• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did Republicans Miss a Golden Opportunity?

My lord you make zero sense again and again.
I think he means the educated are the elitists. Makes sense since Trumpers missed
that boat.
you see it as the GOP giving in to Trump and his side

I see it as not giving in to the democrats

it is almost like the 2016 election all over again

two shit choices...neither worth a damn

Jan 6th happened....most people with a brain understand that

what people disagree with, is exactly what happened, and IF Trump or anyone in the GOP was involved

The circus happening in the house is for political power...nothing more

This is about the 2022 elections and Nancy trying to sway voters away from the historical losses likely to occur

I dont blame her, but i cant condone it....and with the FBI unable to link any GOP to any of the assailants so far even offering deals, i wonder if there is anything remotely tying anyone in power to the idiots who attacked the capitol

just my two cents....
I wouldn’t be too sure there is no connection of some members of Congress meeting or knowing more than has been revealed about the Jan 6 insurrection.
Marjorie Taylor-Greene tweeted this to Pelosi but the pipe bombs weren’t even found until Jan 6. Seems MTG knew they were there on the 5th.
482B5A33-640E-4A3B-98FF-D36680618B45.jpeg

Somewhat at a loss how you wonder if there is anything "remotely" tying anyone in power to 1/6. That is beyond question. None of them would have been there if but for Trump's clown show scheduled for the same day and his repeated selling of the lie about a stolen election and that his followers needed to stop the steal. That he and his cronies got them all fired up in the preceding months that led to the attack is again, beyond question.

If instead the question becomes did any of them directly cause the attack, as in plan it, orchestrate it, ask for it, etc. That is a whole different matter and I don't expect there to be any evidence that someone at a higher level coordinated the attack on the capitol. But that doesn't mean the events of 1/6 are unworthy of a congressional investigation. In fact, if an attack by Americans on congress itself is not worthy of their investigative powers, what is?
It has been explained and you simply do not want to understand.

The current investigation is nothing more than political theater, designed to keep those in power, in power by denigrating the other political party. The centrists not tied to a political party see it for what it is.

They have investigated this thing, they are trying those who were there breaking laws. What exactly is the purpose of this particular congressional investigation if not to determine whether political actors were behind it?

You want to lay blame as you have been doing on Trump, but worse, you want to tie it to an entire political party, why? To lay blame so that you can keep your political party in power.

Centrists (myself included) are dog ass tired of the political games designed only to keep the politicians laying blame in power.

I take it the Republicans you support are the Republican Elites and globalists who have ****ed over their rank and file for decades. I'm not surprised a Liberal would have that attitude.

Sorry, but the Republican rank and file WANT to be tied to Trump. The Elites have to figure out how to answer to their rank and file now...not figure out how to get rid of Trump. I think they'll find both of those things is very hard to do. Their rank and file doesn't trust them anymore.

Thinks the man who shits in a golden toilet isn't elite.

The rest of us point and laugh.

The current investigation is nothing more than political theater, designed to keep those in power, in power by denigrating the other political party. The centrists not tied to a political party see it for what it is.

They have investigated this thing, they are trying those who were there breaking laws. What exactly is the purpose of this particular congressional investigation if not to determine whether political actors were behind it?

You want to lay blame as you have been doing on Trump, but worse, you want to tie it to an entire political party, why? To lay blame so that you can keep your political party in power.

Centrists (myself included) are dog ass tired of the political games designed only to keep the politicians laying blame in power.

I'm a centrist and you don't speak for me.

I'm a loyal American who wants to make sure we never have a piece of shit President and his piece of shit Congressional ass lickers riling up the piece of shit traitors. Period. You don't like the investigation? Then ignore it. But you do not speak for "centrists". You speak for yourself.

Leaving the GOP with even fewer members. They are already down to 24% of the Electorate affiliated with the GOP, Indies at 44% and DEM's at 30%.
Yeah, yeah...you stumbled upon Gallup and you've been repeating this all over the DP website. Big deal.

Back in 2016...when Trump won the election...Reps had 27%, Inds 38% and Dems 31%. Do you remember what happened? I do.

The Gallup numbers mean nothing in this context because there's no indication that Trump is losing supporters...no matter what their stated party affiliation. All that 24% for Reps indicates is that Republicans are leaving the Party. It's more likely they are doing that because they are tired of their Party Elites ****ing them over.

At some point Trump will have 100% support within the GOP. Unfortunately the GOP will be 3 radical Insurrectionists, 2 Q Anon devotees and a ham sandwich. Good luck with that.
Snark and hyperbole dismissed.

17 Republican Senators just jumped ship on Donnie on the Infrastructure Bill Debate Vote. Actually it would have been 18 if Sen Rounds had been in DC. THAT in the face of threats from Donnie. I am thinking Donnie threw his rattles this morning and spoiled his diapers AGAIN. Meadows has the Trump Bunker cleanup duty. Hope you enjoy it Mark. McConnell is going to survive Donnie. McCarthy is going to go down with the Trump Party boat
Those Senators are dead politicians walking. Their days are numbered and they know it. They are getting their Elitist Uniparty shots in while they can.

For god's sake...look at that list of names. RINO's and Dinosaurs, all of them. The Republican rank and file will take care of them when their time runs out.

Add insult to injury, the TX special election for the vacant House seat NOT WON by the candidate that got Donnie's endorsement.
So...you think Democratic dirty tactics...ala Murkowsky...means Trump has lost support?

Nonsense.

Thinks the man who shits in a golden toilet isn't elite.

The rest of us point and laugh.
Says the person who has no understanding of the political word..."Elite".

(Even though it's been explained to her countless times.)

Unfortunately for republicans, their party is inexorably tied to Donald Trump. But that unhealthy alliance is doing nothing but bringing the party down. Trump will not help any republican win a seat not going to be won by a republican anyway, he will just help ensure the republican who does win is loyal to him. So a win for Trump; nothing for the party.

But here we have the January 6 investigation(s). An event that shocked many/most Americans. Obviously, the event involved a very small percentage of republicans and most, I would like to believe, would never do something so stupid. If anything, the events are a reflection on Trump since he staged an event that day, encouraged his most devoted followers to come to the Capitol, and had spent months fanning their passions with his unhinged rhetoric.

Wasn't this the perfect time for the Republican party to step back and let things play out? If it winds up Trump comes out of this so damaged that they can finally break free of him, wouldn't that have been a win? They don't have to oppose him or go against him and come under his wrath. Just get out of the way.

But instead, they've doubled down in an effort to shield him and to a lesser degree the republican party. And in so doing will wind up alienating even more Americans and further committing themselves to the sinking ship that is Donald Trump.

Opportunity lost? I think it was.
this is a really good post.

and one other thing, the real Republican extremists will hate this OP and try to beat it down or change the subject.

just watch for them. then you'll know.

I take it the Republicans you support are the Republican Elites and globalists who have ****ed over their rank and file for decades. I'm not surprised a Liberal would have that attitude.

Sorry, but the Republican rank and file WANT to be tied to Trump. The Elites have to figure out how to answer to their rank and file now...not figure out how to get rid of Trump. I think they'll find both of those things is very hard to do. Their rank and file doesn't trust them anymore.
Well put. The left as well as the RINOs want to think it's just about Trump. It's not. It's about rank establishment "librul lite" republicans who dust off the party platform every four years and say: "Look we really are conservatives", then toss it back on the shelf to be forgotten for another four years. Establishment republicans with some assistance from the democrat party inadvertently created Trump, however Trump merely tapped into a populist anti-globalist/anti status quo movement that actually began in 2010. Up until 2016, the RINO's thought they were just going to give it lip service and ride it out. And the libruls are frightened at the concept of the republican party leaving the "Go along to get along" model.

Yeah, yeah...you stumbled upon Gallup and you've been repeating this all over the DP website. Big deal.

Back in 2016...when Trump won the election...Reps had 27%, Inds 38% and Dems 31%. Do you remember what happened? I do.

The Gallup numbers mean nothing in this context because there's no indication that Trump is losing supporters...no matter what their stated party affiliation. All that 24% for Reps indicates is that Republicans are leaving the Party. It's more likely they are doing that because they are tired of their Party Elites ****ing them over.

Snark and hyperbole dismissed.

Those Senators are dead politicians walking. Their days are numbered and they know it. They are getting their Elitist Uniparty shots in while they can.

For god's sake...look at that list of names. RINO's and Dinosaurs, all of them. The Republican rank and file will take care of them when their time runs out.

So...you think Democratic dirty tactics...ala Murkowsky...means Trump has lost support?

Nonsense.
Didn't stumble on Gallup. Have been following for years.

All the posters missed 2016 or hadn't you heard.

Thrump is at best holding on AT BEST. He is certainly not gaining support.

As for dead Senators walking.....If you think they will be replaced by 18 Trumphumpers, give me some of what you are smoking. Some will be replaced by DEM's for one thing. Yea that works for the GOP. Fat Donnie already cost the GOP two Senate seats in Georgia.

Dirty tactics and Murkowski. Again give me some of what you are smoking.

This is about the 2022 elections and Nancy trying to sway voters away from the historical losses likely to occur
Come on man, it's all about principles, integrity and values;)

On a serious note, I agree with you. But, let's say Dems do suffer those historical losses. Maybe they'll just justify this circus by saying the losses would have been worse had they not put on this dramatically staged production.

My lord you make zero sense again and again.
I have noted that @Mycroft is a devout follower of the current GOP Elites, or more accurately the singular GOP Elite that is Donald Trump. He further argues that the rank and file abandoned a group of wealthy, power hungry people for a single, wealthier and more power hungry person, and this somehow is a good thing. That is why he is dismissed.

you see it as the GOP giving in to Trump and his side

I see it as not giving in to the democrats

it is almost like the 2016 election all over again

two shit choices...neither worth a damn

Jan 6th happened....most people with a brain understand that

what people disagree with, is exactly what happened, and IF Trump or anyone in the GOP was involved

I dont blame her, but i cant condone it....and with the FBI unable to link any GOP to any of the assailants so far even offering deals, i wonder if there is anything remotely tying anyone in power to the idiots who attacked the capitol

just my two cents....

You figure an attempt to thwart democracy through violence should be ignored do you?

1) Capital security needs to be upgraded (something Republicans appear reluctant to do....what is that about). One mission of the Select Committee is to understand what broke down, why and fix it. PS....that won't lead to Pelosi no matter how much Jim Jordan screams out her name.
2) There is very likely more malfeasance than that committed by those actually engaged in the violent insurrection itself. That needs to be fleshed out and Prosecution itself won't do it. As for why a Select Committee....because McConnell and McCarthy scuttled an Independent Commission with equal subpoena power all around after McCarthy kept asking for more and more stipulations all of which he got. Big mistake. Now they got nuthin'. They thought Pelosi was bluffing. She wasn't.

First day of testimony was bad enough for the Repukes who had their "tourists visiting the Capital" narrative slashed to ribbons while the truly whacko end of the House Republicans were left with their feeble effort out in front of DOJ to get those Insurrectionists held over for trial released.

Perfect timing, one insurrectionist that had been let out, caught buying and selling 35 guns and with explosives in his house. Back to jail for him. You just can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Somewhat at a loss how you wonder if there is anything "remotely" tying anyone in power to 1/6. That is beyond question. None of them would have been there if but for Trump's clown show scheduled for the same day and his repeated selling of the lie about a stolen election and that his followers needed to stop the steal. That he and his cronies got them all fired up in the preceding months that led to the attack is again, beyond question.

If instead the question becomes did any of them directly cause the attack, as in plan it, orchestrate it, ask for it, etc. That is a whole different matter and I don't expect there to be any evidence that someone at a higher level coordinated the attack on the capitol. But that doesn't mean the events of 1/6 are unworthy of a congressional investigation. In fact, if an attack by Americans on congress itself is not worthy of their investigative powers, what is?
If instead the question becomes did any of them directly cause the attack, as in plan it, orchestrate it, ask for it, etc. That is a whole different matter and I don't expect there to be any evidence that someone at a higher level coordinated the attack on the capitol.

Because we have morons in America....

and yeah, some of them are from my side of the aisle

And investigating morons is going to get you what exactly? You dont believe as you said that there is any evidence that someone HIGHER helped coordinate the attack....so what exactly are we to gain?

It would be almost as bad as the GOP convening a committee to investigate what happened in some of the cities with the protests....absolutely nothing to gain, and just a shit show

ignored?

i believe the FBI is all over this....or dont you believe in our law enforcement anymore?

this is kabuki theatre designed by Nancy to hopefully sway some votes.....nothing more

i will be VERY VERY surprised if a number of people the house subpoena's even show up

That is when the real theatre starts

I have noted that @Mycroft is a devout follower of the current GOP Elites, or more accurately the singular GOP Elite that is Donald Trump. He further argues that the rank and file abandoned a group of wealthy, power hungry people for a single, wealthier and more power hungry person, and this somehow is a good thing. That is why he is dismissed.
Also it should be noted that it was still the GOP in 2016. Its now the Trumplican/GOP Party and we all know that. So every defection from the GOP is a defection from Trump himself. The GOP down to 24% affiliation is not quite the nothing-burger that Mycroft would have us believe.

Thrump is at best holding on AT BEST. He is certainly not gaining support.
Okay, that's fine.
Trump did an important job of waking up the Republican party (see comment #34). The only ones who are concerned about Trump's current support are Dems. Meanwhile, Trump has a ton of support and, because of that, he has a lot of influence. Lots of voters like the strength and straightforward (non-swamp) approach Trump brought, and still brings, to traditional conservative beliefs. Lots of us still love that about Trump. So, I expect he'll have a lot of support for quite a while. But, conservatives don't care about or worry about if his support is holding, lessening, or growing. Who cares? It appears, only Dems (and Trump, lol).
Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the current Trump role. I like it. I like to learn of his endorsements and I notice those recently Trump endorsed candidates jump by large amounts in the betting markets, as Trump announces additional endorsements. Thus, I'm clearly not alone in noticing and paying attention to whom Trump endorses. By the time the 2022 election happens, I expect that will be MANY endorsements - and great, IMO!
What the Dems miss is that Republicans aren't hung up on Trump running or not in 24. I think his current role is great.
The other thing the Dems miss, IMO, is viewing Trump as an extremist. Trump, the personality, creates tremendous notice, love and upset. But, Trump the policy, is just good old fashioned, pro-America, conservative ideas. The "extremist" wing resides in the AOC branch of the Dem party.

ignored?

i believe the FBI is all over this....or dont you believe in our law enforcement anymore?

this is kabuki theatre designed by Nancy to hopefully sway some votes.....nothing more

i will be VERY VERY surprised if a number of people the house subpoena's even show up

That is when the real theatre starts
FBI functions under DOJ. DOJ can only Prosecute. Thinking Prosecution if fact finding is naive. Federal Prosecution is about making cases....it's not about Facts or Truth and its not even about Justice.

The select committee is well justified. Fat Donnie's, McCarthy's and McConnell's mistake was in rejecting the Independent Commission that McCarthy had negotiated. Then they could have blocked any subpoena they wanted to block. WHOOPS!

Okay, that's fine.
Trump did an important job of waking up the Republican party (see comment #34). The only ones who are concerned about Trump's current support are Dems. Meanwhile, Trump has a ton of support and, because of that, he has a lot of influence. Lots of voters like the strength and straightforward (non-swamp) approach Trump brought, and still brings, to traditional conservative beliefs. Lots of us still love that about Trump. So, I expect he'll have a lot of support for quite a while. But, conservatives don't care about or worry about if his support is holding, lessening, or growing. Who cares? It appears, only Dems (and Trump, lol).
Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the current Trump role. I like it. I like to learn of his endorsements and I notice those recently Trump endorsed candidates jump by large amounts in the betting markets, as Trump announces additional endorsements. Thus, I'm clearly not alone in noticing and paying attention to whom Trump endorses. By the time the 2022 election happens, I expect that will be MANY endorsements - and great, IMO!
What the Dems miss is that Republicans aren't hung up on Trump running or not in 24. I think his current role is great.
The other thing the Dems miss, IMO, is viewing Trump as an extremist. Trump, the personality, creates tremendous notice, love and upset. But, Trump the policy, is just good old fashioned, pro-America, conservative ideas. The "extremist" wing resides in the AOC branch of the Dem party.
Do you "love" his flimflam monthly infrastructure weeks that were outright frauds and became the laughing stock of National Politics? Did you love that? I suspect it will be loved even less after the Infrastructure bill is actually passed under Joe Biden.

Trump's endorsed candidate for the House job from Texas just got beat or didn't you notice. Donnie literally cost McConnell two senate seats from Georgia. Now Georgia has a Jewish kid and a Black Minister for Senators. A few lunches must have come up in GOP circles that day.

There is not a single conservative thing about Donald Trump. There are a few aspects of Trumpism that mate to the current GOP. However real conservatives are so few within the ranks of the GOP that they could caucus in a phone booth. The bulk of the GOP now is Radicalized Right wingers led by a guy that what's to be first US Autocrat, Donald Trump. Can't fit Conservative and Radical in the same political definition. It does not compute. SORRY

Last edited:
I'm a centrist and you don't speak for me.

I'm a loyal American who wants to make sure we never have a piece of shit President and his piece of shit Congressional ass lickers riling up the piece of shit traitors. Period. You don't like the investigation? Then ignore it. But you do not speak for "centrists". You speak for yourself.
I do speak for myself and as most centrists vote on policy not party, I could give a shit about the investigation. But I can sure as hell see it for what it is, political hackery.

You can be centrist and like drama or prefer one party over the other, that's all good. You do you Boo.

Trump's endorsed candidate for the House job from Texas just got beat or didn't you notice.
Was this the Texas runoff election where the favorite Dem didn't even make it to the runoff and, thus, it surprisingly ended up being between a couple Republicans? If so, then congrats on that Republican win. Since the Dems didn't have a candidate, maybe they decided to help push a non Trump endorsed person over the finish line? I guess if you don't have somebody in your own party to place a vote for, why not?
Anyway, if that's the election you're talking about, I won't cry too many tears over a Republican win.

You show me that you have no idea who or what I am.

I have noted that @Mycroft is a devout follower of the current GOP Elites
I don't follow any party...not GOP...not Dem...and I certainly don't support any Elites...not GOP...not Dem.

, or more accurately the singular GOP Elite that is Donald Trump.
Trump is not a party Elite. The GOP Elites hate him.

He further argues that the rank and file abandoned a group of wealthy, power hungry people for a single, wealthier and more power hungry person, and this somehow is a good thing. That is why he is dismissed.
Trump isn't "power hungry" and he's not in politics for the wealth. And yes...that is a refreshingly good thing. If we had more Trump and less Elites...in both parties...our country would be better off.

Back
Top Bottom