• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Challenge for liberals/progressives

I'm posting this challenge for anyone who identifies as a liberal/progressive to post something positive about the United States of America, and to do so without equivocations or disclaimers.
The U.S. economy after WWII was the first in the world to create a middle class that made up a majority of the country. Our Great Middle Class is what raised the bar for workers world-wide and made us the envy of the world. We must never forget what truly made us the greatest nation on Earth.

The U.S. economy after WWII was the first in the world to create a middle class that made up a majority of the country. Our Great Middle Class is what raised the bar for workers world-wide and made us the envy of the world. We must never forget what truly made us the greatest nation on Earth.
And we did it with a solid manufacturing/production base, which now looked down on and offshored.

Since almost every single post/comment I see from liberals and progressives that talk about the U.S. is negative, I thought it would be nice to hear something positive said about our/my nation for once.
Ironic isn't it how you see liberals through such a narrow prism. After all it wasn't liberals who adapted the MAGA slogan as to suggest America had lost it's greatness.
Maybe when you realize it is the people, "WE THE PEOPLE", meaning ALL OF THE PEOPLE, liberals and conservatives, blacks and whites, have already made America great, but that it is a certain whiny group who see danger around every corner that is dragging it down.

Never has this meme been more appropriate:
2riffz.jpg

Thank you. I do as well, and I wish I was more educated about it in the past to know about it before.

One of the things I’m grateful about this country: we do occasionally try to do the right thing.

And we did it with a solid manufacturing/production base, which now looked down on and offshored.

Because capitalism demands maximization of margins.

I'm posting this challenge for anyone who identifies as a liberal/progressive to post something positive about the United States of America, and to do so without equivocations or disclaimers.
The US was foundational for its innovation in human rights and democracy, causing much of the world to adopt a similar stance and has been, generally, on a good trajectory of realizing its own inheritance over the decades towards greater realization of those human rights.

Last edited:
We had a solid manufacturing base in the 1920's too but low wages still brought on the Great depression. The difference in postwar America was that wages increased with profits due to unions and a tax structure that discouraged very high incomes. The phenomenal GDP growth in that period came from the pockets of the middle class. We can do this again but it will take changes that the 1% will not like.

ineq-landing_landing.png

Last edited:
We had a solid manufacturing base in the 1920's too but low wages still brought on the Great depression. The difference in postwar America was that wages increased with profits due to unions and a tax structure that discouraged very high incomes. The phenomenal GDP growth in that period came from the pockets of the middle class. We can do this again but it will take changes that the 1% will not like.
You have to take in the fact that the rest of the developed world was blown up and had lost basically a generation or two of working aged males, which made the U.S. literally the only show in town for a while after the one-two punch of WW1 and WW2.

Mr. Lovebug: "we learned from our mistakes at a much faster rate than many other countries".
If only the police forces in D.C. learned from 9/11 that they needed to communicate with the FBI, National Guard, city police, capital police, etc. so as to prevent a mob of people from invading the Capitol building.
So many security forces and so little coordination.
And stupid Pelosi wants make sure everyone learns that's what happened.

You have to take in the fact that the rest of the developed world was blown up and had lost basically a generation or two of working aged males, which made the U.S. literally the only show in town for a while after the one-two punch of WW1 and WW2.
Yes our economy was nearly all internal and imports/exports were minimal until the 1970's. That is why the steadily increasing wages were the key to the GDP growth. Consumer spending was king as it still is today.

Alright, I'll bite: there is nothing good about the United States that shouldn't be qualified, or stated in equivocal terms. But then, there's never been anything in the world that would fit your bill here--there is no such thing as unqualified or unadulterated good in this world. Never has been, probably never will be. I doubt seriously anyone could think of something existing that doesn't have some tinge of evil to it--a tinge that they themselves would recognize if they're being entirely honest.

I could list a lot of positives, but in November a rare demonstration of bona fide American exceptionalism happened: we used democracy to save ourselves from fascism. I'm not sure any other country in a full descent into authoritarianism actually managed to utilize democratic mechanisms rather than violence to save itself.

If only the police forces in D.C. learned from 9/11 that they needed to communicate with the FBI, National Guard, city police, capital police, etc. so as to prevent a mob of people from invading the Capitol building.
So many security forces and so little coordination.
And stupid Pelosi wants make sure everyone learns that's what happened.
Why is it "stupid" to learn from our mistakes? Why is learning ever stupid?

Alright, I'll bite: there is nothing good about the United States that shouldn't be qualified, or stated in equivocal terms. But then, there's never been anything in the world that would fit your bill here--there is no such thing as unqualified or unadulterated good in this world. Never has been, probably never will be. I doubt seriously anyone could think of something existing that doesn't have some tinge of evil to it--a tinge that they themselves would recognize if they're being entirely honest.
Ah....so if you have a wife or family and you complement them you also throw in a couple of negatives because nothing can be talked about singularly in a positive manner. Weird.

I could list a lot of positives, but in November a rare demonstration of bona fide American exceptionalism happened: we used democracy to save ourselves from fascism. I'm not sure any other country in a full descent into authoritarianism actually managed to utilize democratic mechanisms rather than violence to save itself.
I added a caveat that it can't be just a partisan shitpost that is just a backhanded insult about Trump. You make the 3rd person that found such a simple task difficult without it actually being a coded insult.

I added a caveat that it can't be just a partisan shitpost that is just a backhanded insult about Trump. You make the 3rd person that found such a simple task difficult without it actually being a coded insult.
You remind me of a past poster who demanded a single example of a terrorist attack on George W. Bush's watch, not counting 9/11.

We ate the freeest nation on Earth. You are free to speak your mind, practice your religion and the press can print what they see fit.

You remind me of a past poster who demanded a single example of a terrorist attack on George W. Bush's watch, not counting 9/11.
Sorry that you think so low of the U.S. that you can't make a singular positive statement that isn't a coded insult.

America has played a major role in reducing extreme poverty globally.

True, but who moved it offshore? Free business owners exercising their freedom and capitalism.

Sorry that you think so low of the U.S. that you can't make a singular positive statement that isn't a coded insult.
sorry you think so lowly of people that you have to put guardrails on your OP.

sorry you think so lowly of people that you have to put guardrails on your OP.
Yes...because my intent is clear, but people were trying to weasel out of it. I'm like a genuine positive comments about the U.S. that doesn't have negatives attached to it. And this doesn't mean that there aren't problems, there is no place that has no problems. That doesn't mean one can't be proud or positive about some aspects or accomplishments of their country.

All I see from liberals and progressives, day in and day out, is extreme criticism. Nothing positive, ever. It's gotten to the point where there is even a NYT article saying that the American flag is divisive now. There has to be something to unite over.

True, but who moved it offshore? Free business owners exercising their freedom and capitalism.
Yup...which is why I'm in favor of taking measures to reduce that effect, like tariffs on cheap labor/regulatory countries to make it a more equal playing field.

A nation's democratic institutions saved itself from fascism. Sorry that you think so low of the U.S. that you don't see this as an amazing thing. Name me for one other country that managed to use democratic institutions to stop its descent into fascism. And while I'm not a historian, I'm not sure there is one.

Back
Top Bottom