• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Criminal Charges / Prosecutions January 6 and Investigations

More..
@JordanOnRecord
Jurors now hearing this recording Jackson made of his father, Guy Reffitt, in their home after the riot.
….At the time of the recording, Reffitt was showing video from his helmet camera and narrating over it.
…."I lit the fire," Reffitt says.
….Reffitt's wife, Nicole, suggested Reffitt shouldn't be talking openly about his actions on Jan. 6. Reffitt responded that he was in the security of his own home.
…."I was willing to die when I was there," Reffitt says. "I was willing to die."
….Reffitt can be heard narrating: "And this is where I turned my camera back on before going on up to the insurrection, I guess I'll call it."
….Court taking a 10-minute break.
….First audio clip back from break is Guy Reffitt's wife, Nicole: "We have to have a moment of sadness because Dad didn't get a video of him storming the Capitol."
…."I'm fine with it. I had a good time. I had a really epic point in my life," Guy Reffitt says. "I felt so patriotic and felt like an American... I felt so good."
…."Honestly, the sixth, and the fun I had all day... I had a great time," Guy Reffitt can be heard saying. Says if he took off his clothes his family would see bruises "all up and down my leg."
…."People were constantly coming up to me and saying, 'You're such a f***ing patriot! You lit the fire!'" Guy Reffitt says. "I went up there to take on the Capitol Police like nobody else was doing."
….Jurors have heard Guy Reffitt describe himself as having "stormed the Capitol" multiple times now.
….He says he told others "we have to move forward" and pushed people out of the way so he could get to the front and lead the charge.
….Guy Reffitt now describing USCP Officer Shauni Kerkhoff, says he told her, "I'm not stopping!" Then she shot him with pepperballs but they didn't stop him.
…."There was no reason for me to give up, because I had come so far to do what we needed to do," Reffitt says.
1646611357102.png

New Jan. 6 Footage Shows Capitol Rioter Threatening To 'Cut Their Head Off'

Newly released video from the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack shows a Texas man ranting about a “stolen” presidential election and calling for elected officials to be publicly killed.

“Cut their head off!” he yells at one point.

Its release by the Justice Department came just hours after top Republican Party officials issued a resolution on Friday stating that the people who mobbed the Capitol had engaged in “legitimate political discourse.”

The man in the video, Ryan Nichols, was arrested in the days after the attack and pleaded guilty to all of the charges against him, which include assault with a crowbar and pepper spray. His case is still pending in federal court.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capit...b0f8a1b8451dd5

Pure trailer trash. Whatever time he gets, it won't be enough.

D.C. police officer’s suicide after Jan. 6 riot declared line-of-duty death​

The Police and Firefighters’ Retirement and Relief Board found that injuries Officer Jeffrey Smith sustained Jan. 6, 2021, were "the sole and direct cause” of his suicide nine days later.

WASHINGTON — The death of a Washington police officer who died by suicide just days after he was assaulted during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has been ruled a line-of-duty death, a finding that makes his widow eligible for enhanced survivor benefits.

“Based on evidence submitted by the petitioner and the Department, we find that Officer Smith sustained a personal injury on January 6, 2021, while performing his duties and that his injury was the sole and direct cause of his death,” the D.C. Police and Firefighters’ Retirement and Relief Board wrote in a letter obtained by NBC News on Wednesday.

Metropolitan Police Officer Jeffrey Smith died on Jan. 15.

Smith, according to his widow, described Jan. 6, 2021, as the worst day of his life. After her husband’s death, Erin Smith found out she had lost her medical benefits through his job while she was standing at a pharmacy counter.

Smith later said her late husband was "just not his normal self" after Jan. 6.

A former D.C. chief medical examiner said in an earlier review that there was “a direct cause and effect relationship between the line of duty work trauma on Jan. 6 and Jeffrey Smith’s death,” adding that Smith had “no prior history of depression, mental health issues or mental health treatment.”

Roger Stone's potential Jan. 6 swan song -- and what it means for Trump

On Wednesday, Joshua James, the leader of the Alabama Chapter of Oath Keepers, pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy and obstruction of Congress for trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after the 2020 election. The Oath Keepers — a group of anti-government extremists — were among those who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. As part of his guilty plea, James agreed to cooperate with prosecutors, including providing testimony to a grand jury

After the Jan. 6 protest turned into a bloody riot, however, Stone evidently panicked. As a violent mob ransacked the Capitol, he packed his bags and reportedly told an aide, “I really want to get out of here” adding that he thought the riot would be “really bad for the movement.”

After the riot, he lobbied Trump to enact the “Stone Plan” — a blanket pardon to shield himself and Trump’s allies in Congress from prosecution for any efforts to overturn the election more generally. Stone had good reason to think Trump would offer such a pardon. After all, Trump pardoned him after he was indicted (and convicted) on charges of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction of justice. What’s one more pardon between friends?

But according to The Washington Post, White House counsel Pat Cipollone “thwarted” the Stone Plan, prompting Stone to write to an associate: “See you in prison.”

This ****en bitch needs to be disbarred:

Sidney Powell Has Secretly Been Funding The Legal Defense Of The Oath Keepers​

As the government’s prosecutions of members of the Oath Keepers — by most measures, the most significant of any to come out of the Jan. 6 insurrection — move toward trial, defense lawyers face a daunting task: overcoming more than 2 terabytes of evidence arrayed against their clients, including countless hours of video footage from within the Capitol itself.

Some of those lawyers, it appears, are getting outside help.

A nonprofit founded by Sidney Powell — the former attorney for president Donald Trump who has repeatedly attempted to reverse the results of the 2020 election — has been covering the full legal expenses of at least one and potentially multiple defendants in the high-profile case, BuzzFeed News has learned.

Since October, the organization, Defending the Republic, has been making monthly payments to the defense attorney for Kelly Meggs, a member of the militant group the Oath Keepers who is charged with seditious conspiracy for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. In an interview, the attorney, Jonathon Moseley, said he was aware of “at least three or four other defendants who have that arrangement” as well. The Oath Keepers’ general counsel, Kellye SoRelle, said that one of those others is the group’s founder, Stewart Rhodes. Offered the chance to deny that, his lawyers said they don’t discuss funding.

This ****en bitch needs to be disbarred:

Sidney Powell Has Secretly Been Funding The Legal Defense Of The Oath Keepers​

As the government’s prosecutions of members of the Oath Keepers — by most measures, the most significant of any to come out of the Jan. 6 insurrection — move toward trial, defense lawyers face a daunting task: overcoming more than 2 terabytes of evidence arrayed against their clients, including countless hours of video footage from within the Capitol itself.

Some of those lawyers, it appears, are getting outside help.

A nonprofit founded by Sidney Powell — the former attorney for president Donald Trump who has repeatedly attempted to reverse the results of the 2020 election — has been covering the full legal expenses of at least one and potentially multiple defendants in the high-profile case, BuzzFeed News has learned.

Since October, the organization, Defending the Republic, has been making monthly payments to the defense attorney for Kelly Meggs, a member of the militant group the Oath Keepers who is charged with seditious conspiracy for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. In an interview, the attorney, Jonathon Moseley, said he was aware of “at least three or four other defendants who have that arrangement” as well. The Oath Keepers’ general counsel, Kellye SoRelle, said that one of those others is the group’s founder, Stewart Rhodes. Offered the chance to deny that, his lawyers said they don’t discuss funding.

1647286173525.png

1/6 committee: Evidence Trump engaged in 'criminal conspiracy,' may have broken laws​

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack said Wednesday it has evidence that former President Donald Trump and some of his associates may have illegally tried to obstruct Congress' count of electoral votes and "engaged in a criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States" in their efforts to overturn the 2020 election results.

The committee argued in a federal court filing Wednesday that Trump may have committed two crimes as it challenged a bid by former Trump lawyer John Eastman to block investigators from obtaining thousands of pages of emails.

The panel argued that the records should not be protected by attorney-client privilege under the crime fraud exception, given that Eastman's legal advice may have helped Trump commit multiple crimes.

"The facts we've gathered strongly suggest that Dr. Eastman's emails may show that he helped Donald Trump advance a corrupt scheme to obstruct the counting of electoral college ballots and a conspiracy to impede the transfer of power," Reps. Bennie Thompson, D-Mississippi, and Liz Cheney, R-Wyoming, the leaders of the panel, said in a statement.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...y-have-broken-laws/ar-AAUxFTa?ocid=uxbndlbing

Jan. 6 trial centers on lingering mystery: Where was Mike Pence as riot raged?​

Prosecutors say that Secret Service witnesses will refuse to disclose Pence’s precise location because it could jeopardize national security protocols for the current vice president Kamala Harris.

Where precisely was Mike Pence while a mob descended on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021?

A defendant set to face just the second trial in the nearly 15 months since the attack intends to make that question the centerpiece of his defense Monday. And the judge in the case just gave him the green light to grill the Secret Service about it.

Much more at link: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/18/jan-6-trial-where-was-mike-pence-capitol-riot-00018502

Proud Boys, Oath Keepers Meeting Caught on Tape Prior to Jan. 6

Film Crew Recorded Illicit Pre-Insurrection Meeting Between Proud Boys and Oath Keepers: Court Document

A documentary team picked up audio of attendees of the extremist meetup discussing the Capitol, per a new court filing

A documentary film crew attended an illicit, parking-garage meetup between the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers in downtown Washington, D.C., on Jan. 5, 2021, according to a memo filed by prosecutors seeking to keep Enrique Tarrio locked up pending trial.

Tarrio was the National Chairman of the Proud Boys during the events of Jan. 6, 2021. The Proud Boys are a violent “Western chauvinist” organization designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group. Tarrio faces federal conspiracy charges for attempting to obstruct Congress’ certification of Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory over Donald Trump.

On Monday, federal prosecutors filed a memo arguing that Tarrio should be denied bail because he poses a “danger to the community” and also presents “a serious risk of flight and of obstructing justice.”

The 21-page memo lays out a detailed recap of the evidence against Tarrio, who is alleged to have organized and directed an undercover Proud Boys subgroup called the Ministry of Self Defense, or MOSD, whose members went on to storm the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

Tarrio “spearheaded” the conspiracy, the memo alleges. ....government lawyers leave little doubt that they have a rich trove of evidence against Tarrio — who allegedly bragged after the events of Jan. 6 of the Proud Boys’ involvement. “Make no mistake…we did this,” Tarrio wrote, telling his top deputies that the next step was to “do it again.”

Guilty: Cowboys for Trump' founder Couy Griffin convicted in the second January 6 trial​

A federal judge found "Cowboys for Trump" leader Couy Griffin guilty of a misdemeanor charge connected to the Capitol attack, handing the Justice Department a victory in the second trial stemming from the insurrection on January 6, 2021.

Judge Trevor McFadden handed down the verdict Tuesday after federal prosecutors presented video footage showing Griffin, a New Mexico county commissioner, climbing a bike ramp and ascending a makeshift plywood ramp on his approach to the Capitol.

Griffin faces up to a year in prison on the misdemeanor charge of trespassing on restricted Capitol grounds.

McFadden acquitted Griffin on a separate disorderly conduct charge, which also carried a maximum sentence of a year in prison.

Back
Top Bottom