• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chomsky on the war

The claim is he is a leader of the left, not a leader of the Democratic party.

Yes. Chomsky is, and has long been, a leader of the far left. But he has generally sided with the Democrats. Now that the Democrats have gone complete batshit crazy, Chomsky had a nice word to say about a Republican. Not that Trump is a typical Republican, he is actually a populist. But so is Chomsky, in a way. Democrats have sided squarely against populism and for elitism. Isn't that just lovely? Now it's more likely a Republican who will stand up for average Americans. Like Tucker Carlsen, for example.

Chomsky has done a whole lot of careful research and has written mountains on politics. I often disagree with him, because he has tended to side with the Dumbocrats, and to despise the Republicans, like a good partisan sheep. However, this statement shows he is able to think outside of partisan boxes.

Lol, Chomsky is the furthest thing from 'partisan.'

Leader of the what?

Chomsky is, and has always been, a pretentious freak.
Yeah, I mean Trump is far more of an actual leader of people/organizations than Chomsky, if you think about it.

And by that I am damning Trump with faint praise.

Not sure about pretentious or freak though.

Lol, Chomsky is the furthest thing from 'partisan.'

No, there were plenty of times I saw him siding with the Democrats, and never with the Republicans. The truth is Trump was an outsider who more or less sided with average Americans. And that is supposedly what the "left" is about.

this source is questionable

I'm always hesitant about clicking on those sites. Always feel like my computer is going to detect a virus.

No, there were plenty of times I saw him siding with the Democrats, and never with the Republicans. The truth is Trump was an outsider who more or less sided with average Americans. And that is supposedly what the "left" is about.
It's entirely possible to side with one over the other most of the time based purely on your personal principles though.

So long as those principles are such that doing so is a principled position I mean.

Yeah, I mean Trump is far more of an actual leader of people/organizations than Chomsky, if you think about it.

And by that I am damning Trump with faint praise.

Not sure about pretentious or freak though.

Chomsky is not pretentious. However, he has often sounded like an unrealistic utopianist, to me. He hates how the world is, but never really says how he wants it to be.

And here is is saying something positive about Trump, who is, if nothing else, a practical realist.

Okay, by that standard, David Duke is the leader of the right.

He's a leftist so he will obviously agree with Democrats and their 'leftie-lite' (at best) policies far more than he would with Republicans. That doesn't make one a partisan. He has been an outspoken critic of the DNC.

In the US, there is basically one party - the business party. It has two factions, called Democrats and Republicans, which are somewhat different but carry out variations on the same policies. By and large, I am opposed to those policies. As is most of the population. - Chomsky

He's a leftist so he will obviously agree with Democrats and their 'leftie-lite' (at best) policies far more than he would with Republicans. That doesn't make one a partisan. He has been an outspoken critic of the DNC.

In the US, there is basically one party - the business party. It has two factions, called Democrats and Republicans, which are somewhat different but carry out variations on the same policies. By and large, I am opposed to those policies. As is most of the population. - Chomsky

No, that is wrong. It is NOT the "business party." There is nothing wrong with business. What we have is rampant uncontrolled corruption, in both parties. And the Democrats have become the authoritarians, leaving populism to the Republicans. Most lefties probably hate Tucker Carlsen and won't even listen to him. So you have no idea what he stands for. He is basically opposed to the tyrannical authoritarianism which the "left" has evolved into.

Doesn't it seem ironic? Democrats were terrified that Trump would start a nuclear war.
Not even a little ironic, just a garden variety projection.

They are liars and dissemblers, so Trump was a liar and a dissembler. They are incompetent and corrupt sp Trump was incompetent and corrupt. They took bribes from Russia and China, so Trump colluded with Russia. They aided and abetted sedition so they accuse Republicans of insurrection. The things they hate about themselves the project onto Republicans. They even project a propaganda machine as if the Republicans had the capacity.

Now the incompetence is on display for everyone to see and they are scrambling to limit the damage. November will be telling.

Eventually, the sword will swing the other way, but not soon.

Of course, Democrats abandoned the working class and now belittle them. Why do you think that Trump was able to coopt the wage earners?

I don't agree with Chomsky about there being one party. It's just that Republicans are closer to the Democrats of his youth than the Democrats are now.

Last edited:
No, that is wrong. It is NOT the "business party." There is nothing wrong with business. What we have is rampant uncontrolled corruption, in both parties. And the Democrats have become the authoritarians, leaving populism to the Republicans. Most lefties probably hate Tucker Carlsen and won't even listen to him. So you have no idea what he stands for. He is basically opposed to the tyrannical authoritarianism which the "left" has evolved into.

Jesus Christ, this is a gish gallop if I've ever saw one. o_O

If Chomsky is correct, your wonderful leader of Ukraine did not have to be put in this horrible situation in the first place. Encroaching NATO, lack of communication between the US and Russia. Not to mention the US running biodefense labs in Ukraine (yes, it is a fact).

The last claim is just patently false, and if Chomsky actually repeated that falsity, he's just parroting Putin propaganda and loses any and all credibility on this issue.

He's also wrong with regard to NATO. NATO was never a threat to Russia beyond the Cold War. Other countries *joined* NATO - precisely because they did not want to be in Ukraine's position.

I've posted it elsewhere but since the esteemed Chomsky seems to be making the argument, I'll post this again:

The "threat" the West represents is not, nor was it ever, to Russia. It's absurd to believe that the West has any interest in actually invading, occupying, or otherwise attacking Russia. We spent decades literally doing everything we could to avoid doing that. Yes, we competed against Russia for global influence, and we still do, but competing for global influence doesn't constitute threatening behavior. And I've said this with respect to the U.S. and China as well: the fact that China competes with us for global influence doesn't in and of itself represent a threat to us.

The "threat" that the West poses is to the corrupt Russian regime that robs its own people blind and murders anyone who starts pointing that fact out. A majority of Ukrainians wanted to move away from having a Russian-backed regime of oligarchy and corruption, and more toward a Western democratic regime in which voters could participate and hold their leaders accountable. They wanted to become a stable, functional Western-style democratic, free market nation-state, independent of Russian influence.

To Putin that was unacceptable, but look at his behavior and you'll see the true reason why. Putin didn't attempt to invade and commit genocide in Ukraine when Ukraine had a pro-Russia regime. Ukraine had long declared its independence from Russia and he tolerated it. Putin's position on Ukrainian sovereignty changed when ordinary citizens finished the revolution that was started earlier and made it clear that he could no longer control Ukraine. Putin recognized this as a direct threat to his regime, because there's the risk that people in Russia would see that Ukraine would be an example of a country transitioning from the Cold War into something better. Putin feared that Ukraine would show Russians what Russia could become - that it doesn't have to tolerate its rampant corruption and economic inequality. That's what people inside Russia like Alexei Navalny have risked their lives to fight for. They want that kind of system, and they know Russia's capable of having it, and Putin knows Ukraine would have influenced more and more Russians to fight against Putin's regime.

Chomsky's real bottom line has always been that the United States has too much power. I don't recall Noam Chomsky making the argument that the United States had the right to invade and occupy Iraq or any other country simply because it felt "threatened"; in fact I seem to recall quite the opposite. Every political opinion that Chomsky has seemingly starts and ends with the premise that the world would be a better place if the United States had less power and regimes like China and Russia had power equal to the United States. It's a patently absurd and naive position.

His intentions are good, and he genuinely means what he says. I don't doubt his sincerity and I even agree with Chomsky on a few things, but there are times when his capacity is stretched and I think this is one of those times.

So, hahaha, leader of the far left, Noam Chomsky, has a good word to say about a leader of the anti-left, Donald Trump. Who woulda predicted this?

As is so often the case in this world today, excerpts can be misleading.

Note how Glen Greenwald abruptly ends his video excerpt immediately after Chomsky invokes Trump's name. Did that strike you as odd? It did, to me.

So, I found the entire interview, and found-out why I believe Greenwald ended the video abruptly. I believe it's because Chomsky immediately calls Trump, "the world's most dangerous person in history", and then expounds upon Trump's negatives.

The end-point of the Tweet is the 8:00 mark in the 'complete interview' video below, if you'd like to draw your own conclusions.

He's been an intellectual figure on the left for decades. Show me a candidate he supported who won an election. Show me a specific policy he had any appreciable influence on.

Don't get me wrong: I find Chomsky to be a very educated, intellectual man. But even ivory tower intellects have their limitations. Chomsky talks about freedom, justice, and all that.

There's a leader in Ukraine - a real leader - who literally wakes up every day knowing it might be his last day on the planet, who's doing the real defense of liberty. If Putin's regime collapses, it won't be because of people like Noam Chomsky; it'll be because of the real freedom and justice fighters in Ukraine.

Chomsky supported AOC, and Biden, though he's probably critical of Biden on some points.

HIs ideas have influenced the far left of the liberal wing. But some of his ideas, such as 'anarcho-syndicalism', which appears to be identical to Wolff's iidea of communism, will never take hold in the Democratic Party. I do like his ideas on 'manufactured consent', which spells out the problems of unfettered capitalism in the arena of market driven media.

Chomsky is an intellectual leader, not a political leader. Like any intellectual leader, you take the good, discard the bad.

If Chomsky is correct, your wonderful leader of Ukraine did not have to be put in this horrible situation in the first place. Encroaching NATO, lack of communication between the US and Russia. Not to mention the US running biodefense labs in Ukraine (yes, it is a fact).

No it isn’t. The entire “biolabs in Ukraine” conspiracy theory started with an anti-vax pro-QAnon Twitter user.

Yes. Chomsky is, and has long been, a leader of the far left. But he has generally sided with the Democrats. Now that the Democrats have gone complete batshit crazy, Chomsky had a nice word to say about a Republican. Not that Trump is a typical Republican, he is actually a populist. But so is Chomsky, in a way. Democrats have sided squarely against populism and for elitism. Isn't that just lovely? Now it's more likely a Republican who will stand up for average Americans. Like Tucker Carlsen, for example.

How is it “batshit crazy” to support Ukraine against the unjustified aggression of Russia?

Back
Top Bottom