• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CDC Gun Safety Studies

If I recall correctly it was a CDC study a few years ago that said legally own guns were used far more often for defense than for illegal purposes.

You are not recalling correctly

A 2013 study ordered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and conducted by The National Academies’ Institute of Medicine and National Research Council reported that, “Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence”:

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

Do the google and you will find that most results fail to provide the last few words "as common as offensive uses by criminals"

A 2013 study ordered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and conducted by The National Academies’ Institute of Medicine and National Research Council reported that, “Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence”:

Do the google and you will find that most results fail to provide the last few words "as common as offensive uses by criminals"
Those are my words based on the data supplied by several reported studies.

I still haven't figured out how Joe's NFA plan is supposed to work. Do they current owners retain possession while waiting for approval, or do they have to surrender then until approval? In any case, it would take years using the current process to put even the slightest dent in that backlog.

The Supreme Court has already shot down prior Democrat attempts to violate the Second Amendment. Like their attempt to ban firearms near schools. Which the Supreme Court held to be unconstitutional in United States v. Alfonso D. Lopez, Jr., 514 U.S. 549 (1995). Or like their "Universal Background Check" they embedded within the Brady Bill. Which the Supreme Court tossed in Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898 (1997).

Either the Democrat scum have a very short memory, or they are hoping that we do.

I still haven't figured out how Joe's NFA plan is supposed to work. Do they current owners retain possession while waiting for approval, or do they have to surrender then until approval? In any case, it would take years using the current process to put even the slightest dent in that backlog.

There's no way to enforce it, so they would rely on the Fudds that will gladly register their guns and then start picking people off during traffic stops and other searches.

Talk about completely missing the context...

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

criminals cannot legally own firearms. It is also illegal for criminals to use weapons offensively (or possess them). The legal use of firearms by those allowed to own firearms under 18 USC 922 is many times higher than the illegal USE of firearms by those who obtained those weapons LEGALLY.

Talk about completely missing the context...

Seems to me that you are the one completely missing the context... I was simply replying to Bullseye's earlier claim

If I recall correctly it was a CDC study a few years ago that said legally own guns were used far more often for defense than for illegal purposes.

"the same as" or "equal to" is not commonly seen as "far more often"

criminals cannot legally own firearms. It is also illegal for criminals to use weapons offensively (or possess them). The legal use of firearms by those allowed to own firearms under 18 USC 922 is many times higher than the illegal USE of firearms by those who obtained those weapons LEGALLY.

I agree that convicted felons should not "legally own firearms", however, are you saying that every criminal act involving firearms is committed by a person who has been previously convicted of a crime?

What study are you thinking of when you say that the legal use of firearms is many times higher than the illegal use of firearms?

Seems to me that you are the one completely missing the context... I was simply replying to Bullseye's earlier claim

"the same as" or "equal to" is not commonly seen as "far more often"
And I chose those words purposely. Defensive gun uses far outnumber criminal gun usage.

I agree that convicted felons should not "legally own firearms", however, are you saying that every criminal act involving firearms is committed by a person who has been previously convicted of a crime?

What study are you thinking of when you say that the legal use of firearms is many times higher than the illegal use of firearms?

1) time after time, studies indicate that 80% or more of murders are committed by felons. Interestingly 80% of the victims are also mopes

2) think about the number of people who shoot targets, plink, or hunt vs the number of criminal misuses of firearms

1) time after time, studies indicate that 80% or more of murders are committed by felons. Interestingly 80% of the victims are also mopes

I've not found one 'study' showing 80% of murders were committed by felons, I did find two reports from the Feds, one covering the period 1990-2002, by the Bureau of Justice Statistics found 67% of killers had felony records. A more recent report found 56% had prior convictions. A majority of solved cases but not 80%.

Then there's the fact that the majority of murders are committed by a person who knew the victim - family or acquaintances
In 2011, in incidents of murder for which the relationships of murder victims and offenders were known, 54.3 percent were killed by someone they knew (acquaintance, neighbor, friend, boyfriend, etc.); 24.8 percent of victims were slain by family members. The relationship of murder victims and offenders was unknown in 44.1 percent of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter incidents in 2011.

2) think about the number of people who shoot targets, plink, or hunt vs the number of criminal misuses of firearms

I was wrong in not being more specific. My intent was answering an earlier comment about legal defence use of a firearm and not with recreational usage.

From the Democratic Party platform:
"There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue."
In other words, the Democrats hold the position that we don't know what gun prevention (sic) policies would be effective.

Even in that ignorance, the Democrats are still supporting "common sense" laws like:

Amend the Lautenberg Amendment to cover boyfriends, dating.
Universal background checks.
Repeal PLCAA - Allow gun manufacturers to be sued out of business
Ban "assault weapons"
Ban "large capacity magazines"
Buy-back programs
Impose red flag laws
Ban 3-D printing of guns
Ban bump stocks.
Permit to purchase licensing system
"Charleston" loophole
Mandatory notification of stolen guns
"Hate crime" loophole
No "ghost guns".
Eliminate campus carry
Raise the legal age to purchase a firearm
Increase taxes on guns and ammunition specifically to reduce the number of lawful citizens exercising a Constitutionally protected right
Limit the number of firearms that can be purchased in a month by law abiding citizens.
Ban silencers
Expand gun free zones to universities and colleges

If they don't know what policies will be effective and need CDC to study the issue, why are they pushing for all of these?
‘Common sense’, in this case, is very subjectively defined.
None of this will happen here.

‘Common sense’, in this case, is very subjectively defined.
None of this will happen here.

"Common sense" is understanding the meaning of "shall not be infringed." Which is clearly beyond the ability of the Democratic Party, but we already knew that.

Back
Top Bottom