• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Carbon dioxide causes 80% of global warming

As for peer review, that was not a primary consideration, intellectual property protection
was given a little higher priority.

I definitely get that. I used to publish then when I entered industry everything is now in the form of patents.

Again: does increased warmth in the Gulf and elsewhere in the ocean add to the strength of hurricanes? Does increased warmth in the air allow clouds to retain more moisture and thus potentially DROP more moisture in a particular area? "Triggering", per se, is not the problem, but how air and ocean warmth then affects said systems.

Show me that by modulating 0.01% of our atmosphere at huge economic expense of a benign beneficial naturally occurring gas in our atmospheric envelope we can control climate ..... irrespective of the fact that we have no idea of the effect of doing so and that we have no empirically established idea of the climate sensitifety of said gas ?

Its variation in that big ball in the sky that controls climate. Everything else is just politics :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Show me that by modulating 0.01% of our atmosphere at huge economic expense of a benign beneficial naturally occurring gas in our atmospheric envelope we can control climate ..... irrespective of the fact that we have no idea of the effect of doing so and that we have no empirically established idea of the climate sensitifety of said gas ?

Its variation in that big ball in the sky that controls climate. Everything else is just politics :rolleyes:

“It’s the sun”. Same old denier talking point.

Same alarmist refusal to answer :rolleyes:
I was trying to think of a clever analogy to describe how the Sun could remain nearly constant, when the energy that reached the
Earth actually increased. The best I can come up with is a light bulb behind a window with a venetian blind.
If we start some time in the mid 1700's with the blind allowing in the maximum amount of light,
and gradually reduce the light passing the blind, (like the aerosols from coal burning).
Laws changed globally in the 1970's and 80's limiting aerosols, rapidly corrected nearly two centuries of gradual dimming.
So we have ~ 200 years of slowing closing the blind, and 40 years of opening it back to near maximum light.
The light from the light bulb never changed, but the light getting past the blind changed quite a bit.
It might even look a bit like a hockey stick!:eek:

Same alarmist refusal to answer :rolleyes:

It's not the sun that is the primary cause of today's global warming, it's human-produced CO2. Show a study that shows otherwise. You can't.

It's not the sun that is the primary cause of today's global warming, it's human-produced CO2. Show a study that shows otherwise. You can't.

I'm not the one claiming there is anything wrong with our climate so the burden of proof is all yours.

Show me the empirical math whereby moderating 0.01% (100PPM CO2 supposedly attributable to humanity) of our atmosphere at colossal economic cost will make anything better and why would it be better than what we have today and for whom ?

I'm not the one claiming there is anything wrong with our climate so the burden of proof is all yours.

Show me the empirical math whereby moderating 0.01% (100PPM CO2 supposedly attributable to humanity) of our atmosphere at colossal economic cost will make anything better and why would it be better than what we have today and for whom ?

You were speculating on the causes of the present global warming. I merely corrected your wrong information by noting what the experts in the field, climate scientists, say.

You were speculating on the causes of the present global warming. I merely corrected your wrong information by noting what the experts in the field, climate scientists, say.

So what kind of climate is it that you want and without impoverishing billions how will you achieve it ? :rolleyes:

So what kind of climate is it that you want and without impoverishing billions how will you achieve it ? :rolleyes:

What makes you say that it will impoverish millions? It might be that NOT doing anything about it will be far worse economically for "millions" in the long run because of the potential weather effects of a climate that is getting warmer. Do hurricanes gain more strength in warmer waters? Do storm clouds hold more water and thus are able to dump more water, thereby causing flooding, when the atmosphere is warmer? What would be the effects of such instances?

What makes you say that it will impoverish millions? It might be that NOT doing anything about it will be far worse economically for "millions" in the long run because of the potential weather effects of a climate that is getting warmer. Do hurricanes gain more strength in warmer waters? Do storm clouds hold more water and thus are able to dump more water, thereby causing flooding, when the atmosphere is warmer? What would be the effects of such instances?

By all means show evidence that doing what you want (whatever that is ?) will save more lives by artificially impoverishing and foreshortening the lives of billions ?

Your the guy that hates us humans right (well the rich ones I'm guessing?). You do realise that the cost of economically punishing those few you envy using this fabricated AGW stick will in actuality be an absolute catastrophe for the poorest

Last edited:
And why do you see only the negative in global warming?
For example, in my life I observe how regions that used to belong to the zones of risky farming and nothing but potatoes could not be grown, now grow watermelons, corn, hops.
For Russia, a northern sea route has opened up, many times safer and without pirates than the well-known alternative.

There are many factors... but you miss the main nuance... Why did you decide that the world would follow the example of the United States?
An industrial country, the first economy in the world with an economically spoiled population, can afford any game of green energy, but developing countries can not afford it, for them green energy means that their poverty is eternal.
Sit and talk with a haughty air about bunnies who have nowhere to poop... this is infantilism.
There are many countries in the world where people have nothing to eat and just feed them is not an option, they need work, they need industry. In the United States, half of the population can work in the service sector, if you do the same in Turkmenistan, in 7 years, half of them will die of starvation... grow up... or play your green games, but know that the world is not with you, often, people abroad in the United States have to survive, not live...

And why do you see only the negative in global warming?
For example, in my life I observe how regions that used to belong to the zones of risky farming and nothing but potatoes could not be grown, now grow watermelons, corn, hops.
For Russia, a northern sea route has opened up, many times safer and without pirates than the well-known alternative.

There are many factors... but you miss the main nuance... Why did you decide that the world would follow the example of the United States?
An industrial country, the first economy in the world with an economically spoiled population, can afford any game of green energy, but developing countries can not afford it, for them green energy means that their poverty is eternal.
Sit and talk with a haughty air about bunnies who have nowhere to poop... this is infantilism.
There are many countries in the world where people have nothing to eat and just feed them is not an option, they need work, they need industry. In the United States, half of the population can work in the service sector, if you do the same in Turkmenistan, in 7 years, half of them will die of starvation... grow up... or play your green games, but know that the world is not with you, often, people abroad in the United States have to survive, not live...
I wish it were only the US, but the EU is very much involved.
On the plus side, some of the spin offs from the flawed concept that is AGW, could have global good consequences for the worlds poor.
It is now possible to store solar energy, by creating natural gas, or other liquid hydrocarbons.
This could convert long summer days of sunshine, to fuel for winter heating, or tractor fuel, ect.

By all means show evidence that doing what you want (whatever that is ?) will save more lives by artificially impoverishing and foreshortening the lives of billions ?

Your the guy that hates us humans right (well the rich ones I'm guessing?). You do realise that the cost of economically punishing those few you envy using this fabricated AGW stick will in actuality be an absolute catastrophe for the poorest

I already answered that in post #186. Read it again and respond to it rather than simply reposting the very same FALSE denier talking point as before.

I wish it were only the US, but the EU is very much involved.
On the plus side, some of the spin offs from the flawed concept that is AGW, could have global good consequences for the worlds poor.
It is now possible to store solar energy, by creating natural gas, or other liquid hydrocarbons.
This could convert long summer days of sunshine, to fuel for winter heating, or tractor fuel, ect.

Only if its at extremely low cost and that is still some way off. Until then the global warming junkies in the west are quite happy to let the third world continue in poverty in order to bolster their virtue signalled utopian fantasies :(

Only if its at extremely low cost and that is still some way off. Until then the global warming junkies in the west are quite happy to let the third world continue in poverty in order to bolster their virtue signalled utopian fantasies :(

Right wing emotion-based talking points that mean nothing in terms of real debate.

The costs only has to be lower than the costs of making the same fuel from oil, and the trend curves are already in motion.
Some of the irony is that the rules on solar feed in tariffs and net metering, are slowing the pace.
Also when man made carbon neutral fuel shows up at the pumps, those same virtue signalers,
will be the ones who keep the price artificially high to slow wide adoption.
If actually lowering CO2 emissions were the goal, many countries in Europe could lower their
fuel tax on carbon neutral fuels to make them the least expensive at the pump,
but climate be dammed if it means lowering the revenue.

Last edited:

Developing countries are already feeling the devastating effects of fossil fuels.

That at the same time there can be great opportunities for developing countries with a transition away from fossil fuels.

Right wing emotion-based talking points that mean nothing in terms of real debate.

One day I'll actually get an answers from you to the very pertinent questions I've put to you multiple times now ..... I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:

Reactions: PoS
One day I'll actually get an answers from you to the very pertinent questions I've put to you multiple times now ..... I'm not holding my breath :rolleyes:
It's typical enviro-nut false logic. They keep claiming they have facts and science to back their loopy beliefs but when pressed to show them they fail to produce facts of any kind.

It's typical enviro-nut false logic. They keep claiming they have facts and science to back their loopy beliefs but when pressed to show them they fail to produce facts of any kind.

Do you ever read? Just curious because the science is EASILY available. It's not easy to understand but you can find it. And I suspect you already have been shown COUNTLESS times the science behind AGW. But you don't like it (not that you understand it but disagree with it, just that you don't like it) so you demand yet another person to explain it to you and when they get exasperated showing you how to look up information on your own you get to say "See, they didn't explain it to me! They must not have anything!"

It's like standing outside the library and complaining that no one has ever shown you a book.

Actually you are quite wrong. Many of us actually want more economic assistance to these third world countries but we aren't allowed that because the various conservative parties in our countries won't allow it.

Back
Top Bottom