• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Conservative schools Sisyphus on Economics

Propaganda is too strong a word. Economics is a human science with a lot of hard science involved (like statistics and various measurements). But unlike a hard science the schools of economics disagree on goals and methods. So it has a political content.

Umm...that's why I stated "...almost agree with you..." and not "I agree with you."

I took statistics in college and the one thing I came away with was that statistics can be used to prove just about anything the compiler wants to prove. All it takes is a little creative justification for why the data points used were the only ones pertinent to the issue.

Kind of like how the government can dismiss more than 3 million unemployed from the numbers they claim represent unemployment merely by stating that after a certain period of time they ceased looking for work; without dealing with why this many people who want to find work stopped looking for work.

Last edited:
Umm...that's why I stated "...almost agree with you..." and not "I agree with you."

I took statistics in college and the one thing I came away with was that statistics can be used to prove just about anything the compiler wants to prove. All it takes is a little creative justification for why the data points used were the only ones pertinent to the issue.

I perfectly agree with that

Kind of like how the government can dismiss more than 3 million unemployed from the numbers they claim represent unemployment merely by stating that after a certain period of time they ceased looking for work; without dealing with why this many people who want to find work stopped looking for work.

You lost me here. Doesn't matter why someone stopped looking for work if they aren't looking for work then they are not looking for work. When they start looking for work again, they are added back to the ranks of the unemployed (or hopefully even the employed).

And I don't think that the government dismisses those people because they are included in alternate measures of unemployment.

I actually find that most government compiled statistics are more believable and trustworthy that privately compiled statistics. Mostly because most private groups have a particular ideology to prove, while the government employees workers and leaders from a variety of ideological backgrounds, and for the most part, most non-elected government beaurocrats couldn't give a rats rear about ideologies or politics, just like the general population. The gov numbers are what they are, and we are free to interpret (or misinterpret) and overanalyize them however we wish.

Last edited:
No, there aren't. They are competing theories that are testable. Not differing schools of physics. There is only one physics and its goal is understanding the physical universe and it has one method -- the scientific method. It has no other agenda. Economics, however, differ as to goals and methods.

北京大å*¦ç§‘å*¦å�²ä¸Žç§‘å*¦å“²å*¦ä¸*心 » TWO SCHOOLS OF THOUGHT IN THE REVOLUTION IN PHYSICS AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY This article analyzes the historical role, philosophical origin, and end result of two schools in this revolution, the Mechanical School and Critical School.

Main Schools of Thought in Theroetical Physics | Dr. Myron Evans Using feedback software the main schools of thought in theoretical physics at present are ECE and the obsolete standard model. The former is highly visible throughout the world and is continuously studied in depth. It is the first successful unified field theory, and offers many advantages, notably its ability to give a plausible explanation of Tesla resonance. The standard model controls journal publishing through its control of jobs and editors, but there is no confidence in these journals because they are known to exclude new thought in Baconian science. The standard model in consequence has been overwhelmingly rejected by the avant guarde, but will probably still be taught and published out of intellectual inertia.

Interpretations of quantum mechanics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia An interpretation of quantum mechanics is a set of statements which attempt to explain how quantum mechanics informs our understanding of nature. Although quantum mechanics has held up to rigorous and thorough experimental testing, many of these experiments are open to different interpretations. There exist a number of contending schools of thought, differing over whether quantum mechanics can be understood to be deterministic, which elements of quantum mechanics can be considered "real", and other matters

What Is a Physics Lab? (with picture) The use of computer simulations has created a dichotomy in the field of physics. Those who use the simulations to prove their hypotheses are called theoretical physicists, while those who choose to perform classical physics experiments in a physics lab are called experimental physicists. Until the 21st century, experimental physicists have had the most success, but as technology grows, computer models and simulations have become more accurate, helping theoretical physicists have more success. Even though there are two schools of thought, they are both important to the advancement of physics, because many times an experimentalist will find unexplained phenomena which can be explained by collaboration with a theorist.

I know you are joaquin, but you better start running if you want to catch up. Altho, from previous experience, you seem to like being wrong.

The best economic system is a pure free market where all voluntary transactions are allowed and all theft is banned, including retroactively, i. e. all monies/resources acquired by theft must be returned to their rightful owners. . .

Do you even realize that no one is living on land that their ancestors first occupied?

No one.

You lost me here. Doesn't matter why someone stopped looking for work if they aren't looking for work then they are not looking for work. When they start looking for work again, they are added back to the ranks of the unemployed (or hopefully even the employed).

Well let me try to help you find your way. ;)

I've worked for a state unemployment office for three years handling cases concerning unemployment claims. I've found that people who are marginally attached and discouraged (two of the classes that fall into the "not seeking" category) have been dilligently searching but keep failing to land a job. People think this is due to lack of skills/education or poor resume/interiew capabilities and in some cases this is true.

However, it is more true that this is due primarily to the fact the labor market is a buyers market, i.e. employers have the advantage of a large labor pool to select from. If you add the 3 million or so marginally attached/discouraged workers to the number of workers seeking work you have around 15 million seekers, all applying for about 3 million total available jobs (last time I researched). That's 5 applicant's per job offer. Of course more people are unskilled or have blue collar skills so there is greater competition at the lowest end of the scale, and locale plays a part in job applications too, but most employers get a large number of applications for each job offered and they do a triage before deciding who to interview.

Who gets cut right away during resume review? People with criminal records, people too old or too young, people who lack experience or have too much experience, and for some reason people who have been unemployed for more than six months. This still leaves many employers with a large number of applicants and the a more personal selection begins to occur, like hidden prejudice (not hiring people with ehtnic names, or based on their sex, or selecting to meet affirmative action requirements).

Finally, even after completing training programs to improve skills workers seeking employment are still faced with the same 5 to 1 ratio of seekers to jobs. Even if every job was filled today, there would be four people who remain unemployer for every job. REMOVE the marginally attached/discouraged and it's still 4 seeking each one and three out of work for every job is filled. Does that make it clearer?

Can someone ask For Adverse to explain some things...
I've found that people who are marginally attached and discouraged (two of the classes that fall into the "not seeking" category) have been dilligently searching but keep failing to land a job.
which is it? Are they looking or not?

People think this is due to lack of skills/education or poor resume/interiew capabilities and in some cases this is true.

However, it is more true that this is due primarily to the fact the labor market is a buyers market, i.e. employers have the advantage of a large labor pool to select from.
How is that relevant to classification?

If you add the 3 million or so marginally attached/discouraged workers to the number of workers seeking work you have around 15 million seekers, all applying for about 3 million total available jobs (last time I researched). That's 5 applicant's per job offer.
ummm the point is that the marginally attached/discouraged are NOT looking and are NOT in competition for jobs. What part does he not understand?

REMOVE the marginally attached/discouraged and it's still 4 seeking each one and three out of work for every job is filled. Does that make it clearer?
Isn't that what the official numbers show?

Back
Top Bottom