• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Criminal Charges / Prosecutions January 6 and Investigations

Heaven help us !!!

Donald Trump Salutes Jan. 6 'Hostages' at Ohio Rally​

Former President Donald Trump saluted January 6, 2021, Capitol rioters at a rally in Dayton, Ohio, on Saturday.
(snipped)

"Please rise for the horribly and unfairly treated January 6 hostages," an announcer said. Trump then saluted and the crowd stood as the "J6 Hostages' Song," a rendition of the National Anthem, played. The song, "Justice for All" by the J6 Prison Choir, features the voice of Trump reciting the pledge of allegiance.
(snipped)

Trump then opened his speech by thanking the rioters and calling them "unbelievable patriots." "Thank you very much, and you see the spirit from the hostages, and that's what they are—hostages," he said.
(snipped)

More than 1,265 individuals—including Trump himself—have been charged by the Department of Justice (DOJ) for their alleged involvement in the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol, with many already convicted and serving sentences.

Read more: https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-salutes-jan-6-hostages-national-anthem-plays-1880028
I can understand Trump calling those in jail for Jan 6 “political prisoners,” that is, someone confined for a political criminal act, but what is the logic in calling them “hostages”? Hostages are defined as those held so some condition can be met.

I can understand Trump calling those in jail for Jan 6 “political prisoners,” that is, someone confined for a political criminal act, but what is the logic in calling them “hostages”? Hostages are defined as those held so some condition can be met.
If you're looking for logic, don't look to the Trump camp. Their goal is to inflame anger and raise money. You know, like grifters.

RFK Jr. campaign says Jan. 6 'activists' have been 'stripped of their Constitutional liberties'​

April 4, 2024, 3:04 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — The campaign of independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is out with a fundraising email referring to Jan. 6 defendants as "activists" who have been "stripped of their Constitutional liberties," echoing former President Donald Trump's rhetoric about the 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

In the appeal sent to supporters Thursday signed by "Team Kennedy," the campaign called for the exoneration of "political prisoner Julian Assange," the founder of WikiLeaks, suggesting he and Jan. 6 defendants are victims of prosecutorial abuse.

"This is the reality that every American Citizen faces — from Ed Snowden, to Julian Assange to the J6 activists sitting in a Washington DC jail cell stripped of their Constitutional liberties. Please help our campaign call out the illiberal actions of our very own government," the fundraising email read.

A British court is currently considering whether to extradite Assange — who is an Australian, not American citizen — to the United States. Snowden, the former National Security Agency employee who leaked national security secrets, is living in exile in Russia.

Read more: https

Calling them hostages is so beyond stupid it hurts my head. It’s exceedingly painful coming on the heels of October 7th when there are high profile ACTUAL hostages

RFK Jr. campaign says Jan. 6 'activists' have been 'stripped of their Constitutional liberties'​

April 4, 2024, 3:04 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — The campaign of independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is out with a fundraising email referring to Jan. 6 defendants as "activists" who have been "stripped of their Constitutional liberties," echoing former President Donald Trump's rhetoric about the 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Calling them “activists” is stupid, but I have no issue with RFK calling out possible liberty problems. Actually, I’d compliment him on at least being consistent. He’s been outspoken against aspects of the criminal justice system for a while, and it would be inconsistent to simply ignore those issues as it relates to J6 guys.

I’m no fan of J6ers, but they do deserve to have their civil rights protected as much as any other citizen.

Calling them “activists” is stupid, but I have no issue with RFK calling out possible liberty problems. Actually, I’d compliment him on at least being consistent. He’s been outspoken against aspects of the criminal justice system for a while, and it would be inconsistent to simply ignore those issues as it relates to J6 guys.

I’m no fan of J6ers, but they do deserve to have their civil rights protected as much as any other citizen.

"Constitutional liberties" does not include attacking officers or trying to stop the peaceful transition of power.

He is just echoing the orange one's words and then even tried to walk back the email. I doubt he even realized what he was saying while fundraising to lure the orange one's supporters

RFK Jr. campaign walks back fundraising emails that said January 6 defendants were stripped of constitutional liberties​

"Constitutional liberties" does not include attacking officers or trying to stop the peaceful transition of power.

What? Of course constitutional liberties don’t include that…but those actions don’t exclude you from being granted your constitutional liberties. Just like selling drugs, or insider trading, or robbery, or illegal gun possession, or prostitution, or any other number of crimes don’t exclude you from your civil liberties.

Based on your response, I’m beginning to understand why RFK Jrs comments maybe bothered you, because you don’t seem to have a comprehension for what constitutional liberties are within the judicial system.

Jan. 6 rioter who claimed everyone was 'peaceful' actually threw pipes, lawn chairs at Capitol police officers: Feds​

April 14, 2024

More than three years since the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, the FBI on Thursday arrested a 53-year-old Virginia man who allegedly assaulted police officers.

Darl McDorman is facing charges of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers using a dangerous weapon, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon, and engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon. He’s also charged with disorderly conduct and act of physical violence in Capitol grounds.

During a scuffle between rioters and Capitol police officers, McDorman allegedly threw multiple objects at cops including metal pipes. He then picked up a wooded flagpole and repeatedly hit the officers with it, feds said.

Several minutes later, officers were trying to clear the lower west terrace of rioters when McDorman allegedly picked up a folded lawn chair and hurled it at them. He also is accused of chucking a police barrier at officers.

Read more: https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol...-lawn-chairs-at-capitol-police-officers-feds/

Storm the Capitol!’ 4 knife-carrying ‘Three Percenters’ in tactical gear get prison time for Jan. 6 riots​

Four knife-carrying ‘Three Percenters’ in tactical gear who bragged about storming the Capitol were sentenced to prison for their roles in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.

Erik Scott Warner, 48, was sentenced to 27 months; Felipe Antonio Martinez, 50, was sentenced to 21 months. Derek Kinnison, 42, was sentenced to 33 months; Ronald Mele, 54, was sentenced to 33 months. Each was ordered to pay $2,000 restitution and complete 36 months of supervised release.

More:

Former Navy interpreter sentenced to 28 months in prison for assaulting police on Jan. 6​

WASHINGTON — A federal judge sentenced a former U.S. Navy interpreter to more than two years in prison Tuesday for assaulting police during the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Matthew DaSilva, 51, of Collin County, Texas, was sentenced to 28 months in prison on two felony counts of civil disorder and assaulting, resisting or impeding police. He will receive credit for nine months already spent in jail since his conviction in July.

Prosecutors sought 52 months, or more than four years, in prison for DaSilva, who worked with other rioters to blockade a door to prevent police from entering the West Plaza of the U.S. Capitol. DaSilva then made his way to the Lower West Terrace, where he stayed for more than two hours amid some of the worst mob violence against police. DaSilva himself was convicted of joining the mob’s assault on police who were defending the Lower West Terrace Tunnel. In their sentencing memo, prosecutors said DaSilva used his full bodyweight to push against a riot shield and crush a DC Police officer. They said he also attempted to pull the shield away from another officer –knocking them off balance and leaving them exposed to a desk drawer thrown by another rioter, which hit them in the head.

Read more: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...texas/65-adbc55f0-8e0c-4fa6-b465-b04106896df7

‘I am not comfortable winging this’: Jan. 6 rioter who assaulted cops with metal whip has sentencing go haywire after judge wants to add enhancement not in plea agreement

Apr 25th, 2024, 6:52 pm

A sentencing hearing broke down this week over a disagreement about a sentencing enhancement for a self-employed handyman from Texas who admitted to using a metal whip and unloading a can of bear spray on officers during the riots at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

The hearing for Andrew Quentin Taake, 35, was delayed when his lawyer disputed the judge adding an enhancement to his client’s punishment for inflicting bodily injury on an officer based on an officer’s testimony he was injured by bear spray. The new enhancement would bring Taake’s sentencing range to between 87 and 108 months — or seven and nine years. That’s more than the 78 months — or 6.5 years — that prosecutors sought and was not in the plea agreement which listed the guidelines at between 46 and 57 months.

Washington CBS affiliate WUSA reported that Taake’s lawyer, Michael Lawlor, said that in his 27 years as an attorney, he had never heard of a judge applying guidelines that differed from what was spelled out, Washington CBS affiliate WUSA reported. “I can count on one hand — not even one hand — the number of times a judge has come in and said, ‘I’m going to apply a different guidelines calculation and this is the first time you’re hearing about it,'” Lawlor said, the outlet reported. “This is the only time it has happened.”

U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols, a Donald Trump appointee, said the enhancement should apply in this case, according to the outlet. “Based on the government’s brief and the victim impact statement it’s as clear as day to me that the sentencing enhancement applies here,” Nichols said, WUSA reported.

Read more: https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...nts-to-add-enhancement-not-in-plea-agreement/

Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but though I know that under the law some Jan 6 demonstrators deserve punishment, but I still sort of feel sorry for them, and temained puzzled by their actions. I have to assume that most were somewhat aware politically, that they read and viewed the news. But what motivated them to take such extreme action to try to prevent the House from certifying Biden’s election?

Decades ago, someone taunted Richard Nixon with the phrase “would you buy a used car from this man?” In this case, why did people by a “used claim” of election rigging from Trump? Four years earlier, true to his years long pattern, Trump had claimed the election was rigged after he had won, and we went through a useless exercise with a committee that disbanded without writing a report. What possessed people who followed politics, who had to be somewhat aware of Trump’s record, to believe in Trump so much that they were willing to break the law for him, even as he had offered them no proof that the election was rigged?

Back
Top Bottom