• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China’s Latest Leap Forward Isn’t Just Great—It’s Quantum

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
On Monday, China launched a satellite aboard a Long March 2D as part of their efforts to develop "hack-proof" communications technology. Could this be the next space race? According the article from The Wall Street Journal, the satellite is "named Micius after a 5th century B.C. philosopher who opposed offensive warfare."

China is making a political point at the same time as a pivotal scientific advancement. Perhaps they decided to launch the experiment into space due to the environment being naturally cooler. That would allow scientists to operate under conditions with less thermal noise. China spends about 500 times what is spent in the US on research which includes quantum physics. Although the number isn't an exact comparison, I suspect that it would still be about five times as much as publicly funded quantum research combined with the entire NASA budget.

Beijing hasn’t disclosed how much money it has allocated to quantum research or to building the 1,400-pound satellite. But funding for basic research, which includes quantum physics, was $101 billion in 2015, up from $1.9 billion in 2005.

U.S. federal funding for quantum research is about $200 million a year, according to a congressional report in July by a group of science, defense, intelligence and other officials. It said development of quantum science would “enhance U.S. national security,” but said fluctuations in funding had set back progress.

BN-PK415_2cquan_P_20160815155257.jpg

China?s Latest Leap Forward Isn?t Just Great?It?s Quantum - WSJ

Here is a video which explains all - not from the WSJ.

China spends about 500 times what is spent in the US on research which includes quantum physics.

The people who claim to be patriots should be very, very worried about this. We need to beef our education and science research funding dramatically or the technological edge America had will continue to vanish. In this century, even more than the last, he who has the best technology will control the world.

On Monday, China launched a satellite aboard a Long March 2D as part of their efforts to develop "hack-proof" communications technology. Could this be the next space race? According the article from The Wall Street Journal, the satellite is "named Micius after a 5th century B.C. philosopher who opposed offensive warfare."

China is making a political point at the same time as a pivotal scientific advancement. Perhaps they decided to launch the experiment into space due to the environment being naturally cooler. That would allow scientists to operate under conditions with less thermal noise. China spends about 500 times what is spent in the US on research which includes quantum physics. Although the number isn't an exact comparison, I suspect that it would still be about five times as much as publicly funded quantum research combined with the entire NASA budget.

I guess they're working on their own version of a quantum computer which could conceivably hack a 256 bit encryption key in a matter of seconds

Good luck with that.

Quantum computing breakthrough: Qubits made from standard silicon transistors

The people who claim to be patriots should be very, very worried about this. We need to beef our education and science research funding dramatically or the technological edge America had will continue to vanish. In this century, even more than the last, he who has the best technology will control the world.

I thought libertarians were against this - all we have to show for it is SpaceX and XCOR.

china has stopped liberalism and that is why they are progressing .... they are now copying america's wise founders system

I thought libertarians were against this - all we have to show for it is SpaceX and XCOR.

Then you should do more reading about what a left-Libertarian is. I'm a huuuuuuuge fan of SpaceX, but it's only one organization. We need to set a national priority to have a highly educated populace leading the world in scientific research.

I guess they're working on their own version of a quantum computer which could conceivably hack a 256 bit encryption key in a matter of seconds

Good luck with that.

Quantum computing breakthrough: Qubits made from standard silicon transistors

This is actually unrelated to quantum computing. It's called quantum entanglement and it allows encryption keys to be transmitted without being intercepted. (Or detected when intercepted)

china has stopped liberalism and that is why they are progressing .... they are now copying america's wise founders system

and they will be taking the wise pouring out of europe and america because of liberal harm

Then you should do more reading about what a left-Libertarian is. I'm a huuuuuuuge fan of SpaceX, but it's only one organization. We need to set a national priority to have a highly educated populace leading the world in scientific research.

This is actually unrelated to quantum computing. It's called quantum entanglement and it allows encryption keys to be transmitted without being intercepted. (Or detected when intercepted)

I was thinking of quantum computing when I mentioned the low temperatures required for the experiment. In space, the average temperature gets down between 3 and 8K, or [SUP]-[/SUP]270.45 and [SUP]-[/SUP]265C

By the way, I hope that companies will begin to see more investment, but a national priority is exactly what Obama has been advocating for in education and scientific research.

Depending on how you look at it, NASA funding has either decreased or remained roughly the same, when adjusted for inflation. It certainly hasn't seen a 5000% increase like the same figures for the Chinese "basic research."

budget1.png

Nafta helped china to rise and compete militarily

No, its actually very related to Quantum computing.

" Qubits " which are the quantum analog of a standard bit would exploit the quantum properties of superposition and entanglement to increase processing speed on a exponential scale compared to a conventional processor

Encryption keys are just very large prime numbers and it would take the fastest super computer in existence over a millions of years to crack a 256 bit encryption key

That is find the factors of that prime number or 256 bit encryption key. Since there's no easy way to do this, modern computers have to basically try every conceivable combination unti they get the right answer.

A Quantum comp would do the same thing to find the factors, but with a every qubit added the processing speed increases exponentially

No, its actually very related to Quantum computing.

" Qubits " which are the quantum analog of a standard bit would exploit the quantum properties of superposition and entanglement to increase processing speed on a exponential scale compared to a conventional processor

Encryption keys are just very large prime numbers and it would take the fastest super computer in existence over a millions of years to crack a 256 bit encryption key

That is find the factors of that prime number or 256 bit encryption key. Since there's no easy way to do this, modern computers have to basically try every conceivable combination unti they get the right answer.

A Quantum comp would do the same thing to find the factors, but with a every qubit added the processing speed increases exponentially

You're splitting hairs. It's using one of the same scientific techniques in a completely different application from a quantum computer. This satellite revolves solely around transmission and is a technique we're already doing with fiber optics on the ground. There is no quantum computer involved in the process.

It'd be like saying transmitting normal bits wirelessly is directly related to normal computers. Yes, a bit is also used by computers, but a computer is not necessarily involved.

Perhaps they decided to launch the experiment into space due to the environment being naturally cooler. That would allow scientists to operate under conditions with less thermal noise.

There's a heck of a lot more electromagnetic noise in outer space, especially beyond the ionosphere where communications satellites normally reside. But probably the Chinese have figured out how to adequately insulate/isolate their quantum system from such noise interference.

Anyway, China has shown that it can leapfrog the West in certain areas. More to come.

In the U.S, quantum physics is the work of the devil. The country needs to proclaim hubris and anti-intellectualism as top-priority national security concerns. Once a bastion of scientific research and innovation, it's astonishing to see the U.S desert those in favor of corporatist consumerism and sheer military might. I never thought I'd see the day when China leaves the U.S in the dust in terms of science.

We should restructure the social policy area and concentrate US spending on real public goods like basic R&D instead of frivolously wasting it on Goodheart programs that have been shown not to work.

I suggest you in the US learn Chinese as your current leaders you have are leaving you behind the world

In the U.S, quantum physics is the work of the devil. The country needs to proclaim hubris and anti-intellectualism as top-priority national security concerns. Once a bastion of scientific research and innovation, it's astonishing to see the U.S desert those in favor of corporatist consumerism and sheer military might. I never thought I'd see the day when China leaves the U.S in the dust in terms of science.

No, quantum physics is something you have to get a PhD in to do useful work - a PhD which is ridiculously expensive when all of higher education is ridiculously expensive. The govt wants to spend more on welfare and less on fundamental research and development. How large is the PhD vote, really? Who can get elected by courting the PhD vote? There are a lot more people in the ghetto who will sell their vote willingly - just don't cut off their cocaine supply by building a wall.

China knew to build a Wall when they needed it. I guess their wisdom and pragmatism has survived down through the ages.

Huh ? IBM's not a American company ?
IBM launches quantum computing for the rest of us

I suggest you in the US learn Chinese as your current leaders you have are leaving you behind the world

europe and america has let women have too much of a role doing abilities that they don't have and that is why the sliding backwards... China does NOT allow that.

LOOK at the History of who wins when Males Runs the Nations! today china has males running the nation and china has wisdom closer to the white race

Why is america and europe going against history FACTS ? The Facts are that white male controlled nations has progressed the most.... BUT BUT when it changes to allow the white women to become equal in the control these whole Historical facts of winning may be stopped

and the most wise of the white males chose christianity as their religion and all the wars have been won by them since The Roman Empire

The Chinese test is based on US research suggesting their will be no interference through the atmosphere. They Chinese are using stolen research papers to test any and all possibilities to get the quantum connection to work reliably. China is not burdened with the R&D expenses the rest of the world is - they just steal it. If anyone needs quantum security, it's the USA to keep the Chinese out.

The short story is "something" allows atoms to "sync" or "un-sync" with other atoms in another place - Moon vs Earth for example. When the one on Earth changes, the one on the Moon does too. There is no way to interfere without causing disruption and calling attention to your efforts because there is no known physical or electronic link between the two. It's as if a pair of twins die on the same day miles apart. That could be labeled a "0". If only one dies, that could be a "1". Thus you have the basis for binary code - 1's and 0's.

At this point is it still not practical, but someday it will.

I'm not a fan of these gov-v-gov spending comparisons as if that is the only, or even primary, source of R&D and innovation. The US still leads in total dollars spent.

Libertarians politics is one thing one minute and something else another depending on the type. Don't try to keep up.

Last edited:
The Chinese test is based on US research suggesting their will be no interference through the atmosphere. They Chinese are using stolen research papers to test any and all possibilities to get the quantum connection to work reliably. China is not burdened with the R&D expenses the rest of the world is - they just steal it. If anyone needs quantum security, it's the USA to keep the Chinese out.

The short story is "something" allows atoms to "sync" or "un-sync" with other atoms in another place - Moon vs Earth for example. When the one on Earth changes, the one on the Moon does too. There is no way to interfere without causing disruption and calling attention to your efforts because there is no known physical or electronic link between the two. It's as if a pair of twins die on the same day miles apart. That could be labeled a "0". If only one dies, that could be a "1". Thus you have the basis for binary code - 1's and 0's.

At this point is it still not practical, but someday it will.

It may be workable some day, or it may be an enormous money pit.

It has long been my opinion that money should be spent on engineering to exploit well understood scientific discoveries. More money doesn't necessarily guarantee that a line of scientific research will yield benefits any quicker.

You're confused because he's a liberal.

So who are you voting for?

europe and america has let women have too much of a role doing abilities that they don't have and that is why the sliding backwards... China does NOT allow that.

LOOK at the History of who wins when Males Runs the Nations! today china has males running the nation and china has wisdom closer to the white race

Why is america and europe going against history FACTS ? The Facts are that white male controlled nations has progressed the most.... BUT BUT when it changes to allow the white women to become equal in the control these whole Historical facts of winning may be stopped

and the most wise of the white males chose christianity as their religion and all the wars have been won by them since The Roman Empire

... not sure if serious.

Back
Top Bottom