• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dean: Cheney may have broken law

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Relax, this has nothing to do with Cheney shooting a fellow hunter. This is a tad bit more serious, it has to do with the ordering of a top aide to leak classified information to the media of which the r-wingers on this forum should be properly outraged I'm sure.

Right guys?







Dean: Cheney may have broken law

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean said Monday that Vice President Cheney should resign if he ordered a top aide to leak classified information to the media to defend the invasion of Iraq.

On CNN's "American Morning" program, Dean repeated calls he first made Sunday, saying Cheney may have broken the law if he ordered his former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, to share secret information with reporters in 2003.

"If Vice President Cheney has, in fact, ordered the leaking of political information -- of intelligence information, that means he has to step aside," Dean said on CNN. "We don't know if it's true, but he has been accused of it. If it's true, he has to step aside."

On Sunday, Democratic and Republican senators said Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald should investigate Cheney and others in the CIA leak probe if they authorized Libby to give secret information to reporters.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-Rhode Island, called the leak of intelligence information "inappropriate" if it is true, and said, "I think he [Fitzgerald] has to look closely at their behavior."

Sen. George Allen, R-Virginia, said a full investigation is necessary. "I don't think anybody should be releasing classified information, period, whether in the Congress, executive branch or some underling in some bureaucracy," said Allen, who appeared with Reed on "Fox News Sunday."

According to published reports last week, Libby told a federal grand jury that he disclosed in July 2003 the contents of a classified National Intelligence Estimate as part of the Bush administration's defense of intelligence used to justify invading Iraq.

Fitzgerald said in the documents it was his understanding that "Mr. Libby testified that he was authorized to disclose information about the NIE to the press by his superiors."

The White House has refused to comment on the case.

Libby, 55, was indicted last year on charges that he lied to FBI agents and the grand jury about how he learned CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity and when he told reporters. He is not charged with leaking classified information...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/13/cialeak.dean.ap/index.html
 

Conflict

Banned
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
745
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
KidRocks said:
Relax, this has nothing to do with Cheney shooting a fellow hunter. This is a tad bit more serious, it has to do with the ordering of a top aide to leak classified information to the media of which the r-wingers on this forum should be properly outraged I'm sure.

Right guys?







Dean: Cheney may have broken law

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean said Monday that Vice President Cheney should resign if he ordered a top aide to leak classified information to the media to defend the invasion of Iraq.

On CNN's "American Morning" program, Dean repeated calls he first made Sunday, saying Cheney may have broken the law if he ordered his former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, to share secret information with reporters in 2003.

"If Vice President Cheney has, in fact, ordered the leaking of political information -- of intelligence information, that means he has to step aside," Dean said on CNN. "We don't know if it's true, but he has been accused of it. If it's true, he has to step aside."

On Sunday, Democratic and Republican senators said Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald should investigate Cheney and others in the CIA leak probe if they authorized Libby to give secret information to reporters.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-Rhode Island, called the leak of intelligence information "inappropriate" if it is true, and said, "I think he [Fitzgerald] has to look closely at their behavior."

Sen. George Allen, R-Virginia, said a full investigation is necessary. "I don't think anybody should be releasing classified information, period, whether in the Congress, executive branch or some underling in some bureaucracy," said Allen, who appeared with Reed on "Fox News Sunday."

According to published reports last week, Libby told a federal grand jury that he disclosed in July 2003 the contents of a classified National Intelligence Estimate as part of the Bush administration's defense of intelligence used to justify invading Iraq.

Fitzgerald said in the documents it was his understanding that "Mr. Libby testified that he was authorized to disclose information about the NIE to the press by his superiors."

The White House has refused to comment on the case.

Libby, 55, was indicted last year on charges that he lied to FBI agents and the grand jury about how he learned CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity and when he told reporters. He is not charged with leaking classified information...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/13/cialeak.dean.ap/index.html

Cheney could not even pass the required physical for executive duty... let alone be a standard marksman.

Regardless of these facts... the evidence points towards cheney in more ways then one... money laundering, extortion, racketeering, fraud, ... you name any type of financial law that exists... Cheney's broken it. Not just Halliburton either for all of you PNAC apologists......

It's such a sad day when those who call themselves conservatives to our government become the high profile criminals of sadistic megalomania.

We need to send Cheney to a nursing home, Bush needs to be in the Ward... and Clinton needs Carnal therapy.

What is the state of our union? It's bad. Real bad.
 

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Conflict said:
Cheney could not even pass the required physical for executive duty... let alone be a standard marksman.

Regardless of these facts... the evidence points towards cheney in more ways then one... money laundering, extortion, racketeering, fraud, ... you name any type of financial law that exists... Cheney's broken it. Not just Halliburton either for all of you PNAC apologists......

It's such a sad day when those who call themselves conservatives to our government become the high profile criminals of sadistic megalomania.

We need to send Cheney to a nursing home, Bush needs to be in the Ward... and Clinton needs Carnal therapy.

What is the state of our union? It's bad. Real bad
.



That part in bold is rich, so rich.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment on the state of our union and I do not see the Democrats to be much of an alternative.

Buffoons, most of all the current crop of politicians on both sides!
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Conflict said:
Cheney could not even pass the required physical for executive duty... let alone be a standard marksman.

Regardless of these facts... the evidence points towards cheney in more ways then one... money laundering, extortion, racketeering, fraud, ... you name any type of financial law that exists... Cheney's broken it. Not just Halliburton either for all of you PNAC apologists......

It's such a sad day when those who call themselves conservatives to our government become the high profile criminals of sadistic megalomania.

We need to send Cheney to a nursing home, Bush needs to be in the Ward... and Clinton needs Carnal therapy.

What is the state of our union? It's bad. Real bad.

There's some sort of physical test for executive service?

Also you've got a laundry list of charges against the Vice President of the US, got any actual evidence to back those up?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I actually heard and EX Senator on Hardball last night (his name escapes me)
say that Cheney is and excellent marksman and hunter and that it was likely the guy that got shot own fault in that he was in a place where he should not be.....
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
Navy Pride said:
I actually heard and EX Senator on Hardball last night (his name escapes me)
say that Cheney is and excellent marksman and hunter and that it was likely the guy that got shot own fault in that he was in a place where he should not be.....


Sorry I disagree with you. The NRA also disagrees with you:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

It is the responsibility of the shooter to be absolutely certain he is shooting in a safe direction. It is not the responsibility of your hunting partner to ensure you don't shot them, it yours.
 

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
22,919
Reaction score
13,245
Location
Wisconsin
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
I don't know what's worse. Mr. Cheny's hunting negligence or his apologists making excuses for him.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Pacridge said:
Sorry I disagree with you. The NRA also disagrees with you:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

It is the responsibility of the shooter to be absolutely certain he is shooting in a safe direction. It is not the responsibility of your hunting partner to ensure you don't shot them, it yours.

That is just it........From what I heard on Hardball last night the person that was shot was in the wrong place........No one in the hunting party knew he was there.............

Even in war time there are Friendly fire casualties all the time and they are not always the fault of the shooter.........
 

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
5,293
Reaction score
3,001
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
"The state's report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney."

"Katharine Armstrong, owner of the ranch where the shooting occurred, said ... Whittington made a mistake by not announcing that he had walked up to rejoin the hunting line, and Cheney didn't see him as he tried to down a bird."

"Several hunting safety experts interviewed agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself. But every expert stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060214/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident_53
 
Top Bottom