• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chess

what's your FIDE rating?

The highest... I don't want to make anybody feel bad about themselves by posting it but it is above 2,550.

The highest... I don't want to make anybody feel bad about themselves by posting it but it is above 2,550.

That would make you a world ranked Grandmaster. I knew two grand masters in college and I don't think either one of them was that high. Rohde and Tisdall were not GMs when I knew them but both obtained that rank later as was a guy who came into my college as I was leaving-Joel Benjamin (who wrote Deep Blue). He was the highest ranked player I ever met and IIRC he was over 2550 at one time

That would make you a world ranked Grandmaster. I knew two grand masters in college and I don't think either one of them was that high. Rohde and Tisdall were not GMs when I knew them but both obtained that rank later as was a guy who came into my college as I was leaving-Joel Benjamin (who wrote Deep Blue). He was the highest ranked player I ever met and IIRC he was over 2550 at one time

My children call me Grand Master... as do my pupils and colleagues... You do not have to though.

My children call me Grand Master... as do my pupils and colleagues... You do not have to though.

well I was a GM but not in chess. best I ever got was around 1800. good in hs-got my ass handed to me in college

well I was a GM but not in chess. best I ever got was around 1800. good in hs-got my ass handed to me in college

I am a table tennis master as well...

I am a table tennis master as well...

we should play some time if you ever get out this way. I was rated a bit higher than in chess. Beat a couple 2500s-I was weak against blockers but choppers and loopers I played pretty well

we should play some time if you ever get out this way. I was rated a bit higher than in chess. Beat a couple 2500s-I was weak against blockers but choppers and loopers I played pretty well

I am confident that I will not be to Ohio anytime int the next few years... but my brother and nephew want to take a man's trip across the USA so you never know. :)

I used to play chess against the computer a couple of times a day. I always played it on the "hard" setting because if I'm going to get beat I want it to be quick.

But just once I caught a break and actually beat the computer on the "hard" setting. I was so tickled.

The next game I lost in six moves.

Beating the computer is something extrordinary. You don't want the game to end as you know it will probably not happen again for a long, long time.

I beat the computer online recently and not at the hardest setting either but still I wanted to trash talk him like a NFL tackler. I just wanted to take my damn queen and spike her in the middle of the board.

Hi all!

Recently got back into chess, and have been playing it online at lichess.org. I'm not very good (it estimates my rating at around 1400 and bullet/blitz even lower) but would love to see if anyone from here is interested in playing.

Due to the timing issue of getting two people on at the same time and the fact I prefer longer games (it's hard to improve by playing short timed games) I'd prefer correspondence games, but open to whatever.

If you play anything more than casually you'll probably trash me but I'm up for a game if you are. If you don't know how to play, lichess has plenty of learning resources, and it can teach you pieces, tactics, strategy etc.

Not anticipating much interest but hopefully there are a couple people out there who might be interested! If there are a few people around then feel free to use the thread to organize games or whatever.

Whatever?

How about if I promote my game and try to find a financial backer so you all can play Queensmove:

Chess Enthusiasts

Don't have a run on dollar store chess sets.

I filled mine with clay and painted them since the picture, six constructive colors; white, pink, purple vs blue green gold.

We play for quarters.

Hi all!

Recently got back into chess, and have been playing it online at lichess.org. I'm not very good (it estimates my rating at around 1400 and bullet/blitz even lower) but would love to see if anyone from here is interested in playing.

Due to the timing issue of getting two people on at the same time and the fact I prefer longer games (it's hard to improve by playing short timed games) I'd prefer correspondence games, but open to whatever.

If you play anything more than casually you'll probably trash me but I'm up for a game if you are. If you don't know how to play, lichess has plenty of learning resources, and it can teach you pieces, tactics, strategy etc.

Not anticipating much interest but hopefully there are a couple people out there who might be interested! If there are a few people around then feel free to use the thread to organize games or whatever.

I play lichess all the time and my rating is in the same ballpark. But biggest difference between you and I is that I have ADD so those longer time frames cause me big problems. I go for game that last 10-20 minutes, but longer makes me drift in concentration. Its also why I don't study openings or games to improve and won't play tournaments. I doubt we would be a comfortable matchup, but I am sure glad you posted this topic. We will both find out about others who enjoy the game.

I came by my love of chess by birth. My Dad was a player of some repute in the Pacific Northwest in the late fifties to early 70's. Its amazing how good the game is, to teach pattern recognition, concentration, analytic skills, patience etc in kids. I was never an athlete so this was how I learned how to win or lose with some sense of sportsmanship and class. Good game!

Hi all!

I don't do online for such games. I already have too much on my plate. BUt I do enjoy chess, poor at it though I may be. I even have some variations. I have a 3d chess board (not the Star Trek version which has satellite 2X2 boards),ttand a board for doing 3 and 4 player chess matches. I also have Knightmare Chess, a set of cards that adds a bit of chaos to the game.

I play lichess all the time and my rating is in the same ballpark. But biggest difference between you and I is that I have ADD so those longer time frames cause me big problems. I go for game that last 10-20 minutes, but longer makes me drift in concentration. Its also why I don't study openings or games to improve and won't play tournaments. I doubt we would be a comfortable matchup, but I am sure glad you posted this topic. We will both find out about others who enjoy the game.

I came by my love of chess by birth. My Dad was a player of some repute in the Pacific Northwest in the late fifties to early 70's. Its amazing how good the game is, to teach pattern recognition, concentration, analytic skills, patience etc in kids. I was never an athlete so this was how I learned how to win or lose with some sense of sportsmanship and class. Good game!

I now play 3+2 and 1+0 pretty much exclusively ha. Even when I play longer games I blitz out the first 10 moves out of impatience (which doesn't end well for me).

And yeah the whole pattern recognition side is great. It's crazy how much my rating goes up when I spend some time on puzzles (which are essentially just a game of recognize the tactic).

It's a good pastime for when you're stuck in the house :)

Oh and just so everyone knows I did play Crovax. 'He' crushed me and then got banned from the site for being a cheater :lol:

I now play 3+2 and 1+0 pretty much exclusively ha. Even when I play longer games I blitz out the first 10 moves out of impatience (which doesn't end well for me).

And yeah the whole pattern recognition side is great. It's crazy how much my rating goes up when I spend some time on puzzles (which are essentially just a game of recognize the tactic).

It's a good pastime for when you're stuck in the house :)
what kills me is incredibly little the ratings mean. Mine will soar up for a couple of days leaving me elated with my newly found Bobby Fischer game only to see it fall like a rock in a couple of hours of loss after loss after loss playing in exactly the same range I have set up. I figured out it depends on how many bots in a row, I end up getting and that depends on the time of day and day of the week. Here's a hint. Look at the LENGTH of their chosen name. If it is shorter than like 7 digits, its a bot, if it longer it might actually be a person.

Back
Top Bottom