• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Defensive gun use thread (1 Viewer)

So how do magazine capacity limits make it harder for the bad guys to get a gun? Sure feels like a needless restriction on legal gun owners, period.
I wasn't talking about high capacity mags. but maybe explain how unreasonable restricting high capacity mags would be to the 473 people killed and wounded by a single gunman in Las Vegas when they went to a music festival.

I've owned guns all my adult life, including semi-autos, and despite hunting all sorts of animals with them I have never needed, or even wanted, more than 10 rounds in a mag. I am not sure I have ever even fired 5 shots in a row. I can think of a very few pest control activities that might work better with say a 20 round mag, but those are very rare occurrences involving a small number of people with that requirement. I would certainly argue that they get granted an exemption from any high cap mag restrictions if any were introduced.

So when it comes to the availability of high capacity mags we are mostly talking about weekend Rambos wanting to blaze away extra rounds for whatever reason, vs the impact on innocent lives such as in the Las Vegas shooting. I personally don't think we should make the bad guys able to kill even more people than they already do just to satisfy some peoples Rambo fetishes. You, and others, may of course have different priorities and feel innocent people dying is not that important.

I wasn't talking about high capacity mags. but maybe explain how unreasonable restricting high capacity mags would be to the 473 people killed and wounded by a single gunman in Las Vegas when they went to a music festival.

I've owned guns all my adult life, including semi-autos, and despite hunting all sorts of animals with them I have never needed, or even wanted, more than 10 rounds in a mag. I am not sure I have ever even fired 5 shots in a row. I can think of a very few pest control activities that might work better with say a 20 round mag, but those are very rare occurrences involving a small number of people with that requirement. I would certainly argue that they get granted an exemption from any high cap mag restrictions if any were introduced.

So when it comes to the availability of high capacity mags we are mostly talking about weekend Rambos wanting to blaze away extra rounds for whatever reason, vs the impact on innocent lives such as in the Las Vegas shooting. I personally don't think we should make the bad guys able to kill even more people than they already do just to satisfy some peoples Rambo fetishes. You, and others, may of course have different priorities and feel innocent people dying is not that important.

It's not all about you or what you do. People who do differently than you are not necessarily deserving of derogatory comment.

Check the bigotry, please.

Paddock apparently used 100-round mags and multiple firearms to accomplish his high firepower output. Given the unusual amount of preparation that went into this attack, I suppose we can start banning fertilizer, too, if we decide to base gun laws on high profile, highly unusual incidents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

If Paddock didn't have access to high capacity mags, I suspect he would have simply transitioned to a belt-fed system instead. I suppose the law can be tailored (and it likely is in some states already) to cover 11+-round ammo belts, but then Paddock could have just purchased 100 10-round segments of ammo belts and linked them together to give him 1,000 round capacity.

Would have been more efficient, too.

And then they go and release 10x re-offenders and when he re-offends for the 11th time, they push for serial numbers of bullets, as if they don't know who is committing all the crime.View attachment 67511916
I think it's not really about crime and reducing it. I think it's about being against you.

Thank God he used a rifle with high-capacity mags.
Had he used something with a belt, many hundreds would have died.
I've owned guns all my adult life, including semi-autos, and despite hunting all sorts of animals with them I have never needed, or even wanted, more than 10 rounds in a mag.
That's nice.
So what?
So when it comes to the availability of high capacity mags we are mostly talking about weekend Rambos...
Please - try to be serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom