• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Challenge for liberals/progressives

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I'm posting this challenge for anyone who identifies as a liberal/progressive to post something positive about the United States of America, and to do so without equivocations or disclaimers.

The United States (or Americans) has been instrumental — or even foundational — in many social and political reform movements. Women's movement, the Labor movement, LGBT equality, etc.

Edit: I'd call special attention to the LGBT movement. So much of modern day global LGBT history is one in the same as American history. You can ask just about anyone who is a gender or sexuality minority what "Stonewall" or "Christopher Street" was and they'll know, even though those events happened thousands of miles away from and decades ago. Or, for example, many of symbols like the Pride Flag were American and adopted globally.

Last edited:
The United States (or Americans) has been instrumental — or even foundational — in many social and political reform movements. Women's movement, the Labor movement, LGBT equality, etc.
Sadly, you identify as a centrist, not liberal/progressive.

You can always change it, though.

I agree, though your political leaning shows centrist. I appreciate your contribution but I'm looking for those who actually specifically identify as liberal/progressive.

I agree, though your political leaning shows centrist. I appreciate your contribution but I'm looking for those who actually specifically identify as liberal/progressive.
If he changed it now, I think it would make a difference. No?

In any case, I will defer to your judgment.

I don't see much point in labels. However if Gallup called me up for a poll, I'd answer "progressive" or "center-left," and "I'd rather eat glass than vote for a Republican."

I'm posting this challenge for anyone who identifies as a liberal/progressive to post something positive about the United States of America, and to do so without equivocations or disclaimers.

Our country is so great that 80+ million can come together and reject a second term for Trump....

Our country is so great that 80+ million can come together and reject Trump's second term...

Blowback.

I knew that was coming. Next liberal/progressives will be mentioning the Chauvin verdict, the arrest and incarceration of the American patriots for innocently storming the Capital, Manafort being in jail and so forth.

The list is endless.

This was a bad idea, @Fishking, and it pains me to say that.

Last edited:
Mr. Lovebug: "we learned from our mistakes at a much faster rate than many other countries".

We recognized a clear and present danger in the former guy and elected a legitimate liberal democrat to correct the ship and try to fix/stymie some of the damage.

We recognized a clear and present danger in the former guy and elected a legitimate liberal democrat to correct the ship and try to fix/stymie some of the damage.
I gotta hand it to you, you figured out how to make a simple request into a partisan comment while still technically answering the question.

I'm adding a caveat. It can't have something to do with Trump or partisan BS. Something truly positive about the nation we live in, not about how big mad you were about the last election.

I'm adding a caveat. It can't have something to do with Trump or partisan BS. Something truly positive about the nation we live in, not about how big mad you were about the last election.
Good luck with that BS caveat.

The idea of America prevailed. But only if we can keep it.

I don't see much point in labels. However if Gallup called me up for a poll, I'd answer "progressive" or "center-left," and "I'd rather eat glass than vote for a Republican."

Then change it to progressive in your profile... What are you ashamed of?

Challenge for Liberals? As if Liberals all hate the U.S.
GAWD!
As a Canadian I actually love the U.S. - have many fond memories of multiple trips I have taken throughout the States, always was treated with courtesy, in my younger years got laid a lot by women a bit more adventurous than Canadian women, enjoyed hospitality both from white and black hosts, was even introduced to grits by a buxom waitress who thought my Canadian "accent" was cute.

Why was this supposed to be challenging?

I gotta hand it to you, you figured out how to make a simple request into a partisan comment while still technically answering the question.

I think *you* just did that. ;)

I’m grateful we live in a country that now accepts Juneteenth as a national holiday.

Then change it to progressive in your profile... What are you ashamed of?
Left/right persuasions are narrow lenses to view or interpret the world, but the world does not have any reason to progress according those theories we've invented. The only laws that shape the world are natural. Tomorrow the laws of nature could cause an asteroid to smash into the Earth tomorrow and wipe out all of humanity. It doesn't matter what views you have on tax policy or morality. Whatever you believed, that asteroid is not going to disobey the natural gravitational forces that is causing it and the Earth to attract.

So building off of that notion, I believe that public policies ought to be shaped based on observation and empirical evidence. Circumstances change. The world changes. What worked today, may not work tomorrow. We need to study the world around us, including how we interact amongst ourselves, to come up with the most suitable public policies. It's not very smart to lock ourselves into a label or one way of thinking.

That is a very un-conservative position. Conservatives are allergic to facts and empiricism. "Reality has a liberal bias," as the saying goes. Which I think is not because liberal or progressives are "correct" by any means, but because conservatism in general strives to subordinate itself to authority, tradition or revelation (like religious perspectives). It chooses to build dogmas and attack facts that are divergent.

Combine that with my opinion that we ought to be kind to one another, and that all puts me in the center-left.

I’m grateful we live in a country that now accepts Juneteenth as a national holiday.
Thank you. I do as well, and I wish I was more educated about it in the past to know about it before.

Good luck with that BS caveat.

The idea of America prevailed. But only if we can keep it.
It's not a BS caveat. It's forcing someone to actually write something positive about the country, not make a backhanded insult about the last President.

Challenge for Liberals? As if Liberals all hate the U.S.
Since almost every single post/comment I see from liberals and progressives that talk about the U.S. is negative, I thought it would be nice to hear something positive said about our/my nation for once.

Since almost every single post/comment I see from liberals and progressives that talk about the U.S. is negative, I thought it would be nice to hear something positive said about our/my nation for once.

Back
Top Bottom