• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Compromise

Suggest something. It's the GCAs idea. I understand that you don't actually believe in offering a compromise, but do some searching online for help.

Are you suggesting that everything on the table is unconstitutional, ineffective and unenforceable?
Who specifically has presented this idea?

The gun control advocates proposed the compromise, not the gun rights advocates.

Again, and yet again, what are the gun control advocates offering in compromise?
He doesn’t seem to understand what compromise means. If he did he would be offering up solutions like if we get a national registration then CCP’S are recognized in all 50 states. Or if there is a safe storage law then we do away with any one gun a month restrictions. Instead we get the lame argument of I get all I want you get nothing and then claiming others aren’t willing to compromise. Typical of that person.

Suggest something. It's the GCAs idea. I understand that you don't actually believe in offering a compromise, but do some searching online for help.

Are you suggesting that everything on the table is unconstitutional, ineffective and unenforceable?

I've suggested a lot of things...the best being a blanket gun ban (with exemptions previously discussed).

I know you won't accept that, so what WOULD you accept ?

There is no compromise.

I've suggested a lot of things...the best being a blanket gun ban (with exemptions previously discussed).

I know you won't accept that, so what WOULD you accept ?
That's not a compromise. That's your hardline position. You have to tell us what laws you'll do away with to get us to agree with your position.

Is the word "compromise" used somewhat differently in the UK than how it is in the US?

That's not a compromise. That's your hardline position. You have to tell us what laws you'll do away with to get us to agree with your position.

Is the word "compromise" used somewhat differently in the UK than how it is in the US?

So what are you prepared to give up in a compromise ?

It sounds like it's absolutely NOTHING.

So what are you prepared to give up in a compromise ?

It sounds like it's absolutely NOTHING.
Its you that can't even tell us what youd give back. Compromise is the GCA position.

Isn't the relevant question: "What do you want?"

Isn't the relevant question: "What do you want?"
From the OP: What compromise is intended when you refer to a "compromise" with gun rights advocates? What are you giving back?

From the OP: What compromise is intended when you refer to a "compromise" with gun rights advocates? What are you giving back?
So, one side wants there to be no guns. One side wants the right to own guns. Wouldn't a compromise mean that both sides would be giving up what they want, and settling for something they can live with?

Like: Instead of outlawing guns, a gun banner might live with getting rid of concealed carry. Isn't that what they are giving back? Allowing you to own a gun, just not carry it concealed.

Who is you? There is no such group offering a compromise

So, one side wants there to be no guns. One side wants the right to own guns. Wouldn't a compromise mean that both sides would be giving up what they want, and settling for something they can live with?

Like: Instead of outlawing guns, a gun banner might live with getting rid of concealed carry. Isn't that what they are giving back? Allowing you to own a gun, just not carry it concealed.
No, that's taking away concealed carry. "Compromise" isn't taking less than you want to; it's giving up a current restriction. I've never seen a single offer from the gun control side that offered to give up a current restriction/infringement.

No, that's taking away concealed carry. "Compromise" isn't taking less than you want to; it's giving up a current restriction. I've never seen a single offer from the gun control side that offered to give up a current restriction/infringement.
Nor should they

Compromise is taking less than you want. That's integral to the definition. The two sides seem to me to be: "Status quo" and "repeal the second amendment." All compromise must exist between these two "extremes," else it isn't a compromise. What it sounds like you are arguing for is making your side "Status quo plus..." in which case the onus is on you to declare what you want in addition to the status quo, and then compromise from there.

Back
Top Bottom