• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Republicans Miss a Golden Opportunity?

I don't know. You have to look that up yourself. How much? Is it as expensive as all the Benghazi investigations? Of course, Benghazi, while terrible, didn't involve American traitors and Republican lawmakers wearing body armor and Presidents and their sons and their lawyers calling on morons to storm the Capitol and stop a Constitutional process from happening.
As Nigel Tufnel of the legendary band Spinal Tap once asked: "Well that's just nitpicking, isn't it?"

I don't know. You have to look that up yourself. How much? Is it as expensive as all the Benghazi investigations? Of course, Benghazi, while terrible, didn't involve American traitors and Republican lawmakers wearing body armor and Presidents and their sons and their lawyers calling on morons to storm the Capitol and stop a Constitutional process from happening.
Before we go down some deflection rabbit hole Benghazi jazz (that I would have not agreed with either) , we both agree that you are paying for this investigation, correct? So you have no problem wagering, not only your own, but my money as well. In the hopes, praying, that you find some tidbit of some lawmakers hand or some person in power that you can blame?

To what end?

Before we go down some deflection rabbit hole Benghazi jazz (that I would have not agreed with either) , we both agree that you are paying for this investigation, correct? So you have no problem wagering, not only your own, but my money as well. In the hopes, praying, that you find some tidbit of some lawmakers hand or some person in power that you can blame?

To what end?

How much am I paying?

Okay, that's fine.
Trump did an important job of waking up the Republican party (see comment #34). The only ones who are concerned about Trump's current support are Dems. Meanwhile, Trump has a ton of support and, because of that, he has a lot of influence. Lots of voters like the strength and straightforward (non-swamp) approach Trump brought, and still brings, to traditional conservative beliefs. Lots of us still love that about Trump. So, I expect he'll have a lot of support for quite a while. But, conservatives don't care about or worry about if his support is holding, lessening, or growing. Who cares? It appears, only Dems (and Trump, lol).
Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the current Trump role. I like it. I like to learn of his endorsements and I notice those recently Trump endorsed candidates jump by large amounts in the betting markets, as Trump announces additional endorsements. Thus, I'm clearly not alone in noticing and paying attention to whom Trump endorses. By the time the 2022 election happens, I expect that will be MANY endorsements - and great, IMO!
What the Dems miss is that Republicans aren't hung up on Trump running or not in 24. I think his current role is great.
The other thing the Dems miss, IMO, is viewing Trump as an extremist. Trump, the personality, creates tremendous notice, love and upset. But, Trump the policy, is just good old fashioned, pro-America, conservative ideas. The "extremist" wing resides in the AOC branch of the Dem party.
Will Trump put money behind the QAnon MTG?

Tax payer funded investigation yes? Maybe I shouldn't have assumed you pay taxes ?

You upset we are all still paying for Trump’s grown children to still have Secret Service? That is a scam.

Is that something that all past presidents get?
You mean is the cost of protecting family members of past presidents an expected part of the expense of running the country much like paying for congressional investigations is an expected part of the expense of running the country? Yea, probably so.

Is that something that all past presidents get?

Nope, none of the adult children get Secret Service protection let alone additional 6 months. Ask yourself how man Secret Service employees spent govt monies at and on Trump properties over the last 6 years?

Dude is a straight up grifter.

Nope, none of the adult children get Secret Service protection let alone additional 6 months. Ask yourself how man Secret Service employees spent govt monies at and on Trump properties over the last 6 years?

Dude is a straight up grifter.
Then why would the government willingly support that if it isn't a thing they all get?

You mean is the cost of protecting family members of past presidents an expected part of the expense of running the country much like paying for congressional investigations is an expected part of the expense of running the country? Yea, probably so.
Paying for presidents safety as a part and parcel of running the country is not at all synonymous with congressional investigations for political posturing.

Paying for presidents safety as a part and parcel of running the country is not at all synonymous with congressional investigations for political posturing.
Let us know when you get to be the universal arbiter of what congressional investigations are worthwhile and which are for political posturing.
Stated alternatively, when was the last congressional investigation that someone, somewhere did not claim to be politically motivated? Is it your contention that 1/6 is not worthy of congressional investigation? An attack by American citizens on Congress itself? Or is it that because the dems are in the majority and running the investigation, that it can ONLY be for political posturing purposes?

Unfortunately for republicans, their party is inexorably tied to Donald Trump. But that unhealthy alliance is doing nothing but bringing the party down. Trump will not help any republican win a seat not going to be won by a republican anyway, he will just help ensure the republican who does win is loyal to him. So a win for Trump; nothing for the party.

But here we have the January 6 investigation(s). An event that shocked many/most Americans. Obviously, the event involved a very small percentage of republicans and most, I would like to believe, would never do something so stupid. If anything, the events are a reflection on Trump since he staged an event that day, encouraged his most devoted followers to come to the Capitol, and had spent months fanning their passions with his unhinged rhetoric.

Wasn't this the perfect time for the Republican party to step back and let things play out? If it winds up Trump comes out of this so damaged that they can finally break free of him, wouldn't that have been a win? They don't have to oppose him or go against him and come under his wrath. Just get out of the way.

But instead, they've doubled down in an effort to shield him and to a lesser degree the republican party. And in so doing will wind up alienating even more Americans and further committing themselves to the sinking ship that is Donald Trump.

Opportunity lost? I think it was.

I think it's actually worse than that.

It's hard to believe that some Republicans can't bring themselves to repudiate the Jan 6 monstrosity. It's politically stupid, and morally despicable.

Let us know when you get to be the universal arbiter of what congressional investigations are worthwhile and which are for political posturing.
Stated alternatively, when was the last congressional investigation that someone, somewhere did not claim to be politically motivated? Is it your contention that 1/6 is not worthy of congressional investigation? An attack by American citizens on Congress itself? Or is it that because the dems are in the majority and running the investigation, that it can ONLY be for political posturing purposes?
Any investigation that doesn't find anything on the first, second or third bites of the apple is political posturing.

And to further the response, (most) congressional hearings ARE politically motivated.

Any investigation that doesn't find anything on the first, second or third bites of the apple is political posturing.

And to further the response, (most) congressional hearings ARE politically motivated.
"Politically motivated" and "political posturing" are not the same things. They are not even in the same family of things.

As for "bites of the apple" depends on who is biting and with what intentions. DOJ can just prosecute. Federal Prosecution is not about fact finding. Its not even about truth or Justice. Federal Prosecution is about making cases. That is where it starts and that is where it ends.

I was not aware of a prior first, second or third investigation by congress. When did those hearings occur and why was I not notified?

Back
Top Bottom