• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Climate Research Unit email scandal - AKA 'Climategate'

That site you use?

Climate-gate.org established online

You do realize how silly you look.

What? I linked them because they had a searchable database of the emails themselves so that people could read them, rather than reading the interpretation of those emails that get fed to them by bloggers. I chose that website because skeptics would be less likely to claim it was an altered or incomplete set of emails since the website is run by skeptics.

Always go to the source.

Last edited:
Trick:
Trick, on its face, does sound deceptive. However, deceit is not necessarily part of a "trick." In science, trick is used commonly to describe something neat, clever, or easy. "I found the trick to stopping my spray paint from running!" Want some proof?
http://www.accessecon.com/pubs/EB/2007/Volume3/EB-07C00003A.pdf
SpringerLink - Journal Article
Want more? Go to your favorite science journal and type in the search term "trick." It's everywhere. (I used Proceedings of the National Academy of Science)

None of which changes the fact that what they did was intellectually dishonest and has no place in science.

Hide the Decline
Hide the decline? Omg! There's a decline in temperatures and these scientists want to cover it up!

One problem though. Global temperatures were not declining. They were going up! So what "decline" was being "hidden?" This series of emails, which the skeptics never bothered to chase down, is referring to one set of tree-ring temperature data that had a known deviation from the temperature record. It was a bad data set from the 1950's, the known temperature record proved it to be incorrect. The debate they were having was over whether or not tree-ring data could be considered reliable enough to be used for reconstructing temperatures. In any case, whether or not this is some sort of deception is fairly irrelevant, because it was one of many temperature datasets from the 1950's and the "decline" they were "hiding" was the data, not the actual temperature. Actual temperature was going up. Hardly evidence that global warming is a hoax.

Okay, but you're sort of missing the point.

Climategate reveals 'the most influential tree in the world' - Telegraph
But more dramatic still has been the new evidence from the CRU's leaked documents, showing just how the evidence was finally rigged. The most quoted remark in those emails has been one from Prof Jones in 1999, reporting that he had used "Mike [Mann]'s Nature trick of adding in the real temps" to "Keith's" graph, in order to "hide the decline". Invariably this has been quoted out of context. Its true significance, we can now see, is that what they intended to hide was the awkward fact that, apart from that one tree, the Yamal data showed temperatures not having risen in the late 20th century but declining. What Jones suggested, emulating Mann's procedure for the "hockey stick" (originally published in Nature), was that tree-ring data after 1960 should be eliminated, and substituted – without explanation – with a line based on the quite different data of measured global temperatures, to convey that temperatures after 1960 had shot up.

A further devastating blow has now been dealt to the CRU graphs by an expert contributor to McIntyre's Climate Audit, known only as "Lucy Skywalker". She has cross-checked with the actual temperature records for that part of Siberia, showing that in the past 50 years temperatures have not risen at all. (For further details see the science blog Watts Up With That.)

In other words, what has become arguably the most influential set of evidence used to support the case that the world faces unprecedented global warming, developed, copied and promoted hundreds of times, has now been as definitively kicked into touch as was Mann's "hockey stick" before it. Yet it is on a blind acceptance of this kind of evidence that 16,500 politicians, officials, scientists and environmental activists will be gathering in Copenhagen to discuss measures which, if adopted, would require us all in the West to cut back on our carbon dioxide emissions by anything up to 80 per cent, utterly transforming the world economy.

They weren't hiding the fact that temperatures have been declining. They were hiding the fact that the data they've been using as supposedly undeniable evidence of global warming is completely unreliable.

More here: American Thinker: Understanding Climategate’s Hidden Decline | Watts Up With That?

Anyways. The things that you brought up are only two of the noteworthy facts revealed by the emails.

Last edited:
How can that be the case when peer reviewed circles are in agreement that climate change is happening and that humans are, in the least, not helping?

Anyone can post scientific "research", like the oil companies, but if it's not peer reviewed by the actual scientific community, it doesn't matter.

Or are you going to say that peer reviewed science worldwide is corrupt and has been bought by the green movement?

Many of the studies which set out to prove the existence of AGW were funded by oil companies.

Anyways. If the vast majority of the scientific community believes in this stuff, and they decide that evidence against it is unworthy of a peer-reviewed journal, then it makes perfect sense that evidence against AGW doesn't get into peer-reviewed journals. And anyone who followed climategate should know that this is exactly what happened.

Instead of worrying about academia popularity contests, maybe you should look at the actual science of the minority view. You might learn something.

If the vast majority of the scientific community believes in this stuff, and they decide that evidence against it is unworthy of a peer-reviewed journal, then it makes perfect sense that evidence against AGW doesn't get into peer-reviewed journals.

As I have already said twice now, that is not how the journals work. They don't just toss out conclusions because they don't conform to their opinion. Journals scrutinize research methodology and if the methods are sound and impirical evidence is gathered properly, then the article will be posted. The job of journals is NOT to filter articles based on pre-determined conclusions and never has been. If what you're saying is true, then no opinions counter to the current views in ANY field of study would end up being posted in journals, which is simply not true.

Instead of worrying about academia popularity contests, maybe you should look at the actual science of the minority view. You might learn something.

Maybe you should look at how peer reviewed journals actually work and you might learn something, instead of reading just the Guardian and the Telegraph. You have demonstrated that you clearly don't know the process.

But by all means, keep putting your fingers in your ears and shouting, 'La la la!'

As I have already said twice now, that is not how the journals work. They don't just toss out conclusions because they don't conform to their opinion. Journals scrutinize research methodology and if the methods are sound and impirical evidence is gathered properly, then the article will be posted. The job of journals is NOT to filter articles based on pre-determined conclusions and never has been. If what you're saying is true, then no opinions counter to the current views in ANY field of study would end up being posted in journals, which is simply not true.

What you're saying is how they are supposed to work.

It's like saying that there's no way a politician accepted bribes, because that's not a part of how the political system is supposed to work.

Maybe you should look at how peer reviewed journals actually work and you might learn something, instead of reading just the Guardian and the Telegraph. You have demonstrated that you clearly don't know the process.

But by all means, keep putting your fingers in your ears and shouting, 'La la la!'

The only people putting fingers in their ears and humming are the ones trying to justify looking at only one side of the argument as being scientifically acceptable.

I don't worship the peer-review process on an altar, so I openned my mind and looked at both sides of the argument. And what I saw turned me around. Because whether or not other scientists close their ears and hum to it, there is a huge amount of scientific evidence that AGW just doesn't exist and that what we are going through/just went through is/was an entirely natural period of warming that may or may not have just come to an end.

What you're saying is how they are supposed to work.

It's like saying that there's no way a politician accepted bribes, because that's not a part of how the political system is supposed to work.

Apples and oranges.

The only people putting fingers in their ears and humming are the ones trying to justify looking at only one side of the argument as being scientifically acceptable.

I don't worship the peer-review process on an altar, so I openned my mind and looked at both sides of the argument. And what I saw turned me around. Because whether or not other scientists close their ears and hum to it, there is a huge amount of scientific evidence that AGW just doesn't exist and that what we are going through/just went through is/was an entirely natural period of warming that may or may not have just come to an end.

Most of the so called counter evidence has been disproven, even by people on these boards. The methodologies are flawed at their foundation. If there was such an abundance of obvious counter-evidence, I think even the mainstream media would have picked up on it already. But of course, that doesn't align with what the conspiracy theorists want us to believe, that there is some world wide systemic hoax happening and that climate change is a myth.

Apples and oranges.

Not really. You're saying that, because peer-review scientists are supposed to have purely scientific motives, that means they always have purely scientific motives and aren't influenced by non-scientific factors.
Stuff doesn't always happen the way it is theoretically supposed to happen.

Most of the so called counter evidence has been disproven, even by people on these boards. The methodologies are flawed at their foundation.

I disagree, but it's one thing to think that most of the counter-arguments have been disproven, another to think that the counter-arguments aren't even worth looking at.

If there was such an abundance of obvious counter-evidence, I think even the mainstream media would have picked up on it already. But of course, that doesn't align with what the conspiracy theorists want us to believe, that there is some world wide systemic hoax happening and that climate change is a myth.

It's not so much a systematic conspiracy as it is a matter of self-delusion caused by politics. Let's face it, most people in the mainstream media are liberals. Most people in science are liberals. These are facts confirmed by various studies. It's not all that hard to believe that ideological groupthink would subconscously take precedence over scientific motives.

Scientists do look at the counter-evidence, Dav. Every time one of these skeptic guys writes up some sort of evidence against AGW, they look at it. They don't just dismiss it out of hand, they point out the flaws and counter with their own evidence. You may not be personally aware of it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

Science is based on reality and facts. Reality does not have a liberal bias.

Scientists do look at the counter-evidence, Dav. Every time one of these skeptic guys writes up some sort of evidence against AGW, they look at it. They don't just dismiss it out of hand, they point out the flaws and counter with their own evidence. You may not be personally aware of it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening.

In that particular instance I was talking about Orion, not scientists in general.

Science is based on reality and facts. Reality does not have a liberal bias.

Science and reality may not have a poltiical bias, but the people who study them do.

What? I linked them because they had a searchable database of the emails themselves so that people could read them, rather than reading the interpretation of those emails that get fed to them by bloggers. I chose that website because skeptics would be less likely to claim it was an altered or incomplete set of emails since the website is run by skeptics.

Always go to the source.

So post it I am not doing your research

Not really. You're saying that, because peer-review scientists are supposed to have purely scientific motives, that means they always have purely scientific motives and aren't influenced by non-scientific factors.
Stuff doesn't always happen the way it is theoretically supposed to happen.

No, what I'm saying is that there is absolutely no evidence that what the conspiracy theorists say is true; that there is willful, systemic, and global collusion at all upper levels of peer reviewed organizations to circulate false data. We all know that politicians are corrupt. They are caught in lies all the time. The same cannot be said for science. How science is used by third parties is up for debate, but peer reviewed science is based in empirical data which in of itself can be re-tested for confirmation, or tossed out. There is a self-correction process.

What we are seeing is the paranoid right wing taking one incident - an incident that has already been explained and corrected as Deuce mentioned earlier - and turning it into a political rivalry against assumed left wing sabotage of the government. You should also note that these kinds of arguments are only coming out of American political bodies, where the environmental debate is polarized between left and right. In Europe this idiotic debate blew over a long time ago, but that's because the corporate lobby is not as powerful in Europe and does not have as much sway over public opinion.

Just because the right wing has a bone to pick with liberal policy makers in America does not mean the science is corrupt on a global scale.

I disagree, but it's one thing to think that most of the counter-arguments have been disproven, another to think that the counter-arguments aren't even worth looking at.

I look at the counter-arguments. It's why I still participate in these threads. But I'm not going to rehash the same talking points over and over again only to not be listened to. Why would I spend time typing out info to someone like ptif219 who has already decided not to listen?

Most of the counter-arguments I've seen can be attacked at their very foundation based on their sources, their methodologies (such as how their data was gathered or plotted), and how well their conclusions are verified. I mean, how many times can I read an article by the Guardian, the Telegraph, or the LA Times talking about "evidence" before I just get sick of clicking on the links? Most of those news agencies either don't post their sources, or their sources are not peer reviewed; and then, when I mention that they aren't peer reviewed and thus I cannot put full faith in them, I get the argument back about global conspiracies and how peer reviewed sources are not trustworthy anyway. See the vicious circle?

I am essentially asking you... why should I trust news agencies who are posting flimsy evidence when people like you will just immediately dismiss peer reviewed sources that are way more verifiable?

It's not so much a systematic conspiracy as it is a matter of self-delusion caused by politics. Let's face it, most people in the mainstream media are liberals. Most people in science are liberals. These are facts confirmed by various studies. It's not all that hard to believe that ideological groupthink would subconscously take precedence over scientific motives.

It's also been confirmed by studies that the U.S. is a polarized nation in politics. The fact that you even turn the notions of scientific research into "liberal vs. conservative" is a product of your political culture. This is not a worldwide phenomenon, it's an American made one. The fact that you won't listen to research because it's "liberal" shows just how deep your nation has gone into bipolar insanity. The fact that it's no longer loyal to conservativism to be in favor of preserving ecology and listening to environmental research shows that there is no logic to your debate anymore. Science doesn't tow the party line, it posts conclusions based on empirical evidence, whether you like those conclusions or not.

It would be like blaming Oppenheimer for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There are certain scientific inevitabilities that people may not like, but they are bound to be discovered eventually. How those discoveries are used is not the responsibility of the scientists, nor do they have any control over how the information will be used in partisan politics like in America. Their job is just to uncover knowledge.

I don't deny that there is a political sphere to environmentalism, but to say that environmental science is liberal just demonstrates that even the academics in your country are under attack due to political polarization. The academics are traditionally moderates, not staunch liberals or conservatives. Even in the most radical political times, the academics have the preserved knowledge and relative unbias to let the public know what the situation is.

Once the academics start to come under attack from political ideologues, you know that the society is beginning to engage in a downward spiral. History shows this time and time again.

The last thing I will say is this. Environmental science is not confined to the United States where radical political ideologies are rampant in the media right now and the academic moderates are being alienated based on their party loyalties. The research takes place globally and has many contributing sources, many of whom are from stable nations with no such turmoil.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but you lack the evidence to prove systemic, global bias here. It's just a supposition that the American right wing keeps making over and over, but like with a lot of different issues, the staunch right just shouts loudly and without basis.

No, what I'm saying is that there is absolutely no evidence that what the conspiracy theorists say is true; that there is willful, systemic, and global collusion at all upper levels of peer reviewed organizations to circulate false data. We all know that politicians are corrupt. They are caught in lies all the time. The same cannot be said for science. How science is used by third parties is up for debate, but peer reviewed science is based in empirical data which in of itself can be re-tested for confirmation, or tossed out. There is a self-correction process.

Actually, there's plenty of evidence of it, most of it provided by the climategate emails themselves.

Heirchies are corruptible by nature, as is man. Academia is as susceptible to corruption as the government is. Self-correction process or not.

What we are seeing is the paranoid right wing taking one incident - an incident that has already been explained and corrected as Deuce mentioned earlier - and turning it into a political rivalry against assumed left wing sabotage of the government. You should also note that these kinds of arguments are only coming out of American political bodies, where the environmental debate is polarized between left and right. In Europe this idiotic debate blew over a long time ago, but that's because the corporate lobby is not as powerful in Europe and does not have as much sway over public opinion.

Hm. So the paranoid right is making all sorts of conspiracy theories, but that doesn't happen in Europe because... it's actually the corporate lobby's fault.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

(And do you have any idea how much money from oil companies scientists setting out to prove AGW get? It's a lot. As the climategate emails have shown.)

Just because the right wing has a bone to pick with liberal policy makers in America does not mean the science is corrupt on a global scale.

You keep confusing science with scientists. Science cannot be corrupted. Scientists, even if you believe are not corrupted, are susceptible to curruption.

I am essentially asking you... why should I trust news agencies who are posting flimsy evidence when people like you will just immediately dismiss peer reviewed sources that are way more verifiable?

I rarely go to news agencies for scientific information. There are better places to find such, and not just peer-reviewed journals.

It's also been confirmed by studies that the U.S. is a polarized nation in politics. The fact that you even turn the notions of scientific research into "liberal vs. conservative" is a product of your political culture. This is not a worldwide phenomenon, it's an American made one. The fact that you won't listen to research because it's "liberal" shows just how deep your nation has gone into bipolar insanity. The fact that it's no longer loyal to conservativism to be in favor of preserving ecology and listening to environmental research shows that there is no logic to your debate anymore. Science doesn't tow the party line, it posts conclusions based on empirical evidence, whether you like those conclusions or not.

It would be like blaming Oppenheimer for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. There are certain scientific inevitabilities that people may not like, but they are bound to be discovered eventually. How those discoveries are used is not the responsibility of the scientists, nor do they have any control over how the information will be used in partisan politics like in America. Their job is just to uncover knowledge.

I don't deny that there is a political sphere to environmentalism, but to say that environmental science is liberal just demonstrates that even the academics in your country are under attack due to political polarization. The academics are traditionally moderates, not staunch liberals or conservatives. Even in the most radical political times, the academics have the preserved knowledge and relative unbias to let the public know what the situation is.

Once the academics start to come under attack from political ideologues, you know that the society is beginning to engage in a downward spiral. History shows this time and time again.

The last thing I will say is this. Environmental science is not confined to the United States where radical political ideologies are rampant in the media right now and the academic moderates are being alienated based on their party loyalties. The research takes place globally and has many contributing sources, many of whom are from stable nations with no such turmoil.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but you lack the evidence to prove systemic, global bias here. It's just a supposition that the American right wing keeps making over and over, but like with a lot of different issues, the staunch right just shouts loudly and without basis.

Fine, maybe "liberal" was the wrong word. But there is a mindset which causes people to see evil everywhere in the modern world and in humanity, and is predisposed to embrace a theory which means that humans must "change their ways" (to quote way too many AGW believers) in order to even survive. It's not much of a stretch to say that most scientists are of this mindset - especially outside of the U.S., where most people in general are of this mindset.

It's silly to think that only in America could people's political and philisophical beliefs interfere with their scientific work. Just because people outside of America don't obsess over labels doesn't mean they don't have political/philisophical beliefs there, and that those prejudices can't interfere with their scientific work.

Actually, there's plenty of evidence of it, most of it provided by the climategate emails themselves.

That's not "plenty", that is one incident, and it has already been explained and corrected. It was not a matter of corruption.

Hm. So the paranoid right is making all sorts of conspiracy theories, but that doesn't happen in Europe because... it's actually the corporate lobby's fault.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

It's not conspiracy theory that the corporate lobby directly informs American government policy and contributes billions in the process. Take food for example. In the 80's the FDA conducted around 80,000 inspections in food facilities per year, and that number is now down to below 20,000 per year, despite rapid growth in the food industry. That turning of a blind eye doesn't just happen for no reason. People get paid off or positioned in policy roles to make sure profits take priority. The same goes for the fossil fuel industry. Recently the judge in Louisiana overturned the drilling moratorium, and a short time later it was shown that he has financial ties to oil stock. Whether or not his intentions runs deep, there is still enough controversy there to demonstrate my point. Many multinational corporations have more power than government now, and the finances to match.

(And do you have any idea how much money from oil companies scientists setting out to prove AGW get? It's a lot. As the climategate emails have shown.)

As long as those studies are peer reviewed then I will give them the time of day. If they're studies funded by big oil and then promoted by big oil, I'm not interested.

You keep confusing science with scientists. Science cannot be corrupted. Scientists, even if you believe are not corrupted, are susceptible to curruption.

I agree... scientists are people and can be corrupted, which is why the peer review process exists. Scientists with a clear agenda cannot get their studies published because their research will inevitably contain unsupportable holes.

I rarely go to news agencies for scientific information. There are better places to find such, and not just peer-reviewed journals.

Peer reviewed journals are the only gold standard for scientific information, and government research can come a close second depending on the motives, funding, and who is paid to do conduct the findings.

Fine, maybe "liberal" was the wrong word. But there is a mindset which causes people to see evil everywhere in the modern world and in humanity, and is predisposed to embrace a theory which means that humans must "change their ways" (to quote way too many AGW believers) in order to even survive. It's not much of a stretch to say that most scientists are of this mindset - especially outside of the U.S., where most people in general are of this mindset.

Humans do need to change their ways. I mean, you are honing in on one very narrow spectrum of the environment (climate) which has generated enough controversy to perhaps be debatable to some degree; but during this debate, the right wing is completely ignoring other things like local air quality, deforestation, depletion of wild fish stocks and ocean ecosystems, the displacement of wildlife, etc. We are poisoning our own source of life and there is no denying it. Rates for diseases like cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and infertility have never been this high in all of human history. Our very core imperative to reproduce is now being obstructed by contamination.

How long are we going to sit around and keep ignoring the blaring signs before something is done? One in three people get cancer now in their lifetime. Are we going to wait until it's one in two... until it's every single person? How much will profit matter to us then? That is the future, and it's no propaganda campaign. The American Medical Association and British Medical Association have already posted projections for the next 40-50 years. Are you going to accuse them of liberal bias too?

Fighting climate change by proxy means we will be fighting all other areas of contamination to human health in air, water, and soil. I promise you, the main obstruction to this process is profit margins and corporate lobbying. Honest research is being willfully obfuscated by huge conglomerates who would suffer economic losses if policy changes.

What I want to know is, why is the modern American right wing so obsessed with protecting business at all costs when classical conservatives looked out for individuals?

It's silly to think that only in America could people's political and philisophical beliefs interfere with their scientific work. Just because people outside of America don't obsess over labels doesn't mean they don't have political/philisophical beliefs there, and that those prejudices can't interfere with their scientific work.

That's true, but again, the peer reviewed network balances it out. Even if there is one bad apple, the rest of the tree will notice it. Again, you would have to prove willful collusion and denial on a massive scale in order to demonstrate that the collective views of individual scientists are corrupting the entire scientific world. Such evidence is yet to be put forward by anyone.

The corporate lobby knows that it cannot effectively infiltrate the peer reviewed networks because it knows it cannot skew the data and hope to gain the support of such networks. All it can do is flood the airwaves with its own "studies" and counter-information and hope that enough people buy into it. Additionally, in the United States, the corporate lobby has successfully infiltrated politics in order to turn support of research conclusions into signs of political (dis)loyalty. i.e. if you "believe" in climate change (as if it's so subjective), you must be a radical liberal environmentalist who wants to destroy American business and the American way of life. You know, like those ones in the 70's. They're all of the same flock and we should be aware. Or better yet, they're socialists who want to take money out of our pockets to pay for hippy dippy green science projects that aren't even efficient.

The green energy sector in the U.S. is lagging behind woefully because of this. Europe is already implementing green energy supplements at the government level and is seeing successes. No one is saying fossil fuels can be completely replaced right now, but supplements? They are entirely doable. Yet the U.S. is the one developed nation that is lagging behind the most, because somehow, some way, people have been taught that green energy is quack science and has no relevance to the American way of life.

That's not "plenty", that is one incident, and it has already been explained and corrected. It was not a matter of corruption.

The emails were collected over a period of about 10 years, and I'm pretty sure there is more than one incident in it of scientists intentionally trying to keep people with opposing views out of the peer-review process altogether. I have yet to see it explained away or corrected. And there was definitely corruption involved.

It's not conspiracy theory that the corporate lobby directly informs American government policy and contributes billions in the process.

No more a conspiracy theory than that acedemic heirchies disfavor views which oppose that of the majority and work to keep them out of their little club regardless of the soundness of the science.

As long as those studies are peer reviewed then I will give them the time of day. If they're studies funded by big oil and then promoted by big oil, I'm not interested.

Most of the studies intending to disprove AGW are no more involved with oil companies than many of those which set out to prove AGW. I'd prefer to look at the actual science involved than who funded it.
There are real, live scientists who don't but into AGW, and they don't all work for oil companies. But they have to get funding from somewhere.

I agree... scientists are people and can be corrupted, which is why the peer review process exists. Scientists with a clear agenda cannot get their studies published because their research will inevitably contain unsupportable holes.

Unless most scientists want to believe the study's results so badly, they will, consciously or subconsciously, ignore the unsupportable holes, or explain them away.

Humans do need to change their ways. I mean, you are honing in on one very narrow spectrum of the environment (climate) which has generated enough controversy to perhaps be debatable to some degree; but during this debate, the right wing is completely ignoring other things like local air quality, deforestation, depletion of wild fish stocks and ocean ecosystems, the displacement of wildlife, etc. We are poisoning our own source of life and there is no denying it. Rates for diseases like cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and infertility have never been this high in all of human history. Our very core imperative to reproduce is now being obstructed by contamination.

How long are we going to sit around and keep ignoring the blaring signs before something is done? One in three people get cancer now in their lifetime. Are we going to wait until it's one in two... until it's every single person? How much will profit matter to us then? That is the future, and it's no propaganda campaign. The American Medical Association and British Medical Association have already posted projections for the next 40-50 years. Are you going to accuse them of liberal bias too?

Fighting climate change by proxy means we will be fighting all other areas of contamination to human health in air, water, and soil. I promise you, the main obstruction to this process is profit margins and corporate lobbying. Honest research is being willfully obfuscated by huge conglomerates who would suffer economic losses if policy changes.

What I want to know is, why is the modern American right wing so obsessed with protecting business at all costs when classical conservatives looked out for individuals?

Thank you for providing a textbook definition of the mindset I was referring to.

That's true, but again, the peer reviewed network balances it out. Even if there is one bad apple, the rest of the tree will notice it.

The problem comes when the whole tree is bad.

Again, you would have to prove willful collusion and denial on a massive scale in order to demonstrate that the collective views of individual scientists are corrupting the entire scientific world. Such evidence is yet to be put forward by anyone.

Incorrect. It was put forward by the CRU emails.

The emails were collected over a period of about 10 years, and I'm pretty sure there is more than one incident in it of scientists intentionally trying to keep people with opposing views out of the peer-review process altogether. I have yet to see it explained away or corrected. And there was definitely corruption involved.

The OP has a link to those emails. Go show me.

Edit: While you're at it, show me how emails in one small group of scientists at the U of East Angalia somehow represent global corruption.

Edit2: Also show me where there is evidence of scientists "intentionally trying to keep people with opposing views out of the peer-review process altogether."

This is why I made this thread. People think this one incident is somehow proof of a global, century-long conspiracy among thousands of scientists in dozens of fields. It was like ten guys and the "evidence" is shoddy at best.

Last edited:
I'm done debating with someone who has already decided not to listen. No matter how many times the peer review process is explained to you Dav, you keep coming back with the notion that the entire peer reviewed network is akin to the entire tree rotting. Yet you cannot provide evidence that this is the case.

So, keep talking out of your ass as usual. You ask why I readily dismiss those in perpetual and unsubstantiated denial about climate change. Look no further than your own demeanor. But by all means, keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Argument ad populum is all you people really have on your side.

I'm done debating with someone who has already decided not to listen. No matter how many times the peer review process is explained to you Dav, you keep coming back with the notion that the entire peer reviewed network is akin to the entire tree rotting. Yet you cannot provide evidence that this is the case.

So, keep talking out of your ass as usual. You ask why I readily dismiss those in perpetual and unsubstantiated denial about climate change. Look no further than your own demeanor. But by all means, keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Argument ad populum is all you people really have on your side.

I posted 2 articles that state the peer review concerning Global Warming has been corrupted.

Nasa used September temps to claim warmest October on record. Temp recording stations were place to give higher readings. The corruption is everywhere these E-Mails just confirm more of the same.

I posted 2 articles that state the peer review concerning Global Warming has been corrupted.

Nasa used September temps to claim warmest October on record. Temp recording stations were place to give higher readings. The corruption is everywhere these E-Mails just confirm more of the same.

Flaws in research methodology does not mean corruption. You have to PROVE that there was WILLFUL INTENTION to mislead the public.

It's the difference between a lie and an error. Get it straight.

Edit2: Also show me where there is evidence of scientists "intentionally trying to keep people with opposing views out of the peer-review process altogether."

Since this is all I was talking about, sure.

Climate change emails between scientists reveal flaws in peer review | Fred Pearce | Environment | The Guardian

The Migrant Mind: CRU hacked emails and Peer Review Corruption

This is why I made this thread. People think this one incident is somehow proof of a global, century-long conspiracy among thousands of scientists in dozens of fields. It was like ten guys and the "evidence" is shoddy at best.

Really. Because from the OP, I'd guess that you thought there were only two issues revealed in those emails, corruption in peer-review journals not being one of them. And you seemed more interested in defending the people involved than in showing that it was an isolated incident.

Lots of people think the peer-review process is subject to corruption. The people in the Guardian link above are only a few examples. Many people involved in the process itself think this.

Argument ad populum is all you people really have on your side.

Are you joking? Until recently, not only was argument ad populum not possible for my side, but it was probably the most commonly used falacy against it. In this very thread you have come close to asserting that because most scientists beleive it is so, that makes it so. And it was only very recently that most people in general stopped believing that it was so, and in Europe most of them still do.

Flaws in research methodology does not mean corruption. You have to PROVE that there was WILLFUL INTENTION to mislead the public.

It's the difference between a lie and an error. Get it straight.

Bull. They got caught otherwise they would have continued the lies and deceptions. It has happened to many times with Global warming.

Global Warming: A Convenient Lie

Since this is all I was talking about, sure.

Climate change emails between scientists reveal flaws in peer review | Fred Pearce | Environment | The Guardian

The Migrant Mind: CRU hacked emails and Peer Review Corruption

Really. Because from the OP, I'd guess that you thought there were only two issues revealed in those emails, corruption in peer-review journals not being one of them. And you seemed more interested in defending the people involved than in showing that it was an isolated incident.

Lots of people think the peer-review process is subject to corruption. The people in the Guardian link above are only a few examples. Many people involved in the process itself think this.

I read these articles and a few things stand out:
1) This still isn't evidence of a global, century-long conspiracy. It's entirely contained to a handful of guys at one research group among hundreds
2) A couple private emails expressing exasperation about what they consider to be a crappy journal still doesn't prove that they actually took action to suppress anything
3) You can delete the CRU's work in it's entirety and still have a convincing case for AGW.

oh and
4) If this is evidence of suppression of scientific work, it's really weak.

Last edited:
As I'm preparing to introduce hundreds of dollars worth of Carbon, Phosphorus and other elements into the atmosphere tonight,.... (Independence day celebrations,... maybe some lead and copper as well) I think it's wise for you "sky is falling" types to go ahead and don your foil hats,... go to your bunkers and fire up your filtered air aparatus,....

It's not a matter of believing or not believing, but what scientific evidence clearly demonstrates. I mean, social phenomena contradict scientific evidence all the time. We see it with things like religion. You can believe whatever you want but the peer reviewed science doesn't lie. It may not be possible to place the whole blame on humans but we can definitely accept part of the blame for the current situation. Even outside of the climate realm, we are poisoning our own source of life with our continual pollution and willful denial of what is happening.

You make it sound as though no credible scientist opposes the idea of GW, which is quite far from the truth.

Back
Top Bottom