• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN says White House banned reporter Kaitlan Collins from Rose Garden event

This was an open press event. This journalist was banned from attending an open press event because the president didn't like the awkward questions she asked. The press need to be free to hold the government to account.

They ARE free to do so...hence all the furor over this act which is being published and leads to this thread.

However, they do not and never had any right to access to anyone, much less the President:

I don't like to waste thread space by providing multiple answers to essentially the same question, so here goes:...

...Every citizen, including public officials right on up to the President has a "right to privacy." The "freedom of the Press" refers to their right to seek information and to publish it.

But it is not an absolute right, otherwise in their quest for information to report, they would be allowed to invade your home, private office, or any other private property or restricted government property. They could hack your computers, demand access to your safe deposit boxes, etc. However, we know they can't do this, again because of that pesky "right to privacy."

The Press cannot compel you to speak to them, because you have a right to remain silent. When it comes to criminal law, this right is fairly specific. i.e. you have the right against self-incrimination and you have to invoke it. But in every other day-to-day endeavor you don't have to speak to anyone unless it is a function of your employment (i.e. customer service, receptionist, etc.). Even then, only if you wish to keep that employment.

Now when it is an essential function of government service, it still only applies to your actual duties, and it appends to those whom you must engage with in the performance of those duties. It is not the duty of the average government official, elected or otherwise (aside from those specifically assigned public relations duties), to speak to members of the Press.

The President was not elected to serve the needs of the Press. There are no such duties enumerated in the U.S. Constitution. While he is a public figure, and thus subject to public scrutiny, he still retains all the rights of any common citizen. The White House is his residence while in office, and while it is a public building it's access is restricted to those allowed to serve at the Presidents pleasure, those assigned to his protection, and those hired to provide building/residential services. NO ONE can just walk in without permission, and like any other resident, the President can decide who has such permission at any point in time.

IMO it is a good idea for any President to be as transparent as possible within his privacy rights, but he has no specific obligation to do so, nor do we as common citizens.

Meanwhile, as already stated, lack of access to the President, just like that same lack of access to YOU the common citizen, does not prevent the Press from publishing whatever newsworthy item their hearts desire, subject of course to appropriate Libel and Slander restrictions.

Last edited:
Was it a pertinent question? Reporters tend to shout out stupid and inappropriate questions, that have people shaking their heads....wtf? Maybe it was one of those. I didn't see what she was yelling out in the op link. Do you know?

I don't believe the press spray was for questions and I get that reporters will sometimes try to ask, but it's not cool to shout at Trump and act like he owes you an ad hoc Q&A session. It's not cool to constantly try to embarrass him in front of world leaders.
The MSM aren't being journalists any longer, rather, they are foot soldiers enacting an agenda and they do it to the detriment of doing their jobs, which is informing us.
Even at the Rose Garden presser, Trump announced extremely positive news about the EU and what did some in the Press do?
Shouted questions about RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA at the end.

Yellow journalism.

There was a time when the "fourth pillar" was yolked to respect, professionalism and integrity.
No longer.

Was it a pertinent question? Reporters tend to shout out stupid and inappropriate questions, that have people shaking their heads....wtf? Maybe it was one of those. I didn't see what she was yelling out in the op link. Do you know?
Here's the questions
— "Did Michael Cohen betray you, Mr. President?"

— "Are you worried about what is on the other tapes?"

— "Why is Vladimir Putin not accepting your invitation?"

None of the questions had anything to do with trade.

But it wasn't the questions asked that got her barred from the Rose Garden event. It was her rude behavior in how she did it. They were in the Oval office to welcome the president of EU Commission prior to the meeting. The event had concluded and the press was being ushered out. Sanders released a statement that said the reporter at CNN had be asked repeatedly to leave but instead continued to shout out questions.
Statement from White House Press Sec Sanders
"At the conclusion of a press event in the Oval Office, a reporter shouted questions and refused to leave despite being repeatedly ask to do so. Subsequently our staff informed her she was not welcome to participate in the next event but made clear any other journalist from her network could attend. She said it didn't matter to her because she hadn't planned to be there anyway. To be clear, we support a Free Press and ask everyone be respectful of the presidency and guests at the White House".

Here's the questions

But it wasn't the questions asked that got her barred from the Rose Garden event. It was her rude behavior in how she did it. They were in the Oval office to welcome the president of EU Commission prior to the meeting. The event had concluded and the press was being ushered out. Sanders released a statement that said the reporter at CNN had be asked repeatedly to leave but instead continued to shout out questions.
"At the conclusion of a press event in the Oval Office, a reporter shouted questions and refused to leave despite being repeatedly ask to do so. Subsequently our staff informed her she was not welcome to participate in the next event but made clear any other journalist from her network could attend. She said it didn't matter to her because she hadn't planned to be there anyway. To be clear, we support a Free Press and ask everyone be respectful of the presidency and guests at the White House".

Give it up. Even Fox news have condemned this. When Fox are sticking up for CNN over Trump, you know Trump is in the wrong.

Here's the questions

Other reporters asked the same questions that Collins asked. Sanders lied when she said that Collins refused to leave.

Give it up. Even Fox news have condemned this. When Fox are sticking up for CNN over Trump, you know Trump is in the wrong.
Yes Fox prez did release a statement.
“We stand in strong solidarity with CNN for the right to full access for our journalists as part of a free and unfettered press," Wallace said.
“As a member of the White House press pool, Fox stands firmly with CNN on this issue of access,” Fox News chief political anchor Bret Baier said on "Special Report" on Wednesday night.

But then Sanders released a statement that said CNN was not denied access. They were welcome to send another journalist.

I'm all for freedom of the press. News is important because the majority of what's going on in our world does effect us, and needs to be reported to the People. Typically, I would say this is wrong and they should of had this chick ask her questions. However, given CNN's record for the past 20+ years, and their behavior the past 2-3 years, I don't know if I would have let them in either. Really, the only news organizations that should be in their are establishments like Fox News, Breitbart, the Blaze, and many others like them. "YOU NAMED OFF RIGHT WING NEWS ORGANIZATIONS! THAT'S UNFAIR! THAT'S HINDERING FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!" Again, let me say it again: I'm all for freedom of the press. With recent events, however, with places like CNN, MSNBC, and CNBC, they don't report news anymore.

It's constant political activism, and not ONCE have they reported on the economy, the soaring stocks, the low unemployment rate, jobs being saved, and jobs being created. It's been Trump/Russia collusion this or Stormy Daniels that. When the things that these "news" organizations were polled as far as what the People care about, these things rank at the very bottom. The People care about how their bottom line will be affected, and at the top, believe or not, is immigration. These illegals come in, take jobs away from people, and we have to spend tax money for their welfare checks. People don't want to spend money on those they don't know nor do they want to have their jobs taken away. It has a profound affect on the economy, and not to mention the amount crime being brought in. This is what the People care about. We know it's horrible when kids are being separated from their families, but it's not our fault. It's their parents for sending them in the first place and law (setup by the Left) where it separates them. We know it's a tactic for these illegals to use their kids to get in to the country, and has succeeded in some ways. That's why Americans are not happy about illegal immigration. And that's what these news organizations should be reporting, along with the other things that directly affect Americans.

The "news media" isn't reporting news. It's political propaganda for the Left. CNN has led the charge since Slick Willy Clinton was in office. For the longest time, people called it the Clinton News Network because it constantly praised Clinton on everything he did, even if it was destructive. CNN was never like that to begin wit, but when the shakeup in ownership and who they put on happened, it went way Left and hasn't recovered since. When you have people throwing the word 'treason' around to describe a president's actions, even though there was nothing illegal and did what the previous president had done, and talking about a collusion case that has no evidence against the current sitting president, it's no longer news. It's not even doing the right thing either. I'm not saying the news organizations I described are perfect either, but they at least have been much more fair and honest about how they report. I'm not surprised that Fox News stood by CNN because Fox News isn't a Right Wing organization. It's much more in the Middle than what Leftists think. It's just the Left is so far in it's direction politically that almost ANYTHING on the Right of them is considered Right Wing, especially if there are SOME conservative hosts (even then, it does't make it Right Wing). Bottom line is the White House can block whoever they want to block. The Obama Regime has blocked Fox News before, so this isn't anything new. It's just more Trump hatred. Nothing more and nothing less.

Sounds like Joseph Goebbels. Just as scary are the chumps right in this thread that subscribe to such malarkey.
Really.... More Nazis crap? Why do people do this?

Because they think anything/anyone they disagree with is a Nazi.:lamo I mean, Rogue doesn't even have the fascist part down right.

There was a time when the "fourth pillar" was yolked to respect, professionalism and integrity.
No longer.

There was a time when the presidency was respected and the President acted with professionalism and integrity. No longer with Trump.

Here's the questions

Poor trump....So sensitive.....who knew?

I say let their stable genius continue to create a new acre of quicksand (my Wife says sand box) each new day to try but fail to create a new and diversionary narrative.

And right on cue, posters for trump sink in his latest quicksand.

I say let the stable geniuses of Never-Trumpers attempt to create (yes, I typed create) another hyperventilating catastrophe caused by the Trump administration. You guys are so transparent....:2wave:
See you with another one, tomorrow, no doubt.

This was an open press event. This journalist was banned from attending an open press event because the president didn't like the awkward questions she asked. The press need to be free to hold the government to account.
Its not about accountability. If you're attending a church meeting about its fiscal efforts to help the community poor, would you start shouting questions about the church's pedophilia scandal? No, you'd be asked to leave, and rightly so

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Its not about accountability. If you're attending a church meeting about its fiscal efforts to help the community poor, would you start shouting questions about the church's pedophilia scandal? No, you'd be asked to leave, and rightly so

trump hasn't been charged with pedophilia ....yet....But give it time.....Still funny to see that loud mouth asshole get so sensitive

Actually I literally did NOT:

I know. I responded to the poster's quote.

She doesn't have the right to ask the president a question, either. That's not freedom of the press. Matter of fact, if a question is asked of the president, the president doesn't have to answer. That's not freedom of the press, either.

Last edited:
There was a time when the presidency was respected and the President acted with professionalism and integrity. No longer with Trump.

Now you're excusing the press's lack of integrity and professionalism.
The press should not have an agenda, and they seem to have some need to prove they aren't the servile, lickspittle, propaganda arm of Obama and his administration that they were for 8 years.

trump hasn't been charged with pedophilia ....yet....But give it time.....Still funny to see that loud mouth asshole get so sensitive
Reading this, I'm reminded of the "...everyone is now dumber..." speech in the movie Animal House

Now you're excusing the press's lack of integrity and professionalism.
The press should not have an agenda, and they seem to have some need to prove they aren't the servile, lickspittle, propaganda arm of Obama and his administration that they were for 8 years.

Oh so you're REALLY pissed off then at Fox News right, being the Trump mouthpiece and partisan hacks?

As for excuses, you excuse Trump acting like he does.

Oh so you're REALLY pissed off then at Fox News right, being the Trump mouthpiece and partisan hacks?

As for excuses, you excuse Trump acting like he does.

Yeah, Shep's a real sycophant. Neil too. Such kiss asses!!

Back
Top Bottom