• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN says White House banned reporter Kaitlan Collins from Rose Garden event

The way I understand this event, from the reporter that it was directed to, and by her own words immediately following the event, was that she was a pool reporter brought into the presser and was instructed as all the EU pool and other world press pool reporters were as well, that the focus and purpose of the presser was for Trump and the EU chief to discuss trade and only trade, and that no questions would be answered.

So she knew that.

She yelled questions at the President in front of the World press that had but one and only one purpose - to embarrass Trump in front of the entire world, which has become the sole purpose of CNN’s efforts since Trump was made the GOP nominee.

There are rules. There is a thing called professionalism. The reporter from CNN chose to ignore both. I’m sure her EP told her to do exactly what she did. For that, she and CNN were not invited to the follow-up presser in the Rose Garden.

No infringement of the First Amendment occurred. CNN had access to the exact same video and audio as every other news outlet, they just weren’t allowed to be present to advance their proven agenda of doing whatever it takes to destroy Trump as they had just attempted moments before.

I don’t like Trump and his words and Tweets tend to piss me off on a regular basis, but what CNN did here and what they are doing every minute of every day is just as harmful to the country as Trump’s spastic and bombastic mouth.

They deserved to sent to time-out. When they can act as professionals, they can be treated as professionals.

IMHO

Questions, no matter the topic or how they might be perceived by the world, are proof of our democracy's successes and failures. The so-called-Leader of the Free World failed to uphold our rights as Americans.

President Trump is the best thing that ever happened to CNN...imagine how pathetic their ratings would be without him?

Really dumb thing for the White House to do. Also really dumb for people to be shrieking about lost rights when that didn't happen.

WH bars CNN pool reporter from event. They, CNN were representing a pool of News orgs, FOX, MSNBC and others

Trumps war on the Free Press is disgusting to anyone who cares about a Free Press.
I hear those on the Right all for 1A. I am wondering where they stand on this?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/25/kaitlan-collins-cnn-reporter-banned-rose-garden-ev/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ch-fake-news-1984-orwell-kansas-a8463471.html
Why are you spinning this as a 1A issue? She wasn't invited to be a part of a photo, that's all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Questions, no matter the topic or how they might be perceived by the world, are proof of our democracy's successes and failures. The so-called-Leader of the Free World failed to uphold our rights as Americans.

There are press briefings every day. This was a presser that had no availability for questions. She knew that. She made a choice. Read my sig below. People don’t get to do just whatever the heck that puts a chill down their leg without there being consequences. No where in the Constitution does it say that the press gets a pass to be assholes.

There are press briefings every day. This was a presser that had no availability for questions. She knew that. She made a choice. Read my sig below. People don’t get to do just whatever the heck that puts a chill down their leg without there being consequences. No where in the Constitution does it say that the press gets a pass to be assholes.

She was representing the networks. And yes, the press, and you, have the right to be asses because of rights of the 1st Am. (And there are NOT briefings every day.)

The so-called President doesn't get a pass to be a grade one Asshole either...Like trump is

Let me know when Trump declares her an enemy of the State.

He has. Trump has described the media as being the enemy of the people. She's a reporter so that includes her. Unless of course you work for Fox News. Then you're cool. Not that anyone from Fox News would be down with asking Trump a serious unscripted question. So no worries there!

Bill Shine handled women for Ailes so it comes as no surprise.

Leftists tend to make the mistake of believing that Fox is monolithic, and it's really not. I also think they watch a helluva lot more of it than they'd like to admit.

I agree. I'm pretty sure they like to watch, but they have to stay in the closet about it. :D

You do realize that while there is Freedom of the Press, there is no "right" to access to the President, eh?

The press can write whatever they wish (subject to appropriate Libel laws), which is why we have "News" reporting from sources as various as The Washington Post and the National Inquirer.

Access to the President is strictly controlled...by the President. Press passes may be issued or removed "at will."

CNN is still free to report whatever news they can get access to, and access or lack thereof (IMHO) hasn't prevented them from saying any damn thing they want. :shrug:

This was an open press event. This journalist was banned from attending an open press event because the president didn't like the awkward questions she asked. The press need to be free to hold the government to account.

Yep. And whoever they're asking the question to has the Right to not answer and to tell them to get out.

Exactly. Perhaps this will teach the media not to ask the President difficult questions about his leadership.

WH bars CNN pool reporter from event. They, CNN were representing a pool of News orgs, FOX, MSNBC and others

Trumps war on the Free Press is disgusting to anyone who cares about a Free Press.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/25/kaitlan-collins-cnn-reporter-banned-rose-garden-ev/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ch-fake-news-1984-orwell-kansas-a8463471.html

Please explain how not being invited to a event is a attack on the 1st Amendment?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's rich coming from the people who went to the ends of the Earth on here after charlottesville to defend the rights of free speech of Nazis because they had a permit. Well guess what? Kaitlin had a permit too. Where's your defense of her?

Her permit just got revoked.

So many lines and so much wrong. The President is blocking her for literally no reason whatsoever. Take your no right crap, and shove it. She didn't do a thing wrong and she's young and pretty. He should love her. Don't you want to know why he is blocking her? No, of course you don't.

Young and pretty? Really? How does that add to her credentials? Would she be less of a reporter if she wasn't pretty? There is no legal or Constitutional requirement for the president to even have press conferences. Maybe Trump should follow the stellar example that Obama set. Did you complain about freedom of the press when Obama and his "most transparent administration" limited the press and told the press what they could publish? I seriously doubt it. Every president does this to one degree or another.

https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/trump-press-war-obama-administration-reporters-1202782264/
"White House officials subverted the press in a number of ways while touting themselves as the most transparent in history.
Obama routinely banned news photographers from official events. He went months between press conferences and used social media to circumvent reporters.
First lady Michelle Obama took policy trips overseas with no press on her airplane. The White House scrubbed public visitor logs of names it didn’t want in the news.
The Obama administration posted the worst record in history for fulfilling requests for public records under the Freedom of Information Act.
In a bleak episode of unintended irony, an open-government group gave Obama an award for transparency in an Oval Office ceremony closed to the press.
Trump may well end up being worse on press issues than Obama, and today’s White House reporters could be picking out their prison reading lists eventually.
But for now, those on duty there are guardedly hopeful.
Trump has proved more accessible than Obama and has not moved on threats against the industry. He has yet to discover the many uses of the Espionage Act, but he still needs to make time for a news conference."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-house-reporters-_n_5997708.html
"White House journalists are creating an alternative system for distributing their media “pool” reports in response to the Obama administration’s involvement in approving and disapproving certain content in official reports.
A small group of reporters initiated an online forum this month in which they shared “pool” information among themselves, without White House involvement. The forum was set up by the White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA), which negotiates with the White House’s press staff over access for journalists."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...37aa0153527_story.html?utm_term=.524d3d8f3a2c
"White House press-pool reports are supposed to be the news media’s eyes and ears on the president, an independent chronicle of his public activities. They are written by reporters for other reporters, who incorporate them into news articles about President Obama almost every day.
Sometimes, however, the White House plays an unseen role in shaping the story.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-press-cynicism-media_n_5951370.html

Journalists who cover the White House say Obama’s press aides have demanded — and received — changes in press-pool reports before the reports have been disseminated to other journalists. They say the White House has used its unusual role as the distributor of the reports as leverage to steer coverage in a more favorable direction."

The press has been immensely harder on Trump than they were ever on Obama. It's like they are an arm of the DNC. It used to be that liberals denied that the press wasn't bias. Now some liberals rationalize why the press is bias. You are one of those liberals. Your double standard is showing.

Young and pretty....... That is about an idiotic standard to use to judge one's abilities.

How is asking pertinent questions disrupting? That's what they are payed to do and they're not going to get the chance to do otherwise with this President because he's too chicken **** to hold press conferences.

Was it a pertinent question? Reporters tend to shout out stupid and inappropriate questions, that have people shaking their heads....wtf? Maybe it was one of those. I didn't see what she was yelling out in the op link. Do you know?

The only Amendment the Right cares about is the 2nd.

This was just inconceivable. Another day, another attack on the US. **** 45.

Let me know when Trump declares her an enemy of the State.

I know the MSM is going to whine and cry about meanie Trump, but I'm glad to see that they are finally levying consequences to the totally unprofessional, childish, partisan, disruptive, rude and did I mention unprofessional conduct of some "reporters".

Huh. Maybe you've never seen a presidential press briefing/on-camera appearance before the current president. Collins didn't do anything wrong. What should worry all of us is that his hysterics are becoming more demented by the day. I think he does these things because his mindless base loves it and because he screwed up the Helsinki summit so colossally that he's desperate to change the subject.

Any person who seriously thinks that the president of the US attacking the media and political opponents and people who criticize him is acceptable should be stripped of her right to vote.

Back
Top Bottom