• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Cheney: I cursed pol and it felt good

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: NY Daily News

:censored

WASHINGTON - An unrepentant Vice President Cheney begrudgingly admitted yesterday that he cursed at Sen. Pat Leahy and bragged that he felt good about it.
A smirking Cheney tried to sidestep the issue of whether he launched the F-word, first saying with a laugh he "probably" did.

But when Fox News' Neil Cavuto pressed him on whether he regretted his choice of words, the venom-tongued veep added, "No. I said it, and as I said, I felt better about it afterward."

Sources said Cheney told Leahy, "Go f--- yourself," after the vice president complained he didn't like the Vermont Democrat attacking Halliburton. The Pentagon says Halliburton, formerly headed by Cheney, overcharged taxpayers $186 million in Iraq, and Leahy calls it war profiteering.

"He had challenged my integrity, and I didn't like that. But most of all I didn't like the fact that after he'd done so that he wanted to act like everything is peaches and cream," Cheney said.

Cheney isn't apologizing, and Leahy's office says he doesn't want one.

It's not the first time an ugly spat has erupted in the Senate chamber. Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) was accused in 1997 of calling Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) "a bitch" on the Senate floor.

Santorum said he never made the remark in his chat with another GOP lawmaker, and when a C-SPAN footage failed to pick up the conversation, Feinstein dropped it without asking for an apology.

In 1993, Sen. Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) whistled "Dixie" at ex-Sen. Carol Moseley-Braun (D-Ill.) in a Senate elevator after she argued against a Helms' measure to renew a federal design patent that includes elements of the Confederate battle flag.

"I'm going to sing 'Dixie' to her until she cries," Helms reportedly said.

Sens. Benjamin Tillman (D-S.C.) and John McLaurin (D-S.C.) were censured after they had a fistfight in the Senate chamber on Feb. 22, 1902, over the Philippines.

The most brutal case was in 1856 when Rep. Preston Brooks (D-S.C.) walked into the Senate and struck abolitionist Sen. Charles Sumner of Massachusetts on the head with a cane and shattered his skull because of Sumner's anti-slavery speech, "The Crime Against Kansas."
:fu :fu :fu :fu

Back
Top Bottom