• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cops tase 11 year old

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Cincinnati cops use Taser on 11-year-old girl caught stealing from Kroger supermarket

kroger-d12d5338-f56c-4844-a1c1-34ced92d0546-large16x9-kj12kenardkroger-frame-1795.png

8/8/18
Cincinnati police officers used a Taser on an 11-year-old girl accused of stealing from a supermarket. Officers approached the girl on Monday night after suspecting she was using a backpack to shoplift items from the Kroger store. The girl resisted and fled, according to cops, before she was shocked with the stun gun. The girl, who was taken to a hospital and released to a guardian, was charged with theft and obstruction of justice. Tasers can be used on people who are 7 and older, according to department guidelines, but Police Chief Eliot Isaac has launched an investigation. “We are extremely concerned when force is used by one of our officers on a child of this age," Isaac said in a statement. "As a result, we will be taking a very thorough review of our policies as it relates to using force on juveniles as well as the propriety of the officer's actions.” Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman told the Cincinnati Enquirer that "it's hard to understand why an 11-year-old would be tased," and also called for an investigation. "We're still waiting on bits and pieces of information but I can see no reason, I have a 12-year-old daughter, but I can see no reason why an 11-year-old child would be tasered given the circumstances for shoplifting," Councilman Jeff Pastor told WLWT.

Unless their safety is threatened with a weapon, I see no reason for police officers to use a taser on an 11 year old girl suspected of misdemeanor theft (shoplifting).

Related: Taser used on 11-year-old who stole food, Cincinnati police say

"Police said body cameras were not turned on during this incident."

Or recordings were erased...

I wonder who is going to be the first to claim that 11 year olds can be dangerous, that the cop was probably scared, that the kid deserved it because he wasn't obeying commands, yadda yadda.

Were the cops so in fear of their lives that they had to taser an 11 year old girl because they couldnt handle her physically?

This is an other perfect example of what my sig says. She made the choices to shoplift and to run from the police, and she has to live with the consequences of those choices. Hopefully, she will make different choices in the future as she grows up.

Don't want to get tased? Don't run from the cops. Don't want to be put in a situation where you feel you may get arrested, convicted, and go to jail? Don't break the law. It's that simple.

----------------------- Side Note--------------------------

Now, this young lady that stole food - on a side note - I'd like to know why she did so. Does she need food that badly that she resorted to shoplifting just to be able to eat? If so, then she needs our help with that. She also needs to be shown that breaking the law is not the right choice, that there are people, groups, and organizations that would feed her, gladly and without shame. None of that, if it is true, excuses her actions but it makes it more understandable. If she just stole the food because she didn't want to pay for it, then that's just sad that a young girl would have not been taught by her parents that such actions are not acceptable, or that her parents are not able to get her to understand that her actions are wrong (may not be the parents fault, she could just be a bad seed as the saying goes).

I wonder who is going to be the first to claim that 11 year olds can be dangerous, that the cop was probably scared, that the kid deserved it because he wasn't obeying commands, yadda yadda.

11 year olds can be dangerous. 11 year olds should be obeying a police officers commands.

This article is not detailed enough to warrant any kind of valid opinion on the incident.

At least the child wasn't shot.

With as many police officers as we have seen shooting unarmed people, I guess I won't complain too loudly if they're all going to switch over to tasers until police departments start vetting and training their officers better.

I think we need to be tasing more 11 year olds and this wouldn’t happen as much

Why stop with tasing? Throw them in prison as well. The world needs saving from the 11 year old menace!

This is an other perfect example of what my sig says. She made the choices to shoplift and to run from the police, and she has to live with the consequences of those choices. Hopefully, she will make different choices in the future as she grows up.

Don't want to get tased? Don't run from the cops. Don't want to be put in a situation where you feel you may get arrested, convicted, and go to jail? Don't break the law. It's that simple.

I figured someone would inevitably be by with the automatic defense.

11 year olds can be dangerous. 11 year olds should be obeying a police officers commands.

This article is not detailed enough to warrant any kind of valid opinion on the incident.

If the police cannot handle an 11 year old girl, they should be fired.

Anyway, this kind of thread is at least useful for measuring just how much a poster means it when in other parts of the forum they act worried about government abuse of power. If you think it's reasonable for the police to taze an 11 year old girl, you are not worried about government abuse of power. If you think that government violence against citizens is a reasonable and acceptable response, you are not worried about government abuse of power.

----------------------- Side Note--------------------------

Now, this young lady that stole food - on a side note - I'd like to know why she did so. Does she need food that badly that she resorted to shoplifting just to be able to eat? If so, then she needs our help with that. She also needs to be shown that breaking the law is not the right choice, that there are people, groups, and organizations that would feed her, gladly and without shame. None of that, if it is true, excuses her actions but it makes it more understandable. If she just stole the food because she didn't want to pay for it, then that's just sad that a young girl would have not been taught by her parents that such actions are not acceptable, or that her parents are not able to get her to understand that her actions are wrong (may not be the parents fault, she could just be a bad seed as the saying goes).

If the cops cant out run an 11 year old girl, they need to find a new line of work.

The police Chief is rightfully concerned.

If his officers can't handle a misdemeanor call like this without resorting to tasering an 11 year old female, something is amiss.

Their training, decision making skills, and physical condition all come into question.

I figured someone would inevitably be by with the automatic defense.

If you look at what I wrote, I didn't defend the police action, I discussed the young girl's actions. I also discussed potential mitigating circumstances that we as a society should be concerned about with regard to this young girl.

Nothing automatic about it, nor is it a defense of the officers. There are two distinct actions in this story - the young girl that stole and then ran from the police, and the police actions. I focused on the former, not the latter.

As for the latter, I don't support tasing a young child. I can understand why they did so, but I don't agree with it nor do I support it. That said, everything I said in my previous post still stands. The young lady made the choices that led to this result, not the police.

People make choices every day. Some folks think that others should be blamed for the choices they make, rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. As an attorney, I would think that you of all people here would have the intellect to have seen the actual focus of my post without deflecting as if I was defending the tasing, but unless I completely misread your post, I was wrong about that.

Police, in a situation like this, are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they had grabbed her, wrestling her to the ground to get her cuffed, they'd be accused of brutality. If she ran from them and they chased her, and she was injured, fall or hit by a car, again, they are at fault. Taser may have been the quickest method and safest method to get her under control. I wasn't there, I did not see the situation as it was.

Police, in a situation like this, are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they had grabbed her, wrestling her to the ground to get her cuffed, they'd be accused of brutality. If she ran from them and they chased her, and she was injured, fall or hit by a car, again, they are at fault. Taser may have been the quickest method and safest method to get her under control. I wasn't there, I did not see the situation as it was.

Tasers are not completely safe. People have died being tased.

Tasers are not completely safe. People have died being tased.

Yes, that is true. People have died running into traffic, too. People have died from heart attacks while running from police. A lot of things can kill a person. In this case, the taser did not kill the girl. She's fine. She was arrested and no one died.

Cincinnati cops use Taser on 11-year-old girl caught stealing from Kroger supermarket

kroger-d12d5338-f56c-4844-a1c1-34ced92d0546-large16x9-kj12kenardkroger-frame-1795.png

Unless their safety is threatened with a weapon, I see no reason for police officers to use a taser on an 11 year old girl suspected of misdemeanor theft (shoplifting).

Related: Taser used on 11-year-old who stole food, Cincinnati police say

Greetings, Rogue Valley. :2wave:

WHY would an 11-year old girl steal FOOD? Doesn't this bother people? It would be different if she stole some clothing from a department store, but FOOD? I could cry that she was tasered - :thumbdown:

Wouldn't be the first time in DP for that so I expect, if it hasn't already, it will a few posts south of mine.

WHY would an 11-year old girl steal FOOD? Doesn't this bother people? It would be different if she stole some clothing from a department store, but FOOD? I could cry that she was tasered - :thumbdown:

If she stole food that would raise some important questions, but do we know that was what she was stealing? While Kroger’s doesn’t carry things like clothes and jewelry they do carry things other than food.

If you look at what I wrote, I didn't defend the police action, I discussed the young girl's actions. I also discussed potential mitigating circumstances that we as a society should be concerned about with regard to this young girl.

Nothing automatic about it, nor is it a defense of the officers. There are two distinct actions in this story - the young girl that stole and then ran from the police, and the police actions. I focused on the former, not the latter.

As for the latter, I don't support tasing a young child. I can understand why they did so, but I don't agree with it nor do I support it. That said, everything I said in my previous post still stands. The young lady made the choices that led to this result, not the police.

People make choices every day. Some folks think that others should be blamed for the choices they make, rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. As an attorney, I would think that you of all people here would have the intellect to have seen the actual focus of my post without deflecting as if I was defending the tasing, but unless I completely misread your post, I was wrong about that.

A couple of points. The article says she resisted (whatever that means) and fled so presumably she was tased while fleeing and not representing any kind of danger to any one. So the use of the taser should be questioned on those grounds alone completely forgetting that she's only a kid.

You can go back to the root cause being the girl's decision to steal but that doesn't clear the cop who made a concious decision to employ a potentially lethal device against a child who didn't represent a danger to the cop. Just because someone decides to break the law it does not give LE carte blanche do treat them in any manner they desire.

Oh pleeaaase, cry me a river. She stole snacks and loaded them into her backpack, while she was surrounded by her friends and a sibling.

Yeah, right, next thing you're gonna try to convince us that that bunch of Americans was starving in the US of A. :lamo

Oh pleeaaase, cry me a river. She stole snacks and loaded them into her backpack, while she was surrounded by her friends and a sibling.

Yeah, right, next thing you're gonna try to convince us that that bunch of Americans was starving in the US of A. :lamo

Tasing a child?

A couple of points. The article says she resisted (whatever that means) and fled so presumably she was tased while fleeing and not representing any kind of danger to any one. So the use of the taser should be questioned on those grounds alone completely forgetting that she's only a kid.

You can go back to the root cause being the girl's decision to steal but that doesn't clear the cop who made a concious decision to employ a potentially lethal device against a child who didn't represent a danger to the cop. Just because someone decides to break the law it does not give LE carte blanche do treat them in any manner they desire.

Good points, but a taser is legal to use to subdue a fleeing suspect, which is why I said I can understand why the cops did this. Tasing a kid is still not a cool thing to do. Nowhere in any of my posts will you find me excusing the use of a taser on a child. However, nowhere in my posts will you find me excusing what the young lady did, either, which some can say to be doing by omitting her actions from the dialogue in this thread.

If the police cannot handle an 11 year old girl, they should be fired.

Simply not true. You cannot pigeon-hole every single scenario with a blanket statement.

In this case; however, it would appear than an off-duty cop tasered the child in the back as she attempted to flee. This is completely unacceptable and should lead to a dismissal, if not charges.

Back
Top Bottom