• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clearing the air on a white lie

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
A conversation I just had reminded me of a little lie I told when I first joined this forum. I said that I had just retired from the Army after spending most of my career working out of embassies. That wasn't entirely true. I was career Army and did work from embassies, but I hadn't retired yet. I retired from the Army in 2017. When I started posting here I was still working my final embassy assignment in Jakarta, Indonesia. I then spent the last year in pre-retirement limbo in DC processing security clearances and scheduling polygraphs.

The reason I lied was simple. I wanted to debate politics but I didn't want to get in trouble with my bosses or any host country officials. I was careful to not cross any legal lines or lines that would jeopardize my clearance. I didn't even harshly criticize Obama, even though I was eager to do so. But that is a no-no for military officers. I was also working in my off hours on getting my company started.

Anyway, I say a bunch of stupid stuff here but I try to be as honest as I can and when I recalled this particular fib I felt kind of guilty about it. Not so guilty that a couple tokes wouldn't have fixed, but still. :)

A conversation I just had reminded me of a little lie I told when I first joined this forum. I said that I had just retired from the Army after spending most of my career working out of embassies. That wasn't entirely true. I was career Army and did work from embassies, but I hadn't retired yet. I retired from the Army in 2017. When I started posting here I was still working my final embassy assignment in Jakarta, Indonesia. I then spent the last year in pre-retirement limbo in DC processing security clearances and scheduling polygraphs.

The reason I lied was simple. I wanted to debate politics but I didn't want to get in trouble with my bosses or any host country officials. I was careful to not cross any legal lines or lines that would jeopardize my clearance. I didn't even harshly criticize Obama, even though I was eager to do so. But that is a no-no for military officers. I was also working in my off hours on getting my company started.

Anyway, I say a bunch of stupid stuff here but I try to be as honest as I can and when I recalled this particular fib I felt kind of guilty about it. Not so guilty that a couple tokes wouldn't have fixed, but still. :)

Let not your heart be troubled.

Definitely gotta be more careful as an office than a lowly enlisted pleb like me, lol.

Thanks for the honesty. I have never felt you have been dishonest in any discussions here, maybe I missed something early on.
God Speed..

How do we know you aren't currently lying and secretly CIA sent her to keep an eye on us? My whole world is now turned upside down and feel as if there is no one I can now trust!

Lock him up and throw away the key!

Oh I wouldn't feel bad.

I take it you're familiar with the movie, The Year of Living Dangerously?

Definitely gotta be more careful as an office than a lowly enlisted pleb like me, lol.

I was enlisted when I started the program. Then I actually went the warrant officer route instead of the commissioned officer route. It was the only way I could make a career out of the embassy gig. Commissioned officers could only do it for a tour or two, and not until they were at least an O-4. Same for enlisted. I would have stayed enlisted if that were the best way to keep the gig. This was my MOS. It doesn't exist anymore. There were only about 55 of us at a time anyway and the Army never really knew what to do with us when DIA would kick us to the curb.

Last edited:
It is ok for government workers to lie, good job..

Guess you carried one of these:
An attache case is a small, thin suitcase used especially for carrying papers and documents but can also carry a laptop. It opens into two distinct compartments that are usually symmetrical. Attache cases have a leather or metal exterior and a slim profile.”

“Confession is good for the soul.”

How can I ever trust you again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Understandable, I would not beat yourself up over it. As most of you know I currently work in the KSA. Even though I use a VPN on DP you will not hear me criticize the Saudi Royal family or their policies. We have saying in Saudi that the walls have ears. Being prudent is not lying, sometimes its best to say nothing.

Back
Top Bottom