• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debating with Style

Conservatives talk about human nature being a constant.

I can't figure out why I feel so impelled to jump into the stupid threads on the Political Discussion forum.

I don't contribute anything outside of the normal hate and discontent.

Arrgh.

Conservatives talk about human nature being a constant.

I can't figure out why I feel so impelled to jump into the stupid threads on the Political Discussion forum.

I don't contribute anything outside of the normal hate and discontent.

Arrgh.
I think the problem, my friend, is that even though we are constrained to be polite, we have passions and believe strongly in the things we believe in. People who honor those sentiments can become friends, people who simply want to argue - often repetitively and disingenuously, learn to identify trigger points - and press them.

I have been a participant in political discussion boards for decades. Remember the election of 2000 and the controversy surrounding the Supreme Court's intervention? How quaint those times seem. Remember when the sexual habits of a President seemed significant? Good times. Over the years, and perhaps it was the particular forums I participated in, I have watched as the "debating habits" of participants have degraded. Yes, "burns" and "put-downs" have always been a theme in debates, but they used to be done with far greater panache and erudition. The sharpest knives go in without being felt immediately. Facts used to matter. Wow, that takes me back! I actually remember when one would use logic to build an argument, provide citations to relevant material and conduct disagreements with respect and a presumption of sincerity. I used to do that too!

Now, it seems, I am too often drawn into "debates" that consist entirely of well-worn and canned position statements that are presented with no intent of persuasion, without consideration or even understanding; When a well-developed rationale is responded to with a "dismissed" or less-polite versions of "Jane, you ignorant slut!"; "Labels" are de rigueur in lieu of specifics or actual responses, with the expectation that the recipient, not being one of "us", is assumed to be one of "them" and not deserving of consideration. Worse, I am prompted to respond in kind!

My question is: am I alone in this feeling? Is my desire for debate with substance and respect just a quaint notion from a bygone era? Is self-deprecation or even self-consciousness passe? Is nuance dead? Is it possible, in this day and age, to carry on a reasoned debate with an honest and respectful opponent, or is this just wishful thinking?

When one side has no facts at all, there really isn't much to debate. And the right don't even have a nugget of facts to support their beliefs to even attempt any reasonable argument,. They treat facts like its up for belief or opinion like its a religion.

When one side has no facts at all, there really isn't much to debate. And the right don't even have a nugget of facts to support their beliefs to even attempt any reasonable argument,. They treat facts like its up for belief or opinion like its a religion.

This is the loft.

The subject is debating with style.

If you'd like to discuss that topic, please feel free to join in.

We really do need some other, more highly moderated, forums.
I wonder at times if I jumped into debate at the end of the Golden Age of the internet in 2007.

Missed out on the good ol days of the late 90s-early 2000s.

Yes, "burns" and "put-downs" have always been a theme in debates, but they used to be done with far greater panache and erudition.

I would agree that a well thought out gig was always a good "component" of a debate thread.
Facts used to matter. Wow, that takes me back! I actually remember when one would use logic to build an argument, provide citations to relevant material and conduct disagreements with respect and a presumption of sincerity. I used to do that too!

Well, reading this....I still believe that back then people were more flexible in their opinions and willing to move on certain topics. Facts are hard to argue with. The interpretation of facts seems to have become something of a lost cause.

And I guess my biggest concern is that there is no place you can go where you can hold something exclusive to those you wish to include.

You can offer up your opening salvo only to have the thread jumped by a number of individuals who have no interest in debating the point at hand.

Just looked over about 5 threads in the Political "Discussion" forum.

Some discussion.

No debate at all.

Both sides talking right by each other.

Just looked over about 5 threads in the Political "Discussion" forum.

Some discussion.

No debate at all.

Both sides talking right by each other.
Far, far too often.

I have to admit some of my positions have hardened over time, largely as a result of attacks, honestly. But when I take the time to reflect, I find that I can distinguish what is rational from what is reflexive. On many issues - social justice, infrastructure, immigration, environment - it is because persistent neglect has made conditions urgent. We are simply running out of time and the interregnum of "the Trump years" made many more things far worse, so we are in several crises at once.

Urgency makes debate existential, and existentialism is not conducive to critical thinking or erudition. But, it does make getting to the point a prime objective. That can make for stronger arguments.

On many issues - social justice, infrastructure, immigration, environment - it is because persistent neglect has made conditions urgent. We are simply running out of time and the interregnum of "the Trump years" made many more things far worse, so we are in several crises at once.
Especially when it comes to the environment, debate feels rather pointless now. It's really time to move onto action.

I have been a participant in political discussion boards for decades. Remember the election of 2000 and the controversy surrounding the Supreme Court's intervention? How quaint those times seem. Remember when the sexual habits of a President seemed significant? Good times. Over the years, and perhaps it was the particular forums I participated in, I have watched as the "debating habits" of participants have degraded. Yes, "burns" and "put-downs" have always been a theme in debates, but they used to be done with far greater panache and erudition. The sharpest knives go in without being felt immediately. Facts used to matter. Wow, that takes me back! I actually remember when one would use logic to build an argument, provide citations to relevant material and conduct disagreements with respect and a presumption of sincerity. I used to do that too!

Now, it seems, I am too often drawn into "debates" that consist entirely of well-worn and canned position statements that are presented with no intent of persuasion, without consideration or even understanding; When a well-developed rationale is responded to with a "dismissed" or less-polite versions of "Jane, you ignorant slut!"; "Labels" are de rigueur in lieu of specifics or actual responses, with the expectation that the recipient, not being one of "us", is assumed to be one of "them" and not deserving of consideration. Worse, I am prompted to respond in kind!

My question is: am I alone in this feeling? Is my desire for debate with substance and respect just a quaint notion from a bygone era? Is self-deprecation or even self-consciousness passe? Is nuance dead? Is it possible, in this day and age, to carry on a reasoned debate with an honest and respectful opponent, or is this just wishful thinking?
You're not alone.

Far, far too often.

I have to admit some of my positions have hardened over time, largely as a result of attacks, honestly. But when I take the time to reflect, I find that I can distinguish what is rational from what is reflexive. On many issues - social justice, infrastructure, immigration, environment - it is because persistent neglect has made conditions urgent. We are simply running out of time and the interregnum of "the Trump years" made many more things far worse, so we are in several crises at once.

Urgency makes debate existential, and existentialism is not conducive to critical thinking or erudition. But, it does make getting to the point a prime objective. That can make for stronger arguments.

While we differ in ideology, I think we agree on the first part of your post.

The "attacks" by both sides are largely a matter of distrust and suspicion. The fact is that we have to live together and accommodate each other in some form (although I will say it does not have to be homogenous) in whatever circumstances there are.

To the point of debate. It's not that we debate.....it's what we debate.

Take for instance "the environment". Probably the biggest flash point in the entire discussion is global warming. Prior to 1988, there was more concern about running out of oil. Many "oil peaks" had already been defined and found to be bogus as we have found more and more oil. Global warming then came to the forefront.

The terms I'd use to describe the "discussion" that has taken place since then would almost be incendiary in and of themselves. Sadly, this topic has developed two camps that, again, do not trust each other and, frankly, have no respect for each other. If I go into it any deeper than that (in this forum), I worry that I violate the spirit of the forum.

What I will say is that when that (division) occurs.....nothing happens. Sadly, a great deal could have occurred within the last 30 years. Primarily in terms of alignment had the discussion been more about stewardship instead of reaction (this is my opinion).

Why did we need to debate global warming right from the start ? And why does it have to be "This is what needs to be done now." ? Versus, what are we willing to do and how committed are we willing to do it ?

Instead of debating something so many are so passionate about (on both sides), why not find a component to debate (discuss) that doesn't immediately engender the visceral reactions that seem almost universal in this particular point ?

You're not alone.

@American

Welcome to the conversation.

I'd love to see more posters join in over in this forum where we can discuss things without the silly, stupid, moronic, arrogant, pathetic, uninformed, emotionally charged, biased, ignorant, retarded and hyperbolic (I hope the joke comes through) name calling and blathering that takes place in some of the other forums.

😇😇😇😇

Well, the Political Discussion Forum continues to be a cespool.

Well, if you had ever participated in the unmoderated Usenet boards in the alt. hierarchy in the 90s, you'd know that it's tame here by comparison.

Well, if you had ever participated in the unmoderated Usenet boards in the alt. hierarchy in the 90s, you'd know that it's tame here by comparison.
That's why I don't dwell in the basement.

Such a refreshing thread to read. I don't know how I missed it until now? I agree that the nature of debate has suffered over the last forty years or so. I agree that too many debates deteriorate into cyber-donnybrooks or uncivilised clashes of personalities rather than more civilised clashes of ideas. I do not agree that this should be considered a fait accomplis. There are plenty of excellent debaters of all political stripes on this forum and I know that they can conduct superior debates, if given half a chance. So some knob-head parachutes in with a drive-by trolling or personal attack. Ignore it, use self discipline and carry on with the best of the debate. In essence we must develop thicker skin while guarding against becoming insensitive or callous along the way. The only way I can see to preserve or perhaps even promote good, stylish, fact-based or authority-based, genuine debate is to do it despite the cyber-chaff endeavouring to distract us or to derail the debate and to carry on despite it.

I like debating here but more for the reading then the writing. I love learning and thinking about another debater's good, insightful post and anything which allows me to do those two things is a "good" in my very humble opinion. To do that, I have had to develop a system of filters or baleens and to exercise them vigorously in order to better separate the considerable volume of chaff from the scarce grains of wisdom and revelation I seek. Perhaps we all need to do that, as more and more frequently we are dealing with people who (through no fault of their own) have been raised in an increasingly superficial, right-now, just-in-time-delivery world, which values appearance over substance, the immediacy of reaction over the slower process of reflection and the satisfaction of the quick strike over the more gradual aspirations of learning and teaching.

Humility and confidence are also key to maintaining or expanding the presence of "good" debate on any forum. The humility is necessary to not come off as a right prat during a debate and the confidence is key to not letting intentional humility be mistaken for weakness in debating or uncertainty in the case being presented. Humility also defuses the greatest sin of too many debaters; the sin of arrogance. Nothing kills debate and poisons it so much as arrogance in one or more debaters. I regularly regret crossing the line between humble debate and arrogant schooling on these forums and must always guard against unleashing this destructive vice which is a part of me.

Honesty is important too but it is harder and harder to be "honest" in a world where facts no longer exist as nearly universally accepted commonplaces between debaters. So may I revise my statement to "holding honest intentions" in an increasingly factually-fuzzy world. Proving facts can be more difficult too. For one third of my life there was really no public internet. It took two thirds of my live for the Internet to become a socially relavant thing. Thus I learned a lot from life experience and books which cannot be readily linked into a citation in an Internet debate. Trawling through the interwebs to find digital sources to confirm what I already know is a pain in the arse for me and when you cite an author, book and page numbers as evidence, too many new-school debaters reject that. So the solid facts of yesteryear are buckling under the weight of the immediate but more fungible facts of the right-now internet.

Despite these obstacles, the only way to find and promote good debate is to practice it and to bring newer debaters along in our wake. We must plant the intellectual trees which we ourselves will never be able to sit under in the shade and enjoy, for the benefit of new generations. So don't lose heart, don't despair, but gird yourselves and jump right back into the verbal fray. It may seem a forlorn hope at times but it was and is acting on hope which made and makes our world a better place despite the vicissitudes of human nature and bestial violence.

Oh, and @NWRatCon , know that I forgive you and still very much respect you for being and thinking like a lawyer!. ;), heh, heh, heh, heh.

Cheers, be well and debate on!
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
Such a refreshing thread to read. I don't know how I missed it until now? I agree that the nature of debate has suffered over the last forty years or so. I agree that too many debates deteriorate into cyber-donnybrooks or uncivilised clashes of personalities rather than more civilised clashes of ideas. I do not agree that this should be considered a fait accomplis. There are plenty of excellent debaters of all political stripes on this forum and that they can conduct superior debates if given half a chance. So some knob-head parachutes in with a drive-by trolling or personal attack. Ignore it and carry on with the best of the debate. I essence we must develop thicker skin while guarding against becoming insensitive or callous along the way. The only way Incan see to preserve or perhaps even promote good, stylish, fact-based or authority-based, genuine debate is to do it despite the cyber-chaff endeavouring to distract us or to derail the debate and to carry on despite it.

I like debating here but more for the reading then the writing. I love learning and thinking about another debater's good, inciteful post and anything which allows me to do those two things is a "good" in my very humble opinion. To do that, I have had to develop a system of filters or baleens and to exercise them vigorously in order to better separate the considerable volume of chaff from the scarce grains of wisdom and revelation I seek. Perhaps we all need to do that, as more and more frequently we are dealing with people who (through no fault of their own) have been raised in an increasingly superficial, right-now, just-in-time-delivery world, which values appearance over substance, the immediacy of reaction over the slower process of reflection and the satisfaction of the quick strike over the more gradual aspirations of learning and teaching.

Humility and confidence are also key to maintaining or expanding the presence of "good" debate on any forum. The humility is necessary to not come off as a right prat during a debate and the confidence is key to not letting intentional humility be mistaken for weakness in debating or uncertainty in the case being presented. Humility also defuses the greatest sin of too many debaters; the sin of arrogance. Nothing kills debate and poisons it so much as arrogance in one or more debaters. I regularly regret crossing the line between humble debate and arrogant schooling on these forums and must always guard against unleashing this destructive vice which is a part of me.

Honesty is important too but it is harder and harder to be "honest" in a world where facts no longer exist as nearly universally accepted commonplaces between debaters. So may I revise my statement to "holding honest intentions" in an increasingly factually-fuzzy world. Proving facts can be more difficult too. For one third of my life there was really no public internet. It took two thirds of my live for the Internet to become a socially relavant thing. Thus I learned a lot from life experience and books which cannot be readily linked into a citation in an Internet debate. Trawling through the interwebs to find digital sources to confirm what I already know is a pain in the arse for me and when you cite an author, book and page numbers as evidence, too many new-school debaters reject that. So the solid facts of yesteryear are buckling under the weight of the immediate but more fungible facts of the right-now internet.

Despite these obstacles, the only way to find and promote good debate is to practice it and to bring newer debaters along in our wake. We must plant the intellectual trees which we ourselves will never be able to sit under in the shade and enjoy, for the benefit of new generations. So don't lose heart, don't despair, but gird yourselves and jump right back into the verbal fray. It may seem a forlorn hope at times but it was and is acting on hope which made and makes our world a better place despite the vicissitudes of human nature and bestial violence.

Oh, and @NWRatCon , know that I forgive you and still very much respect you for being and thinking like a lawyer!. ;), heh, heh, heh, heh.

Cheers, be well and debate on!
Evilroddy.
👏

Overitall:

You quoted me before I had finished correcting my post. You have archived my mistakes before I cleaned them up for public consumption. Curse your speedy efficiency and diligence, sir! ;) No I am even more humbled.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy

Such a refreshing thread to read. I don't know how I missed it until now? I agree that the nature of debate has suffered over the last forty years or so. I agree that too many debates deteriorate into cyber-donnybrooks or uncivilised clashes of personalities rather than more civilised clashes of ideas. I do not agree that this should be considered a fait accomplis. There are plenty of excellent debaters of all political stripes on this forum and that they can conduct superior debates if given half a chance. So some knob-head parachutes in with a drive-by trolling or personal attack. Ignore it and carry on with the best of the debate. In essence we must develop thicker skin while guarding against becoming insensitive or callous along the way. The only way I can see to preserve or perhaps even promote good, stylish, fact-based or authority-based, genuine debate is to do it despite the cyber-chaff endeavouring to distract us or to derail the debate and to carry on despite it.

I like debating here but more for the reading then the writing. I love learning and thinking about another debater's good, insightful post and anything which allows me to do those two things is a "good" in my very humble opinion. To do that, I have had to develop a system of filters or baleens and to exercise them vigorously in order to better separate the considerable volume of chaff from the scarce grains of wisdom and revelation I seek. Perhaps we all need to do that, as more and more frequently we are dealing with people who (through no fault of their own) have been raised in an increasingly superficial, right-now, just-in-time-delivery world, which values appearance over substance, the immediacy of reaction over the slower process of reflection and the satisfaction of the quick strike over the more gradual aspirations of learning and teaching.

Fantastic post @Evilroddy !!!

Wonder why you call yourself Evil......:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:.

I only quoted a couple of paragraphs I agree with in particular (loved it all).

And welcome to the loft.

We have had some other very good conversations going on here and I appreciate them.

I recently came across some YouTube video's of discussion between Ben Shapiro and Bill Maher. These two don't agree on a lot, but they discuss what they do agree on (and I think they are seeing they agree on more than what they originally thought). The last one I watched, I got the sense they were really two friends talking to each other.

I've come to respect Maher more as of late (and not because of this). I used to call him a complete moron (and at one point....I really did feel he talked like one). But, he has show some real courage in taking on what he thinks is wrong.

I haven't watched it yet, but Shapiro and Anna Kasparian (who I despise and have no respect for) got together for a debate and (according to my friends) it was a very productive discussion because it stayed away from name calling and shouting down.

It can be done !!!!

I have appreciated @NWRatCon (I think he'd agree we don't agree on much....if anything....except that we don't agree on anything.....but then we'd agree on something.....sooooooo.......) taking time to share with me on several threads on the constitution. He's quite knowlegable and very good with concise discussion. I have found it to be very thought provoking.

Last edited:
Overitall:

You quoted me before I had finished correcting my post. You have archived my mistakes before I cleaned them up for public consumption. Curse your speedy efficiency and diligence, sir! ;) No I am even more humbled.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy
I'm normally not a nit-picker. The substance of your comments were praise worthy. Maybe I should read it over again and check for spelling/grammar errors though. ;)

I just have to wonder how there can be ten pages of posts on Will Smith Smacking Chris Rock, and meaty forums (like the constitution forum) can collect dust.

Boggles my mind.

We recently took on an intern who is originally from Kenya. I love learning about other cultures.

One thing she shares is that kindness is taught from an early age.

I wish we could do that.

We recently took on an intern who is originally from Kenya. I love learning about other cultures.

One thing she shares is that kindness is taught from an early age.

I wish we could do that.
We can. But even when I was a wee lad there were "meanies" on the playground; bullies in the classrooms. Today we have the Internet and no repercussions from being unkind.

We can. But even when I was a wee lad there were "meanies" on the playground; bullies in the classrooms. Today we have the Internet and no repercussions from being unkind.

Not something I am willing to accept.

Back
Top Bottom