• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Dean of journalism' busted for fabricating claims of "racial profiling" in Dallas paper

ModerationNow!

I identify as "non-Bidenary".
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Dorothy Bland is the dean of the school of journalism, at the University of Northern Texas. She was walking down the wrong side of a main street in her upper middle class neighborhood one day, while flailing her arms around above her head, and acting oblivious to traffic. There were sidewalks available as well. She was wearing a hood, as it was apparently lightly raining, which from behind would make it difficult to determine her race. A police cruiser followed her shortly, then stopped, and the 2 officers politely informed her that she should be walking on the other side(or the sidewalk), and that her seemingly oblivious manner of walking was potentially putting her at risk. As always, they asked her for her ID, and immediately she began commenting about how she was being treated unfairly etc, despite not being searched, handcuffed, charged or arrested. After a short time, they leave.

Then, she writes an article for the Dallas Morning News, titled, "Walking While Black", where she fabricated claims that she was suddenly startled by "lights and sirens" from the police car, as she was stopped. She said the officers were "threatening", they compared her to a dog, and how she was afraid for her life, because they were taller than her, had guns, and because she remembered Trayvon Martin. She claimed she asked repeatedly why they stopped her, but was never given a decent answer.

Problem was, the police were equipped with audio & video, and they later released the footage, which literally contradicted every claim she made! Then once exposed, she said that she didn't want to be in the public eye(despite the fact that SHE PUT HERSELF THERE, by authoring an article in a major newspaper)! This whole incident further explains why so many journalism students are indoctrinated into radical progressive politics, by people like her, and end up becoming ideological activists instead of honest, objective journalists.

Here's the police video with some narration, and another article explaining why it doesn't help race relations when politically motivated people in positions of authority 'cry wolf', by making up false claims of racism, although ALL of us SHOULD already understand that.....

https://leesomniac.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/crying-wolf-people-who-lie-like-dorothy-bland-hurt-race-relations/

Last edited:
Re: 'Dean of journalism' busted for fabricating claims of "racial profiling" in Dallas paper

...fascist sons of bitches...how dare they have recorded audio and video to catch her in a lie.
Just more ways "the man" keeps down the poor and downtrodden black population.
(yet her neighborhood looks pretty nice, doesn't it?)

Re: 'Dean of journalism' busted for fabricating claims of "racial profiling" in Dallas paper

I won't comment on her written article, but it very much seems to me the cops intentionally decided to check her out, and I.D. her. For no reason, that I can see. I'd be a bit pissed, myself.

Dorothy Bland is the dean of the school of journalism, at the University of Northern Texas. She was walking down the wrong side of a main street in her upper middle class neighborhood one day, while flailing her arms around above her head, and acting oblivious to traffic. There were sidewalks available as well. She was wearing a hood, as it was apparently lightly raining, which from behind would make it difficult to determine her race. A police cruiser followed her shortly, then stopped, and the 2 officers politely informed her that she should be walking on the other side(or the sidewalk), and that her seemingly oblivious manner of walking was potentially putting her at risk. As always, they asked her for her ID, and immediately she began commenting about how she was being treated unfairly etc, despite not being searched, handcuffed, charged or arrested. After a short time, they leave.

Then, she writes an article for the Dallas Morning News, titled, "Walking While Black", where she fabricated claims that she was suddenly startled by "lights and sirens" from the police car, as she was stopped. She said the officers were "threatening", they compared her to a dog, and how she was afraid for her life, because they were taller than her, had guns, and because she remembered Trayvon Martin. She claimed she asked repeatedly why they stopped her, but was never given a decent answer.

Problem was, the police were equipped with audio & video, and they later released the footage, which literally contradicted every claim she made! Then once exposed, she said that she didn't want to be in the public eye(despite the fact that SHE PUT HERSELF THERE, by authoring an article in a major newspaper)! This whole incident further explains why so many journalism students are indoctrinated into radical progressive politics, by people like her, and end up becoming ideological activists instead of honest, objective journalists.

Here's the police video with some narration, and another article explaining why it doesn't help race relations when politically motivated people in positions of authority 'cry wolf', by making up false claims of racism, although ALL of us SHOULD already understand that.....

https://leesomniac.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/crying-wolf-people-who-lie-like-dorothy-bland-hurt-race-relations/

Goes good with finding out that the prizewinning longtime DW so-called journalist has been for many many years treating his beat as an exercise in creative writing,,,,,,,and no one ever figured it out......which can only mean that no one gave a ****.

"Journalists as truth tellers you say? No no one has seen anyone like that in ages, the people who call themselves journalists these days are on a completely different project, one where the appearance of truth tends to happen by accident and sometime not all that frequently.".

Last edited:

The OP shows why many people no longer accept at face value such claims.

Like lots of other people, I immediately think: Is it another fabrication aimed at getting sympathy?

It is very sad that some people who indulge in such fabrications only set their cause back.

The boy who cried wolf too often.

So they were concerned for her safety. Why have to ask for ID? Why didn't they just advise her and drive away?

Why is the OP posting something from 2015?

I won't comment on her written article, but it very much seems to me the cops intentionally decided to check her out, and I.D. her. For no reason, that I can see. I'd be a bit pissed, myself.

And prohibited by SCOTUS but I guess the right gets to selectively observe the law. YES...the right.

No life. limb or property was threatened and thus to stop and ask for ID is harassment.

She had a much or greater right to feel threatened with two armed white men, then police do when confronting

an unarmed black man.

The lady's position as dean of journalism at North Texas is not relevant. The lady was not flailing her arms above her head. She was quite clearly exercising while walking down a neighborhood street. I don't know why it should matter that the neighborhood was affluent.

How many cars passed by while the cops were talking to the lady in the video? I saw none. It wasn't a busy street by any definition.

The lady was not "caught" doing anything wrong. As a white guy who walks all the time. I've walked in cities and towns all over US and beyond. I have never been stopped or "caught" by the police. I'm not aware of any of my friends being stopped or "caught" while walking.

Not being a black lady I can't say why the lady decided not to walk on the sidewalk. Could be a safety issue, previous experience or sidewalk obstruction at points along the way. That happens. On certain routes I prefer the street to the sidewalk. It depends. Often stroller people (moms with babies) and people on bicycles are on the sidewalk.

Lately I've been seeing old couples walking and holding hands. What's up with that? There must have been a memo in a church bulletin somewhere. Suddenly, old ones walking and holding hands are now trendy. Often they meander on the sidewalk and if you are trying to maintain a pace the hand holding ones can be an obstruction.

I do walk facing traffic. I believe the lady may have been wise to walking facing traffic. Cell phones are killers these days. Car drivers on cell phones will run you over even if you are in a car in your own lane. Neighborhoods are dangerous as people thoughtlessly drive without paying attention on a familiar streets. I want to see those sumbitches as they are heading toward me. I walk facing traffic.

IMHO the women in the OP probably should walk facing traffic. Good advice from the cops.

The manner in which the cops handled it was culturally insensitive and probably a bit intimidating to a little black lady out for a walk. In my opinion the cops could have handled, should have handled it differently. More than that - and telling - is that they asked her for identification. No can do.

It appears to me the author of the 4 year old article is a white guy whose blog has a number of articles about black people from a white perspective.

edited to stay within character limit

https://leesomniac.wordpress.com/20...o-lie-like-dorothy-bland-hurt-race-relations/

Your op is filled with lies

flailing her arms around above her head, and acting oblivious to traffic

She was not flailing her arms, nor was she acting oblivious to traffic. She was exercising her arms while walking.

She was wearing a hood, as it was apparently lightly raining, which from behind would make it difficult to determine her race.

According to a statement issued by the police:
Ms. Bland had been observed earlier by these same officers, but she was not in the street and impeding traffic, so she was not contacted.

Therefore, it may be that the police already knew she was black from their previous observation of her. It was, at best, misleading for the op to state that the events depicted in the video show the difficulty the police would have had in identifying her race.

A police cruiser followed her shortly, then stopped, and the 2 officers politely informed her that she should be walking on the other side(or the sidewalk), and that her seemingly oblivious manner of walking

The police said nothing about her walking in an oblivious manner

As always, they asked her for her ID, and immediately she began commenting about how she was being treated unfairly etc

This is a flat out lie. She did not immediately, or ever, comment about being treated unfairly. She told the police she did not have any ID on her but they could ask a neighbor to ID her.

she fabricated claims that she was suddenly startled by "lights and sirens" from the police car

The video cannot be used to determine if the police used their lights or their siren.

She said the officers were "threatening"

Another flat out lie. She never said the officers were threatening.

they compared her to a dog,

Another flat out lie

While one officer is radioing in, she talks to the other office and mentions that she does not like to walk in the rain. The officer responds that his dog does not like to walk in the rain either. Here is what she said in her article
I guess I was simply a brown face in an affluent neighborhood. I told the police I didn’t like to walk in the rain, and one of them told me, “My dog doesn’t like to walk in the rain.” Ouch!

Nowhere does she say they compared her to a dog.

the footage, which literally contradicted every claim she made!

The footage does not contradict anything she said.

she said that she didn't want to be in the public eye

Another flat out lie. She never said that

Last edited:

And prohibited by SCOTUS but I guess the right gets to selectively observe the law. YES...the right.

No life. limb or property was threatened and thus to stop and ask for ID is harassment.

She had a much or greater right to feel threatened with two armed white men, then police do when confronting

an unarmed black man.
I don't know about the bolded, but I do agree with the rest.

Why is the OP posting something from 2015?

B/c it's a slow news day in the maga media complex. Since Trump is forking up the border wall in every possible way imaginable, they need a distraction!!!!!!!

They intentionally checked her out because she was walking in the street (illegal) not on the sidewalk while flailing her arms. People on drugs to that and get themselves hurt. I gather you won't comment on the article because the video proves she was completely lying in the article.

So they were concerned for her safety. Why have to ask for ID? Why didn't they just advise her and drive away?

Police ask everyone for an ID in the event that later their is reason to know. Thus they want it in their police report.

They intentionally checked her out because she was walking in the street (illegal) not on the sidewalk while flailing her arms. People on drugs to that and get themselves hurt. I gather you won't comment on the article because the video proves she was completely lying in the article.
I haven't much to say about her penning her articles, but it does seem to me the cops hassled her. Minor league, but still. It's clear to me their interest was in I.D.'ing her & running her (for warrants). Trouble is, we now put up with this crap as it being fine.

And she was walking "illegally"? Jeezus, cry me a river.

Back
Top Bottom