• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Did you know?

AK_Conservative

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I got an email today and it said this:

Of course I didn't know. How could I?

Did you know that 47 countries have reestablished their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently?

OF COURSE WE DIDN'T KNOW!

WHY DIDN'T WE KNOW? OUR MEDIA WOULDN'T TELL US!

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at the presidential motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States thus minimizing consequent support, and it is intended to discourage American citizens.

Kind of a shot in the head for the liberal media.. dont ya say?

I wonder what country had more cars on fire today....

Iraq or France?...

cnredd said:
I wonder what country had more cars on fire today....

Iraq or France?...

Maybe with the "insurgency" happening in iraq and continuing onto Germany, France and Germany might wake up and play their roll on the fight against terror!

AK_Conservative said:

Did you know that the Iraqi government currently employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational?! They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a naval infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 Bell Jet Rangers?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently?

Instead of reflecting our love for our country, we get photos of flag burning incidents at Abu Ghraib and people throwing snowballs at the presidential motorcades.

The lack of accentuating the positive in Iraq serves two purposes. It is intended to undermine the world's perception of the United States thus minimizing consequent support, and it is intended to discourage American citizens.

Right on. Wow, we sure are making progress. AND GUESS WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THESE WONDERFUL THINGS?

AK_Conservative said:

Then what the hell are we still doing there??

So if we spend $100 billion a year on a country it makes things a little better? Wow that *is* impressive! Great use of our tax dollars! Let's spend a $100 billion on all countries and everywhere will be better!

Iriemon said:
Then what the hell are we still doing there??

So if we spend $100 billion a year on a country it makes things a little better? Wow that *is* impressive! Great use of our tax dollars! Let's spend a $100 billion on all countries and everywhere will be better!

A LITTLE BETTER? You think the information above provides only a small amount of progress? I believe you are wrong...

Also, money is a material object. Moral values, obligations, and liberation is something that sticks with you forever, long after you are dead. Money does not do that. If what we are providing the Iraqi people, and starting to establish a moral and justified government, i would be glad to give some money to them... Why dont you look outside your box and look at others in the world? I thought that was the whole part of liberal progression. Id rather have my tax dollars go to the iraqi liberation and foundations for a liberal democracy than have it go to Drug Lord Africans that starve there own people that care nothing other than themselves.

Come on. This e-mail has been all over the place. It's so annoying when one receives a list of unsourced statistics from a pro-Bush-Administration friend.

One of the guys in my car pool was whining about how the "liberal" press never reports about the good things that are going in Iraq. The problem is, the good things are few and far between, and they are very much outweighed by the bad.

It's also similar to FEMA bragging about how many tons of ice it has shipped, or the army bragging about Vietcong death counts during the Vietnam war. In the face of negative press, you rattle off a bunch of statistics saying, see look at all we're doing. Why aren't you reporting what we're doing?

The e-mail is using true or partially true statistics to give you a canard about our "progress" in Iraq. If we were making progress, we would be sending our soldiers home, but no, we're using "stop loss" measures because we aren't making any progress.

Knight Ridder article responding to it:
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/columnists/nancy_youssef/12665877.htm

Just cut and paste the text into Google, and you'll find any number of articles debunking this e-mail forward.

One highlight:
17 of the 47 countries who opened embassies have re-closed them due to the security situation. Oh yeah, and there were more than 47 embassies open in Iraq during the Saddam regime.

Last edited:
Why don't the republicans repeat these statistics? Are you saying Fox news is liberal? Bush could use these numbers instead of 9-11 in every speech. It sounds like the troops will be coming home soon. I applaud that. Too bad I don't buy that. Yes good things do happen. There was a shooting at a school in Tennessee today. Why didn't the media focus on all of the kids that learned safely today. Those left-wing wackos!

AK_Conservative said:
A LITTLE BETTER? You think the information above provides only a small amount of progress? I believe you are wrong...

Also, money is a material object. Moral values, obligations, and liberation is something that sticks with you forever, long after you are dead. Money does not do that. If what we are providing the Iraqi people, and starting to establish a moral and justified government, i would be glad to give some money to them... Why dont you look outside your box and look at others in the world? I thought that was the whole part of liberal progression. Id rather have my tax dollars go to the iraqi liberation and foundations for a liberal democracy than have it go to Drug Lord Africans that starve there own people that care nothing other than themselves.

LMFAO!! For being a just a "material object" that doesn't stick with you, you conservatives sure howl when anyone talks about unsticking it from you by raising taxes a bit to pay for all the stuff you want to expend! LOL! I'll remember this post next time we talk about raising taxes. "Money is just a material object. What are you complaining about." Good one.

Iriemon said:
LMFAO!! For being a just a "material object" that doesn't stick with you, you conservatives sure howl when anyone talks about unsticking it from you by raising taxes a bit to pay for all the stuff you want to expend! LOL! I'll remember this post next time we talk about raising taxes. "Money is just a material object. What are you complaining about." Good one.

well.. taxes go beyond that.. Look at what Russia just instituted.. a flat tax rate which is boosting their economy. I know russia's economy sux, but recently, it has been doing better with this flat tax rate system.

AK_Conservative said:
well.. taxes go beyond that.. Look at what Russia just instituted.. a flat tax rate which is boosting their economy. I know russia's economy sux, but recently, it has been doing better with this flat tax rate system.

And the neocons keep claiming that WE won the cold war. Looks like the Russians won the cold war, and we are the idiots.

Old and wise said:
And the neocons keep claiming that WE won the cold war. Looks like the Russians won the cold war, and we are the idiots.

Are you ignorant? What are you saying here?

Old and wise said:

Do you even know what a neocon is? or is it your word of choice to make the conservative ideology look bad? Cause in reality, neocon is classic liberalism.. is it not?

Old and wise said:
Right on. Wow, we sure are making progress. AND GUESS WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THESE WONDERFUL THINGS?

Well, we've been paying people in the US not to work since the sixties. That hasn't exactly improved anything.

So I don't have a problem with fixing Iraq. Can't turn out any worse than giving welfare to the people in New Orleans.

[QUOTEand we are the idiots.
][/QUOTE]

We......You got a mouse in your pocket? Speak for yourself.....

AK_Conservative said:
Do you even know what a neocon is? or is it your word of choice to make the conservative ideology look bad? Cause in reality, neocon is classic liberalism.. is it not?
Neocons evolved from liberal Democrats in the 1960's & 70's, but today's neocons agree more with conservatives than liberals. But not totally.

"Most people currently described as "neoconservatives" are members of the Republican Party, but while neoconservatives have generally been in electoral alignment with other conservatives, have served in the same Presidential Administrations, and have often ignored intra-conservative ideological differences in alliance against those to their left, there are notable differences between neoconservative and traditional or "paleoconservative" views. In particular, neoconservatives disagree with the nativist, protectionist, and isolationist strain of American conservatism once exemplified by the ex-Republican "paleoconservative" Pat Buchanan, and the traditional "pragmatic" approach to foreign policy often associated with Richard Nixon, which emphasized pragmatic accommodation with dictators; peace through negotiations, diplomacy, and arms control; détente and containment — rather than rollback — of the Soviet Union; and the initiation of the process that led to ties between the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism_in_the_United_States

AK conservative, nice post. I find it disturbing that more Iraqis support our cause over there than Americans.

What bothers me and the guys I know that were in Iraq is the way the media reports the news in that it emphasizes the negative things going on and never publishes the positive things happening............

Navy Pride said:
What bothers me and the guys I know that were in Iraq is the way the media reports the news in that it emphasizes the negative things going on and never publishes the positive things happening............

EXACTLY. My brother just left for his second stint in Iraq. Most people who've actually been to Iraq will tell you to ignore what the media would lead you to believe (besides the minority who send letters to Michael Moore's website, as if the military weren't a voluntary service and they didn't know there was a risk of combat involved when joining.) The media is a powerful tool in shaping people's thoughts, consciously or subconsciously and everything seen in the news should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Real McCoy said:
EXACTLY. My brother just left for his second stint in Iraq. Most people who've actually been to Iraq will tell you to ignore what the media would lead you to believe (besides the minority who send letters to Michael Moore's website, as if the military weren't a voluntary service and they didn't know there was a risk of combat involved when joining.) The media is a powerful tool in shaping people's thoughts, consciously or subconsciously and everything seen in the news should be taken with a grain of salt.

The problem is some people take the nedia as gospel.....Another problem is the far left loves the way the media reports the war....They love the negative, and 90% of them are liberal............

Back
Top Bottom