• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

College Chaplain Tried to Organize ‘BDSM 101’ Event with Local Dominatrix

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
No judgment on others' private preferences, but I'm perplexed by why the chaplain (who doesn't lead worship services but "functions as a faith adviser to Christians, Muslims, and Jews on campus," according to National Review) saw this as part of her job. The college cancelled the event within hours, but here is how it was described: “Chaplain Beatrix will host a local dominatrix to share wisdom on how to safely, sanely, and consensually learn about bondage, discipline/domination, sadism/submission, and masochism....” https://www.nationalreview.com/news...rganize-bdsm-101-event-with-local-dominatrix/

No judgment on others' private preferences, but I'm perplexed by why the chaplain (who doesn't lead worship services but "functions as a faith adviser to Christians, Muslims, and Jews on campus," according to National Review) saw this as part of her job. The college cancelled the event within hours, but here is how it was described: “Chaplain Beatrix will host a local dominatrix to share wisdom on how to safely, sanely, and consensually learn about bondage, discipline/domination, sadism/submission, and masochism....” https://www.nationalreview.com/news...rganize-bdsm-101-event-with-local-dominatrix/

Setting aside for the moment how slanted the National Review is...

Is the audience composed entirely of willing adults? If so, what's the problem?

Setting aside for the moment how slanted the National Review is...

Is the audience composed entirely of willing adults? If so, what's the problem?
Bible Belt.

Even better. If those young ADULTS are going to play, they need to be safe, sane, and consensual.
I haven’t attended church in forever, but somehow I don’t think it is the college chaplain that should be leading these meeting/gatherings?

I haven’t attended church in forever, but somehow I don’t think it is the college chaplain that should be leading these meeting/gatherings?

It's an interesting choice, I'll give you that. But as long as the lesson is good, teach away.

Private, Presbyterian-affiliated Liberal Arts College. DIV III NCAA

Seems like a nice, small college. I have never felt particularly drawn to Memphis, like some of the other parts of Tennessee.

Looks like Rev. Beatrix Weil has a Wild Side that finally bubbled up to the surface. I anticipate she parts ways with Rhodes College before next fall, maybe even before January 1, 2024.

Kink shaming is lame, if they are into it, and not hurting anyone, who cares?

She's hosting it, not leading it. The Dominatrix is leading it, the guest speaker.
Think of it as sex ad...at a college, voluntary attendance...doesn't sound so crazy right?

Some people are OK with bringing religion into the modern era, trying to help people and being pro-science, open to LGBTQ, and consensual lifestyle choices. Many aren't though.
I don't blame a college for balking, not a big deal IMO either way.

The definition of "chaplain" has obviously morphed a tad over the past few decades; and the sheepskin on this one has apparently become rather threadbare.

She's hosting it, not leading it. The Dominatrix is leading it, the guest speaker.
Think of it as sex ad...at a college, voluntary attendance...doesn't sound so crazy right?

Some people are OK with bringing religion into the modern era, trying to help people and being pro-science, open to LGBTQ, and consensual lifestyle choices. Many aren't though.
I don't blame a college for balking, not a big deal IMO either way.
Sex and religion don’t have a very good history.

The definition of "chaplain" has obviously morphed a tad over the past few decades; and the sheepskin on this one has apparently become rather threadbare.
I've never given much thought to college chaplains; my own university system doesn't have a chaplain's office. It does have outstanding college groups/pastoral leadership no matter what your "flavor" because there are so many international students. Across the street from the main campus is the Hillel Foundation (Jewish) and also Canterbury House (Episcopalian), and only a block away is the Islamic Community's student center. On the other side of the campus are the Catholic (services in Korean as well as Spanish) and Methodist and Baptist student centers, so multiple clerics.

I went Googling:

What Does a College Chaplain Do?

As a college chaplain, your job is to counsel students on religion and other spiritual matters while they're at your campus. In this role, you may address challenging questions about faith, lead prayer sessions, help guide students to useful resources, and otherwise provide religious services and support as requested. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/career/College-Chaplain/What-Is-How-to-Become

One college chaplain's opinion:

At a time when chaplains are found within a variety of institutional settings and social movements, one can make the case that they serve a vital role within the particular context of higher education, as learning requires those who are entrusted to care for that which is sacred, or in other words, “worthy of awe and respect.” Chaplains serve alongside people of diverse religious, spiritual, moral and ethical backgrounds. By inviting learners into the fullness of life, chaplains are called upon to draw from various traditions and practices to build community, provide guidance, lead rituals, facilitate interfaith cooperation and offer unconditional care.

...My hope is that more colleges and universities can develop safe and brave spaces to consider matters of belief, doubt, worship, meaning, meditation, prayer, pluralism, God, wonder and devotion. Through the recognition that learners are far more than brains and learning is far more than grades, chaplains help to ensure that students receive something that is far more than a ticket to an entry-level job: a trajectory toward an extraordinary life.

*This article explains the origins of the word "chaplain."

From the Harvard Divinity Bulletin:

Due to changing demographics and generally decreasing levels of religiosity, campus chaplains are more and more likely to be the first religious professionals that students encounter regularly. They assist students who are housing or food insecure, or who are undocumented, to access resources; help international students acclimate; and support activist students in finding their networks. They also ensure that students who are navigating trauma, sexual assault, or forms of domestic or psychological abuse find reliable long-term care. Campus chaplains care for and about students—and care about the issues that students care about—especially when their dignity is hurting, when their stress is high, and when their futures seem unsure. All the while, chaplains engage in the perennial task of modeling character alongside the mandate to help students navigate conflicts with parents, siblings, friends, roommates, intimate partners, and intimate partners of roommates. While juggling all this, the prayer space probably also needs another vacuuming!

If students have questions about navigating the ethics of simulating unethical behavior in an ethical way with their intimate partners, whose job is it to either answer those questions, or to find someone more qualified to help answer those questions, if not the "ethical guide" who is supposed to help them navigate their relationships with "parents, siblings, friends, roommates, intimate partners, and intimate partners of roommates?"

If students have questions about navigating the ethics of simulating unethical behavior in an ethical way with their intimate partners, whose job is it to either answer those questions, or to find someone more qualified to help answer those questions, if not the "ethical guide" who is supposed to help them navigate their relationships with "parents, siblings, friends, roommates, intimate partners, and intimate partners of roommates?"
If you're talking about sex techniques/particulars of a fetish, I don't see these as within the scope of a chaplain's job. Of all the workshops/events this chaplain Meir could have organized, why one on carnal desires rather than spiritual ones?

If you're talking about sex techniques/particulars of a fetish, I don't see these as within the scope of a chaplain's job. Of all the workshops/events this chaplain Meir could have organized, why one on carnal desires rather than spiritual ones?
Indeed, and well said.

Indeed, and well said.
Thank you. As I say, this really is perplexing to me. I'm glad that the college took action, but what the heck was this chaplain even thinking? (And how does she know this dominatrix so well that this is the second event she has asked her to speak?)

Based.

What this Chaplain did is absolutely okay. There is no harm in learning healthy ways of exploring kink.

Based.

What this Chaplain did is absolutely okay. There is no harm in learning healthy ways of exploring kink.
I don't think that a spiritual advisor's role is to help others explore kink.

Back
Top Bottom