• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China Warns of 'worst consequences' for any country that supports Taiwan militarily.

If China invades Taiwan...we are ****ed.

No, China will be ****ed. It might be ****ed anyway. Western-oriented corporations are waking up to the fact that Xi and Putin are really no different. They are hedging their bets by diversifying supply chains out of China such that customers in Europe and North America will be supplied locally when it comes to critical goods. They detected a change in China’s attitude towards foreign investment years ago, and Covid accelerated the process. But I’m guessing Xi and Putin’s stupidity will also cause corporations to reevaluate any new investments in China. We’re returning to a bi-polar geopolitical order, with totalitarian states like China and Russia on one end and Western democracies, led by the U.S. and the E.U., on the other. Whatever investment occurs will be for Chinese domestic consumption.

Until today the disinvestment’s been obvious. Chinese stocks are rallying today because Beijing finally realized they have a problem and came out with a statement basically saying, “Whoa, fellas! Stick around! This is going to be a great party!” Personally, I wouldn’t touch any Chinese stock with a 10-foot pole. I mean, I own shares in an Asia-Pacific ETF that invests in China, but that’s it.

I think China might be looking at Russia, unable to successfully invade a smaller former satellite just a short drive over the border on well-maintained highways, comparing that to a heavily armed and fortified island nation in all but name with formidable sea and air defenses...and rethinking its plans somewhat.
That and the long term economic implications if investors and other parts see China as a potential source of geo-political instability.

Those people do not want to live under a tyrannical government. Genuinely authoritarian and cruel. Insisting they must be 'part' of it robs them of the many human rights and freedoms they currently enjoy and have worked hard to secure.
Yep, and after what's happened in Hong Kong, there isn't even the option of being left alone in their economic and political model.

It's not Taiwan's industry and knowhow China wants: it has the resources to emulate those. It certainly could do with the expanded ocean territory, forward air bases, shipping lanes and fisheries, but these are a sweetener.

But the main thing is it cannot stand the idea of 25 million Chinese people in a 'renegade province' showing that free speech and democracy work.

That is an affront to three-thousand years of oriental despotism, and China's insistence that such a form of government is the only suitable one for its people and culture.

China has for years tried to break into semiconductors. Its home-grown efforts have come up short, and it’s attempt to buy its way into the industry have been stymied. On the other hand, Taiwan controls more than 90% of the world’s advanced semiconductor manufacturing capacity. That’s a solid incentive to the Chinese.

But, yeah, China would have its hands full with an invasion of the island, and Putin’s debacle in Ukraine has to give it pause.

Those people do not want to live under a tyrannical government. Genuinely authoritarian and cruel. Insisting they must be 'part' of it robs them of the many human rights and freedoms they currently enjoy and have worked hard to secure.
Yeppers. Look at what China has done in Hong Kong the last couple years. That's what's in store for Taiwan and it scares the Taiwanese.

China has telegraphed for years that they intend to take over Taiwan, now that they have seen us run from Afghanistan and avoid helping the Ukraine I am sure they feel secure in advancing their timeline.

China has telegraphed for years that they intend to take over Taiwan, now that they have seen us run from Afghanistan and avoid helping the Ukraine I am sure they feel secure in advancing their timeline.
They'll have to have the forces and equipment in place first. Frankly if they were ready they might have done it already.

Back
Top Bottom