• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Daily Show's Survival

Will the Daily Show survive?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Well I figured that this was going to be brought up eventually and it only took two days. Do you think The Daily Show will still be popular in Obama's presidency. This may be a consolation prize for some of you if the Daily Show is canceled or at the very least Stewart is replaced.

Can 'The Daily Show' survive Barack Obama? - Daniel Libit - Politico.com

Last edited:
I think it was beginning to get stale anyway.Obama is gonna have to pick up a few quirks.

It will do well and be around for a while.

anyone that would have to ask about it, sounds like they don't watch the daily show. they routinely rip on Obama, Biden, etc ... as well as liberals and Democrats in general.

and even if they didn't, there's still going to be the hysteric reaction to whatever Obama does.

Last edited:
Well I figured that this was going to be brought up eventually and it only took two days. Do you think The Daily Show will still be popular in Obama's presidency. This may be a consolation prize for some of you if the Daily Show is canceled or at the very least Stewart is replaced.

Can 'The Daily Show' survive Barack Obama? - Daniel Libit - Politico.com

Oh the Daily Show should survive.

Obama provides perfect fodder for comedy. Things that make us nervous also provide great comedic material.

There's a point where charisma becomes ominous. That place where well liked and adored morphs into worship.

How can that not make us nervous? The Daily Show will be fine.

Well they are going to have to come up with some new material, but they'll be fine. They are going to miss Bush/Cheney more than they realize here in a few months. :2razz:

Sure, I can't wait to see what he does with the new administration. I don't see John Stewart as the kind of guy who will hold back on anyone or anything.

Yeah, 'coz he's unloaded on Obama so far.

It'll survive with no problems.

The reason fake-news-shows like Half-Hour Comedy Hour didnt survive was because they only attacked Democrats/Liberals.

The Daily Show makes fun of everybody.

Well they are going to have to come up with some new material, but they'll be fine. They are going to miss Bush/Cheney more than they realize here in a few months. :2razz:

Leno and Letterman will have to hire more writers....I think it was Leno who said he should be paying Bush for providing material,

The Media showed bias towards Barack and influenced Barack to win because Barack is a much easier target to make fun of and blame for things than McCain is. The Media will be the first to turn against Obama. That's the formula. Elect an easy target, easy target wins, Media makes money hand over fist talking about how awful the person they elected is and we're all going to eat it up once again, especially those who support Obama and wanted to give Marxism a chance.

The Media showed bias towards Barack and influenced Barack to win because Barack is a much easier target to make fun of and blame for things than McCain is. The Media will be the first to turn against Obama. That's the formula. Elect an easy target, easy target wins, Media makes money hand over fist talking about how awful the person they elected is and we're all going to eat it up once again, especially those who support Obama and wanted to give Marxism a chance.

Jon Stewart is a Marxist? :confused:

he was talking about that last night. and then he tried to imitate Obama, but it came out sounding like his imitation of Bush, but saying something generic that Obama would say. it was pretty funny.

he was talking about that last night. and then he tried to imitate Obama, but it came out sounding like his imitation of Bush, but saying something generic that Obama would say. it was pretty funny.

Yeah, he's going to need to work on that. It was pretty bad.

I rather enjoyed yesterday when they had a clip of Obama going "And I want to thank my best friend, my confidant for 16 years, the person that got me through all the hardest times".

...BILL AYERS! ::Crowd laughs::

And then John Stewart goes in a little high pitch voice "How are we ever going to surviveee" and then started dancing

Of course the Daily Show will survive.. the GOP is still around.

here's an excerpt of a recent interview with a daily show writer:

Q. Are the results of Tuesday's election a mixed blessing for the "Daily Show" writing staff?

A. It's probably no secret where our politics lie; we are in show business, after all. We're not unhappy with the results of last night [Tuesday]. We haven't sat around thinking, "What are we going to do, comedically, if Obama wins?" There's going to be plenty going on around him. Plus, Ted Stevens may have won in Alaska. Proposition 8 passed in California. We don't need a semiconscious president to put on a decent show.

Q. And how do you do that?

A. We look for stuff, but we don't create it. Something has to happen for us to make fun of. Unlike the actual news, what we say is based in fact. It's going to be fun watching Fox News rapidly lose their balance. We may have a thing or 200 to say about that. We did a bit on the show about "So many people are happy about what happened, but we're forgetting about old racists, who thought they would be able to die without seeing this day." That bit comes from a genuine place.

Q. Have comedy writers figured out a way to make fun of Barack Obama yet?

A. Well, his name is Barack Obama. It's kind of inherently comical. We can work around a personality, but we don't really know so much yet what his quirks are going to be. He's good at speaking, so he's less likely to say something stupid. But he'll have plenty of people around him to take care of that. I mean, it's going to be a Democratic administration with a Democratically controlled Congress. If anything, we might have to start doing two shows a day.

I find it awkward that there are people who hold John Stewart to the same standard as real news networks. How are MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC, BBC and every other 'C' outlet going to survive without anything bad to say about the president? The same way they have for the last 30-40 years.

Back
Top Bottom