here's an interesting testimony.

Last edited:
I ask this question from the perspective of one who held no firm belief in God or an afterlife at the time .
I can distinctly remember as a small child looking into a mirror & looking at the way my body moved based upon thoughts prompting it , and coming to a very real discovery that there was a part of me that was completely apart from the physical.
It was quite a startling revelation for me as a child I remember.
To the point that I can remember my mother becoming very alarmed over a one or two day period where I would do nothing but spend time gazing into a mirror .
Realizing for the first time that the physical part of me was listening and was being completely undergirded by a non-physical part of me ,
Not only that , but realizing that this non-physical part , was a part that nobody else could ever see, touch ,or know .
The non-physical was the real me.
As opposed to the assembly of cells that I could see in the mirror .
My Spirit.
Do atheists allow themselves to have any spiritual side to them at all, or is this strictly forbidden territory to them that they make a conscious choice to avoid .
Or does it all depend on the individual ?
I have only ever heard Atheists focused exclusively on the disbelief in God, but never any other spiritual matter .
Just Curious .
So do you still hold that childish image of a spirit?

AVvXsEhFaUgmz-1eLWrRUTeTHRA3ijAOMrqNl85Yrhefw4bBdCZbQ2Zmo7IpTfngPPMxw3JM2xUAz85q33PMyLRMkEjO8Ret4ylLr-LIHh8w_-ty56XCTNSyiI0dMz9UT6WEg8120hnWAIVwdihsDRSXsN4awBtTaPfejhunstwgSnjisepprNE30A

So do you still hold that childish image of a spirit?
The proper context of the spirit living apart & beyond the prison walls of the material world and the physical decaying body that was once a child's has done nothing but grow.
I pray that you have the same experience my friend.

"For me this revelation of the spiritual that first arrested my attention as a child has only been reinforced with the age of my listening soul."

"Be of good cheer I have overcome the world. " ( John 16:33 )

The proper context of the spirit living apart & beyond the prison walls of the material world and the physical decaying body that was once a child's has done nothing but grow.
I pray that you have the same experience my friend.

"For me this revelation of the spiritual that first arrested my attention as a child has only been reinforced with the age of my listening soul."

"Be of good cheer I have overcome the world. " ( John 16:33 )
Why should I have such a silly experience as an adult?
When I was a kid I had all kinds of silly ideas. As an adult, I have come to learn just how silly those ideas were. It's what happens to most people; they grow out of the silliness of childhood fantasies.

But I digress; it is your choice to believe in silly things like souls and spiritual crap. I just wish that theists would share the same respect and not try to force their crap on everyone. For example, there was no need to quote some crappy bible to me. Your only purpose is to perpetuate the BS that the bible teaches.

Why should I have such a silly experience as an adult?
When I was a kid I had all kinds of silly ideas. As an adult, I have come to learn just how silly those ideas were. It's what happens to most people; they grow out of the silliness of childhood fantasies.

But I digress; it is your choice to believe in silly things like souls and spiritual crap. I just wish that theists would share the same respect and not try to force their crap on everyone. For example, there was no need to quote some crappy bible to me. Your only purpose is to perpetuate the BS that the bible teaches.
You sound very bitter and incomplete in the way you write off all the unjaundiced and polluted thoughts of children as being "silly ideas ".
This may be in part to some of your own childhood experiences
A proper spiritual foundation could do much to warm and enrich your personality towards children.
I will take the spiritual poise, warmth and enthusiasm of the heart of a child abounding in love, over a bitter,cold &crusty unstable heart lacking judgment any day .
I will pray for your completeness someday in this way
Kind regards .

Do you believe Hindus can have spiritual revelations?
Of the Hindu variety?

How about Taoists?
Buddhists?
Shintoists?

What about Wiccans? Can a Wiccan have a spiritual revelation that’s based completely in Wiccan beliefs?

Do you believe Hindus can have spiritual revelations?
Of the Hindu variety?

How about Taoists?
Buddhists?
Shintoists?

What about Wiccans? Can a Wiccan have a spiritual revelation that’s based completely in Wiccan beliefs?
I believe that deep down everyone has had a revelation / conviction that they are indeed a spirit.
A spirit that is currently housed in a rapidly decaying abode of flesh.
Making the defeated denials by them in that regard, and their impotent hearts clinging desperately to the appalling bondage of the flesh with no hope beyond the grave that much sadder to see.
The radiant significance of life eternal being so close and yet so far away from them.

" There is therefore no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
who walk not after the flesh , but after the SPIRIT " ( Romans 8:1 )

You sound very bitter and incomplete in the way you write off all the unjaundiced and polluted thoughts of children as being "silly ideas ".
This may be in part to some of your own childhood experiences
A proper spiritual foundation could do much to warm and enrich your personality towards children.
I will take the spiritual poise, warmth and enthusiasm of the heart of a child abounding in love, over a bitter,cold &crusty unstable heart lacking judgment any day .
Kind regards .

You are making grand conclusions based, really on no data about who you think I am. The thing is though that you are just repeating the line used by many theists. It did nothing but make you feel better than me. While you tried to act as if you were just a kind soul, your message is very offensive. It did not convince me that "spiritual poise" is something that is desirable.

You parroted the most offensive attack on non-believers that you could wield: "over a bitter,cold &crusty unstable heart lacking judgment any day" I not any of that, but you have been taught that from other theists. The position that non-believers are not kind or loving people is incredibly arrogant and really divisive. In fact, your position is actually not kind at all.

You are not being kind in our conversation at all. Nor are you being kind to anyone else in this thread. You are the one that is actually attacking my character in hopes that it will make you feel better about yourself. You are being petty, selfish, and frankly childish. Not to mention you are even breaking your own god's commandment of not judging (though the bible is hypocritical on that front, so you are probably confused).

Bottom line is that I do not believe your arguments about your god, that does not make me a bad person (like you just asserted). But your assertion does make you a bad person. Again when you attack someone you will never convince them that your argument is valid. And when you try to force your beliefs onto other people you become a monster. Me addressing the absurdness of a childhood revelation was a way for me to get you to show your true self to me. I knew without a doubt that you would then attack my character in the way that you did since the majority of Christain share the same sentiment. After all, that's what the bible teaches you to do.

So save the kind regards for when you are actually wanting to be kind to people.

I believe that deep down everyone has had a revelation / conviction that they are indeed a spirit.
Making the defeated denials by them in that regard, and their impotent hearts clinging desperately to the appalling bondage of the flesh with no hope beyond the grave that much sadder to see.
The radiant significance of life eternal being so close and yet so far away from them.

The thing is though that your beliefs are irrelevant. But your actions speak larger than your words.

Bottom line is that I do not believe your arguments about your god, that does not make me a bad person (like you just asserted).
I have made no argument to convince anyone concerning the God unto whom I have entrusted my eternal Spirit .
And you cannot point to me doing so.
Where are you conjuring that up from ?
And why?
The thread's subject is the revelation of Spirit within each individual.
It was never made mandatory for the purpose of the thread that people should identify with a particular god concerning the entrusting of their spirit .
That is totally up to the individual.
And if they do choose to do so, everyone is allowed to identify with any god they choose , Hindu god, Shintoists god, Buddists god, etc,etc,etc,,,..
Quite telling again of yourself that the mere fact that I identify with a particular God causes you a considerable amount of angst & consternation .
I suspect again that such unwarranted frustration on your part has much to do with your own personal past.
As I stated before such publicly released negative energy and unhappiness on your part over something that literally has nothing to do with you speaks of a disheartened spirit in a state of considerable dismay.
Your spirit is showing .
A proper spiritual foundation could prove quite constructive in release from such frustration , bringing harmony within .
Kind Regards.
" We love Him, because He first loved us." ( 1 John 4:19 )

Why do you deflect from answering my questions? What are you avoiding?

Believe whatever you want. Most likely it isn’t true, but it’s surely unprovable either way.

Actually something about it is provable isn’t it? All you need is one person to deny having had such a revelation.

Pretty sure it’s not hard to find at least one.

I don’t believe I’m a spirit.
Wait, what?
Well would you look at that.

I have made no argument to convince anyone concerning the God unto whom I have entrusted my eternal Spirit .
And you cannot point to me doing so.
Where are you conjuring that up from ?
And why?
The thread's subject is the revelation of Spirit within each individual.
It was never made mandatory for the purpose of the thread that people should identify with a particular god concerning the entrusting of their spirit .
That is totally up to the individual.
And if they do choose to do so, everyone is allowed to identify with any god they choose , Hindu god, Shintoists god, Buddists god, etc,etc,etc,,,..
Quite telling again of yourself that the mere fact that I identify with a particular God causes you a considerable amount of angst & consternation .
I suspect again that such unwarranted frustration on your part has much to do with your own personal past.
As I stated before such publicly released negative energy and unhappiness on your part over something that literally has nothing to do with you speaks of a disheartened spirit in a state of considerable dismay.
Your spirit is showing .
A proper spiritual foundation could prove quite constructive in release from such frustration , bringing harmony within .
Kind Regards.
" We love Him, because He first loved us." ( 1 John 4:19 )
You have asserted that we should all accept that we have souls. And you are quoting the bible in every post.

You know dishonesty is not a good image.

ANd you really cannot stop attacking me personally wtf is up with that? That was rhetorical since I already know that your bible teaches that you should treat non-believers like dirt. Then from the other side of its text, it goes on how good Christians should not judge others. So it appears that you are picking choosing which you want to believe.

Make no mistake telling me things like "A proper spiritual foundation could prove quite constructive in release from such frustration , bringing harmony within ." are a personal attack. That quote (among your other comments about myself) Are not only rude but telling of what the bible teaches its adherents.

Again saying "Kind Regards" after a very personal attack on the poster is very rude and manipulative. Like your attempted lie accusing me of you " identify with a particular God causes you a considerable amount of angst & consternation ." I mean seriously that's crap, I never said anything near that.

The only way that you could come up with this crap and assign it to me is if you are merely parroting what other Christians say.

I simply have not given you enough information for you to judge me like that. So could you stop with the personal attacks?

Why do you deflect from answering my questions? What are you avoiding?
" Everyone" means everybody has had " spiritual revelations " in my opinion/belief
That is what you asked :

" Do you believe Hindus can have spiritual revelations? " ( Dragonfly )

To your question that would include " Taoists, Buddhists, Shintoists, Hindus and everyone .
Thats what I believe .
Not sure what more you are looking for other than what you asked ?
Kind Regards .

You have asserted that we should all accept that we have souls.
How does the title of this thread , which is a question by the way, imply that something / anything should be " accepted " by anyone ?
To that point the thread's question has already revealed that some atheists do in fact believe in the soul/spirit .
Are these atheists that believe in a soul/spirit also part of this cabal you place me in that thinks " we should all accept that we have souls " ?

"Do Atheists Ever Experience Spiritual Discoveries & Revelations ?"​

And you are quoting the bible in every post.
Why does my making my personal beliefs known cause you such anxious frustration ?
As for me I encourage all people to make their beliefs known here, Taoists, Buddhists, Scientologists, Hindus..
Common sense should tell you that such declarations of personal belief should be welcomed if not expected in a forum entitled " Beliefs & Skepticism "

" Psa 35:9
"And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation"

" Everyone" means everybody has had " spiritual revelations " in my opinion/belief
That is what you asked :

" Do you believe Hindus can have spiritual revelations? " ( Dragonfly )

To your question that would include " Taoists, Buddhists, Shintoists, Hindus and everyone .
Thats what I believe .
Not sure what more you are looking for other than what you asked ?
Kind Regards .
You seem to be placing a “spiritual event” squarely in the lap of Christianity.

Why is that?

American Indians were/are very spiritual wouldn’t you say?

Why does it appear you’re doing this:

spiritual event = Christian epiphany

Why does my making my personal beliefs known cause you such anxious frustration ?
As for me I encourage all people to make their beliefs known here, Taoists, Buddhists, Scientologists, Hindus..
Common sense should tell you that such declarations of personal belief should be welcomed if not expected in a forum entitled " Beliefs & Skepticism "

Quit the BS talk and lying. Go ahead quote me saying what you are asserting that I said. I did question that observations made as a child (by you) are a valid argument. All kids come to silly conclusions as kids. That gave you a chance to explain yourself. But you couldn't have me questioning the rationale of your argument. So you went with the common tactic of calling me names and making up lies about me. But you see the subject isn't about me at all.

Why did you say that I was all those things? Or are you trying to pretend that you did not say those things to me? You accused me of some pretty awful things should I have just let you get away with it?

It does not at all. Why are you making personal attacks still? Is that all that you have?

A little more preaching the bible, FFS do not have any dignity?

You are encouraging people to believe your childhood story. Of course, you want everyone to tell you their beliefs so that you can attack them with personal attacks and make up shit about them to their face.

You seem to be placing a “spiritual event” squarely in the lap of Christianity.
Negative,
My personal belief is that every human being is a spiritual creature .
You can write that down.
My original question delt with the fact that I don't recall ever hearing atheists speak about having a spirit .
And now I have learned that many atheists do believe in a spirit , and many atheists do not believe in one.
Very interesting news to me .

Quit the BS talk and lying. Go ahead quote me saying what you are asserting that I said.
" And you are quoting the bible in every post." ( freedomfromall)

It does not at all. Why are you making personal attacks still? Is that all that you have?

A little more preaching the bible, FFS do not have any dignity?

You are encouraging people to believe your childhood story. Of course, you want everyone to tell you their beliefs so that you can attack them with personal attacks and make up shit about them to their face.
Lighten up a little snapperhead .
No rules violations going on here .
How do you know people are not being discouraged by my childhood story ?

Back
Top Bottom