• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

DNI will no longer brief Congress in person on election security over leak concerns

These aren’t children being refused dessert and the intelligence gathered isn’t the property of the administration. It belongs to the people.

Neither DNI Radcliffe nor Trump have any legal authority to withhold info, and without oral examination, there is no means to know if our government is lying to us about intelligence generated with *our* blood and treasure.

If you guys don’t even believe in a *republic* anymore, you should probably just say that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You still don't seem to understand what "classified" means.

Moving on...

Well, if the DNI sends a letter saying "Nuttin goin on anywhere. Happy Labor Dayz!”, then Congress can pass that on to the public. If you have questions about that, send them in to your Congressmen and they can pass them on to the DNI. I'm sure the DNI will give them the answers you are looking for.

But your example is hyperbole that doesn't reflect reality. The DNI isn't going to send that kind of letter. He'll send a report that will be complete, though without classified information. If the Congressmen want more...and if they have the proper clearance...they can ask for more. But you...who doesn't have the proper clearance...won't get that classified information.

Sorry about that.

Hyperbole is insisting that removing a briefing is keeping the briefing the same as before.

I don’t need to, I vote for people I trust to review, and ask questions. That’s how our government works.

And I ain’t sorry about any of it.

You still don't seem to understand what "classified" means.

Moving on...

I wasn’t arguing about classification.

If you can’t hang with the convo, then sure, you may go.

I wasn’t arguing about classification.

If you can’t hang with the convo, then sure, you may go.

But thats the topic. The classified intel the DNI has been presenting to congress. It does belong to the people. And the people decided that some of the intel should only be seen by some of their representatives.

It's not so much the meaning of the term "classified," as it is who does the classifying.

No. Who does the classifying doesn't matter. You don't get to know it until it IS declassified.

No. Who does the classifying doesn't matter. You don't get to know it until it IS declassified.

So, anyone can keep whatever they want a secret? Is that how government is supposed to be?

That's how it is...whether you like it or not.

Personally, I'd rather live in a democracy in which people are informed, but that's just me.
Of course, we have to keep certain secrets, mostly about military actions and weapons, but not just anything should be a secret.

Personally, I'd rather live in a democracy in which people are informed, but that's just me.
Of course, we have to keep certain secrets, mostly about military actions and weapons, but not just anything should be a secret.

And we have to keep secrets about intelligence matters.

But hey...you have the right to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

and you have a right to yours, even under the same conditions.

Well you dont. You live in a Republic where we choose representatives to be informed. You dont have to like it, though.

Well you dont. You live in a Republic where we choose representatives to be informed. You dont have to like it, though.

Right, right, and as long as the electorate remains ignorant, we'll continue to elect the same representatives over and over.

Right, right, and as long as the electorate remains ignorant, we'll continue to elect the same representatives over and over.

Classified info is the least of that problem. They dont even know whats in actual public documents like the constitution. Maybe start there instead of national security secrets.

Classified info is the least of that problem. They dont even know whats in actual public documents like the constitution. Maybe start there instead of national security secrets.

Now, there's a point of agreement.

Not that all of the classified documents are really "national security threats."

Now, there's a point of agreement.

Not that all of the classified documents are really "national security threats."

Well, thats up to our reps to decide. Thats why we elect them. As you pointed out, regular people are too ignorant to do it.

Well, thats up to our reps to decide. Thats why we elect them. As you pointed out, regular people are too ignorant to do it.

You just have a higher opinion of our elected representatives than I have.

You just have a higher opinion of our elected representatives than I have.

No, just an even lower opinion of the average person. If youre saying YOU want to see this information and YOU wont leak it, then I would probably trust YOU. I dont trust the public. And I dont trust congress either. But secrets are easier kept the less people know.

Trump doesn’t keep secrets about intelligence matters. He briefs Putin directly.

No, just an even lower opinion of the average person. If youre saying YOU want to see this information and YOU wont leak it, then I would probably trust YOU. I dont trust the public. And I dont trust congress either. But secrets are easier kept the less people know.

Absolutely! If it's something that should be kept secret, like a cool new nuclear weapon's program, then the fewer people that know, the better. If it's a political scandal, then that should be known. The real issue is, what should be kept secret, and what shouldn't?

Absolutely! If it's something that should be kept secret, like a cool new nuclear weapon's program, then the fewer people that know, the better. If it's a political scandal, then that should be known. The real issue is, what should be kept secret, and what shouldn't?

Run for office and you can decide.

Back
Top Bottom