• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Congratulations Ohio and Specifically Cleveland: Home of the Next GOP Convention.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
bravo.gif
Alright you Ohio Republicans, Tea Partiers and all those leaning to the Right. Now is the time to make your Mark. Time to get in the game early. It will be held at the Arena. 35k Visitors and expected 200 Mill in Economic Boost for the city.

As Vesper reminded me.....get ready for the battle-lines to be drawn. All those TV and Radio Ads. All those Robo-Calls. What say ye?

Republicans Pick Cleveland Over Dallas for Convention.....

CONVENTION-master675.jpg

Republicans chose Cleveland on Tuesday for their 2016 national convention, with the hope of appealing to Rust Belt voters who eluded them in the last two presidential elections, and an acknowledgment of the political value of ending the party’s nomination process sooner.

The city edged out Dallas after a review by the Republican National Committee that narrowed the field to the two finalists last week. Both cities aggressively courted party officials, with Dallas presenting cheerleaders and a parade of elephants, and Cleveland turning to the Browns’ first-round draft pick Johnny Manziel, a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback. The choice must be ratified at a meeting of the full Republican National Committee next month in Chicago.

While each party lost the state where it held its 2012 conventions, Republicans believe holding their convention in a vital swing state will help them from an organizational and message standpoint. They were also mindful of history: No Republican has won the White House without carrying Ohio.

A convention in Ohio — highlighting the state’s top elected Republicans like Senator Rob Portman, who supports same-sex marriage, and Gov. John R. Kasich, who expanded Medicaid under the health care law — also allows the party to project a more moderate image than a convention in Texas, where party leaders include Senator Ted Cruz, a Tea Party favorite who may also seek the nomination.....snip~

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/u...veland-for-2016-national-convention.html?_r=0

Re: Congraulations Ohio and Specifically Cleveland: Home of the Next GOP Convention..

Dude, thats like two years from now. And who would want to go to Cleveland? Or a political convention? In Cleveland!

Re: Congraulations Ohio and Specifically Cleveland: Home of the Next GOP Convention..

I wanted Dallas, but..... Texas is safe and Ohio is teetering. Thus, its best to fire up support in Ohio.

Dude, thats like two years from now. And who would want to go to Cleveland? Or a political convention? In Cleveland!

Mornin J5. :2wave: Its all starting before they even get there. Many of the GOP wanted it in Texas. Especially a lot of Tea Partiers.....all on the Prospect of Cruz running. The GOP wanted it in Ohio.....where Romney dropped the ball. Where it will matter and with a swing state.

Like Team BO did with Romney in 2012. They started attacking him at the Midterm.....2010. Now the shoe is on the other foot. So to speak.

They will also go with the Cleveland Orchestra for the Entertainment. But then the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame will be Right around the corner.

rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame.jpg

Rock-N-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-HBO.jpg

Last edited:

I wanted Dallas, but..... Texas is safe and Ohio is teetering. Thus, its best to fire up support in Ohio.

Mornin Cryptic. :2wave: You are Right.....this has been in the works. Since Romney didn't have the backing. The Ohio Republicans need to get out for the Mid Term and run it all the way until 2016.

Not to mention Ohio is the Birthplace of Rock-n-Roll.

800px-Birthplace_of_Rock_N_Roll.jpg

Time to Rock-N-Roll.....the Left! Like completely out the Door. As in.....C-ya, wouldn't want to be ya! :lamo

I kind of thought San Francisco would be fun.

Nothing like a good riot to drum up some big news.

It worked out so well for them when they had the 2008 convention in St.Paul, and Minnesota flipped to red....oh, wait....

Or in 2012, when the Democrats had their convention in North Carolina and the state....went for Romney.

I kind of thought San Francisco would be fun.

Nothing like a good riot to drum up some big news.

Mornin Cal. :2wave: The Ohio Republicans will have to get out and beat their drums. Plus they can give thanks to Portman for making it all happen. Here is something from the WP. But they think he will run in 2016. Most in the GOP think, he wont. It will be for Ohio first.

Cleveland’s winning bid to host the GOP convention highlights Portman’s influence.....

Tuesday’s announcement that the 2016 Republican National Convention will be held in Cleveland underscored the importance of Ohio in the party’s national strategy to win back the White House and affirmed the influence of Sen. Rob Portman, who pushed for months for the lakeside city to land the coveted nominating convention.

Portman, however, is far from building a national political apparatus, and his trips to early primary states have been limited to New Hampshire, where his daughter attends his alma mater, Dartmouth College. While his stance on marriage and fiscal conservatism could play well in the Granite State, he has a low profile there — he tied for last in a March survey of Republicans attending a conservative event.

Most of his networking is done on his own — he personally lobbied Republican National Committee members on Cleveland’s behalf — or through his tightknit inner circle, led by chief of staff Rob Lehman and longtime adviser Joe Hagin, a childhood friend who served as a top aide to President George W. Bush. Stuart Stevens, who served as Romney’s top strategist in 2012, is another confidant.

To win a national election, we’ve got to work on fixing the Republican brand, and that’s what I’ve been working on,” Portman said. “We’ve got to be the party of ideas, not the party of no. . . . The Democrats have successfully mischaracterized Republicans in many instances, and that’s why Mitt Romney had a tough time winning Ohio. They called him a plutocrat without compassion.”.....snip~

Cleveland

Yea, so i thought this thread was about Lebron going to Cleveland.

It worked out so well for them when they had the 2008 convention in St.Paul, and Minnesota flipped to red....oh, wait....

Or in 2012, when the Democrats had their convention in North Carolina and the state....went for Romney.

Mornin 88. :2wave: Yeah that's what the NY Times was saying. But then they said more. You know those silly East Coast guys. ;)

While each party lost the state where it held its 2012 conventions, Republicans believe holding their convention in a vital swing state will help them from an organizational and message standpoint. They were also mindful of history: No Republican has won the White House without carrying Ohio.

At a practical level, holding the convention in Ohio will allow the party’s nominee to bolster his volunteer list for the fall. The thousands of Ohioans who will be involved in staging the convention can be turned to for phone banks and door-knocking. President Obama’s formidable organization in the state was among the principal reasons he was able to defeat Mr. Romney there.

“To the extent a convention can get the locals excited about those kinds of activities, that is extremely valuable,” said Scott Jennings, who directed Mr. Romney’s campaign in Ohio, a state the Republicans lost by two percentage points. “I would have loved to have had hundreds of thousands more in Cleveland.”

With Democrats making gains in the upper South and interior West in recent presidential elections because of demographic shifts, it is imperative that Republicans reassert themselves in the Rust Belt. “There is no state that’s more important in 2016 than Ohio,” Mr. Portman said Tuesday. “I do think that should play a role, and I think it did.”.....snip~

Mornin 88. :2wave: Yeah that's what the NY Times was saying. But then they said more. You know those silly East Coast guys. ;)

At a practical level, holding the convention in Ohio will allow the party’s nominee to bolster his volunteer list for the fall. The thousands of Ohioans who will be involved in staging the convention can be turned to for phone banks and door-knocking. President Obama’s formidable organization in the state was among the principal reasons he was able to defeat Mr. Romney there.

“To the extent a convention can get the locals excited about those kinds of activities, that is extremely valuable,” said Scott Jennings, who directed Mr. Romney’s campaign in Ohio, a state the Republicans lost by two percentage points. “I would have loved to have had hundreds of thousands more in Cleveland.”

With Democrats making gains in the upper South and interior West in recent presidential elections because of demographic shifts, it is imperative that Republicans reassert themselves in the Rust Belt. “There is no state that’s more important in 2016 than Ohio,” Mr. Portman said Tuesday. “I do think that should play a role, and I think it did.”.....snip~

Yeah, organization is key. It just seems like they've doomed themselves now.

Yeah, organization is key. It just seems like they've doomed themselves now.

Oh yeah, and the grassroots for the GOP has been up and running. Tea Partiers too. All the Democrats have done is jump lock stock and barrel with BO. People are seeing it. Sure the left blames Republicans but most see Reid blocking anything and everything. Perception. Plus we know all the other trouble showing up in other areas. Demos running away from BO care in their Elections......Can't talk about Foreign Policy. Even this Immigrations affect them as much as the GOP. It just gets added into the Mix and that frying pan.

Nah.....Portman and Others have been out talking ideas. Even Jindal......its like they said. Doesn't matter about winning if one doesn't have anything on the table. People do. Its not being talked about much now. Other than those in the Senate races and other elections.

Mornin J5. :2wave: Its all starting before they even get there. Many of the GOP wanted it in Texas. Especially a lot of Tea Partiers.....all on the Prospect of Cruz running. The GOP wanted it in Ohio.....where Romney dropped the ball. Where it will matter and with a swing state.

Like Team BO did with Romney in 2012. They started attacking him at the Midterm.....2010. Now the shoe is on the other foot. So to speak.

They will also go with the Cleveland Orchestra for the Entertainment. But then the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame will be Right around the corner.

rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame.jpg

Rock-N-Roll-Hall-of-Fame-HBO.jpg

Even rock and roll moved out as soon as it became an adult.

As long as it helps the GOP out for now and 2016......is all that counts. We can't continue down the Democrats path. Since no other will have any chance. Republicans and those that lean to the Right need to step up and make it count with Impact.

Ohio seems to be less dogmatically blue than Minnesota and thus more prone to flipping -espescially if Obama's economic policies can be placed in the forefront.

Appalachian counties of Ohio also produce alot of coal and given Obama's environmentalist ideaology, the miners might be prone to switching to red.

Ah maybe the SEIU will play games and make some news.

Mornin Cal. :2wave: The Ohio Republicans will have to get out and beat their drums. Plus they can give thanks to Portman for making it all happen. Here is something from the WP. But they think he will run in 2016. Most in the GOP think, he wont. It will be for Ohio first.

Cleveland’s winning bid to host the GOP convention highlights Portman’s influence.....

Tuesday’s announcement that the 2016 Republican National Convention will be held in Cleveland underscored the importance of Ohio in the party’s national strategy to win back the White House and affirmed the influence of Sen. Rob Portman, who pushed for months for the lakeside city to land the coveted nominating convention.

Portman, however, is far from building a national political apparatus, and his trips to early primary states have been limited to New Hampshire, where his daughter attends his alma mater, Dartmouth College. While his stance on marriage and fiscal conservatism could play well in the Granite State, he has a low profile there — he tied for last in a March survey of Republicans attending a conservative event.

Most of his networking is done on his own — he personally lobbied Republican National Committee members on Cleveland’s behalf — or through his tightknit inner circle, led by chief of staff Rob Lehman and longtime adviser Joe Hagin, a childhood friend who served as a top aide to President George W. Bush. Stuart Stevens, who served as Romney’s top strategist in 2012, is another confidant.

To win a national election, we’ve got to work on fixing the Republican brand, and that’s what I’ve been working on,” Portman said. “We’ve got to be the party of ideas, not the party of no. . . . The Democrats have successfully mischaracterized Republicans in many instances, and that’s why Mitt Romney had a tough time winning Ohio. They called him a plutocrat without compassion.”.....snip~

Cleveland

Ah maybe the SEIU will play games and make some news.

Well if Cleveland thinks about going blue again....we will tell them they have to change the baseball team's Name. :lol:

Ohio seems to be less dogmatically blue than Minnesota and thus more prone to flipping -espescially if Obama's economic policies can be placed in the forefront.

Appalachian counties of Ohio also produce alot of coal and given Obama's environmentalist ideaology, the miners might be prone to switching to red.

Ohio is for sure a swing state. No doubt about that, but one might have argued NC was in 2012, after Obama won it in 2008. Not so in 2012 after the convention was in Charlotte.

I'm just saying...I can't see how it's going to be a big factor in how the state swings.

Ohio is for sure a swing state. No doubt about that, but one might have argued NC was in 2012, after Obama won it in 2008. Not so in 2012 after the convention was in Charlotte.

I'm just saying...I can't see how it's going to be a big factor in how the state swings.

For mobilization. Consider it like the Obama phone. Except now it will be used more like, for reach out and touch somebody. ;)

The thousands of Ohioans who will be involved in staging the convention can be turned to for phone banks and door-knocking.....snip~

Yeah and the manufacturing jobs.....steel factories too.

Yeah and the manufacturing jobs.....steel factories too.

And I'm proud to say that Goodyear, headquartered in Akron, Ohio, is the exclusive tire supplier for the NASCAR races! Yep! :thumbs: Also, Goodyear produced a new tire in 2012 that says "Support our Troops." And the Goodyear blimp is the most recognized icon in the world! Yep, I'm bragging a little! :mrgreen:

Tires.jpg

And I'm proud to say that Goodyear, headquartered in Akron, Ohio, is the exclusive tire supplier for the NASCAR races! Yep! :thumbs: Also, Goodyear produced a new tire in 2012 that says "Support our Troops." And the Goodyear blimp is the most recognized icon in the world! Yep, I'm bragging a little! :mrgreen:

View attachment 67169492

So are ya a Bengals or Browns girlie.....Lady P?

Reds Fan or Indians Fan?

So are ya a Bengals or Browns girlie.....Lady P?

Reds Fan or Indians Fan?

Since I live close to Cleveland - 45 minute drive - I'm a Browns fan and an Indians fan, and we are well represented in both the Football and Baseball Hall of Fame. The people who live in the Southern part of the State are the Bengals and Red fans, and I've had some interesting good-natured arguments with some of them, too! :lol: I think we are all Ohio State fans, though!

Lebron James is also an Akron boy who graduated from a local high school. Many people may not realize it, but even though he left the Cavaliers to play for the Heat, he still comes back here at least once a year to throw a big party for all the kids in the area that want to attend. Many do, and we're talking hundreds of young kids! He buys every one of them a new bike, since he remembers that many parents today just can't afford to buy everything a kid wants, especially since we're part of the "Rust Belt." Plus, he's a very nice man to boot, in addition to being an outstanding athlete, and the proud father of two young sons who attend all his games! He's got a gorgeous wife, too! What's not to like?

One good thing that could be derived from having the GOP National Convention in Cleveland, is Ohio has shown good growth in jobs since Kasich became governor. He has made a good effort to make the state business friendly. As of May 2014 unemployment was 5.5. Some counties are reporting rates as low as 3.5 others 7.7. The tech industry is one industry that has boomed in Ohio. To choose Cleveland which is just a little South of Detroit certainly highlights the tale of two cities. Cleveland not without its problems has shown great improvements over the last couple of years compared to Detroit that has been a “model city” for big-government! All Detroit’s mayors since 1962 were Democrats who were eager to micromanage and spend. Detroit has the only utility tax in Michigan, and its income tax is the third-highest of any big city in America (only Philadelphia and Louisville take more, and they aren’t doing great either). Detroit’s automakers got billions in federal bailouts. Politicians can’t make mismanaged industries coupled with constant government meddling, welfare and bureaucratic labor union rules (Detroit has 47 unions) into a formula for success.

Another plus for the GOP to hold the convention in Cleveland, it is the home of the renowned Cleveland Clinic. People from all over the world seek treatment at this institution. They have not been silent on how Obamacare has caused them grief and forced them to cut needed staff etc. in order to meet all the new regulations to stay within budget.

Another is our program for school choice. Cleveland has really benefitted from that one increasing its graduation rates. Vouchers do work.

Oh and I shouldn't forget the most important of all and that is Cleveland is home to Great Lakes Brewing Co.. One of the finest microbreweries in the nation.

Last edited:

What do you care, you're voting for Harry Brown. Oh yeah, he's dead.

Back
Top Bottom