• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservatives Are Standing on the Wrong Side of History

That is not true. The federal budget immediately after WWII took a huge drop...but the spending on veterans had that post-war hump. It's like you're implying that a VA spending increase is somehow due to the overall federal spending increase...but such an observation falls afoul of the correlation/causation fallacy.

Increased VA spending was driven by the same economic causes that drove increased overall spending. Your own graphics pointed out the need of many veterans.:peace

Just customary opposition. BHO had majorities in both houses. The complaints are just whining, and excuses for political incompetence.:peace

"Just customary opposition"...that's like saying that the mountain sitting in the middle of a bunch of molehills was just "customary mole engineering".

bipartisanship: noun -- Republicans doing what Democrats want.:peace

Never mind that at NO time in American history since the Civil War has one party stuck so strongly to party-line voting for such a period of time.

Jack, you're doing a wonderful job of ignoring the obvious, telling yourself that the 800-lb. gorilla sitting in the middle of the living room is just another piece of furniture.

[h=3]Spending Steadily Increasing[/h] Government spending in the United States has steadily increased from $1.5 trillion in the mid 1980s to over $6 trillion today. But as a percent of GDP it has kept in a range from 33 percent to 38 percent of GDP.
usgs_chart2p11.png
Chart 2.11: Government Spending in dollars

Government spending first reached $1.5 trillion in the mid 1980s, and then breached $2 trillion in the recession year of 1991. In the 1990s spending increases started to level off, reaching $3 trillion in 1999. But in the 2000s with the dot-com crash and 9/11 government spending began to accelerate, reaching $4 trillion in 2004 and $5 trillion in 2008. Then came the Crash of 2008 and government spending exploded to $6 trillion in 2010. After a few years of modest growth, spending is expected to resume regular increases by the mid 2010s.

And that explains your point about spending on veterans' disabilities...how?

Increased VA spending was driven by the same economic causes that drove increased overall spending. Your own graphics pointed out the need of many veterans.:peace

Okay, maybe I'm slow - please point out the economic causes that increased overall spending that ALSO drove increased VA spending...but did so with those post-war bumps I showed you.

Reagan wasting billions on "Star Wars" had little to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union. The fall came from within.

Nonsense. The way Western leaders acted in the early 80s was absolutely crucial. Totalitarian systems are built on fear and absolute control; strength and consistency of signals coming from the top of the pyramid are all-important.

History of the Soviet Union was one economic or social disaster after another, but it did not create any serious threats to the regime. People don't matter. (Compare: North Korea).

What mattes is that at every given moment the Kremlin knew exactly what to do, and transmitted orders smoothly all the way to the bottom. The "Star Wars", among other challenges posed by Reagan, Thatcher, John Paul II and Co. have been successful because they garbled those signals. People in charge of the hideous empire did NOT know what to deal with them, and started their clumsy limited reforms ("perestroika"). But you can't "reform" something like the USSR: once the absolute certainty of totalitarian system disappears, everything falls apart instantly - there's no economic or social glue to hold it together.

LOL Being on the wrong side means your ideology failed and the oppositions ideology became the law of the land...

Liberal democracies are perfectly capable of "reversing history" and abolishing bad laws adopted under "progressive" delusions. We have repealed the Prohibition after its idiocy became obvious, did we not? (Unfortunately, a lot of damage was already done by then).

Liberal democracies are perfectly capable of "reversing history" and abolishing bad laws adopted under "progressive" delusions. We have repealed the Prohibition after its idiocy became obvious, did we not? (Unfortunately, a lot of damage was already done by then).
Not to mention Eugenics, the Smoot-Hawley Tarrif, and even (gasp) veterans entitlements.

"Just customary opposition"...that's like saying that the mountain sitting in the middle of a bunch of molehills was just "customary mole engineering".

Never mind that at NO time in American history since the Civil War has one party stuck so strongly to party-line voting for such a period of time.

Jack, you're doing a wonderful job of ignoring the obvious, telling yourself that the 800-lb. gorilla sitting in the middle of the living room is just another piece of furniture.

To which the only reasonable response is: So what? All you're telling me is that the opposition organized themselves effectively.:peace

Except for the fact that in times of warfare, people die and get wounded at a FAR greater rate than in peacetime. I really don't understand how you don't get that.

In wartime people certainly die and get wounded at a higher rate, but that does not mean that disability claims increase commensurately.

And that explains your point about spending on veterans' disabilities...how?

Increased spending on veterans was simply a subset of overall increased spending, dealing with a poor economy. Your graphic only indicates increased spending on veterans; it does not specify that spending was for disabilities.

Okay, maybe I'm slow - please point out the economic causes that increased overall spending that ALSO drove increased VA spending...but did so with those post-war bumps I showed you.

The discussion is Iraq. The post-Iraq bump coincides with increased non-disability veteran needs, economically derived, as well as war disabilities.

pocket change in the scheme of things
you can do simple arithmetic?

The only "ruinous rates of taxation" America has ever had were low ones.

When we had considerably higher rates, in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, we built the great American middle class. Before the Bush Tax Cuts, we had the Clinton tax rates, and our economy was never better. When tax rates get slashed, the result is massive unemployment: 1932, 1982, 2008.

LOL. Do you actually believe the nonsense you write? Are you familiar with effective rates or only with marginal rates?

When we had considerably higher rates, in the 1940s, '50s and '60s, we built the great American middle class. Before the Bush Tax Cuts, we had the Clinton tax rates, and our economy was never better. When tax rates get slashed, the result is massive unemployment: 1932, 1982, 2008.

LOL. Do you actually believe the nonsense you write? Are you familiar with effective rates or only with marginal rates?

WHAT that I said was "nonsense"? The rates of the 1940s, '50s, '60s and '90s WERE effective rates. VERY effective.

I'd settle for just bringing back the rates we had under your boy, Ronald Reagan. Whoever was President could then balance the budget rather quickly.

WHAT that I said was "nonsense"? The rates of the 1940s, '50s, '60s and '90s WERE effective rates. VERY effective.

I'd settle for just bringing back the rates we had under your boy, Ronald Reagan. Whoever was President could then balance the budget rather quickly.
You should have just said you had no idea what effective rates were.

You want to bring the rates then let's return to the tax code we had then.

only a wage slave who files a 1040ez could believe such hogwash

Back
Top Bottom