• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chauvin gets 21 years for violating Floyd’s civil rights

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

A federal judge on Thursday sentenced Derek Chauvin to 21 years in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights, telling the former Minneapolis police officer that what he did was “simply wrong” and “offensive”. U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson sharply criticized Chauvin for his actions on May 25, 2020, when the white officer pinned Floyd to the pavement outside a Minneapolis corner store for more than 9 minutes as the Black man lay dying. Floyd’s killing sparked protests worldwide in a reckoning over police brutality and racism. “I really don’t know why you did what you did,” Magnuson said. “To put your knee on a person’s neck until they expired is simply wrong. … Your conduct is wrong and it is offensive.” Magnuson, who earlier this year presided over the federal trial and convictions of three other officers at the scene, blamed Chauvin alone for what happened. Chauvin was by far the senior officer present, and rebuffed questions from one of the others about whether Floyd should be turned on his side. “You absolutely destroyed the lives of three young officers by taking command of the scene,” Magnuson said.

Even so, Magnuson’s sentence was at the low end of the 20 to 25 years called for in a plea agreement in which Chauvin will serve the federal sentence at the same time he serves his 22 1/2-year sentence on state charges of murder and manslaughter. Because of differences in parole eligibility in the state and federal systems, it means that Chauvin will serve slightly more time behind bars than he would have on the state sentence alone. He will also do his time in the federal system, where he may be safer and may be held under fewer restrictions than in the state system. Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson had asked for 20 years, arguing that Chauvin was remorseful and would make that clear to the court. But Chauvin, in brief remarks, made no direct apology or expression of remorse to Floyd’s family. Magnuson has not set sentencing dates for the three other officers who were on the scene — Tou Thao, J. Alexander Keung and Thomas Lane — who were convicted in February of federal civil rights charges. Lane is also due to be sentenced Sept. 21 after pleading guilty in state court to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter. Thao and Kueng turned down plea deals and are due to be tried in state court Oct. 24 on aiding and abetting charges.

In a plea deal, Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty to the federal charge in return for incarceration in a federal prison (and not the Minnesota Correctional Facility at Oak Park Heights). He will presumably be safer in a federal prison facility.

Chauvin will be eligible for parole on the federal conviction after serving 18 years. He would be 64 years old. Parole is not automatic. If parole is denied and he serves his full federal prison term, Chauvin will be 67 years old.

Hey, he could run for President.

One afternoon career criminal Mr. Floyd met Mr Darwin AND Mr. Devil on the street.

Too bad for Mr Floyd that he never once in his life considered taking a different path.

Good riddance to all of them!

One afternoon career criminal Mr. Floyd met Mr Darwin AND Mr. Devil on the street.

Too bad for Mr Floyd that he never once in his life considered taking a different path.

Hoping a cop kneels on your neck.

iu

In a plea deal, Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty to the federal charge in return for incarceration in a federal prison (and not the Minnesota Correctional Facility at Oak Park Heights). He will presumably be safer in a federal prison facility.

Chauvin will be eligible for parole on the federal conviction after serving 18 years. He would be 64 years old. Parole is not automatic. If parole is denied and he serves his full federal prison term, Chauvin will be 67 years old.
Looks like the one hour a day they let him out of his concrete coffin at a state prison is too scary for Chauvin.

Hail to the givers of justice. Hail to the law that protects everyone. Hail to the avenged, may he rest easy in the arms of his ancestors.

And hope against hope that Chauvin serves his full sentence and leaves prison a better man than went in.

Judge not

With respect:

Wow, dood, you're such a "Proud Systemic Anti-Wokist Paleocon Jedi Master."

Hoping a cop kneels on your neck.
Hoping you our yours does not end up harmed or worse by some lawless out control WORTHLESS scumbag thug like George Floyd.

LIke I said, good riddance to all of them.

Didn't he get 22 years for the murder itself? If so, if the sentences are being carried out at the same time, what is the point? If they are being carried out back to back, then maybe that's something.

Hoping you our yours does not end up harmed or worse by some lawless out control WORTHLESS scumbag thug like George Floyd.

LIke I said, good riddance to all of them.
You're guilty of the same thing Floyd did to earn a police response. The difference is that when you did it, the clerk didn't notice.

You're guilty of the same thing Floyd did to earn a police response. The difference is that when you did it, the clerk didn't notice.
Are suggesting that I go around passing forged monetary notes? Where is this nonsense coming from?

Are suggesting that I go around passing forged monetary notes? Where is this nonsense coming from?
Do you ever pay with cash? If the answer to that is yes, then you have paid with counterfeit money.

I don't care what George Floyd did, he did nothing to deserve a death sentence. Equating the two is lunacy.

Hell...I don't even think Chauvin deserves to be treated the way that George Floyd was treated...

Nope. The cops involved are at fault. Floyd wasn't.

But you knew that already...

Do you ever pay with cash? If the answer to that is yes, then you have paid with counterfeit money.
NO, I have not. And the reason I have not, is because I am what many might be considered a person with a very high level of being able to identify a counterfeit note-- after many years of dealing with them in retail management. The key to being able to spot a bogus monetary note is not by studying counterfeit notes, but studying the correct look and feel of real notes, so that when you look at notes you first see a difference in the fake, then proceed to FEEL the difference (as the paper in the fake ones is impossible to be like a real note), and then you further look closer for the finer signs of it being fake--- the fibers, the ink color and quality, and other details. Made so much easier today by all of the added security features like security threads, watermarks, and color shifts in the ink when viewed at various angles.

Here are photos of the notes which Floyd attempted to hide in the seat of his vehicle after officers responded to the call by the convenience store. Even without a clear photo, or being able to feel these notes, even a child can spot clear indication of them being bogus. Can you see what is obvious in the photo of these bills retrieved from Floyd's car?

02derek-chauvin-trial-blog-counterfeit-bill-1-superJumbo.jpg

NO, I have not. And the reason I have not, is because I am what many might be considered a person with a very high level of being able to identify a counterfeit note-- after many years of dealing with them in retail management. The key to being able to spot a bogus monetary note is not by studying counterfeit notes, but studying the correct look and feel of real notes, so that when you look at notes you first see a difference in the fake, then proceed to FEEL the difference (as the paper in the fake ones is impossible to be like a real note), and then you further look closer for the finer signs of it being fake--- the fibers, the ink color and quality, and other details. Made so much easier today by all of the added security features like security threads, watermarks, and color shifts in the ink when viewed at various angles.

Here are photos of the notes which Floyd attempted to hide in the seat of his vehicle after officers responded to the call by the convenience store. Even without a clear photo, or being able to feel these notes, even a child can spot clear indication of them being bogus. Can you see what is obvious in the photo of these bills retrieved from Floyd's car?

02derek-chauvin-trial-blog-counterfeit-bill-1-superJumbo.jpg
Doesn't matter. Chauvin was at fault, Floyd was not at fault. Case closed. The facts of the law don't care about your feelings.

Nope. The cops involved are at fault. Floyd wasn't.

But you knew that already...
The police are responsible for whatever they may have done that was wrong, and career dope head out of control criminal thug George Floyd was responsible for precipitating the proximate series of events due to his criminal behavior which later resulted in him being murdered. AKA:Darwin award.

NO, I have not.

Sorry, but statistically speaking, that's impossible.

And the reason I have not, is because I am what many might be considered a person with a very high level of being able to identify a counterfeit note-- after many years of dealing with them in retail management.

Cool story, bro.

The key to being able to spot a bogus monetary note is not by studying counterfeit notes, but studying the correct look and feel of real notes, so that when you look at notes you first see a difference in the fake, then proceed to FEEL the difference (as the paper in the fake ones is impossible to be like a real note), and then you further look closer for the finer signs of it being fake--- the fibers, the ink color and quality, and other details. Made so much easier today by all of the added security features like security threads, watermarks, and color shifts in the ink when viewed at various angles.

It doesn't matter how good you think you are; you've paid with fake money. Just because you didn't know it was happening doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Sorry, but statistically speaking, that's impossible.

Cool story, bro.

It doesn't matter how good you think you are; you've paid with fake money. Just because you didn't know it was happening doesn't mean it didn't happen.
What I am curious about is how they could prove that the payer of the fake money made it themselves, as opposed to simply having received it from someone else unknowingly.

What I am curious about is how they could prove that the payer of the fake money made it themselves, as opposed to simply having received it from someone else unknowingly.

It's a moot point because Floyd is dead. Use of fake currency is one of the crimes in which intent is necessary to prove in order to determine guilt. But he's dead, so intent is impossible to prove, and therefore you can't logically say that he criminally passed fake currency.

Back
Top Bottom