• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dinner Table Politics

tryreading said:
C'mon, we all like kooch, even some of the girls.

Most of the kooch i know isnt exactly presidential material...

Although, a couple....hmmmm

RightatNYU said:
Most of the kooch i know isnt exactly presidential material...

Although, a couple....hmmmm

Actually, I think he meant Crotch, who was a mayor at one time.

Hey, what's with the arts&sciences quote in your signature? Did you steal his last oatmeal cookie, or something?

tryreading said:
Actually, I think he meant Crotch, who was a mayor at one time.

Hey, what's with the arts&sciences quote in your signature? Did you steal his last oatmeal cookie, or something?

Ed Koch? Koch was a good mayor, and is a great person in real life, but he has no interest in running for president. Too old.

And I had the temerity to respectfully disagree with him about a couple things. It was his parting shot before he decided to abandon DP. Quite amusing actually, the whole thread reads like a joke.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=5711

RightatNYU said:
Ed Koch? Koch was a good mayor, and is a great person in real life, but he has no interest in running for president. Too old.

And I had the temerity to respectfully disagree with him about a couple things. It was his parting shot before he decided to abandon DP. Quite amusing actually, the whole thread reads like a joke.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?t=5711

Yeah, Red Crotch, that's the guy.

I wish I had known about the thread your link applies to before a&s left. Could have had some fun over there.

hipsterdufus said:
I just got back from a great Thanksgiving dinner with my family.

It was very interesting to me how the Republicans in my family -(mom,uncle,cousin and sister) all were united in saying that they wanted us out of Iraq as soon as possible. They also weren't so sure that they weren't deceived by the president into going to war in Iraq in the first place.

Very interesting.....

Is my anecdotal experience an anomaly?

What a coincidence. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving also. I had dinner with about 15 family members, all of them democrats. They are actually beginning to see that this president is honestly commited to securing the homeland, defeating terrorism and bringing peace to the middle east. It was very interesting. They were all united in this.

It sure is convenient that a post such as this can't be proven. All I have to do is say it happened and the political pot gets stirred.

:roll:

galenrox said:
yeah dude, I don't know why the hell there's this much talk about a Hillary run for the white house. It's not gonna work. Look at this thread, conservative, liberal, libertarian, none of us likes Hillary. I hang out with mostly liberals, and I might know 2 people max who support Hillary. If she got the nomination it would take one hell of a **** up on the republicans' behalf to lose. It's reasonably hard to think of a republican that would cause me to vote for Hillary.

Hey, RightatNYU....the "Girls in the Van" sounds like an interesting read...I'll have to check that out? Maybe Santa will bring it to me?

As far as Hillary, I really don't have any hatred or animosity toward her. In fact, I know she'd be a far better president then we have now, of course, that's not saying much. LOL

One word of caution...do not underestimate Hillary Clinton!

If some snot-nosed kid like Bush can gain the White House, then certainly Hillary can. The only republican I would vote for now over Hillary is John McCain....at least the ones I know something about. This current breed of republicans are not conservatives...that's the problem.

KCConservative said:
What a coincidence. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving also. I had dinner with about 15 family members, all of them democrats. They are actually beginning to see that this president is honestly commited to securing the homeland, defeating terrorism and bringing peace to the middle east. It was very interesting. They were all united in this.

It sure is convenient that a post such as this can't be proven. All I have to do is say it happened and the political pot gets stirred.

Ridiculous. Hipsterdufus's scenario is plausible, at least. Yours is silly. If you think fifteen Democrats, anywhere, whether they are in your family or not, believe the above about the president, you have never had dinner with a Democrat.

Also, securing the homeland is not happening. Are you familiar with the situation at our southern border? President Bush may be 'committed' to protecting the homeland, but his administration does not know how to do it.

tryreading said:
Ridiculous. Hipsterdufus's scenario is plausible, at least. Yours is silly. If you think fifteen Democrats, anywhere, whether they are in your family or not, believe the above about the president, you have never had dinner with a Democrat.

Thanks for proving my point. You see, to me, Hipster's scenerio is ridiculous and mine is plausible. See how those unprovable posts don't hold water? He only started the thread to tip the political scales on this forum. Other than boosting his partisan ego and post count, it means nothing.

galenrox said:
Except the fact that over the last 4 years 50% of this nation has changed from approving of the Bush administration to disapproving of this administration, the scenario where you're surrounded by people who once supported Bush but now are opposed to him is realistic, being surrounded by 15 democrats who are just now coming around to Bush is just flat out impossible.

Except that it really happened. Honest.
Gee, what do you know. Hipster can't prove it and neither can I.

:nahnah:

I agree with KC, not saying that the idea of 15 demmies supporting Bush is plausable, but the initial post in this thread posted by hipster can't really be backed up at all so it can't be assumed that it's true. This is by no means a shot at hipster's honesty but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

The Real McCoy said:
I agree with KC, not saying that the idea of 15 demmies supporting Bush is plausable, but the initial post in this thread posted by hipster can't really be backed up at all so it can't be assumed that it's true. This is by no means a shot at hipster's honesty but I think you can see what I'm getting at.
Logical. Thanks for seeing my point.

KCConservative said:
Logical. Thanks for seeing my point.

I don't think it really matters whether or not one believes the original post. The point is to start a discussion about shifting public opinion on the war, which I think people on both sides can agree has been shifting against the war.

RightatNYU said:
I don't think it really matters whether or not one believes the original post. The point is to start a discussion about shifting public opinion on the war, which I think people on both sides can agree has been shifting against the war.
Now that sounds like legitimate thread. But throwing out an unprovable family scenerio is reaching.

KCConservative said:

Why do you think it's so farfetched?

I'm not in the habit of taping family conversations:roll:, I was interested in starting a thread to see what happened over the dinner table as America got together to celebrate Thanksgiving. Col. Murtha is from my neck of the woods and a friend of my Republican Uncle, it sort of got the ball rolling on the topic. Of course it's anectdotal, but I shared my experience - plain, simple and true.

I don't think 15 Democrats would ever go to Kansas City, so you have to be lying. :mrgreen:

hipsterdufus said:
I don't think 15 Democrats would ever go to Kansas City, so you have to be lying. :mrgreen:
No need to resort to name calling. I don't believe your story and I fully expected you not to believe mine. I guess I also should have expected you to take it to the gutter, as usual.

By the way, I spent Thanksgiving in Boston. ;)

KCConservative said:
Now that sounds like legitimate thread. But throwing out an unprovable family scenerio is reaching.

Who cares if you believe it or not? There's no reason to doubt it, and besides, that's NOT the point. He didn't say "Oh look all my relatives don't support Bush now, that proves he sucks!!!" He said "I noticed a big swing in my family, has anyone else seen anything similar, and what do you think about it?"

His statement was meant to promote civil discussion, while yours seems determined to stifle it because you disagree.

FinnMacCool said:
I would vote for HIllary over Guiliani but McCain over HIllary. I would vote for Kooch and Boxer over all. And nader probably if he actually had a chance.

Right now I'm pulling for Mark Warner - Gov. of Virginia, Tom Vilsack - Gov. of Iowa, Bill Richardson - Gov. of New Mexico.

I don't think any Dem from the Norheast could get elected in 08.

All of these people could help to bring the country back together if elected.
That's my sincerest hope for 08. The rubber band is stretching and its either going to snap or come back.

Back
Top Bottom